Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
AR Sponsor

MRP Badness, chapter 3 (Page 11 of 146)

Previous Page
/ 146
Next Page
5/4/2011 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By jasonusvi:
Originally Posted By jasonusvi:
Originally Posted By buddyhoohaw:
Seekonk torque wrenches are nice.

Seekonk Wrenches

Same ones issued in the SCAR kit.

Cheers


I like the fact that the Mariposa tops out right at our desired setting.  How much are Seekonks that get to 140 vs. the Mariposa at $150?


Decided to pick up a "Pro" version at this Link.  With store wide discount code, free shipping, and 2 free water bottles it is $189.99.  That included the box and bits and the pro version comes with a free $50 recalibration if you ever need it.  Since this version is branded for Kestrel carbon fiber bikes you could also look for support there if it was ever needed.

Video link to how it works.  Like that it breaks at the correct point.




If you have the time, I'd love to see it in actual operation on one of your MRP/MWS chassis's....I really like the size of the Mariposa.
5/5/2011 3:50:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buddyhoohaw][Edited] [#2]
5.56 MRP  







Cheers
5/6/2011 10:31:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jasonusvi][Edited] [#3]
Very nice buddy.  You prefer your MRP or the SCAR or do you like them the same in different ways?

Got the Mariposa today... it is amazing and seems to be made for MRP-MWS / Sopmod (an option anyway).  Works perfectly and does not need the bit extender.  Check it out...





If I put the bit in it will retain it but the bit sticks out a little too far.  A plastic bag may provide protection and enough friction to retain it and it cant come out in collapsed position or out 2 spots.  Nice storage option to have!  


Noveske 300 BLK bore waiting for 762-SDN-6





5/6/2011 10:40:37 PM EDT
[#4]


f**king sick!!!

Jason, great pics...love to pic one up sooner or later
5/8/2011 8:21:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey everyone, been hanging around for awhile now, soaking up all the info, but decided it was time to post. I apologize if these questions have been answered, but the hundreds of pages of MRP Badness can make finding the answer overwhelming. Suggestions on where to buy CQB MRP Piston setup (Tombstone Tactical seems the lowest from my search)? I am new to the AR-15 world, this will be my first rifle and its primary purpose is for patrol, my only concern going with this setup is the weight. So, recontouring, dimpling, or fluting, which is the best option? Remember this is for patrol so potential failure isn't an option. Also where would you get the barrel done at? Any other ways to shave weight off the rifle? I am currently looking at equipping it with an EoTech OPMOD, Tritium BUIS (suggestions?), vertical grip, and a flashlight. Any suggestions would be great, I would love all the advice I can get, and money isn't a factor for a quality tool that might save my life or others one day. Thanks.
5/9/2011 1:53:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By jm23:
Hey everyone, been hanging around for awhile now, soaking up all the info, but decided it was time to post. I apologize if these questions have been answered, but the hundreds of pages of MRP Badness can make finding the answer overwhelming. Suggestions on where to buy CQB MRP Piston setup (Tombstone Tactical seems the lowest from my search)? I am new to the AR-15 world, this will be my first rifle and its primary purpose is for patrol, my only concern going with this setup is the weight. So, recontouring, dimpling, or fluting, which is the best option? Remember this is for patrol so potential failure isn't an option. Also where would you get the barrel done at? Any other ways to shave weight off the rifle? I am currently looking at equipping it with an EoTech OPMOD, Tritium BUIS (suggestions?), vertical grip, and a flashlight. Any suggestions would be great, I would love all the advice I can get, and money isn't a factor for a quality tool that might save my life or others one day. Thanks.



DSGarms or Rainer, or from LMT direct would be my choice. The first two are site sponsors. All three offer LE pricing. Adco is also a site sponsor who can do the barrel work.


Edited Aimless
5/9/2011 2:12:43 AM EDT
[#7]
^^love your top sig line.."lmt user".....and then your bottom sig line.."edited aimless"^^
5/9/2011 6:52:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Marvin Pitts also does amazing barrel work.  A lot of guys here have used him.
Wollt Ihr ewig leben?
5/9/2011 8:41:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By jm23:
Hey everyone, been hanging around for awhile now, soaking up all the info, but decided it was time to post. I apologize if these questions have been answered, but the hundreds of pages of MRP Badness can make finding the answer overwhelming. Suggestions on where to buy CQB MRP Piston setup (Tombstone Tactical seems the lowest from my search)? I am new to the AR-15 world, this will be my first rifle and its primary purpose is for patrol, my only concern going with this setup is the weight. So, recontouring, dimpling, or fluting, which is the best option? Remember this is for patrol so potential failure isn't an option. Also where would you get the barrel done at? Any other ways to shave weight off the rifle? I am currently looking at equipping it with an EoTech OPMOD, Tritium BUIS (suggestions?), vertical grip, and a flashlight. Any suggestions would be great, I would love all the advice I can get, and money isn't a factor for a quality tool that might save my life or others one day. Thanks.


