Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2018 11:21:57 AM EDT
Does anyone know if mineral oil can be used as a lubricant in a pinch with no problems ?
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 11:52:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Friend of mine uses it on a pad all the time,swears by it
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#2]
What type of pad are you referring to ?
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Mineral oil is used to break in NEW reciprocating piston engines in aircraft all the time,,with a pilot in it!
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 12:00:18 AM EDT
[#4]
In a pinch I'd say so. I've used it in machine work occasionally.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 5:07:52 AM EDT
[#5]
The pad you roll your casings on to lube before reloading.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 10:16:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Transmission fluid probably would be a better choice due to thermal properties and additive package.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 10:20:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mineral oil is used to break in NEW reciprocating piston engines in aircraft all the time,,with a pilot in it!
View Quote
Mineral oil in aircraft application means a non-synthetic, group 1-3 petroleum oil.

I’m working under the assumption the OP was referring to Medical or food grade mineral oil, which would work in a pinch, but probably not an ideal choice of lube for an AR.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 9:18:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Are you talking about the drug store mineral oils? Like Johnson's or some such?

If so, I'd imagine it would produce a very foul smell. Also if you use an AR15, I'd imagine the burnt carbon would create very unusual burn patterns.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 12:22:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes I'm referring to the type mineral oil you get at the drug store.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 12:40:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Wait what are we lubing here?
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 10:24:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes I'm referring to the type mineral oil you get at the drug store.
View Quote
Yeah the problem is a lot of the mineral oil there contains perfume or additives. With that said, when it burns in the gun, it's going to stink like crazy and I'd imagine cause very unusual burn pattern.

In any event, it's unclear why you'd want to buy mineral oil at the drug store to use on your firearm. At the very same store, and probably for the very same price, you can buy cheap motor oil and it would do a heck of a better job.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 1:58:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I have some I bought for other uses. I was just wondering if it could be safely used on my AR in case of an emergency. I didn't buy the mineral oil for gun lube I was just wondering if it could be used in an emergency
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 3:26:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Considering that's all Hoppe's #9 in the orange bottle is, I'd say it's fine.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Considering that's all Hoppe's #9 in the orange bottle is, I'd say it's fine.
View Quote
Petroleumis in Vaseline, but you don't use it as a gun lubricant. Just because two items share the same chemicals doesn't mean it's interchangeable.

There are plenty of lubrication that uses mineral oil or a combination of but that doesn't mean you can pick up a bottle of mineral oil from the baby isle and use it.

It's going to burn and stink to high heaven.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I have had the same question about using the drug store mineral oil on guns.  Like someone above said, Hoppe #9 gun oil list the ingredient as "mineral oil".  My question is if this is the same mineral oil as the drug store variety.  The reason that I ask is because the drug store mineral oil is odorless, perfect for deer hunting.  In fact my go to gun oil during deer season is dead down wind which says it is odorless and also 100% mineral oil.  Sure would be a lot cheaper buying the drug store variety if in fact they are the same.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 1:16:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Assuming steel and polymer, it won't harm anything.
I don't think it has the best lubricating properties for firearms though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Any oil is better than none. I ran a rifle 1k rounds using no line other than KY Liquid. It was a nasty, sloppy mess, but it worked. It burned off quickly and had to be added regularly.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:21:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Any oil is better than none. I ran a rifle 1k rounds using no line other than KY Liquid. It was a nasty, sloppy mess, but it worked. It burned off quickly and had to be added regularly.
View Quote
KY is glycerine and thickeners - there is no "oil" in it at all. They make it that way specifically so that it is water soluble.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:41:52 PM EDT
[#19]
From my experience yes it could be along with multiple other household items from vegetable oil, lard in small amounts, olive oil and EVOO just to name a few.  If you are looking for something for like TEOTWAWKI I would just get a few quarts of either motor oil, breakfree clp etc.  I personally use Froglube CLP and their products but I also keep about a quart of breakfree CLP on hand too.  I figure that if things ever get that bad to where I can't get CLP/lube I will just use motor oil etc.  I have no connection to the above companies I merely use some of their kit.  I hope this helps OP.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 9:34:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
KY is glycerine and thickeners - there is no "oil" in it at all. They make it that way specifically so that it is water soluble.
View Quote
Yep......that’s correct.

All I’m saying is lube is lube. Some is better than others, but as long as you use something, you’re good to go.
Might just need to use a little more and a little more often with some.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#21]
People use Balistol all the time so... Yea.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:39:59 AM EDT
[#22]
So you're saying Hoppes #9 lubricating oil?

Yes, that's all it is. The old standard used by our great grandparents for decades.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 1:20:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So you're saying Hoppes #9 lubricating oil?

Yes, that's all it is. The old standard used by our great grandparents for decades.
View Quote
You know, that brings back some suppressed (not the Dead Air type) memories, when I started shooting, 1972, could barely afford 45 cent box of .22s at TG&Y and had to use 3 in 1 oil in dads shop for lube oil.  Also used Quaker State 30 weight in the can, that is all I had....did clean with No 9 though.

Link Posted: 9/27/2018 12:26:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You know, that brings back some suppressed (not the Dead Air type) memories, when I started shooting, 1972, could barely afford 45 cent box of .22s at TG&Y and had to use 3 in 1 oil in dads shop for lube oil.  Also used Quaker State 30 weight in the can, that is all I had....did clean with No 9 though.

View Quote
Maybe have been a little different then, but now Hoppes Number 9 cleaner (not lube, not the Elite) is about 45% kerosene, 45% denatured alcohol, 5% ammonia, and 5% banana oil (for the smell).
Kerosene and alcohol have been a standby by for decades as a cleaner for guns. Glock even suggests using a kerosene based cleaner.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 5:18:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if mineral oil can be used as a lubricant in a pinch with no problems ?
View Quote

I would think automobile engine oil would be easier to obtain, in a pinch, and work better.....
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 6:14:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yep......that’s correct.

