Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2020 10:50:44 PM EDT
So, Modlite markets their, and Unity's, switches as better than Surefire tape switches. This is in part because they claim Surefire switches reduce power output from 18650 lights by 15-20%, the circuitry is unable to handle all the available power (designed when CR123 was only power source). Has anyone tested this with a lux meter? I downloaded three cheap, free lux meter apps on my phone (I'm not saying this is reliable) and all read very simiar output from both the Surefire SR07 tapeswitch and a DS00 tailcap button. I also could not tell visually (human eye, also unreliable) any difference between the SF SR07 presure switch and just the DS00 click button.  

Maybe the SF DS00 tailcap also reduces power, so I wouldn't see a difference? Or, maybe it's not reducing power? I would need better equipment to actually measure lux and convert to lumen to see if the output is what my Modlite PLHv2 head states. Also tested with the M600DF head before I sold it.

Anyone else curious about this outside of just taking Modlite's word for it? Unity didn't market their hot button that way, and still doesn't on their website, but Modlite (who designed their switch with Unity) stated both are the only two switches to allow full power output. That seems like it's worth testing to me. But what do I know?
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:15:23 PM EDT
[#1]
What circuitry is in a tailcap? I honestly thought it was simply a mechanical switch connection.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:25:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:40:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One of the reasons aftermarket tail caps are offered is as you mod lights the tail cap switches can’t handle the added amp load.

I believe they ARE telling the truth, but you aren’t going to tell the difference with your eyes.

One trick I used back years ago when modding MagLite’s for high amp draw “hot wire” bulbs was to solder a copper braid from the top to the bottom of the tail cap spring as that was a major resistance area.
View Quote

Ah, 15 amp vacuum cleaner on a 12 amp spare bedroom circuit. Can't believe I didn't think of that.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 12:06:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
One of the reasons aftermarket tail caps are offered is as you mod lights the tail cap switches can't handle the added amp load.

I believe they ARE telling the truth, but you aren't going to tell the difference with your eyes.

One trick I used back years ago when modding MagLite's for high amp draw "hot wire" bulbs was to solder a copper braid from the top to the bottom of the tail cap spring as that was a major resistance area.
View Quote
Thanksnfor your response. I'm ignorant when it comes this topic, so near with me. Are you saying the power reduction would happen both with the tape switch and DS00 tail cap? And at what point would the human eye notice a difference? 200m? When fog or smoke is present? I dont want to handicap my light, but the hot button and mod button dont do much for me in terms of usability. If I'm never going to see a difference in the light performance, only know it might exist, I have no reason to look any further than the SR07 tape switch I'm currently using.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanksnfor your response. I'm ignorant when it comes this topic, so near with me. Are you saying the power reduction would happen both with the tape switch and DS00 tail cap? And at what point would the human eye notice a difference? 200m? When fog or smoke is present? I dont want to handicap my light, but the hot button and mod button dont do much for me in terms of usability. If I'm never going to see a difference in the light performance, only know it might exist, I have no reason to look any further than the SR07 tape switch I'm currently using.
View Quote
per comments I've seen from the owner of modlite on the modlite fb page, the UE and DS tailcaps aren't the amp bottleneck.  It is the tapeswitch itself.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 4:02:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
per comments I've seen from the owner of modlite on the modlite fb page, the UE and DS tailcaps aren't the amp bottleneck.  It is the tapeswitch itself.
View Quote

When I activate the light with the DS tailcap button, it looks exactly the same as it does when I use the SR07.

May be more dim, but I sure can't see it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I was under the impression this is for the Surefire switch that has the second round button for constant on.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 6:17:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 6:23:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A 20% reduction in output isn’t going to be noticeable with just your eyes, I suspect that the tail cap switch also isn’t rated for a high enough amp load either.