Also call Pete at ar15sales.com. He offers great pricing and shipping is included.
5/9/2011 10:01:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By jm23:
Hey everyone, been hanging around for awhile now, soaking up all the info, but decided it was time to post. I apologize if these questions have been answered, but the hundreds of pages of MRP Badness can make finding the answer overwhelming. Suggestions on where to buy CQB MRP Piston setup (Tombstone Tactical seems the lowest from my search)? I am new to the AR-15 world, this will be my first rifle and its primary purpose is for patrol, my only concern going with this setup is the weight. So, recontouring, dimpling, or fluting, which is the best option? Remember this is for patrol so potential failure isn't an option. Also where would you get the barrel done at? Any other ways to shave weight off the rifle? I am currently looking at equipping it with an EoTech OPMOD, Tritium BUIS (suggestions?), vertical grip, and a flashlight. Any suggestions would be great, I would love all the advice I can get, and money isn't a factor for a quality tool that might save my life or others one day. Thanks.


I would avoid Eotech at the suggestion of Pat Rogers.  He has a massive amount of experience teaching carbine courses and he has found them to be much less reliable than Aimpoint (get an H1 or T1 given the concern about weight).  

Turn down / recontour should be most effective weight reduction and would recommend ADCO for that and other work.  

You might want to consider just getting a tritium front post.  I don't have experience with them but imagine there is not much reason to have the extra glowing dots in your face on your rear iron (and completely useless if you develop a consistent cheek weld for irons shooting).
5/9/2011 10:46:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Video of Barry Dueck running his offset irons on an MRP.
5/10/2011 11:41:06 PM EDT
[#12]
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms
Thomas Jefferson

How fucked are we as a Nation that two dudes kissing is more acceptable than an American holding a rifle or serving his Country
5/11/2011 8:10:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By scoutfsu99:
Marvin Pitts also does amazing barrel work.  A lot of guys here have used him.



some of Marvin's work. . . . .










i wanted a 12.5" but didn't want a piston (not sold on pistons) so i had Marvin cut a 14.5" back and dimple it. runs like a champ with the can on or off, couldn't be happier. going to get a few more barrels out to him sooner or later. . . . the MWS is next on the list



"I can't say it all went exactly the way I'd planned, but I was right about one thing: they were all better off dead."

*John Smith* (Bruce Willis); Last Man Standing


5/11/2011 8:12:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Yep...good stuff indeed
Wollt Ihr ewig leben?
5/11/2011 8:42:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmedSuspect][Edited] [#15]
Originally Posted By scoutfsu99:
Yep...good stuff indeed
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii64/scb9900/Guns%20and%20stuff/DSC02346.jpg




16" mid? i want to have one cut back to 14.5" and dimpled. the barrel is on my work bench, just need to send it out.












"I can't say it all went exactly the way I'd planned, but I was right about one thing: they were all better off dead."

*John Smith* (Bruce Willis); Last Man Standing


5/11/2011 9:16:13 AM EDT
[#16]
roger - 16 cut to 14.5
Wollt Ihr ewig leben?
5/11/2011 9:41:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By scoutfsu99:
roger - 16 cut to 14.5


excellent! looks like i need to get my barrel in the mail.










"I can't say it all went exactly the way I'd planned, but I was right about one thing: they were all better off dead."

*John Smith* (Bruce Willis); Last Man Standing


5/11/2011 12:44:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought a complete, used MRP upper for $550.  Only downside was that it had been heavily shot, with a lot of suppressed action.  Marvin cleaned it up a bit for me and even reparked it for me.  He also identified that the gas tube was on it's last legs and replaced it for free.  I kicked him out some extra money for his time/effort, but he definitely didn't ask for it.  Awesome guy who does awesome work.
Wollt Ihr ewig leben?
5/11/2011 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Mr. Pitts dimpled my 14.5 inch MRP barrel and did a fabulous job.  I plan on having him do my 10.5 inch MRP sometime.
5/11/2011 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#20]
How much is dimpling?
5/11/2011 5:28:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmedSuspect][Edited] [#21]
Originally Posted By jasonusvi:
How much is dimpling?


i don't recall what i paid to have mine dimpled and the total cost included cut, thread, dimple & refinish so my total would be off either way.

shoot him an IM and he'll send you a price list. i accidentally deleted it from my IM's or i would help you out. don't know if he cares or not but i kept the price list confined to IM only.



edit:
well worth it either way. i still need to put them on a scale but my 12.5" *seems* to be a lightweight compared to my standard 10.5".

