Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2021 8:59:56 AM EDT
Just took my RTB 16” .22 upper to the range. Accuracy was more than satisfactory, no feed issues, no trigger reset issues but did have a few fail to fire. Using a PSA lower with a PSA EPT FCG, std. weight hammer spring. CCI AR Tactical ammo.

Out of three full mags (75 rounds) I had three fails 1st mag, one fail 2nd mag and no fails on last mag. So may have just been break in, or got better as it warmed up.

Before I start ordering Bore Buddy parts, thought I’d try another lower/FCG.
I have:
Geissele SSA std. weight hammer spring
Hiperfire (the one with the dual booster coil springs, has a crazy amount of hammer force) using their medium weight spring.
Larue MBT 2stage w/Wolff power spring
RRA 2stage w/Wolff power spring

I know rimfire needs more strike force than centerfire, just wondering if I’ll still get reliable reset/cycling with a Wolff spring or the Hiperfire. Or if the Hiperfire will be too hard on the firing pin.

Forgot to mention I did lube the rails with CLP on first range trip.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 9:30:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I know rimfire needs more strike force than centerfire, just wondering if I’ll still get reliable reset/cycling with a Wolff spring or the Hiperfire.
View Quote

That's not my experience.  I've used Taylor Tactical reduced power springs without issue.

A more likely culprit is something keeping your bolt from closing all the way after stripping a fresh round.  Have you already buzzed the chamber, i.e. put a brush on a drill and rotated it in the chamber?

I would not recommend that Hiperfire.  Hammer spring weight makes function more sporadic than bolt weight, and a hammer as heavy as the Hiperfire might work with most of a box of HV 22lr, but I'd bet you'd have a failure to reset and/or feed when you hit a weak round.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 10:14:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I prefer the Bore Buddy firing pin over the CMMG firing pin. The BB pin uses a round tip that that doe not hit the edge of the case rim like the CMMG pin does. Plus the BB pin is machines properly with radiuses at each shoulder to help prevent the pin from breaking. Yes the new CMMG pins now include the radius cuts too, but didn't on older pins.

I'm using a Larue MBT-2S trigger in my last build along with the Bore Buddy firing pin. It cycles everything I have fed it and so far CCI Standard has been the most accurate. I am also using the Bore Buddy anti bounce weight and pressure plug too.

I have found that a pressure plug helps with all of my CMMG bolts and even with the single Chiappa bolt/barrel I have.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#3]
After my first range trip I did buzz the chamber with a chamber brush on a drill. The ramp looks good and I’m not having any feed issues so not worried about polishing just yet.

I did compare the effort needed to reset my Hiperfire vs the 2stages with Wolf xtra power springs, the Hiperfire felt like resetting a std. weight spring, the Wolf springs took noticeably more effort.

I think on my next trip I’ll bring the lowers with the Geissele and the Hiperfire just to see how they run.
I may wind up dedicating a lower for this upper so I can tweak it a bit more.
The Bore Buddy firing pin & pressure plug will be on my next order. But if I can get it running 100% with CCI AR Tactical or mini mags I’ll take that for now.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ve never needed heavier trigger or hammer springs to set off 22 rimfire ammo.   I use RRA NM or a Geissele G2S FCG in my dedicated lowers.   I found when I switched to two stage match triggers I quit breaking firing pins as often.   If you have the supplied springs with your hammer and trigger you might try those.   A functioning rimfire is a balance between the limited recoil and spring rates whether recoil or hammer springs.   There is a fine line where 22’s function 100% or are plagued by numerous failures.   If you have failures to fire with a 22 rimfire AR-15, inspect the firing pin and firing pin spring.  Ensure the firing pin channel is clean and the firing pin tip is not damaged.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
... A functioning rimfire is a balance between the limited recoil and spring rates whether recoil or hammer springs. There is a fine line where 22’s function 100% or are plagued by numerous failures.   If you have failures to fire with a 22 rimfire AR-15, inspect the firing pin and firing pin spring.  Ensure the firing pin channel is clean and the firing pin tip is not damaged.
View Quote

Off the top of my head, other factors that can affect reliable .22 operation on the AR platform include, but are not necessarily limited to; ammo (in this case, the CCI AR Tactical should be about as good as one can expect); total reciprocating weight (including the weight of the hammer); barrel length, suppressed or unsuppressed; degree of smoothness on the sliding surfaces (including feed ramp and the lower lip on the chamber); in the case of shooting full auto, the auto sear trip force; mag spring force, and mag lip drag.

Disclaimer:  I have no affiliation with or financial interest in any vendor or manufacturer; and I am not a competitive shooter or a blogger who receives any form of compensation for endorsements or favorable public or private comments.  Use of vendor and/or product brand names, if any, is for informational purposes only.

Best of luck.
MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.

Link Posted: 10/2/2021 4:48:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I prefer the Bore Buddy firing pin over the CMMG firing pin. The BB pin uses a round tip that that doe not hit the edge of the case rim like the CMMG pin does....
View Quote

I believe that the BoreBuddy enterprise has discontinued the round tip in favor of the more commonly used rectangular shape with the small rectangle edges inward and outward from center configuration.
https://borebuddy.com/product/22lr-ar-premium-firing-pin/

Disclaimer:  I have no affiliation with or financial interest in any vendor or manufacturer; and I am not a competitive shooter or a blogger who receives any form of compensation for endorsements or favorable public or private comments.  Use of vendor and/or product brand names, if any, is for informational purposes only.