Unfortunately, I REALLY like using a Surefire “tape switch” in conjunction with a Tango Down front grip as it has a recess that the switch slides into.
View Quote

20% drop in light output is certainly noticeable to the human eye in these situations.  Better way is to simply use an ammeter to see how much *current* is flowing.  

Doubt the app will be of much use.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Probably this explain all these issues:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Problem-with-surefire-m600df-tape-switch-light-dims/20-741523/
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:25:27 PM EDT
[#11]
This is my setup. I love the way it works so I dont want to change anything. But 20% could possibly sway me. If tailcaps were an issue, I'm sure modlite would be advertising their own tailcaps accordingly. So I doubt it. Just the switch. Which, I'd still like to measure. I was just hoping someone here had a meter and knew what they were doing or knew someone who did lol I'd be lying if I said I knew exactly what I'd do with a lux meter. I just know one square meter of lux should equal lumen output.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 10:31:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Just compared the following, all on PLHV2's

Modlite Tailcap
Z68 Tailcap
Unity Mod Button
DS tailcap with SR07

The only "variation" I was able to tell between them was the natural variation between the heads- some were more round hotspots, some had a secondary ring midway between the hotspot and the outer edge.

I swapped a few of the heads to see if they looked any different with different tailcap/switch assemblies.

In my eyeball test, they all look exactly the same.

I will do the same thing outdoors when it gets dark out.  All testing was done in my house under various lighting conditions.  I figured any OBVIOUS changes or variances would be apparent, and they were not.  Again, the only differences were specific to the head itself.

More later.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just compared the following, all on PLHV2's

Modlite Tailcap
Z68 Tailcap
Unity Mod Button
DS tailcap with SR07

The only "variation" I was able to tell between them was the natural variation between the heads- some were more round hotspots, some had a secondary ring midway between the hotspot and the outer edge.

I swapped a few of the heads to see if they looked any different with different tailcap/switch assemblies.

In my eyeball test, they all look exactly the same.

I will do the same thing outdoors when it gets dark out.  All testing was done in my house under various lighting conditions.  I figured any OBVIOUS changes or variances would be apparent, and they were not.  Again, the only differences were specific to the head itself.

More later.
View Quote
Awesome, you're the man
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 9:36:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
One of the reasons aftermarket tail caps are offered is as you mod lights the tail cap switches can’t handle the added amp load.

I believe they ARE telling the truth, but you aren’t going to tell the difference with your eyes.

One trick I used back years ago when modding MagLite’s for high amp draw “hot wire” bulbs was to solder a copper braid from the top to the bottom of the tail cap spring as that was a major resistance area.
View Quote

I had a Surefire tailcap. I could tell the difference.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 6:06:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Hold up a sec... I don't believe that electricity works as is being described in this thread. The battery does not "push" a fixed power and the resistance in the wiring or tailcap "stop" it, limiting power to the LED. The LED head "pulls" power... ALL that it needs, ALL of the time. If the switch is inadequate, it has more resistance, which causes more battery drain and more heat lost to the resistance as the LED head must "pull" more electricity through the wiring to get what it needs. I don't see how it COULD dim your light. Your light will draw more power due to inadequately thin wiring up to the max amps the battery will output without going into protection. If voltage sags, the voltage regulator will compensate. I guess if your battery went into protection it would be an issue, but it does not, so it cannot. The only negative would be runtime and heat/durability, not output if this true. If this is not the case, then what am I missing?
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 6:52:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hold up a sec... I don't believe that electricity works as is being described in this thread. The battery does not "push" a fixed power and the resistance in the wiring or tailcap "stop" it, limiting power to the LED. The LED head "pulls" power... ALL that it needs, ALL of the time. If the switch is inadequate, it has more resistance, which causes more battery drain and more heat lost to the resistance as the LED head must "pull" more electricity through the wiring to get what it needs. I don't see how it COULD dim your light. Your light will draw more power due to inadequately thin wiring up to the max amps the battery will output without going into protection. If voltage sags, the voltage regulator will compensate. I guess if your battery went into protection it would be an issue, but it does not, so it cannot. The only negative would be runtime and heat/durability, not output if this true. If this is not the case, then what am I missing?
View Quote
I dont know enough to help you there. My question relates to doubts around Modlite's claim. I appreciate your input
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 7:04:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Came to post this, but DevL locked it down very well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 3:20:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Tried them in darker settings.  To my eyes, same as it was in lighter conditions.