"I can't say it all went exactly the way I'd planned, but I was right about one thing: they were all better off dead."

*John Smith* (Bruce Willis); Last Man Standing


5/11/2011 7:35:49 PM EDT
[#22]
What is the benefit to dimpling vs contouring? Or dimpling vs fluting? (I am new to all this, but want to be educated when I buy a patrol rifle)
5/13/2011 3:41:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By jm23:
What is the benefit to dimpling vs contouring? Or dimpling vs fluting? (I am new to all this, but want to be educated when I buy a patrol rifle)


I don't want to kill your enthusiasm, but...

If this weapon is for patrol use (and it is your first AR), we can surmise that it will spend the bulk of it's time in your cruiser, not being
lugged around by you all day. If this is the case, then weight reduction is not a critical item. Yes, you should make sure
that you are not hanging all manner of useless junk on the rifle. A patrol rifle should have a Red Dot Sight (RDS), BUIS (Back-Up Iron SIghts),
and a light.

Having a vertical or angled grip is a personal choice.

With this in mind, your rifle should be light enough for it's intended use.

Do this:

Take the money you would spend on having that barrel work done and instead invest that money into a quality one or  
two day (even better!!) carbine course. Do it on your own time/dime, don't wait for the Dept to have something scheduled.

After taking the course, you'll have a better understanding of how to run that carbine and you will really know whether or not
you actually need that stuff done to your barrel.

Invest in software before spending on hardware.

Not a sermon, just a thought.



5/13/2011 7:44:32 PM EDT
[#24]
No sounds like great advice. I would still like to know the differences between the different options for the barrel just to educate myself.
5/13/2011 9:11:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jgeiken][Edited] [#25]
To answer your question:
Fluting is a process that removes shallow "channels" of barrel material meant to lighten the barrel and increase the surface of the barrel.
Dimpling is a process with the same intentions thought to maintain the longitudinal structure (rigidity) lost by cutting channels the length of the barrel. Knights Arm. were the first guys to start doing it on factory rifles (PDW) and the jury is still out on the actual effectiveness/weigh savings of dimples vs. fluting.

Both processes save multiple oz. from the rifle (especially foreward of the reciever) and encourage faster cooling of the barrel.

I run 16" cut to 14.7 and fluted for my patrol rig. I'll try to get a pic up in a few.
5/13/2011 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Here is a link that discusses barrel fluting:

http://www.snipercountry.com/articles/realbenefitsbarrelfluting.asp
5/20/2011 10:59:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: monsonman][Edited] [#27]
anyone know how long it takes to get something from LMT? i just ordered an 18" MRP barrel a couple days ago and am so anxious to add more MRP badness to my life!!
5/20/2011 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#28]
It took them about 5 days to "process" my order, then another 2 days from shipped till it hit my doorstep.  One week is not too bad for a Manufacturer.

I ordered a 16" MRP CQB Piston Barrel.  Came well packaged and perfect!  Good luck!
5/21/2011 11:58:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By jasonusvi:
Very nice buddy.  You prefer your MRP or the SCAR or do you like them the same in different ways?


Obviously I like them both, however the nod goes to the SCAR over the AR-15 in general due to the adjustable gas block, lefty friendly ambi controls, side charging handle, adjustable comb on stock and overal design.  

Cheers

5/21/2011 1:13:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By RC51_Texas:
It took them about 5 days to "process" my order, then another 2 days from shipped till it hit my doorstep.  One week is not too bad for a Manufacturer.

I ordered a 16" MRP CQB Piston Barrel.  Came well packaged and perfect!  Good luck!


Thanks! Yeah that's why I was wondering because I've never ordered directly from the source! Will post pics as soon as it arrives!
5/22/2011 10:14:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Spikes 22lr conversion





5/23/2011 11:45:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Current barrel line up with only the MWS 16" CL 308 missing.  All gas blocks pinned.

