Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2021 6:23:12 PM EDT
Keep a bunch loaded long term or not?I mean if we’re lucky maybe for years.

I now own 7 AR mags and I’m thinking of keeping 5 of them stashed away long time. These are Magpul Pmags.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 6:37:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Load and use dust covered to reduce tension on feed lips.  They will be fine and functional 50 years from now.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Do it.
I've had mags loaded for over 20yrs.
Every few years I grab one or two and shoot them.
Never had a problem yet.
I did get a bunch of pmags that wouldn't drop free from some lowers.
Contacted magpul, they replaced all of them.
Gen 1 for gen 2.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 7:14:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 7:24:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had some GI mags loaded for almost two decades now.  For polymer mags I'd put the covers on for long term storage.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#5]
If you only own 7 mags, please buy a few more while they are still plentiful.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 7:42:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I agree.  Get some 40's and D60's while you're at it.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/30/2021 7:45:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57761/Resized_20200616_185512_jpeg-1464627.JPG
View Quote

@jaqufrost

Who makes those bags?
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#8]
You need more. Period.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:37:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57761/Resized_20200616_185512_jpeg-1464627.JPG
View Quote

Love those bags. Can't recall the mfgr.

Pretty sure he has stated that they are discontinued here before.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:40:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I now own 7 AR mags/

View Quote

Buy more.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@jaqufrost

Who makes those bags?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@jaqufrost

Who makes those bags?

I would love to know as well!

Side note. Those that leave your mags loaded, what climate are you in? I would love to load my mags and have them at the ready but I'm a bit concerned about moisture.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:47:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Love those bags. Can't recall the mfgr.

Pretty sure he has stated that they are discontinued here before.
View Quote
Blackhawk Go Box Mag Bags. Discontinued a few years ago.

Midway has a similar chinese bag.

I recently saw a US made bag that was very similar, but I can't remember the manufacturer. The company came up in a thread on range bags and I found them while browsing around. I wish I would have saved the page.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Mags are still plentiful and inexpensive. Now is the time to stock up before neither is still the case.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:55:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good advice.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 7:04:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is good advice.

I read here a long time ago, 20 mags for every rifle in your collection....as a rule of thumb, but we all know rules are made to be broken

With that being said and I am sure I will get some comments....and yes I agree that springs wear out being cycled, not static, loaded or unloaded, but for long term storage I down load one or two rounds.....but that is me and what I do....If 18 or 28 rounds is not enough and you need those two extra, go for the back up mag(s)

Bronc
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 10:40:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Keep a bunch loaded long term or not?I mean if we’re lucky maybe for years.

I now own 7 AR mags and I’m thinking of keeping 5 of them stashed away long time. These are Magpul Pmags.

Thanks
View Quote

Just 7.
Makes no diff keeping the spring loaded up or not.

1st off, you need more mags.
2nd, more ammo.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 9:16:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This is good advice.

I read here a long time ago, 20 mags for every rifle in your collection....as a rule of thumb, but we all know rules are made to be broken

With that being said and I am sure I will get some comments....and yes I agree that springs wear out being cycled, not static, loaded or unloaded, but for long term storage I down load one or two rounds.....but that is me and what I do....If 18 or 28 rounds is not enough and you need those two extra, go for the back up mag(s)

Bronc
View Quote

The hardcore larpers say 1 mag a minute for however long you'e fighting.  30 mags for 30 minutes...Oof!
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 9:40:05 PM EDT
[#18]
USGI aluminum or Lancers, yes.

PMAGs no.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 10:11:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I have had bad luck with gen 1 and 2 pmags with feed lips spreading. They corrected the issue with gen 3. I dunno why I dont see it reported more often. I have had some loaded for less than 6 months that encountered the issue. what occurs is the 2nd round from top has enough room to pop up bullet tip first which then causes outward pressure as opposed to pushing the rounds downward when trying to insert mag and it impossible to get mag seated, no matter how much pressure and even with only 10 rounds loaded . I sold all my older gen pmags except for a few. this is just my experience. I only store up gen 3 and aluminum now
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 10:21:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got M2s that have been loaded for near 9 years, they see maybe 3-4 range trips a year, no issues. I don't even use the dust covers. Feed lips are fine.

Been using M3s for about 3 years now, no issues there either thus far.

