Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/7/2023 9:59:43 PM EDT
I sold all my magnum revolvers over the last decade or so, and shooting a coworker's .44 Magnum recently made me realize how much I miss them.

What I thinking is to cut down a .450, 458 or 12.7 barrel to the gas porr.  7.7" or maybe 9.7" and attach it to a side charging upper with a cut  down bolt carrier

It would only cost a fraction of a revolver's price and would be lighter if somewhat bulkier.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:04:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#1]
I like the idea just not sure what it would take to make it reliabe.  What about a TC Encore pistol or one based on a bolt action?
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:23:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Reliability would probably be operator dependent.

The T/C stuff is discontinued.  The cheapest bolt action is the Savage.  It doesn't come stock in any big bore cartridges.  You could  change that easy enough, but I'm more interested in cheap blasting fun and they are as much as a revolver as it.

Link Posted: 6/8/2023 4:03:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Big-Bore] [#3]
I did a straight pull bolt in .458 S with a 28+” barrel and things did not go well.  I tried several powders, bullets, both super and subs, and only with the mildest low pressure loads did the fired cases NOT stick, which required mortaring to get out.  Yes, the chamber was polished to a near mirror finish.  I converted it to gas and all has been well since.  My advice, forget the .458 SOCOM as a straight pull non-gassed AR.

I have a 14” Savage Striker bolt action pistol, two shot with one in chamber and one in the blind magazine, and it’s a hoot.  Heavy with its thumb hole laminated Buck Rogers looking stock but 100% reliable and way more accurate than I am.  It’s not bad with lighter bullets or subs but with 525 gr. supers, that thumb hole stock is down right painful.  It’d be much nicer with an Encore type grip.  I’m good for at least 25 shots out of my 12” .50 Alaskan Encore but 10 shots out of the Striker with those 525 gr. Supers and I”m done for.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 8:53:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I was going to say do a solo 300 type setup but since bigbore has been down this road he's making it seem like that's a no go.

@big-bore have you tried a straight pull with a straight walled cartridge like the 450b or 50b?

As for a bolt action pistol here is a fun sight. Ernie is a wealth of knowledge and is really good at helping people track down xp-100's for center grip builds or you can do a 700 pattern action in a rear grip configuration fairly easily. I ordered a pork sword chassis and plan to use that as a multipurpose rig. Some barrels at pistol lengths and it'll eventually get sbr'd with their nice folding stock. Everything is ordered just a waiting game now. (CdG action, pork sword chassis, and have 300WSM and 7-08 barrels inbound plus a 223 barrel I already have...still have to order the bolt face for that though as I only have magnum and .473 ordered currently)

https://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/specialty-handgun-hunting.29/
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 9:41:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Big-Bore:
I did a straight pull bolt in .458 S with a 28+” barrel and things did not go well.  I tried several powders, bullets, both super and subs, and only with the mildest low pressure loads did the fired cases NOT stick, which required mortaring to get out.  Yes, the chamber was polished to a near mirror finish.  I converted it to gas and all has been well since.  My advice, forget the .458 SOCOM as a straight pull non-gassed AR.

I have a 14” Savage Striker bolt action pistol, two shot with one in chamber and one in the blind magazine, and it’s a hoot.  Heavy with its thumb hole laminated Buck Rogers looking stock but 100% reliable and way more accurate than I am.  It’s not bad with lighter bullets or subs but with 525 gr. supers, that thumb hole stock is down right painful.  It’d be much nicer with an Encore type grip.  I’m good for at least 25 shots out of my 12” .50 Alaskan Encore but 10 shots out of the Striker with those 525 gr. Supers and I”m done for.
View Quote

I was hoping that would not be the case.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 11:22:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 2:30:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: garred8787] [#7]
I think the issue is case extraction according to BB. ie. the need to mortar out a round due to the AR having minimal primary extraction.

@big-bore have you tried manual feeding with a straight walled case like the 450b? maybe it wouldn't have this issue?
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I’ve never fooled around with the .450 B in any guise so I cannot comment.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 6:56:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By hdcharlie:
Maybe I'm missing something, but why not use one of these>

https://kalikey.com/product/ar-15-kali-key-lo-pro/?goal=0_ee0db6fd1d-5e4b043589-376365933&mc_cid=5e4b043589
View Quote

Because it doesn't help.  You still have no primary extraction and, in my case, noway to close the  bolt.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 10:11:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I might have to test this theory....but on a smaller scale. I have a 45acp reamer....a 473 bolt....extensions.....12" left of a 45 blank....hmmm Time....yup that one is an issue! lol I would think a straight walled case shouldn't have an issue....but that's just purely a guess. Trying to think how it would stick? a shouldered case, sure! but would a straight case stick....that is the question.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 12:12:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By garred8787:
I might have to test this theory....but on a smaller scale. I have a 45acp reamer....a 473 bolt....extensions.....12" left of a 45 blank....hmmm Time....yup that one is an issue! lol I would think a straight walled case shouldn't have an issue....but that's just purely a guess. Trying to think how it would stick? a shouldered case, sure! but would a straight case stick....that is the question.
View Quote

