Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2020 12:11:07 PM EDT
Does anyone know the legality of shipping magwells of demilled M16s from Europe to the US? Just a thought here, but I’ve seen places in Germany selling functional full auto lowers for dirt cheap. They regulate the barrels it seems. What’s to stop an enterprising individual from buying a bunch, cutting off the magwells and shipping them back home? Scrap aluminum at that point right?
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I would get with an importer and have them do it. I know of a few companies who import parts/guns for a fee.

Can it be done? Yes

Is it cost effective? No, not unless it’s some rare lower
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Seems highly illegal with out the proper paperwork and 4473's on all as well as having a FFL/SOT and a class 3 to make the transfers. But hey if not lmk
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:41:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seems highly illegal with out the proper paperwork and 4473's on all as well as having a FFL/SOT and a class 3 to make the transfers. But hey if not lmk
View Quote
Op mentioned it would just be importing the demilled magwells not the complete lower
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 1:20:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Does anyone know the legality of shipping magwells of demilled M16s from Europe to the US? Just a thought here, but I’ve seen places in Germany selling functional full auto lowers for dirt cheap. They regulate the barrels it seems. What’s to stop an enterprising individual from buying a bunch, cutting off the magwells and shipping them back home? Scrap aluminum at that point right?
View Quote
I believe that the CURRENT BATFE import regs require the receiver to be torch cut in four places, including THROUGH the mag well in order for it to be importable.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 1:39:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I believe that the CURRENT BATFE import regs require the receiver to be torch cut in four places, including THROUGH the mag well in order for it to be importable.
View Quote
If you are importing the whole lower/rifle but not just for a section.

Again, there are companies that do this for a living so search for them and use them. I have an importer who I use that does these type of things legally.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you are importing the whole lower/rifle but not just for a section.

Again, there are companies that do this for a living so search for them and use them. I have an importer who I use that does these type of things legally.
View Quote
The regs show how RECEIVERS need to be demilled for import.  I don’t know how he is LEGALLY importing intact mag wells
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 2:07:56 PM EDT
[#7]
My gut feeling is that the demilling process is different now than it was for those magwells that you see being spliced to 80% lowers.  The more recent demills you see are crushed into pieces or cut through the magwell basically making them unusable.  Also, the ones people are picking up on GB were likely demilled by the Government; therefore, there is likely a record of that weapon officially being destroyed so the magwell is no more than a piece of scrap.  If the weapon was originally manufactured in the US but demilled in some other country, there would be no record of that weapon officially being destroyed in this country possibly making it subject to the "once a machine gun, always a machine gun rule".  Don't know if I would want to take the risk.  Just my two bits.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 5:44:07 PM EDT
[#8]
If you were just importing the mag well I’d think you’d be perfectly fine.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 10:33:32 PM EDT
[#9]
At this point it’s just a chunk of aluminum. You aren’t mailing all the demilled receiver parts with the mag well it’s just the mag well so it doesn’t matter how the other parts of the receiver were cut.  I’d say g2g order away.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 11:28:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Might want to read through this from the BATF..

Machinegun Destruction.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 12:57:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Machinegun Destruction.
View Quote
It mentions how to import a complete machine gun and how to destroy it to bring it to the US. Not just a single chunk as it would still being staying overseas.

All in all a gray area so I always recommend doing it through a legit importer and they can tell you
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:01:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It mentions how to import a complete machine gun and how to destroy it to bring it to the US. Not just a single chunk as it would still being staying overseas.

All in all a gray area so I always recommend doing it through a legit importer and they can tell you
View Quote
The ONLY PART that the BATFE considers “the machine gun” IS the receiver.  All other parts (except for the barrel) are importable without any form of destruction
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 11:02:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Alex says he has someone who can do it.  All above board.  I suggest those who are interested PM Alex and get their contact info.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 2:33:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Machinegun Destruction.
View Quote
Although an M16 was not given as a specific example, in every illustration that is provided, the ATF requires a torch cut through the magwell.  If this is the case, it does not look like you can import an intact magwell like the ones you see being grafted to the back half of 80% lowers.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Alex says he has someone who can do it.  All above board.  I suggest those who are interested PM Alex and get their contact info.
View Quote
No I am not an importer. I researched companies and pay them to do it. I would suggest to do the same as stated earlier. That is how op would get a definitive answer would be by contacting them
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 1:04:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Thread hijack here.  How does one attach the magwell to an 80% lower?  My understanding is that 7075 aluminum does not weld well.  How else would you do it?
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 2:27:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thread hijack here.  How does one attach the magwell to an 80% lower?  My understanding is that 7075 aluminum does not weld well.  How else would you do it?
View Quote
This is what an early demilled magwell looks like after it is grafted to the back half of an 80% lower.  Braceman did the welding.  He is the best at doing them!

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top