Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Tacked MRP Badness, chapter 3 (Page 45 of 143)
Page / 143
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 11:03:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
Folks chop 14.5 Colt barrels down to 10.3 all the time for Mk18 builds and open the port to Crane-spec of .070 I'd be willing to bet that would be a good start.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jaysop:
I hadent really thought about the potential gas issues of cutting the barrels before.

If I were to get a 14.5 carbine gas barrel and have it cut to 11.5 would I encounter issues?
I really like what I read about 11.5 vs 10.5.
Folks chop 14.5 Colt barrels down to 10.3 all the time for Mk18 builds and open the port to Crane-spec of .070 I'd be willing to bet that would be a good start.
Any idea what the port size is for a LMT 14.5 barrel?
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 11:16:18 PM EDT
[#2]
View All Quotes
I hadent really thought about the potential gas issues of cutting the barrels before.

If I were to get a 14.5 carbine gas barrel and have it cut to 11.5 would I encounter issues?
I really like what I read about 11.5 vs 10.5.
No clue. If you send it to ADCO, they usually open the port when they chop.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:49:00 AM EDT
[#3]

No clue. If you send it to ADCO, they usually open the port when they chop.
View Quote
Good to know. That's where I planned on sending it If I end up keeping the MRP upper.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 8:09:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Good to know. That's where I planned on sending it If I end up keeping the MRP upper.
View Quote
I sent an MRP barrel to them a few years ago and the work was terrible.  I wouldn't send my daughters Daisy to ADCO.  All of my work goes to Marvin Pitts at Nefarious Arms.  His work is phenomenal.  Just my .02 cents.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 8:45:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By INTrooper4255:

I sent an MRP barrel to them a few years ago and the work was terrible.  I wouldn't send my daughters Daisy to ADCO.  All of my work goes to Marvin Pitts at Nefarious Arms.  His work is phenomenal.  Just my .02 cents.
View Quote
Your the first person to speak ill of Adco's work. Could you explain what happened?
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 9:07:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 11/14/2017 9:21:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ACPjunkie:
Your the first person to speak ill of Adco's work. Could you explain what happened?
View Quote
I sent a 14.5 inch MRP barrel to them to have a Smith Vortex pinned and welded.  I got it back and the weld was horrible, you could still see part of the pin, my 10 year old probably could have done better  I ended up having someone local redo the weld, ground and refinished it myself.  It was years ago, I don't know if they're any better now, but I won't send anything to them. Like I said, you can't beat Marvin Pitts work.  He has done 2 MRP barrels for me, one fully dimpled and refinished and the other, cut down, dimpled, refinished and pinnned and welded and they're phenomenal.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 10:29:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Your M-lok MWS looks awesome!  What length barrel is it?

Cheers
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 10:48:19 AM EDT
[#9]
13.5 ss
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I sent a 14.5 inch MRP barrel to them to have a Smith Vortex pinned and welded.  I got it back and the weld was horrible, you could still see part of the pin, my 10 year old probably could have done better  I ended up having someone local redo the weld, ground and refinished it myself.  It was years ago, I don't know if they're any better now, but I won't send anything to them. Like I said, you can't beat Marvin Pitts work.  He has done 2 MRP barrels for me, one fully dimpled and refinished and the other, cut down, dimpled, refinished and pinnned and welded and they're phenomenal.
View All Quotes
I've had poor work done by ADCO as well. I've heard this a few times but most reviews are positive. I guess if you are the customer who wants a barrel cut to about 12.5" and are happy with something close to 12.5", they'll be good for you.

While Marvin does great work, I had him sit on a barrel I sent in for 11 months and didn't touch it. Every two months I would contact them and Beth would tell me "he's working on it" or "it's almost done". I can't recommend him.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:

I've had poor work done by ADCO as well. I've heard this a few times but most reviews are positive. I guess if you are the customer who wants a barrel cut to about 12.5" and are happy with something close to 12.5", they'll be good for you.

While Marvin does great work, I had him sit on a barrel I sent in for 11 months and didn't touch it. Every two months I would contact them and Beth would tell me "he's working on it" or "it's almost done". I can't recommend him.
View Quote
I copy you on that.  My last barrel was slow, but to me, the quality of his work is worth the wait.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

I suppose that's why your Mk18 barrel drawing got created?
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 5:22:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Factory 14.5" barrel:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#14]
View All Quotes

Ha! Yeah!
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#15]
300BO MRP with Rugged Suppressors Surge
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By jtdam24:
http://i.imgur.com/UHWVicO.jpg
View Quote
As always that’s a great pic. I really dig the landscape shot.

