Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2021 1:45:12 PM EDT
So, fiddling with parts last night, pulled the BCG (chrome slickside Brownells) out of the receiver, went to put it on the table, and the firing pin hits the floor.

Pick it up, reinstall, check the retaining pin... well,the hole where I'd installed the nice chrome machined pin (thanks, AR15Sport!). Check the receiver. Check the table. Check my lap. Check the carpet... *there* it is!

Edited to add picture:

Reinsert, tip the BCG, ZOOOP to the carpet again.

Carefully spread the tines with a small screwdriver, now it won't enter the far-side hole. Unspread, insert, very carefully attempt to spread in situ, nope. Repeat assorted fiddling, still won't stay in.

Am I missing something here, or do I just need to wedge it even wider after insertion? There's a similar pin from KNS that says to just have the slot sideways on insertion, but that results in no change - wider spread, no go; less spread, won't stay.

Please note: I'm not interested in the history or machined vs cotter pins, reports of how well they work or fail, et cetera. I just want this lil' sumbitch to stay in so I can have a pretty princess BCG discover reliability for myself, and not have to swear search whatever inappropriate location I've stripped it in for the bugger.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:56:22 PM EDT
[#1]
on the very front of the split tines is it chamfered to aid in installation ( notice how I didn't say insertion ). If it is chamfered maybe you just have to push a little harder. Personally, I never had any problems with the cotter pin.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Put grease on it and it will stay in place until you install the bcg into your rifle.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Put grease on it and it will stay in place until you install the bcg into your rifle.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 3:58:06 PM EDT
[#4]
this is why you want to pick up a spare parts kit, they are cheap enough to have a couple on hand.

$10 at Midway.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
on the very front of the split tines is it chamfered to aid in installation ( notice how I didn't say insertion ). If it is chamfered maybe you just have to push a little harder. Personally, I never had any problems with the cotter pin.
View Quote

This looks much better than the cotter pin, though.

I'll try to chamfer it a bit tonight, though.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#6]
KNS has a nice one as well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 7:41:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Retro FPRP?
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#8]
what the hell is FPRP ??  Foundation for the Promotion of Responsible Parenthood
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
what the hell is FPRP ??  Foundation for the Promotion of Responsible Parenthood
View Quote

firing pin retaining pin
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Lil' bit of chamfer, lil' bit extra wedging, now likes it's new home.

My Young Manufacturing slickside? Didn't even need the chamfering, just opening the tines a tad.

If I was at all smart, I'd be getting the final color adjustments done to the LPK components that need it and assembling the lower this weekend...
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 9:50:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Retro FPRP?
View Quote

Quoted:
View Quote

Damn abbreviations. Firing pin retaining pin.

Honestly had no idea that the early guns (601/602?) used machined retaining pins.

Learnt sumthing today.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 12:00:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Damn abbreviations. Firing pin retaining pin.

Honestly had no idea that the early guns (601/602?) used machined retaining pins.

Learnt sumthing today.  
View Quote

Early SP1's used parkerized machined FPRP's too and they are worth a pretty penny.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 12:22:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top