Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2018 6:39:31 PM EDT
Ok... PSA lower, Radical upper with Alpha bcg, 16" 300 blackout.

This is a very tiny nit to pick, but my ejected brass has 2 scratches that might be removing a tiny bit of brass from the neck.  The scratches line up with the locking lug guides in the barrel and working with spent cases in the action I see a pretty strong hit in the barrel shroud.  The brass is thrown at almost 3 o-clock and only about 4 feet, great for a reloader!  My gut tells me that while the round is being extracted the ejector is pressing a little to firmly on the opposite side of the head and slamming the brass into the barrel shroud and causing the marks.  I am thinking about removing 1 coil from the ejector spring, just to remove a little tension.

Brass looks great otherwise, it is ejected almost as clean as it went in and shows no pressure signs.  I am new to AR's, but have been loading for other semi-auto rifles, F-class bolt guns and semi-auto pistols for 30+ years.

My goal, remove the extra wear from the neck of the brass.  Still learning the terms around an AR, forgive me if I have a part name wrong.

Thanks Matt
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 12:23:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the input, the bolt is catching on the front... every time.  I am still learning this platform, in fact just started.  I will dive deeper into the bolt and the extractor, the brass head is not misformed at all on any of the ejected cases.  I am working with 4227 and 2400 in tandem with 155-165 grain jacketed bullets right now.  Before I started shooting it, I spent time learning to disassemble the rifle and can tell you that it does not have an o-ring around the extractor spring.

If I did not state it before, this rifle has a pistol length gas system.  So far, knock on wood, it has not had a FTF or FTE a single round.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 12:18:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I have never heard of a 16" barrel with a "pistol length gas system". Gas ports are placed in the barrel at a specific point for proper timing and function. Modification as you describe would create problems because the bullet would still be in the barrel under pressure when the bolt opens to feed the next round! Are you sure that you do not mean buffer tube and spring?
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:49:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 4:56:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I learned something new, today!
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#7]
No, I do mean pistol length gas system.  It is pretty common on 300 bo, from what I have read.

I have noticed that my buffer rattles, must mean a removed weight.  I am going to weigh it this weekend and see what is going on.  I may simply need to insert a third weight in it, may open it to see what they are made of as the buffer is not marked in any way.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:59:56 PM EDT
[#8]
just started with 300 BO uppers on various lowers.  In my reading, I'm starting to understand how picky 300 BO can be when approaching subsonic.  Closer to subsonic I get (unsuppressed), the less far the ejected cases go like you describe, with every once in a while having one get jammed halfway out.

Have one lower with pistol-length adjustable gas.  Adjusting gas all the way open has not helped getting 1030 fps Underwood 230g ammo to cycle any better than the other carbine-length gas block upper does.  It's my low-standard round that I'm seeking to get to work as a project as I can't think of an application for it for me, especially if I'm not going to run suppressed (which I hear helps cycling).  But your bullets are way lighter than the 230g, so others above may have better suggestions for your situation.

I've only got 150 or so total rounds in each of both uppers, so some more break in might help.  I may try some lower resistance buffer springs (Tubbman?) and I have a cryptic coatings mystic coating BCG that might be just slippery enough to make a difference.  But I've gotten 208g Hornady's to cycle just fine as does any bullet lighter than that (both factory and reloaded), though I don't have subsonic loads for the lighter bullets.

300blktalk.com has lots of stuff on 300 BLK.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top