Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2024 11:21:54 PM EDT
It seems that one of the weakest points (based on ar burndowns) is the gas tube. What would be a high quality, high heat capable, gas tube that would take the abuse?
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:25:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Voland:
It seems that one of the weakest points (based on ar burndowns) is the gas tube. What would be a high quality, high heat capable, gas tube that would take the abuse?
View Quote

That is actually by design.  The gas tube should fail before something more catastrophic happens.  Why would you want to abuse your weapon?
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:35:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Outside of YT videos there’s no need to worry about that. If dumping that much ammo is really a concern I’d suggest something belt fed with spare barrels.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:35:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe the Vseven extreme one?
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:39:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

That is actually by design.  The gas tube should fail before something more catastrophic happens.  Why would you want to abuse your weapon?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

On the 20" A1s.

Most M4s with a proper milspec gas tube, the tube will survive past a barrel rupture.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:41:58 PM EDT
[#5]

View All Quotes

I don't, and I likely never will. He'll, I don't think I've ever ever done a mag dump. That said, I'd like to know that if I had to, I could, worry free. I use melonite tubes today, but wondering if there is anything better.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:50:52 PM EDT
[#6]

I don't, and I likely never will. He'll, I don't think I've ever ever done a mag dump. That said, I'd like to know that if I had to, I could, worry free. I use melonite tubes today, but wondering if there is anything better.
View Quote

A proper spec USGI gas tube will handle a good amount of sustained fire.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:54:50 PM EDT
[#7]

I don't, and I likely never will. He'll, I don't think I've ever ever done a mag dump. That said, I'd like to know that if I had to, I could, worry free.
View Quote

I’m sure your current gas tube will survive a mag dump.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:00:06 AM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

You're not going to burn up a gas tube
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:08:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#9]
Admittedly, not a fan of Chris. But the guy is not stupid.

https://smallarmssolutions.com/home/what-does-destruction-testing-on-firearms-tell-us

ETA: Mil testing:

FIRE TO DESTRUCTION TESTING
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:16:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By j3_:
View Quote

This

It's inconel alloy.

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:18:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Nehi:

This

It's inconel alloy.

View All Quotes

This

It's inconel alloy.

And...
From $75.00 to $87.00
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:38:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

And...
From $75.00 to $87.00
View All Quotes

This

It's inconel alloy.

And...
From $75.00 to $87.00

Yeah, it's expensive. Also, the purpose is questionable.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:39:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Melonite tubes are nice
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:16:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm sure I'll never break a regular tube, but for $15, I got a nitrided tube from Spikes for my "AR-RPK" builds.  Why not, it was cheap?
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 4:47:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I've never heard of a gas tube failure outside the full auto mag dump videos.  Maybe there are some failures, but I've never heard of one.

Anyone heard of one giving up in actual combat?

If you just want something better there are melonite treated  tubes that may last a couple of hundred rounds longer on a full auto mag dump.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 5:56:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By APBullet:
I've never heard of a gas tube failure outside the full auto mag dump videos.  Maybe there are some failures, but I've never heard of one.

Anyone heard of one giving up in actual combat?

If you just want something better there are melonite treated  tubes that may last a couple of hundred rounds longer on a full auto mag dump.
View Quote

The standard combat loadout isn't enough ammo to smoke a gas tube. It certainly may have happened but I don't know that it's ever been publicized.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 6:33:02 AM EDT
[#17]

And...
From $75.00 to $87.00
View Quote

If you don't want to waste that much cash, get a Spike's nitride gas tube for a little more durability than stock at only a small cost premium.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 8:11:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By WrenchGuy:

If you don't want to waste that much cash, get a Spike's nitride gas tube for a little more durability than stock at only a small cost premium.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WrenchGuy:

And...
From $75.00 to $87.00

I have a few on guns that I didn't want the SS tubes visible through the FF handguards.  

The inconel has it's advantages for certain, weighing those advantages vs real world use is personal preference.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 9:57:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lysanderxiii] [#19]

View Quote

Common misconception, let us please not keep repeating it.

The M16 was designed with the small diameter barrel under the hand guard, when the M4 first came out it had a similar profile under the hand guard.

Both of these profiles will fail before the gas tube under extreme firing schedules.

"Fire to Destruction Test of 5.56mm M4A1 Carbine and M16A2 Rifle Barrels" demonstrated that and M16A2 will fail at around 500 rounds and 1600 degrees F.  The M4A1 will rupture the barrel at a similar number of rounds and a similar temperature.

The heavy barrel assembly, P/N 12991850, was introduced in 2001 to increase the number of rounds before failure, as knee-jerk reaction to a single incident, in which someone did manage to fire enough rounds to rupture the barrel in combat.   They decided that the objective was to double the barrel life, so looked at where the maximum heating is and added enough material absorb the heat.  The side effect of that change was that the barrel would withstand more than the gas tube (approximately 900 rounds).  