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 5:24:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Second,

I think that's just a picture so people know they are ordering a pin.  They may be moving from a round pin to a horizontal " ) " shape that strikes entirely inside the rim.

WAnderson,

I had a Hiperfire when they first came out.  One of my recollections was ridiculous strike energy.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 7:47:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Regarding the pressure plug, would it function without a buffer, just a spring?
I have a lower with an A2 length Ace skeleton stock & std. single stage FCG that I think I’m gonna dedicate to this upper.
But if the buffer isn’t needed that’s 5 oz I can lose.
For a dedicated build, is the Taccom plug better than Bore Buddy?

Seems a pressure plug & Bore Buddy pin will be my next step.
How does the firing pin come out?

Link Posted: 10/2/2021 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#9]
On the earlier model of CMMG bolts there is a compression pin that retains the firing pin.  On the newer CMMG 22 LR bolts a cotter pin is used to retain the firing pin just like the Centerfire AR-15 bolts.   You can use a small punch to drive out the compression pin from the bolt or a finishing nail with the tip cut or ground off also works.   The compression pin runs cross ways in the middle of the 22 LR bolt.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 8:42:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I've used CMC 3 1/2# triggers on a couple of AR 22's  for several years.
I also use a Franklin BSFlll ARC1 trigger  both very reliable.

After a few thousand rounds my extractor's tends to wear out and sometimes  firing pin spring's wear's out.
I use pressure plug's and one of my AR22's I use weights on my CMMG bolt

Link Posted: 10/2/2021 10:35:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I believe that the BoreBuddy enterprise has discontinued the round tip in favor of the more commonly used rectangular shape with the small rectangle edges inward and outward from center configuration.
https://borebuddy.com/product/22lr-ar-premium-firing-pin/

Best of luck.
View Quote

So it seems they have according to the photos on their website. The changes must have been made recently in the last 3 months. I ordered the Premium Reliability Bundle back in June and the firing pin is round. Either that or they need to update their stock photos. When you click on the link for the bundle it shows the round tip.

https://borebuddy.com/product/22lr-bfb/

Link Posted: 10/3/2021 11:54:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Either that or they need to update their stock photos.
View Quote

Indeed.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 12:56:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Who here has ordered a Bore Buddy firing pin in the last few weeks, and did you get one with the round or rectangle end?
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 3:53:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Who here has ordered a Bore Buddy firing pin in the last few weeks, and did you get one with the round or rectangle end?
View Quote

I ordered two pins on 9.5.21.  They both have round tips.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would say that Bore Buddy definitely needs to update their photos then.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 5:27:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I would say that Bore Buddy definitely needs to update their photos then.
View Quote

New photos should be live Monday...this must have slipped through the cracks somehow.  Thanks for the heads up, I believe the photos were taken 6 months ago and must have never been uploaded
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 7:00:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

New photos should be live Monday...this must have slipped through the cracks somehow.  Thanks for the heads up, I believe the photos were taken 6 months ago and must have never been uploaded
View Quote

So has there been a change in the firing pins or are they still round on the end?
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 9:36:11 PM EDT
[#18]
They are still round.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 10:58:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They are still round.
View Quote
Thank you for letting us know. There was some confusion since the website shows a firing pin with a rectangle end when you click on just the firing pin. The photo for the reliability bundle shows the correct round ended firing pin.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 6:09:47 AM EDT
[#20]
If you click on the link above to the Bore Buddy pin, in the description in bold it says the pin is a round tip and new pictures are coming soon.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 9:57:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you click on the link above to the Bore Buddy pin, in the description in bold it says the pin is a round tip and new pictures are coming soon.
View Quote

Which has just been changed/added, after we brought up that photos need to be updated.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Yea, I’m pretty sure when I looked at that pin listing a week or so ago, the bold text wasn’t there.
Bore Buddy must have gotten some inquiries and updated their website.

I just got my McFadden loader and tried it on my RTB 25s and Black Dog 15s and it was great up to 16 rounds on the 25s and 12 rounds on the 15s but after that it took a LOT of effort to squeeze the next round in. More than I was comfortable using when pushing down on the bullet nose. But those rounds did go in as fast as lightning.

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:...
I just got my McFadden loader and tried it on my RTB 25s and Black Dog 15s and it was great up to 16 rounds on the 25s and 12 rounds on the 15s but after that it took a LOT of effort to squeeze the next round in. More than I was comfortable using when pushing down on the bullet nose. But those rounds did go in as fast as lightning.
View Quote

You should probably start a new thread over in the Armory Section, 10/22 and other 22 Rifles Forum for a better cross section of readers.

In any case, I've got a 15 or so Atchisson MkII/IIII conversion AR 22 mags from at least four vendors.  A few of them had the 'sticky point' at about 2/3rds full.  I didn't want to take the mags apart, so I worked the follower up and down about fifty times to smooth out the insides and then squirted some graphite in and worked the followers up and down a dozen or so times.  Seems to have cured the issue.

And a caution, waxy ammo will gum up the McFadden loader making it not work well, if at all, depending on how much wax build up there is.

Best of luck.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top