The plethora of blowback operated pistol caliber carbines out there would indicate that a straight wall pistol cartridge shouldn't have an issue.  Not sure if a longer straightwall case would be a problem but I suppose I could remove the gas tube on my 450B and see, if I can find the time
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 6:50:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I am sure that Big-Bore would have gotten his to work fine if he had used the 450 Bushmaster.
The solution I have been working on addresses the bottle-neck/no-cam-on-opening-bolt and think my idea will work.
It will sorta work like the Wichita bench rest action.
If anyone is interested, I can elaborate.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 12:24:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By halfslow:
I am sure that Big-Bore would have gotten his to work fine if he had used the 450 Bushmaster.
The solution I have been working on addresses the bottle-neck/no-cam-on-opening-bolt and think my idea will work.
It will sorta work like the Wichita bench rest action.
If anyone is interested, I can elaborate.
View Quote

Completely interested.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 9:35:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By only1asterisk:

Completely interested.
View Quote

Ok, then here it is:
I am about half done with making it and only the heat and distance to a range are slowing me down.

It operates by a threaded puck being unscrewed from the 1 3/16" hole that he buffer tube usually screws in.
There are 3 main parts:
1 A threaded insert pinned into the back of the bolt carrier.
2 A large 2" knob with attached threaded puck.
3 A 3/8" bolt trimmed to length.
The only AR part to be modified is the carrier and only for a cross pin to retain the threaded insert. If you lose interest, the parts are not ruined for regular use.

Parts:
1 A piece of steel 5/8" diameter drilled for 1/2" and inside threaded 3/8x16. It is pinned 1/2" from the rear of the carrier with the solid part facing the front of the gun. This leaves room for a short spring which I will explain later.

Continued...

Link Posted: 6/26/2023 10:02:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Part 2:
The puck is aluminum (steel would be better) 1 3/16" od  and 5/8" long threaded 16 tpi.
A 2" knob is screwed to the back of the puck so it can be rotated to open and close the bolt.
There is a 3/8" hole drilled through the center front to back for the steel bolt to pass through.
The outer edge of the knob should be knurled or grooved.

Part 3 The bolt is a grade 3 steel  3/8 "x16 hex head bolt.
I am rounding the top to make it easier to push on.
The bolt must be torqued into the threaded insert so as not to unscrew while operating.
It is not used to tighten the puck and carrier together. There should be 1/16" looseness or slack to give the bolt locking lugs room to freely move in the barrel insert.

continued...
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 10:28:25 PM EDT
[#16]

How it works:
Screwing the puck into the buffer hole pushes the bolt carrier forward until the bolt locks in the barrel extension.
Unscrewing the puck pushes the 3/8" bolt back, dragging the carrier rearward which unlocks the bolt in the barrel insert until the charging handle can be used to complete the action. The relatively close fit of the 3/8" bolt to the hole in the puck makes the alignment of the threads easy.

I tried the idea of using the buffer tube threads to pull the carrier out the back of the frame and it worked ok for the 5.56 round. Bigger blasters may not cooperate as well.
I know this looks like a clumsy way to bypass the di gas system, but it sure beats pulling the rear take down pin to reload.

A few thin washers and lots of good grease between the moving surfaces should be helpful.

A few last points: the dimensions I listed are rather loose, but so are the dimensions of several of the AR parts I measured to make this.
If someone wants to post a drawing, I can send one somehow.  We can work that out.

Lastly, this is not my child. It can be taken and re-imagined, maybe to the point of a one turn unlock.

Link Posted: 6/27/2023 12:03:32 AM EDT
[#17]
You can host the images on imgur for free https://imgur.com/
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 3:38:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Update:
I have built the mechanism and it functions as planned.
There are a few changes made to make duplication easier.
It will probably be a week or two before I can test fire it and see how it handles bottleneck cases.
My offer of pictures still stands.

As far as the picture site, I want nothing to do with them.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 4:02:29 PM EDT
[#19]
CVA Scout Pistol in .44 magnum.  It doesn't get any less manual than that.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 11:49:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Update:
I have built the mechanism and it functions as planned.
There are a few changes made to make duplication easier.
It will probably be a week or two before I can test fire it and see how it handles bottleneck cases.
My offer of pictures still stands.

As far as the picture site, I want nothing to do with them.
View Quote

I lack the ability to visualize, so pics would be handy.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 12:12:03 PM EDT
[#21]
PM sent.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 12:15:32 AM EDT
[#22]
PM sent.
View Quote

That looks like it could work.

I wonder if a spring loaded rod like a piston setup without the piston would work.  Close the bolt against residence and have it help with extraction.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#23]
It does work.
I fired it yesterday.
It is slow to reload right now because the puck has to be unscrewed by hand.
I am adding a short crank to it which should solve that problem.

A spring to push the bolt/carrier open would be helpful after firing.
But before firing, spring pressure must be applied to the bolt/carrier pushing forward to keep the bolt locked.

Link Posted: 7/14/2023 10:42:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Why did you land on 16 TPI?

Engineering decision or sticking with common parts?

I'm curious because the threading would alter the rotations to close/open and alter how it resists being twisted.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 10:22:16 PM EDT
[#25]
That is the buffer tube thread.
You could actually use a piece of an old buffer tube for the threaded part.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 12:14:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks.  I misread part of the description, and it makes even more sense now.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top