It was not "by design," it was "by accident."

EDIT:  Yes, that is an M16A2 with the 3-round burst, and an M4A1 with full-automatic.  The 3-round burst feature does not slow the barrel heating enough make an appreciable difference in the number of rounds before failure.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:04:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#20]
Common misconception, let us please not keep repeating it.
View Quote

Am I going to have to dig up the info to corroborate it?  I have it saved, but my saved shit is getting large and hard to find so give me a few days  

And, we are talking original M16 here, not A2, not M4
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:53:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lysanderxiii] [#21]

Am I going to have to dig up the info to corroborate it?  I have it saved, but my saved shit is getting large and hard to find so give me a few days  

And, we are talking original M16 here, not A2, not M4
View Quote

The M16A1 and M16A2 barrels are the same contour under the hand guard.  Why would an M16A1 barrel last twice as long as an M16A2 barrel?  It wouldn't.  In "M16A1 Thermal Barrel Firing Test", they hooked up a bunch of thermocouples to an M16A1 barrel and shot a whole bunch of rounds at various rates of fire.  While they did not actually fail a barrel (it was deemed unnecessarily dangerous at the time), they did predict where the barrel would most likely fail, about 3 to 4 inches behind the front sight, about where your hand would be in normal firing.  But, due the fact that it would take 500 rounds fired as fast a possible, the danger of this actually happening and injuring anyone was extremely remote.

(images from "Fire to destruction Test of 5.56mm M4A1 Carbine and M16A2 Rifle barrels")

The highest temperature is reached 6 inches from the breech.  The thinnest part of the barrel (under the hand guards) is 12 inches from the breech.  The weakest part of the barrel when heated by firing is going to be between the two, right about 9 inches from the breech.  And where did they fail?  Right there at 9 inches.  For the M4, the highest temperature is at 2 and the thinnest part of the barrel is at 3, and they fail right in between those two spots.

(images from "M16A1 Thermal Barrel Firing Test")

You won't find anything to show that the gas tube was designed to fail first, because it wasn't.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

Meloniting a strain-hardening alloy (like austenitic stainless steel) is completely silly.  If it isn't a low-carbon variant (304L - "L" for "Low Carbon") then exposure to the meloniting temperatures has "sensitized it" - it is now susceptible to intergranular corrosion, whereas before it was not.

Even if it is a low-carbon stainless steel, exposure to the meloniting temperature has killed its strength.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:07:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lysanderxiii] [#23]

https://smallarmssolutions.com/home/what-does-destruction-testing-on-firearms-tell-us

View Quote

He is also spreading the myth that the 20 barrel is designed to fail the gas tube first. It isn't.

In fact, you can calculate where and when a barrel will fail with good accuracy.  

You first need the pressure vs distance curve for the ammunition being used, programs like Quickload will give you this.

The next thing you need is the barrel profile, from which you get the wall thickness of the barrel as you go down the barrel.

From these to things you can calculate (and graph) the hoop stress on the barrel in relation to the the distance from the breech.

Next you need the temperature profile in relation to distance from the breech, that can be gained by referencing the graph in my last post.

Look up the yield strength vs temperature graph for the particular steel in the barrel, and compare it to the hoop stress graph.  The lowest temperature that exceeds the highest hoop stress is where the barrel will fail, and that temperature will be when it occurs.

To find the number of rounds required, go back to the barrel temperature graph, find the closest thermocouple to the failure point and project the line upwards until you reach the failure temperature.  That will give you the time to get to that temperature, and the rate of fire will give you the number of rounds, plus or minus 50 rounds and about a inch or so.

If you do that for an M16A1 barrel firing M193 ammunition firing one twenty round magazine every 5 seconds, failure should occur 10.661" from the breech after 532 rounds.  Not very far off the experimental data from the M16A2, which failed 8 inches from the breech after 491 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:36:10 PM EDT
[#24]
To sum all this up, OP, unless you have a FA lower and plan to run somewhere north of 500-1000 rounds through it without stopping, there is literally nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:51:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j3_] [#25]
I watched five random ones and saw one the gas tube gave out on but who knows if it was a spec made tube or not. I'm not sure cooking it in burning plastic handguards during a firing test counts as a real failure anyway.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 3:10:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By lysanderxiii:

He is also spreading the myth that the 20 barrel is designed to fail the gas tube first. It isn't.

In fact, you can calculate where and when a barrel will fail with good accuracy.  

You first need the pressure vs distance curve for the ammunition being used, programs like Quickload will give you this.

The next thing you need is the barrel profile, from which you get the wall thickness of the barrel as you go down the barrel.

From these to things you can calculate (and graph) the hoop stress on the barrel in relation to the the distance from the breech.

Next you need the temperature profile in relation to distance from the breech, that can be gained by referencing the graph in my last post.