All I’m saying is lube is lube. Some is better than others, but as long as you use something, you’re good to go.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yep......that’s correct.

Originally Written by Pat Rogers for SWAT Magazine:

I have used every type of lube imaginable, going from WD-40 (especially good when you have a dirty gun), to 3 in 1 oil, suntan lotion, butter and even Vagisil — don’t laugh, it works.
Lube is lube indeed.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 10:58:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Maybe have been a little different then, but now Hoppes Number 9 cleaner (not lube, not the Elite) is about 45% kerosene, 45% denatured alcohol, 5% ammonia, and 5% banana oil (for the smell).
Kerosene and alcohol have been a standby by for decades as a cleaner for guns. Glock even suggests using a kerosene based cleaner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hoppes #9 is a cleaning solvent, NOT a lube.  Kerosene and alcohol do not have good lubrication properties.

High grade automotive or diesel engine oil, especially synthetic, is an excellent AR lube and quite inexensive compared to gun oils.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:Kerosene and alcohol do not have good lubrication properties.
View Quote
Which is why you put oil in your chain-saw's two-cycle engine fuel...
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 2:45:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Hoppes #9 is a cleaning solvent, NOT a lube.  Kerosene and alcohol do not have good lubrication properties.

High grade automotive or diesel engine oil, especially synthetic, is an excellent AR lube and quite inexensive compared to gun oils.
View Quote
Hoppes #9 Is a BRAND, thats sells more than just cleaner and oil
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 2:03:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
That post was about the cleaner, not the lubricant.
Hoppes #9 is not a single product, it never has been. It's a line of products. Of cleaners and lubricants. Cleaner, light oil, some grease back in the day. This is all Hoppes #9... http://www.hoppes.com/traditional

In the past there were other products that have been replaced and many have been added.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Used mineral oil as a lube when sharpening speed skates. It helped the sharpening stone move along the blade but didn't keep the stone from taking metal off the skates. I think I would want something different if I was trying to protect metal from wear.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 2:00:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I would think automobile engine oil would be easier to obtain, in a pinch, and work better.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have reminded people that if they need a touch of oil on the range to go pop their hood and pull the dip stick for a few drops.  Emergency purposes only.   Used oil gets contaminated with fuel additives like benzene, toluene, ethylene, xylene etc.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:26:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm curious if this is fully bi-directional? In other words, after you tested the KY on your gun, did you test the gun oil on....never mind.

Larry
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 12:09:01 AM EDT
[#34]
In a pinch, sure.  Long term, why would anyone want to?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:35:04 AM EDT
[#35]
I have learned that food quality mineral oil is the preferred protectant on knives that are used in food prep.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 2:43:00 PM EDT
[#36]
I've been using pure food grade mineral oil for years and it works great. It's also safer for my health than other options and that's a big plus to me.

I use Hoppe's #9 bore cleaner on patches for the bore, CLP to clean the bore after that and then to clean elsewhwere on the gun. After the CLP solvents evaporate after at least several hours, I then lube the entire gun with mineral oil, including plastics such as Magpul stocks, grips, and handguards but only lightly enough to keep the plastic healthy, not slippery wet. Don't knock it until you've tried it. It flat works. I just don't leave any  lube in the chamber, bore,  bolt face, firing pin/firing pin channel where it can contaminate the ammunition and/or cause firing pin issues. It works extremely well and has no smell and doesn't have any flaws that I've found yet. In many firearm products, mineral oil is the primary ingredient.

I use nitrile gloves, quality paper towels, and q-tips. Have you seen the fingers/hands of some people who get a lot of various gun products on the hands often? Hickock45 is a good example with the ballistol. They shrivel up from where the solvents are defatting their hands. Use nitrile gloves and save your hands.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 9:25:24 PM EDT
[#37]
In a pinch yes.  Long term no.  There are much better choices for gun lubrication out there.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 10:03:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I use nitrile gloves, quality paper towels, and q-tips. Have you seen the fingers/hands of some people who get a lot of various gun products on the hands often? Hickock45 is a good example with the ballistol. They shrivel up from where the solvents are defatting their hands. Use nitrile gloves and save your hands.
View Quote
NItrile gloves? Really? I'm sure Hickock45's hands are wrinkly from his age. There is nothing in Ballistol that will defat the hands.
Ballistol ingredients
Mineral Oil
Potassium Oleate
Ammonium Oleate
Oleic Acid
Benzyl Alcohol
Amyl Alcohol
Isobutyl Alcohol
Benzyl Acetate
Anethole (AKA Anise, the smelly part)
Isohexane (aerosol only)

And to answer the OP's question. Yes, mineral will work as a gun lube, and has done so for over 100 years.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 10:12:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Used mineral oil as a lube when sharpening speed skates. It helped the sharpening stone move along the blade but didn't keep the stone from taking metal off the skates. I think I would want something different if I was trying to protect metal from wear.
View Quote
Mineral oil makes excellent whetting oil because it helps suspend the metal particles from becoming imbedded in the sharpening stones. There's probably not any oil on the planet that will keep a piece of metal from being abraded by something that is made by either nature or man to abrade metals.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 4:14:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Best AR lube for BCG, trigger assembly, and buffer spring I have found.

Stays on where you put it, does not burn off or smell bad.

Stuff is loaded full of moly, and a little goes a long way.

I use synthetic oil for all pivot points and barrel.

https://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/red-80312/overview/
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top