[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#2]
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 6:44:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Glitch
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 7:13:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GHOS7:

Right after the engraving they applied some type of fluid with a Q tip that turned the bare metal in the engraving recesses black. I have no clue what it was but it worked like magic.
View Quote
It was probably Birchwood Casey Alumablack.

Link
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 8:12:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MrKV] [#5]
Originally Posted By Hexxus:

It was probably Birchwood Casey Alumablack.

Link
View Quote
Yup.. I have a bottle of that stuff.

Straight magic.

ETA here's a lower I got back on Saturday from THSF

Literally had it for 2hrs and sent it back.

Link Posted: 6/17/2019 8:45:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 8:48:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MrKV] [#7]
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:

"Sent it back"?
View Quote
Yeah. Not sure what was confusing lol
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 8:53:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 8:55:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MrKV] [#9]

Why did you send it back to be more specific.  
View Quote
Oh lol.. No I meant they had it in their possession for 2hrs and already returned it back to me. Love their ridiculously fast turnaround. I'm in the next state over so crazy quick... First time using them, they have a permanent customer now.

ETA. Everything was perfect from their end, even with my OCD ways.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 8:57:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By thebomber:
Picked up a Razor HD Gen II E on the EE. The KAC mount I had in the parts bin is too low to see over my PEQ15A.

What mount and height do you recommend?
View Quote
Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 9:04:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 11:25:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Ah, tracking now. I thought you meant you sent it back, like there was an issue.

They are on my list to try out, lots of good reviews from various sources. I was hoping there wasn't a problem.  
View Quote
Recommend them 100%
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 12:48:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SecretSquirell] [#13]
I'm planning on getting mine laser engraved possibly this week if I can make it. Work out of town and have 1 day off.

The same company engraved a NFA lower for me. Right after the engraving they applied some type of clear fluid with a Q tip that turned the bare metal in the engraving recesses black. I have no clue what it was but it worked like magic.

I'll document it for you guys and take some good pics.., if I have time to visit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By simplefolk:
It is interesting that PSA left room for a logo on top of the M4A1 lower. What's the word on having the lower anodized again after engraving? I've never done that before. Is there a specific protocol that needs to be followed for the 2nd anodizing to be effective?

I realize rattle can solves the problem all together. Curious though...
I'm planning on getting mine laser engraved possibly this week if I can make it. Work out of town and have 1 day off.

The same company engraved a NFA lower for me. Right after the engraving they applied some type of clear fluid with a Q tip that turned the bare metal in the engraving recesses black. I have no clue what it was but it worked like magic.

I'll document it for you guys and take some good pics.., if I have time to visit.
Aluma-black

Edit: didnt realize there was another page.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 1:41:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Recce_Gear] [#14]
Originally Posted By thebomber:

Any recommendations?
View Quote
Larue LT-104 1.93 mount would be the most clone correct, or the 1.93 height version of the KAC mount you already have.  ADM, Midwest Industries and Geissele also make 1.93 height mounts.  I have used all of the ones I mentioned, except for the KAC and they are all good to go.  The G mount is tricky to level, so it would be my last choice.  The ADM and MI mounts are solid and cost about the same as the Larue.  I like the levers and locking system on the MI mounts a lot better than the ADM and Larue.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 3:06:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 4:02:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Rare boi

GL/SSC

Link Posted: 6/17/2019 4:21:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2Keylows] [#17]
Originally Posted By VeganCrossfitter:
Rare boi

GL/SSC

https://i.imgur.com/Ux8BHWc.jpg
View Quote
Sweet.
That SU has seen some things lol, it's almost in the white.

Eta: One day I'll find one of those rails
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 4:26:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 2Keylows:

Sweet.

View Quote
Still rock solid though unlike a gen 3 that broke on me.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 6:32:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 2Keylows:

Sweet.