20" SS Noveske 6.5 Creedmoor - rifle gas - no muzzle devise (converted by DBMG and threads removed)
18" SS LMT 556 - mid gas - FSC556 comp
16" CL LMT 556 - mid gas - A2 hider
14.5" SS LMT 6.8 SPCII - carbine gas - vortex hider (cut down from 18", reamed to spcII, turned down, & coated black by ADCO)
14.5" CL LMT 556 - carbine gas - FSC556 comp
12" CL LMT 556 - mid piston - AAC 51T hider
12.5" CL LMT 6.8 SPC - carbine gas - Vltor A2
10.5" SS Noveske 300FB - pistol gas - waiting for AAC 51T hider (converted by DBMG)
11.5" Spikes 22lr - blow back - AAC 51T break



5/24/2011 10:03:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By jasonusvi:
Current barrel line up with only the MWS 16" CL 308 missing.  All gas blocks pinned.

20" SS Noveske 6.5 Creedmoor - rifle gas - no muzzle devise (converted by DBMG and threads removed)
18" SS LMT 556 - mid gas - FSC556 comp
16" CL LMT 556 - mid gas - A2 hider
14.5" SS LMT 6.8 SPCII - carbine gas - vortex hider (cut down from 18", reamed to spcII, turned down, & coated black by ADCO)
14.5" CL LMT 556 - carbine gas - FSC556 comp
12" CL LMT 556 - mid piston - AAC 51T hider
12.5" CL LMT 6.8 SPC - carbine gas - Vltor A2
10.5" SS Noveske 300FB - pistol gas - waiting for AAC 51T hider (converted by DBMG)
11.5" Spikes 22lr - blow back - AAC 51T break

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx166/jasonusvi/mrp9barrels.jpg

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx166/jasonusvi/mrp9barrels2.jpg


WOW that is some serious MRP badness!! how many different uppers do you have to service all those barrels?
5/24/2011 10:15:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jasonusvi][Edited] [#34]
Got 2 MRP CQB uppers used and 1 full MWS new.  Only barrels I got new are the stock 16" 308 (not pictured) that the MWS came with, the 2 Noveske conversions, and the 12" piston direct from LMT.  Got the SS 6.8 from a member who had all the work done but just had it back to ADCO to get the port filled and re-drilled tighter because it was over gassed.  

Have to get some 6.8 loaded up to see how it performs this coming weekend.  Plan to use one of the 6.8s for a Hog hunt in Florida on my next visit... possibly 12.5" with a suppressor.  Still debating reaming the 12.5" 6.8... perhaps I should send it for both a ream and dimples.

18" mid gas 6.5PCC wildcat is on order and slated to be converted.  May put a Noveske switch block on it.  After that I think I'm done.  I have enjoyed shooting the 300BLK and am looking forward to another 556 parent case round.  

Ive got different lengths and calibers for various roles but didn't have to invest in new upper receivers and expensive rails (that won't be as good as this monolithic) or assembly cost.  I know I'm preaching to the converted.
5/29/2011 2:07:14 AM EDT
[#35]
just in this week ....... another MRP but i went with the piston barrel..... would like to build a 5.45x39 barrel next....  do yo think i can get a piston to work with the 5.45 barrel???
anyone do a MRP in 5.45x39 yet??  Im sure someone has......



5/29/2011 8:47:16 PM EDT
[#36]
User feedback on the Spikes .22 barrel/bolt setup for the MRP? I like the idea for use on the M16, but would like some first-hand accounts of reliability before ordering.
6/1/2011 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#37]
I think this is my first actual post, but it's definitely in the right spot seeing as you all forced me to buy an MRP. I am waiting on parts for a new lower and a stock. Got a heavier buffer coming, and saving up for a better trigger. Scope is a WOTAC 4-14x50mm. Looking to get the barrel coated and looking to put a vortex flash hider on.

Excuse the bad picture. I was too excited to take a better picture!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/248048_10150634002745557_801615556_19009058_7985568_n.jpg
6/2/2011 4:42:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: monsonman][Edited] [#38]
as promised! my 18 incher came in last night!! cant wait to shoot it!
6/4/2011 2:36:17 AM EDT
[#39]
"finished" my two MRPs.  Ironically, after taking the photos I decided I didn't like fixed sights + Eotech and put an Aimpoint back on there. Oh well.



6/4/2011 10:46:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jasonusvi][Edited] [#40]
We got lucky fellow MRPers.  Just put an PRI adjustable gas block on my Noveske 300BLK and the adjustment is perfectly accessible without removing the barrel.  I plan to shut gas off for fast powder ultra quiet single shots (that won't cycle fully anyway) and open it fully to cycle slower powder subs.  Could also tune for best balance for supers but that is not my plan for this barrel.  Might file on the block a bit as it looks like it barely touches the upper.  