Cheers
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 9:29:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By buddyhoohaw:

Cheers
View All Quotes
http://i.imgur.com/UHWVicO.jpg

Cheers
Thanks brother it was a quick cell phone pic after shooting. It was hard to get the pic to be not too light or dark due to the sun. Anyhow the surge doesn't get enough attention. I think it's the best 30 cal can out. I need to try the Hornady 208 A max subs
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 12:15:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll have something very exciting to show you gentlemen either Monday or Tuesday..........

Here's some eye candy until then!
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 8:07:08 PM EDT
[#19]
6.5 up top, 308 down low

Link Posted: 11/18/2017 11:18:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Love all these new MRP photos.
Keep em coming.

Link Posted: 11/18/2017 9:18:51 PM EDT
[#21]
A little krylon to color match

Link Posted: 11/18/2017 11:41:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 10:19:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffy] [#23]
Edwin, since you posted the vintage ARMS ACOG mount, I'll post my 2004 vintage MRP, in continuous use since then, and has been the test bed for all prototypes since my old days at Battle Arms, it continues to serve that roll in my new company

Someone said this AR was thrown down the driveway lol. If they only knew.... the paint job is more than 10 years old, everything on this rig is well used, except for the SBCG prototype.

Here in its 2004 configuration, still unpainted then, with all the then current technology

Testing a flash suppressor prototype couple of months back:
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Awesome, Duffy.

You know, so many years ago, I painted my MRP 16" SS barrel with ceramic header paint ($2.95), then baked it on in the oven.
Well I took a good look at it and noticed it now has a nick in it where the SS actually shows through.
One nick!  And it's been banged hard on everything, and is my best MRP barrel.
I don't know if this makes any difference, but my heat treatment actually turned the barrel extension to a light gold color.
Thousands of rounds later, it is still flawlessly accurate and shows almost zero throat wear.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Duffy:
Edwin, since you posted the vintage ARMS ACOG mount, I'll post my 2004 vintage MRP, in continuous use since then, and has been the test bed for all prototypes since my old days at Battle Arms, it continues to serve that roll in my new company

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/sbcgmrp_zpslbreoltp.jpg

Someone said this AR was thrown down the driveway lol. If they only knew.... the paint job is more than 10 years old, everything on this rig is well used, except for the SBCG prototype.

Here in its 2004 configuration, still unpainted then, with all the then current technology
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/MRE.jpg

Testing a flash suppressor prototype couple of months back:
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/1815prototype_zpsr8lcxlou.jpg
View Quote
That has always been my favorite MRP.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 1:33:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffy] [#26]
My rattle can paint job didn't fare nearly as well, I just figured I'd paint over it when I feel like, I never bothered to put as much energy into it.  I suspect underneath the paint, the MRP is probably preserved in superb condition, what with the paint taking the brunt of the wear

This MRP AR has been a part of almost all of my product development and testing, there's a lot of history.  The EMR (mag button) has its anodizing worn off from repeated mag catch removal while testing our EMR-A, the shadow left by KNS anti-rotation pins bars was me getting tired of having to install and remove them while testing triggers with selectors.  The Geissele Airborne CH had blood washed off when a friend mortared the gun trying to extract a stuck case and cut himself with the ACH somehow, while filming the 6315 flash suppressor.

The top of the forward assist housing is stripped of paint, because my fingers travel over it when I use the ambi charging handle's right lack to pull back on the CH.  That realization back in 2012 led to the LDFA (low drag forward assist), which can be seen in the pic below.

One day when I'm old and grey, I'll put it in a glass case just to reminisce the journey we took together
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 2:07:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: edwin907] [#27]
A glass case would be a fitting tribute for that MRP, unlike Lenin, isn't he still in a case in Moscow?
http://www.cnn.com/travel/article/lenin-mausoleum-moscow/index.html

Remember when there were all the detractors of the MRP upper, "expensive junk", "just carry another complete upper than change the barrel", and "you can't get any barrels for it", or "too heavy" and "damage the rail you'll have to scrap the whole upper", as well as dozens more.
Well my short and long MRP uppers would be the last ones I'd ever get rid of.  I never did get that 16" MRP barrel profiled for the OPS 12th can, the SpecWar works great on it.  And I really use it mostly on the 10.5" and 14.5" barrels.
My go to gun is the MRP 10.5" SBR with CompM4 or the 16" Krieger Recon TA11C, but I have put the 16" MRP back into that fold with a USO 1.8-10X scope. It's just always been one of my best uppers, period.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 2:27:39 PM EDT
[#28]
It's been 13 years, I can't recall, but wouldn't be surprised if someone said it was a solution in search of a problem.