USGI aluminum are still my bread and butter but damn those Pmags are good kit.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 3:56:08 PM EDT
[#21]
To add to what Tig said, I have 16 range mags that I have been using, the same ones for over 10 years, no others....all are loaded up, most -1 round, all are 20 rounders, and 10 of the 16 are old 20 round PMAGs....the other six are newer 20 round Lancers....

Only these mags are for range use and each see a lot of use...no covers and no issues....so I do have a lot of faith in these mags.  I have some 30 round GIs that have been loaded with 193 for over 7 years, never used....I will give them a try soon....
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 3:21:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I always add either a magazine or a spare part to my orders. I'll keep doing so until I've run out of room in my bins for mags or spares.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 11:13:55 AM EDT
[#23]
However many magazines you have, load 'em up. Last forever.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#24]
IMHO OP buy more magazines and diversify.  I prefer USGI (or should I say what used to be USGI) Okay/Surefeed 30 rounders dry lube film finish.  I also have some Labelle and D&H magazines....sprinkle in a couple Pmags too.  Nothing wrong with Pmags they are great kit however, I prefer aluminum over plastic magazines for rifles.  I do NOT load all of my magazines.  I only keep 2 loaded to 28 rounds.  If I have to use these there are serious problems in my opinion and I carry a pistol every day and prefer that for the homestead defense in most instances.  Buy magazines now while you still can brother is my advice.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 1:05:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks guys for the info. More mags incoming BTW.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 11:40:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Thanks guys for the info. More mags incoming BTW.
View Quote

Good call.  Load em up.  If you're feelin froggy, get a Maglula loader and go to town.  It almost makes it enjoyable. I have one for AR mags and one for pistol mags.  Wouldn't have it any other way.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 4:02:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've got M2s that have been loaded for near 9 years, they see maybe 3-4 range trips a year, no issues. I don't even use the dust covers. Feed lips are fine.

Been using M3s for about 3 years now, no issues there either thus far.

USGI aluminum are still my bread and butter but damn those Pmags are good kit.
View Quote

I have a few RevMs around that have been in continuous use for a little over ten years and they’re still fine.

Training mags won’t generally last that long as they get beat on.  

For serious use, I’ve been All Gen M3, All the time since 2016 and they have proven to be the toughest most reliable mag I’ve used bar none.

I have a soft spot for gi mags too, but given a choice, there’s no reason *for me* to use aluminum. Outside of pouch/carrier limitations there’s no advantage.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 5:55:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I have a soft spot for gi mags too, but given a choice, there’s no reason *for me* to use aluminum. Outside of pouch/carrier limitations there’s no advantage.
View Quote

Nostalgia.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 7:24:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Don't waste your money on 40 round mags or drum mags.  Heavy, over-priced and cumbersome.  Just stick to 30 round mags.  Pmags, DH and Lancers are great choices.  ASC and Duramag are pretty good as well.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good advice. They may get hard to get one day.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 9:41:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Don't waste your money on 40 round mags or drum mags.  Heavy, over-priced and cumbersome.  Just stick to 30 round mags.  Pmags, DH and Lancers are great choices.  ASC and Duramag are pretty good as well.
View Quote

Pmag 40s are the deal.  I love ‘em.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 10:12:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree, I bought a 40 round mag used and ended up giving it away...
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:22:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Agree, Not a fan of 40’s
I rather practice my reloads on
my 30’s
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 9:13:39 PM EDT
[#34]
I had an old lancer mag, not the current one. The old ones did not have the full metal feed lip wrap. Over ten years, the sides of the mag got slightly warped outwards. The current-gen would probably not have this problem I think.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 12:51:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like those bags. Where did you get them?

I use mil-surplus ammo cans now.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 5:42:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I like those bags. Where did you get them?

I use mil-surplus ammo cans now.
View Quote

Quoted:
Blackhawk Go Box Mag Bags. Discontinued a few years ago.

Midway has a similar chinese bag.

I recently saw a US made bag that was very similar, but I can't remember the manufacturer. The company came up in a thread on range bags and I found them while browsing around. I wish I would have saved the page.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2021 12:02:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks Tig
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 12:27:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Side note. Those that leave your mags loaded, what climate are you in? I would love to load my mags and have them at the ready but I'm a bit concerned about moisture.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@jaqufrost

Who makes those bags?

