Anyone know who might have made this A2 carry handle sight..Thanks
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Cerro Forge.

Who machined it is an unknown

Eta: It is a commercial height.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 2:31:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure on height. i just figured it was a standard A2 detachable sight. Having the keyhole at all, does that make it a higher quality than some you might see? I bought it to replace the Rock River one I have now. As this one sure looks better than the RR anyway. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 4:09:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure on height. i just figured it was a standard A2 detachable sight. Having the keyhole at all, does that make it a higher quality than some you might see? I bought it to replace the Rock River one I have now. As this one sure looks better than the RR anyway. Thanks
View Quote

It is commercial height. The height of the protective "ears" is telltale.

Attachment Attached File

It is a quality forging for sure. The level of quality in machining being dependent on who performed the process.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 9:01:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Can someone school me on carry handle sights?

First, what’s going on with the mil-spec vs commercial height?  The difference (.040) is the same as between F-marked and old-style FSB’s. Not a coincidence I’d guess?

Second, in the photo shown above, the elevation dial is marked 6/3. I first ran into this on a UTG sight, and I discovered that the elevation screw on that sight is different from what’s on an M16A2:  the UTG threads are 20 TPI with a normal triangular shape, whereas the A2 sight has a much coarser (~6.5 TPI) flat (maybe Acme?) profile. And of course the A2 dial is marked 8/3. Another difference is the number of detents:  24 on the UTG vs 25 on the A2.

Initially I thought this was just some weirdness made up by UTG, but since then I’ve seen mention of “6/3” type sights.  Are carry-handle sights built like the UTG?
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 9:17:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can someone school me on carry handle sights?

First, what’s going on with the mil-spec vs commercial height?  The difference (.040) is the same as between F-marked and old-style FSB’s. Not a coincidence I’d guess?

Second, in the photo shown above, the elevation dial is marked 6/3. I first ran into this on a UTG sight, and I discovered that the elevation screw on that sight is different from what’s on an M16A2:  the UTG threads are 20 TPI with a normal triangular shape, whereas the A2 sight has a much coarser (~6.5 TPI) flat (maybe Acme?) profile. And of course the A2 dial is marked 8/3. Another difference is the number of detents:  24 on the UTG vs 25 on the A2.

Initially I thought this was just some weirdness made up by UTG, but since then I’ve seen mention of “6/3” type sights.  Are carry-handle sights built like the UTG?
View Quote

THIS should explain it better than I, most likely.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 10:05:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for that — an interesting read.

Troy mentioned that there’s a 2:1 ratio in the pitch of the elevation screws between the 8/3 and 6/3 versions. If so, the UTG sight is yet another animal.

On a standard A2, one turn moves the rear sight 0.15” or so.  Inferring from Troy’s comments, a 6/3 carry handle presumably moves 0.075”. My UTG sight moves 0.050” — a 3:1 ratio as compared to A2.

At first I thought it was just random.  But when I looked at a ballistics chart, I realized that it’s actually a pretty good choice if you have a carbine-length sight radius!
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 4:17:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, mine measures .795 on my calipers.

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top