6/4/2011 2:34:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By sevin8nin:
"finished" my two MRPs.  Ironically, after taking the photos I decided I didn't like fixed sights + Eotech and put an Aimpoint back on there. Oh well.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/b0b0o7o7/MRPlongfinal.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/b0b0o7o7/MRPlong1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/b0b0o7o7/MRPshortfinal1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/b0b0o7o7/MRPshortfinal.jpg


Nice set...although your CQB could use a tax stamp and 10.5" barrel.

Cheers

6/4/2011 7:15:26 PM EDT
[#42]


Originally Posted By mo4040:
Originally Posted By jm23:
What is the benefit to dimpling vs contouring? Or dimpling vs fluting? (I am new to all this, but want to be educated when I buy a patrol rifle)


I don't want to kill your enthusiasm, but...

If this weapon is for patrol use (and it is your first AR), we can surmise that it will spend the bulk of it's time in your cruiser, not being
lugged around by you all day. If this is the case, then weight reduction is not a critical item. Yes, you should make sure
that you are not hanging all manner of useless junk on the rifle. A patrol rifle should have a Red Dot Sight (RDS), BUIS (Back-Up Iron SIghts),
and a light.

Having a vertical or angled grip is a personal choice.

With this in mind, your rifle should be light enough for it's intended use.

Do this:

Take the money you would spend on having that barrel work done and instead invest that money into a quality one or  
two day (even better!!) carbine course. Do it on your own time/dime, don't wait for the Dept to have something scheduled.

After taking the course, you'll have a better understanding of how to run that carbine and you will really know whether or not
you actually need that stuff done to your barrel.

Invest in software before spending on hardware.

Not a sermon, just a thought.





I agree with this, to a point....The value of a good carbine class is well worth it.  But a lighter rifle can also be important for patrol work.  Having lugged my heavy medium contoured gun through the woods on a foot chase/track, and held it pointed at a house for a while on a good B&E perimeter, I will be taking steps to lighten my rifle this year.

My advice: get a lighter gun, and then take it to the carbine course!
6/5/2011 12:31:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Does anyone know gas port sizes of the 10.5" 5.56 and the 14.5" 5.56 MRP barrels?
6/17/2011 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Well, I got my new LMT Sopmod stock in and put in a spikes heavy buffer. I was surprised at the tight tolerance of the LMT upper on my spikes lower, and didn't even need to bed the receivers. Going to buy a Geissele trigger come monday. Hopefully I can get a better picture! Stats on it so far:

-LMT MRP Rifle length upper w/ 18 ss barrel.
-Vortex flash hider
-Spikes lower
-LMT Sopmod stock
-Spikes heavy buffer
-WOTAC 4-14x50mm
-Larue SPR mount
-Harris bipod

Need to get:

-Geissele Trigger
-Ammo
-EOTech mount from Larue
-BUIS
-Picture to due my rifle justice

Need:

-Cash



I put off buying the MRP for so long and I'm kicking myself for not buying it sooner. I love the platform!

6/20/2011 3:35:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By buddyhoohaw:
Nice set...although your CQB could use a tax stamp and 10.5" barrel.

Cheers



Uhg, you're telling me.  Supposedly next year there may be a bill here in WA that would make SBRs legal.  Until that day, i'm stuck with 16"
6/20/2011 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#46]
no new pic? whats up with that????
6/25/2011 4:45:28 AM EDT
[#47]
almost done..... just need a better trigger  or a trigger.... this one was taken off my old lower and the only thing i have used on this rifle and i wanted to keep this one all new.....
thanks to  Jorge Avila at AR15.com store I got the lower and anti-tilt buffer tube, 45 degree Battle arms selector, and Billet ARFCOM lower (same as the magpul lower) and I love the flared out magwell and how there are some threaded parts to build the lower so no hammering roll pins in and just had to use two tools to put it together and mostly i built it by hand and was one of the easiest builds i have ever built..   my new rifle goes great with my new 1911....  






6/25/2011 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Very nice Aaron
Battle Arms Development
http://battlearmsdevelopment.com
For LE/MIL, and firefighter discount, please email me at:
[email protected]
6/25/2011 11:07:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Duffy:
Very nice Aaron


Thanks for making a great product that is not only fashionable  but 100% functional   i love that its such a shot selector to go from safe to Fire like that... makes it alot nicer to operate safely when doing team drills and with buddies....
thanks Battle Arms.....
Koji
6/27/2011 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#50]
DBMG is working on my mid gas 18" 6.5PCC (223 parent case wildcat) with a pinned Noveske switchblock as we speak.  Fortunately or unfortunately I will have pictures before I have dies to load for it or the 762-SDN-6 to test / make use of the switchblock.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

Previous Page
/ 146
Next Page

MRP Badness, chapter 3 (Page 11 of 146)

AR Sponsor