Humid climate does not matter.  I live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, about an hour from New Orleans.  Not sure it can get more humid than here in the summer. Never had a problem with quality stored loaded mags, some for decades, GI aluminum, Pmags.  Just do it.

And, I try to buy more mags whenever I can.  Prices and availability are great now.  Just wish ammo was.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#40]

@bfoosh06

Thank you sir.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:19:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 10:07:53 PM EDT
[#42]
The VISM being sold at J&G all have made in the USA tags on them. It's good to have the actual store local to me where I can check on things in person. About the only things not at cheaper than platinum prices over there though.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 7:38:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Make sure to cycle through your mags so you don't end up using the same ones repeatedly, you don't want half your mags worn in and the others fresh and gathering dust. I'd say if you're gonna hold onto them for YEARS then just buy more because you can never have enough.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 2:28:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Make sure to cycle through your mags so you don't end up using the same ones repeatedly, you don't want half your mags worn in and the others fresh and gathering dust. I'd say if you're gonna hold onto them for YEARS then just buy more because you can never have enough.
View Quote

Really?  My old loaded mags, loaded for years, don't cycle any less reliably than the recently bought ones.  You may be concerned about lip wear, but I'm just not seeing it.  I sometimes pull from the old ones.  I sometimes shoot from the new ones, mostly to make sure a new mag has no manufacturing defect.  I see no functional difference.

There are non-AR mags for bolt guns and some older semi-auto pistol and rifle mags that use inferior springs that can develop a "set" or fatigue over time.  Those were made in the '50s and '60s, though.   I've had to replace some of those due to weak springs.

AR mil spec springs don't have that problem, at least I've never seen it.

I did have a 10 round Thermold (North Carolina) AR15 mag bought for bench shooting.  It took a dump.  Weak spring.  That was almost from day one.  Multiple feeding issues with all ammo I fed it.  Just poor quality.  Maybe they fixed that.  Can't recommend them.

Link Posted: 7/10/2021 12:29:57 AM EDT
[#45]
OP buy more mags, 7 isn't near enough!

I have about 10-15 that I use regularly and keep most loaded.

However, for long term storage I keep my mags un-loaded and store them in an ammo can. I have a 30mm ammo can that I store my AR15 mags in. Its about 18 inches long, 8 inches wide, and 15 inches tall. I have about 120 30 round mags in it. I don't store them loaded as it would make it too heavy to pick up and move if I needed to pack up and leave. I store most of my ammo in stripper clips and can load mags pretty quickly if I need to. The ammo can keeps the mags in a dry environment too.

I have a variety of mags but l like the old USGI aluminium mags but do have some PMags & Lancer mags.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 9:00:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Don't try it with Tapco mags (did they even ever make AR mags?)
Had a half dozen SKS Tapco mags loaded, sitting on a shelf in my home, never got above 80°f,
and after about a year one day, found several of them had lost their lunch all over the carpeting.
Sold all that shit except one, which stays in the rifle with bolt closed, keeping the rounds down, away from the mag lips.

Plastic is for toy guns, not real ones.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 2:19:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Plastic is for toy guns, not real ones.
View Quote

Magpul would say otherwise and their track record confirms such.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#48]
I use and own 30 round mags, for both 5.56mm & 300 Blackout (mix of Pmag's and Lancer's), but prefer 20 round round mags because your noggin can be a big target, and I can get lower in the prone with a 20 round mag.

I also keep a couple of ten rounders (2 each for 5.56 PMag & 2 each for 300 BLK Lancer) just for bench work and load testing and development.

So my minimum mag counts looks like this:

5.56mm = Two 10 round Pmags, Twenty 20 Round Lancers (all FDE), Ten 30 Round Pmags.

300 Black = two 10 round 300 BLK Lancers, Twenty 20 Round 300 BLK Lancers, Ten 30 Round 300 BLK Lancers.    

Note: Magpul has just announced 20 round dedicated 300 Blackout PMags.  As soon as I find some in stock, I'm going to buy a few for T&E.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 6:25:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The hardcore larpers say 1 mag a minute for however long you'e fighting.  30 mags for 30 minutes...Oof!
View Quote

A round every other second for 30 minutes straight?

900 rounds in half an hour will probably toast most barrels.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top