Look up the yield strength vs temperature graph for the particular steel in the barrel, and compare it to the hoop stress graph.  The lowest temperature that exceeds the highest hoop stress is where the barrel will fail, and that temperature will be when it occurs.

To find the number of rounds required, go back to the barrel temperature graph, find the closest thermocouple to the failure point and project the line upwards until you reach the failure temperature.  That will give you the time to get to that temperature, and the rate of fire will give you the number of rounds, plus or minus 50 rounds and about a inch or so.

If you do that for an M16A1 barrel firing M193 ammunition firing one twenty round magazine every 5 seconds, failure should occur 10.661" from the breech after 532 rounds.  Not very far off the experimental data from the M16A2, which failed 8 inches from the breech after 491 rounds.
View All Quotes

Calculations/ graphs are not one of my strengths.

I guess that I am guilty as well of perpetuating some of the derp.

I have read several firsthand accounts from credible sources detailing how  at ~400+ rounds of full auto fire their gas tubes on the A1 guns turned red hot and dog legged then burst, shutting the gun down.

I always chalked it up to design limitations rather than intended design traits though.

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 5:08:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tiribulus] [#27]

I have a few on guns that I didn't want the SS tubes visible through the FF handguards.
View Quote
I have one like that with this gleaming gas tube shining through a Timber Creek Enforcer handguard. I have a Bexar Arms niitrided tube I've been meaning to put in it for this very reason.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#28]

I have read several firsthand accounts from credible sources detailing how  at ~400+ rounds of full auto fire their gas tubes on the A1 guns turned red hot and dog legged then burst, shutting the gun down.

I always chalked it up to design limitations rather than intended design traits though.

View Quote

The highest pressure in the gas tube is right at the gas port, that's about 4,000 psi.  It drops to about half that at the gas key.  Similarly, the highest temperature of the gas in the tube is at the front sight, and that is where the tube gets hottest.

The most likely place a tube would fail is immediately after the front sight, not at the bends.

As an aside the maximum pressure that size and material tube can withstand in 7,000 psi.  At 1,000° F its strength is 73%, at 1,200° F, its at 37%, the tube will have to be around 1090° F to pop.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:33:34 PM EDT
[#29]

The highest pressure in the gas tube is right at the gas port, that's about 4,000 psi.  It drops to about half that at the gas key.  Similarly, the highest temperature of the gas in the tube is at the front sight, and that is where the tube gets hottest.

The most likely place a tube would fail is immediately after the front sight, not at the bends.

As an aside the maximum pressure that size and material tube can withstand in 7,000 psi.  At 1,000° F its strength is 73%, at 1,200° F, its at 37%, the tube will have to be around 1090° F to pop.
View All Quotes

Thank you for the calculations.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I disagree.

A soldier blazing away in a fight for his life doesn't need the gas tube to pop to preserve his rifle, while he dies,  for the next alive guy to repair.

I think the gas tube as a fusible link is just youtube shop talk. It's simply the weakest part of the design.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By GracieMae:
I disagree.

A soldier blazing away in a fight for his life doesn't need the gas tube to pop to preserve his rifle, while he dies,  for the next alive guy to repair.

I think the gas tube as a fusible link is just youtube shop talk. It's simply the weakest part of the design.
View Quote

Have you ever seen a gas tube fail like that?
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:51:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

View Quote

I've seen several do it on bumpfire guns.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:54:51 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

What were the approximate round counts? We talking realistic load outs or burn down status?
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:22:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#35]

What were the approximate round counts? We talking realistic load outs or burn down status?
View All Quotes

Definitely burn down/abuse cycles. 12+ or so  30 rd mags back to back.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:33:23 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

That certainly seems to agree with what I've read over the years. I just think it's a non issue for semi auto users with anything resembling normal firing schedules.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:37:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#37]

That certainly seems to agree with what I've read over the years. I just think it's a non issue for semi auto users with anything resembling normal firing schedules
View All Quotes

That certainly seems to agree with what I've read over the years. I just think it's a non issue for semi auto users with anything resembling normal firing schedules

Definitely.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:03:30 PM EDT
[#38]

The inconel has it's advantages for certain, weighing those advantages vs real world use is personal preference.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:53:43 AM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

12 pounds of ammunition . . . ?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:41:16 AM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

That would be very close.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:43:11 AM EDT
[#41]
I will never shoot hard enough to melt a gas tube.  That said I am partial to Spikes melonited gas tubes.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:09:23 AM EDT
[#42]
much to do about nothing

USGI is fine
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:09:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mudholestomper] [#43]
The biggest failure point in an ar is the cost of ammo. If you want to burn up a gas tube, it’s going to cost way more to purchase a full auto and the ammo and mags required to destroy the gas tube than you’ll probably ever shoot and most definitely in one rapid fire sitting.

Gas tube failure due to an intentional burn down is the last thing you should be focusing on. It’s the equivalent of focusing on which barrel is most reliable as underground plumbing.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top