If there is a difference, I can't tell.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for everyone's input. I think I'll keep my setup the way it is then.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 5:25:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 11:14:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I have 4 Modlites in all the offered variations....PLH V1 and V2 and along with an OKW.  I use them with Modbuttons and Surefire switches and tailcaps along with Arisaka tailcaps and Unity Hotbuttons.  I am a HUGE Modlite fan and I fully believe that they have scientific data to back up their claims.....However....  I have tried every one of the heads, with every tailcap and every switch and button, and I cannot see any difference that can be attributed to this issue. There are huge differences in each model of head, but any given head looks the same with any switch.    

I run the Modbuttons where they work the best for my setup.  I do not run them for their advertised higher output.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 11:40:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 1:25:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By DevL:
Hold up a sec... I don't believe that electricity works as is being described in this thread. The battery does not "push" a fixed power and the resistance in the wiring or tailcap "stop" it, limiting power to the LED. The LED head "pulls" power... ALL that it needs, ALL of the time. If the switch is inadequate, it has more resistance, which causes more battery drain and more heat lost to the resistance as the LED head must "pull" more electricity through the wiring to get what it needs. I don't see how it COULD dim your light. Your light will draw more power due to inadequately thin wiring up to the max amps the battery will output without going into protection. If voltage sags, the voltage regulator will compensate. I guess if your battery went into protection it would be an issue, but it does not, so it cannot. The only negative would be runtime and heat/durability, not output if this true. If this is not the case, then what am I missing?
View Quote

Something can’t pull all the power it needs if the wire/ connection can’t handle it.  It is the same reason all competitive vehicle audio people upgrade all their cables to 00 in most cases.  The amp is trying to pull so much power and the 2ga wire can’t handle it that is in most vehicles power and ground wires.  Also, length of the wire and the connection points make a difference.  It’s like trying to suck water through a needle sized straw compared to a McDonalds straw.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 1:32:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:
All thing being similar, according to the Guru’s at Candlepowerforums.com it takes approximately a 35% change in Lumens for the human eye to perceive a difference.

Most members there have forgotten more than I’ll ever know about lights!
View Quote

You are 100% correct.  People always seem to think they can tell the difference in light output when there is a small difference.  I was into high end flashlight collecting for a long time and also worked in the LED industry.  You would be surprised how a 400 lumen module looks exactly like a 550 lumen module to the human eye.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:24:48 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm with DevL. I use Acebeam L16's. They draw a lot of current. Their battery is the ACEBEAM ARC18650H-310A with Max Discharge Current: 20A. I mod their switch to remove the curly section. The wires are just two thick'ish Black and Red ones - Chinese. IMO, for Surefire switches to impact light output from a less powerful (than the Acebeam) Modlite - the SF wires would have to be less than Chinese quality, which I don't see happening? Then again, if they *are* some thin ones, who knows... Anybody have pics of bare SF wires?
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:51:32 AM EDT
[#26]
PLHv2 18650 body with modlite cap

PLHv2 18650 body with Surefire dual cap

I took the picture with the Modlite first and set the camera exposure to lock on that exposure. In person I could not tell a difference. I'm not sure if this is an accurate way to see the difference but if they had the same output, the picture would look the same. If you download the two pictures and switch back and forth you can see there is a slight difference and it looks like the bit of spill in the Surefire cap is a little dimmer.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 10:52:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By PineappleDevil:
PLHv2 18650 body with modlite cap
https://i.imgur.com/HVERkSG.jpg