Eta: One day I'll find one of those rails
View Quote
I think that one same rail keeps being passed around the Clone Circle, like the 5SFG Mod 0 PRI FSB/GB.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By stoner63a:
I think that one same rail keeps being passed around the Clone Circle, like the 5SFG Mod 0 PRI FSB/GB.
View Quote
This one was NIB, still in the wrap
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 6:41:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brodband8] [#21]
glitch
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Rare boi

GL/SSC

View Quote
All that and no lmt sopmod?
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 6:49:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By brodband8:

All that and no lmt sopmod?
View Quote
Don't worry, my 3-pin lower pending approval has the correct stock on it 😎
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 7:15:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Don't worry, my 3-pin lower pending approval has the correct stock on it 😎
View Quote
got me
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 7:55:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Recce_Gear:

Larue LT-104 1.93 mount would be the most clone correct, or the 1.93 height version of the KAC mount you already have.  ADM, Midwest Industries and Geissele also make 1.93 height mounts.  I have used all of the ones I mentioned, except for the KAC and they are all good to go.  The G mount is tricky to level, so it would be my last choice.  The ADM and MI mounts are solid and cost about the same as the Larue.  I like the levers and locking system on the MI mounts a lot better than the ADM and Larue.
View Quote
Thanks brother! Now I am in a heavy decision mode. If I mount my laser on the side I can use my KAC mount but it will fobar my heavily trained on ergos.

A buddy of mine says he can get me a good guy deal aka free on a MAWL. Are they clone correct?
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 8:37:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By MrKV:

Oh lol.. No I meant they had it in their possession for 2hrs and already returned it back to me. Love their ridiculously fast turnaround. I'm in the next state over so crazy quick... First time using them, they have a permanent customer now.

ETA. Everything was perfect from their end, even with my OCD ways.
View Quote
Almost all FFL engravers will do that so that they do not have to do the paperwork associated with taking possession of a "firearm" or "other" if it's a lower receiver.

Nothing but great things to say about Tarheel's services. They did 3 of my SBR engravings, and I will have another two to ship to them in 2-3 weeks once the F1 clears on another 2 Colt Lowers.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 9:10:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for all the feedback on the engraving - much appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:16:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Rare boi

GL/SSC

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 4:01:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: runguns] [#30]
What place do you guys recommend for assembling a block 2 upper? I need the fsb shaved down, barrel cut and re-profiled to 14.5” and pin and welded 4 prong.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 5:29:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#32]
Zeroed this upper with M885A1 and Mk262 printed just above it.  Functioned tested yesterday on semi/auto.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 8:46:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Knight's UNS on the M4A1

Link Posted: 6/19/2019 4:32:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_SBR] [#34]
Originally Posted By Great_Balls_of_Fire:
Knight's UNS on the M4A1

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48089873423_3e8df2aa31_o.jpg
View Quote
And somehow I have to follow that ^^^ Love your builds and your IG feed, MTxTwelve. You inspired me to put together a magnified optic Block II build. Just got my NX8 mounted in a Nightforce Unimount by Josh at Costa Defense. Super stoked about this rifle and delving into LPVOs.

Link Posted: 6/19/2019 6:06:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jrs93accord] [#35]
I am currently working on building a M4A1 Block II clone. I am finding very difficult to locate any FDE KAC flip-up sights. I am seeing Block IIs with black and FDE sights. Am I to assume that either is acceptable for a Block II clone? Also, I am curious as to sling mounts. I have seen where the rail-mounted CQD is used for the front. I have seen some guys use the CQD endplate for the rear and some just use the slots on the stock. I have a Gen 1 B5 Systems Enhanced SOPMOD (Coyote Brown) that I am using. Is it personal preference to use the CQD endplate or use the slots in the stock? I plan on using Vickers Blue Force 2-pt. sling.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By jrs93accord:
I am currently working on building a M4A1 Block II clone. I am finding very difficult to locate any FDE KAC flip-up sights. I am seeing Block IIs with black and FDE sights. Am I to assume that either is acceptable for a Block II clone? Also, I am curious as to sling mounts. I have seen where the rail-mounted CQD is used for the front. I have seen some guys use the CQD endplate for the rear and some just use the slots on the stock. I have a Gen 1 B5 Systems Enhanced SOPMOD (Coyote Brown) that I am using. Is it personal preference to use the CQD endplate or use the slots in the stock? I plan on using Vickers Blue Force 2-pt. sling.
View Quote
I'm no where near an expert but personal choice seems to be a common thing with these builds. The SF guys and similar who use these things are given a lot of latitude to configure stuff as they please. Lots of personal optics, slings, grips etc. so I think any direction you go will work. The CQD mounts are issued but not always used I believe.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 8:37:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Flyit14:

I'm no where near an expert but personal choice seems to be a common thing with these builds. The SF guys and similar who use these things are given a lot of latitude to configure stuff as they please. Lots of personal optics, slings, grips etc. so I think any direction you go will work. The CQD mounts are issued but not always used I believe.
View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 8:40:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Recce_Gear] [#38]
View Quote
These two little gems are also issued and what I run on my Block II, which mirrors the one I was issued a few years back.  Also note that they include the QD swivel.  My go to for KAC products is Operation Parts:  https://www.operationparts.com/brands/Knight

