Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2020 1:23:19 PM EDT
So I recently bought 2 Andro rifles and they supply them with MFT Extreme Duty magazines.

Well went to try them, load the mag, fire a whole mag, feel the bolt lock open, think good it functioned, drop the mag to insert the other and the bolt slams closed. Think well that's weird, maybe I accidentally hit the bolt release and put in the next. Fire, bolt locks open on empty, drop the mag, bolt slams shut.

Decide to figure out what's going on and pull the bolt back by hand on an empty mag and bolt locks back, but only partially. Drop the bolt, split the gun, and notice the follower is just barely touching the tip of the mag catch. Same case with both mags, both guns.

Try my other mags to make sure I don't have an out of spec catch and they all work fine. Comparing mags you can clearly tell the MFT rear portion of the follower doesn't extend as far as the PMAG

Anyone had any experience with MFT mags? Is it worth contacting MFT? Can I just replace the followers with something else (they don't use some kind of goofy follower do they?) Should I not even waste my time and just keep them as range mags that I know don't lock open?
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 2:24:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Should I not even waste my time
View Quote

My suggestion.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:

My suggestion.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Survey_Dude:
Should I not even waste my time 

My suggestion.

My brother bought some years ago. Had them loaded in a duffel bag. Hour drive to range. Had a duffel bag of empty mags and loose ammo.

Lots of double feeds, puking rounds, especially when dropped on grass. Like knocked a loaded mag off the tailgate on grass and it self-unloaded.

Will never buy a MFT product.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:46:47 AM EDT
[#3]
PMags are cheap. I wouldn't bother.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By FritzTKatt:

My brother bought some years ago. Had them loaded in a duffel bag. Hour drive to range. Had a duffel bag of empty mags and loose ammo.

Lots of double feeds, puking rounds, especially when dropped on grass. Like knocked a loaded mag off the tailgate on grass and it self-unloaded.

Will never buy a MFT product.
View Quote

My near exact experience with Troy battle mags.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 12:45:25 PM EDT
[#5]

My near exact experience with Troy battle mags.
View Quote

No experience with troy mags, but for other reasons I won't consider them to exist.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I always get Tango Down and Mission First confused with each other. I've heard mixed reviews for both. For the money, there's no reason not to go with D&H, Okay, Magpul, or some of the steel options discussed on the Mag board.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:55:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a couple of their Gen1 mags.. works ok but with better options out there I don’t see the reason to buy them.
I got mine super cheap and I like to try new stuff but won’t buy anymore.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 11:20:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Lancer
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 10:30:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
My experience with the Troy mags was good. I have mainly Magpuls and Lancers but try a few of everything
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My experience with the Troy mags was good. I have mainly Magpuls and Lancers but try a few of everything
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine liked to puke rounds out like a slot machine.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:56:23 PM EDT
[#11]
In the year 2020, there is zero reason to buy anything other than Magpul PMAGS, Okay Surefeed or D&H magazines for a .223/5.56mm chambered AR rifle. I'd junk the MFT, or limit them to range only use.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:04:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In the year 2020, there is zero reason to buy anything other than Magpul PMAGS, Okay Surefeed or D&H magazines for a .223/5.56mm chambered AR rifle. I'd junk the MFT, or limit them to range only use.
View Quote

My Lancers do just fine.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Find someone to trade them for aluminum mags.

I had a few MFT mags, gun shop was doing an intro sell 5 dollars a mag, I bought 2.  Stopped using them almost immediately.  I loaded them both up and when I set them down on the shelf they puked out 2 rounds, both of them.  Looking closer the material was just too thin and flexible.  The feed lips flexed like an Olympic athlete.  Unloaded and reloaded them a few times and each time the slightest bump would make them spit rounds out.  They fired and fed fine but if they won't hold ammo on the shelf whats the point.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I was at the local Sportsman's Warehouse the other day and saw they had a bunch of MFT mags on the racks. There weren't the "Extreme Duty" style but said "Mod 2" on the wrapper. Guess they're trying to improve on their original, less-than-great mags.

The plastic did seem a bit stiffer than the originals, but that's not saying a lot.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top