PLHv2 18650 body with Surefire dual cap
https://i.imgur.com/ffYV4Sr.jpg

I took the picture with the Modlite first and set the camera exposure to lock on that exposure. In person I could not tell a difference. I'm not sure if this is an accurate way to see the difference but if they had the same output, the picture would look the same. If you download the two pictures and switch back and forth you can see there is a slight difference and it looks like the bit of spill in the Surefire cap is a little dimmer.
View Quote

The central hotspot looks smaller as well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 12:54:42 PM EDT
[#28]

I took the picture with the Modlite first and set the camera exposure to lock on that exposure. In person I could not tell a difference. I'm not sure if this is an accurate way to see the difference but if they had the same output, the picture would look the same. If you download the two pictures and switch back and forth you can see there is a slight difference and it looks like the bit of spill in the Surefire cap is a little dimmer.
View Quote

WOW....thats way more noticeable with the camera than anything I saw with the naked eye.  Thanks for posting that.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Very interesting. This is with different caps, not switches. If the Modlite cap itself is better, that kind of sucks since we all have to use Surefire switches for any other switch activation. I wonder if that issue could possibly be exacerbated if Modlite was to release a better cap that was also capable of accepting the ModButton.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 10:21:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By tgoodwin84:

Very interesting. This is with different caps, not switches. If the Modlite cap itself is better, that kind of sucks since we all have to use Surefire switches for any other switch activation. I wonder if that issue could possibly be exacerbated if Modlite was to release a better cap that was also capable of accepting the ModButton.
View Quote

Yeah, even the mod button doesn't come with a cap.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#31]
I purchased my first plh v2 modlite a couple months ago when they first released. When I got it the light would turn on whenever I moved the light. As if using it as a light saber the light would flicker on and off without actually turning it on. I contacted modlite and they said it could be a tailcap issue and to try a Surefire tailcap. That fixed the issue. I tried the Surefire tailcap and the light stopped flickering.

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:20:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By DevL:
Hold up a sec... I don't believe that electricity works as is being described in this thread. The battery does not "push" a fixed power and the resistance in the wiring or tailcap "stop" it, limiting power to the LED. The LED head "pulls" power... ALL that it needs, ALL of the time. If the switch is inadequate, it has more resistance, which causes more battery drain and more heat lost to the resistance as the LED head must "pull" more electricity through the wiring to get what it needs. I don't see how it COULD dim your light. Your light will draw more power due to inadequately thin wiring up to the max amps the battery will output without going into protection. If voltage sags, the voltage regulator will compensate. I guess if your battery went into protection it would be an issue, but it does not, so it cannot. The only negative would be runtime and heat/durability, not output if this true. If this is not the case, then what am I missing?
View Quote

IR=VD  an equation from Ohms Law. Current (I) times resistance (R) equals voltage drop (VD)
 A resistance converts the energy flow through it into heat. This energy cannot be used
to power the load, in this case a LED. If you put a resistor in series with a lamp it gets dimmer.
All of us have seen this when a tailcap or head get loose...the light gets dim...and this is because
the resistance has been introduced in the poor connection.

A switch good for 5 amps will get hot at 10 amps...voltage drop occurs and the light dims.
High power flashlight modders have used spring bypasses in tailcaps for years because the springs get hot
 which lowers efficiency and lowers output.

Using the formula I posted shows clearly that as you raise the current, even a small resistance has a bad effect.
 I can easily see why a tape switch designed for lower current use would be a problem when you try to use
it at very high current.

ETA. Current in amperes, Voltage drop in Volts, Resistance in Ohms.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Unfortunately our phone's cameras are very very very smart.

If you can post the metadata for both photos, that would help.  If the settings of the camera changed (which they do automatically on mostly every camera commonly used), they're going to look different.

Im seeing some difference, but its more in the yellow hue of the second photo.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Well good luck ever finding a modlight switch or hot button ever in stock anywhere.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top