Front Sling Attachment

Gen 1 Stock Adapter
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 12:16:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Colt 14.5 socom
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 8:02:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Great_Balls_of_Fire] [#40]
Originally Posted By AZ_SBR:

And somehow I have to follow that ^^^ Love your builds and your IG feed, MTxTwelve. You inspired me to put together a magnified optic Block II build. Just got my NX8 mounted in a Nightforce Unimount by Josh at Costa Defense. Super stoked about this rifle and delving into LPVOs.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48094179946_c4b5dc8004_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48095202547_2e1dfdddfa_c.jpg
View Quote
Ha! Much appreciated. Glad somebody out there likes that stuff and it looks like you're headed the right direction
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 11:36:24 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Great_Balls_of_Fire:
Knight's UNS on the M4A1

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48089873423_3e8df2aa31_o.jpg

Its funny how much of us are on IG and follow each other.  I just wish when I saw some one on IG, i knew their arfcom handle I think I am going to start putting mine in the hashtags.  Nice Stick BTW... I do try to do specific content for each.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:54:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#42]
View Quote
KAC folding front sight either black or taupe
KAC rear BUIS have always been black
Besides the CQD sling mount, KAC QD sling mount is issued.  CQD only initial issue.
Don't see many CQD endplates as standard end plate for M4A1 is used 98% of the time.  Personal preference for rigging sling.

CD
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 2:48:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

KAC folding front sight either black or taupe
KAC rear BUIS have always been black
Besides the CQD sling mount, KAC QD sling mount is issued.  CQD only initial issue.
Don't see many CQD endplates as standard end plate for M4A1 is used 98% of the time.  Personal preference for rigging sling.

CD
View Quote
Thanks CD. I have given thought to the KAC QD sling mount as was recommended in an earlier post.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Anyone know a current source for KAC Part No. 98722 - QD Sling mount?
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 9:27:04 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote
https://shop.knightarmco.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=KM98722

Link Posted: 6/20/2019 11:04:51 PM EDT
[#46]

https://shop.knightarmco.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=KM98722

https://i.imgur.com/8zEWU8t.jpg
View Quote
Is that an Eotech 511 with a sight hood from a newer Eotech?
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 11:19:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 6:58:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Alaskanforfreedom:
Is that an Eotech 511 with a sight hood from a newer Eotech?
View Quote
Yes, I plan on painting it all black though
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote
If you sign up for an instock notification at Operation Parts you will have good luck. They are a top tier KAC dealer and get shipments frequently on a lot of the more common items.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 11:33:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mygrainman] [#50]
They say that an addict get his biggest high just before he partakes...
Well My name is Mygrainman and I’m an ARFaholic...
I just wanna look at this stuff for a while... maybe put it together in a bit.
I thought the many block1’s that I’ve built and passed on over the last couple years would do it for me.  but knowing there was a block 2 out there made them seem superfluous...
I thought I could break free of that OCD impulse, and go with an all black Block2... a “Black2” if you will...  I picked up an LMT 14.5” upper with a black RIS2 in a trade last weekend...
It is undeniably cool... but knowing there was no NSN #  on It and there were no colt parts just drove me crazy.. thank God I found a  FDE RIS2 on the EE for $200 a few days ago... just got here yesterday.  I happened to have a Colt Cerro and all the other goods on deck, and I just got home from meeting my dealer and picked up a few more SOCOM barrels... sucks you can only cut open that foil bag once!

As for the “Black2” upper... I found a Tan 533 SU231/PEQ locally and worked out a trade...
It is going to a good home where it won’t have to play second fiddle or feel less legitimate in the safe....
Now I just need a SF600 and I’m all set! I’ll hold off on a PEQ box until I get NODs and actually need one. Horse before cart and all that.

Only liberties my OCD will allow..
-I’m going BE Meyers 249 ASR since a)I have a SiCo Can and it’s the closest thing I can find to allow me to run it...
and b)I couldn’t bring myself to P/W a SF 4prong even if I had the 3-4benjis to buy one.
-I’m putting a tanadized colt RE on cause  it’ll look cool opposite the FDE RIS... I like the B5’s QDs, but I’m switching to a Gen1 LMT to offset and help me rationalize.
-Geissele Maritime BC cause I love them...
Page / 908
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top