I've built numerous ARs since, and this is the one I shoot all the time.  It was well ahead of its time.  The monolithic concept might not have taken off, but its continuous rails have more or less become the norm.  I don't have another barrel for it, I'm thinking about sending a lighter profiled barrel to have it converted for the MRP, but I'm waiting for a real good reason other than weight, and I've come up short so far.

Good thing i have a pic of what it looked like when the paint job was still fresh, it looks considerably worse for wear now

Link Posted: 11/19/2017 6:30:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Tested out the Bootleg adjustable carrier in my 10.5" setup yesterday.  So far, I like it better than the Gemtech carrier I've been using for some time now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By m4hk33:
A little krylon to color match

https://preview.ibb.co/gFPccm/20171118_172943.jpg
View Quote
Where did you source the M-LOK chassis. I don’t see it on LMT’s site yet?
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Got the upper from lmt direct.

Website needs updated, give the email a call.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 4:06:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: INTrooper4255] [#32]
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 4:09:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote
I dig it.  How do you like the MAMS?

Cheers
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 6:52:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Cheers
View Quote
It runs smooth, I'm glad I went with it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes

Cheers
It’s kind of hard to tell but is it the M4QD mams?

Cheers
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 7:47:40 PM EDT
[#37]

It’s kind of hard to tell but is it the M4QD mams?

Cheers
View Quote
Yes, it is.  I had a Battle Conp 1.5 on my other MRP and this is a 16 inch mid length gas barrel that I had Marvin Pitts cut down and pin and weld the MAMS.  I'm definitely pleased with how soft it shoots.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 5:20:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Took the 6.5 and 13.5, 308 out today, took about 10 rounds to get a nice Group out of the 6.5 with American gunner 140smk.

Good ammo, shot a couple 4 round clover leafs with the typical flyer just out side the group. Solid 3/4 Moa combo.

The 13.5 ran well suppressed, group wasn't great since I had no mloc panels to attached my bipod, I would say under 2 moa with  a mostly horizontal spread.

I'm confident with a good position and bipod, it would shoot on part with my other SS lmt barrels.

That 6.5 is going to be nice when I finally get a chance to take it to the mountains
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 10:45:49 PM EDT
[#39]
I'll have something very exciting to show you gentlemen either Monday or Tuesday..........

http://i.imgur.com/0iu16vB.jpg
View Quote
You got me interested and now it's tuesday...
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 8:29:39 AM EDT
[#40]
View All Quotes

http://i.imgur.com/0iu16vB.jpg
My timeline needs adjustment but I will have something very exciting for you within the next week....
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Update - on the 28th I will have something awesome to show.......
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 8:22:19 PM EDT
[#42]
If it's a Mlok MRP with an 11 inch rail I'm gonna shit my pants. Just sayin
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 8:27:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Should I not be blowing up my credit card on Black Friday deals?  M-lok MRP sounds like something I really need
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#44]
It may be something else all together. Just saying.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 10:20:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jtdam24] [#45]
In the mean time anyone wanna trade a NIB Trijicon 1-8x optic for a NIB Sig Sauer Echo 1 Thermal (the 2000.00 one)? It's brand spanking new....I want to run the Trijicon 1-8 or Acog/RMR on a new project
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 9:34:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Awesome Black Friday deal on the New Zealand barrel with bayonet lug.

https://www.lmtstore.com/parts/barrels/new-zealand-barrel.html
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 11:41:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By heavydsupreme:
Awesome Black Friday deal on the New Zealand barrel with bayonet lug.

https://www.lmtstore.com/parts/barrels/new-zealand-barrel.html
View Quote
Sold out. Bummer.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 8:44:13 AM EDT
[#48]

Sold out. Bummer.
View Quote
I got one. Now I just need an MRP upper lol. Baby steps I guess.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By heavydsupreme:

I got one. Now I just need an MRP upper lol. Baby steps I guess.
View Quote
Congrats on the score. Post some pics of the barrel when you get it as I have not seen one.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#50]

Congrats on the score. Post some pics of the barrel when you get it as I have not seen one.
View Quote
Will do. I’m going to slowly build up a clone of the New Zealand rifle and was waiting for this to be available for a while.

What’s a good image posting site? Photo bucket went wonky.
Page / 143
Tacked MRP Badness, chapter 3 (Page 45 of 143)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top