Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2020 4:20:58 PM EDT
I have a can of Lubriplate grease that calls me when I walk in...."Bronc use me....", it is creepy I know.

What do you think about Lubriplate as a gun grease, I currently use Slip 2000 grease and Wilson Combat.  I use the old rule of thumb, if it slides, grease, if it turns oil

Interesting thing, I have some of the old WC grease in a syringe and it looks just like Lubriplate, but I think I read some where many years back WC grease is made by a speciality manufacturer and the name is escaping me, but it is a grease company we all heard of.

Thanks,

Link Posted: 5/7/2020 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a gun, not the space shuttle - don't overthink it.

For most users under most reasonable conditions, just about anything will work.

I wouldn't use random ol' grease on the Antarctic expedition to kill The Thing, but it'll work fine on my Glock, my HK, or my ARs to send a few hundred rounds downrange at a spring 3-gun match.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 4:49:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I ended up with with a few cans of Lubriplate SFL0 & 1when a food equipment mechanic I knew got out of the business.

It is a very good grease and fine for guns but like others have said, don’t overthink it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I like it for pistol slides
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 5:22:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I use Mobil 1 10W30 and Red sticky Lucus grease
now.  Also just found some Fiendoil it has Devil on the can.  It was used in the 1950s 60 to lube bikes
and firearms per the Internet info. I bought it
locally at a hardware store.  This oil is a new remake
of the old oil.  So far it seems like decent oil.  It is
light oil a little heavier than CLP.  I'll use it and see how it works.  I'll put it on my Glock 21 and shoot
it for a while.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 10:46:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I tried both sfl0 and 1. Cant really say it’s better or worse than any other grease.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 5:58:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the feedback....not really overthinking, as the lubrication requirements of a firearm is very low on the severity scale compared to engines and high speed machinery....

I just have the Lubriplate laying around and want to use it for something.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 11:24:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Problem is a can of grease can last you for many, many years. Just to give you an idea, back in early 2000 I bought 2 gallons of Breakfree and a can of grease. That combination lasted me until about 2013-14 when I realized they did not make Breakfree like they used it and it got me on the hunt for new combination. I ultimately settled on Tetra grease and their CLP along with the Boretech stuff for barrel cleaning and carbon cleaning. I bought all that around 2017-18 and I still haven't opened my jar of Tetra grease. The original 1oz squeeze tube of Tetra lasted me for nearly a year and a half. I just opened my second tube of Tetra earlier this year. The jar I have is sitting around unopened.

So with that in mind, you only need to put a dab of grease on the slides and rails of firearms. A jar of Lubriplate could in theory last you decades, perhaps lifetime depending on how many firearms you have. If you have just a pistol and a rifle, expect it to last your entire life. Your kids probably be going through your stuff like hey look at this old jar of grease and probably be putting it on your firearms long after you're in the ground.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 12:17:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Not sure how much this stuff degrades with time. My Lubtriplate tube is way past the expiration date. Still have over 90% left. I think the expiration relates to the anti microbial properties rather than the lubrication properties. The grease has turned a sl yellow with time but still works. As with everyone else on this site I have way more different kinds of gun lubes  and oils than I know what to do with.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 1:04:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dntama:
Not sure how much this stuff degrades with time. My Lubtriplate tube is way past the expiration date. Still have over 90% left. I think the expiration relates to the anti microbial properties rather than the lubrication properties. The grease has turned a sl yellow with time but still works. As with everyone else on this site I have way more different kinds of gun lubes  and oils than I know what to do with.
View Quote

It really depends on how you use it. I recall my friend having some of the lubriplate grease where you have to pop the cap off with a screw driver then hammer it back on. I imagine as you dip dirty items into the can it will degrade it over time.

Best practice is to use a dip can and transfer the grease over as you need it and use the dip can as needed. That way you don't put it to waste with accidental contamination. That or always put clean items in it. Such as using a clean q-tip and closing it immediately after.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:06:25 PM EDT
[#10]
1. Which Lubriplate grease? They make multiple greases and they are not all the same.
2. Isn't their gun grease (they do make one they market as a gun grease) the same as was used on the M1 Garand?
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 10:26:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I have various types of grease from an industrial work place, including lubriplate that is lithium based, non-food grade ( type 630-AA). It’s a soft grease not for high pressure applications, but great for gliding surfaces like rifle bolts and slides. I found the easiest way to despense the grease without contaminating the whole is with what is called dental irrigation syringes, 12cc. Can be filled via a standard grease gun nozzle with no air gaps when done. And is good for precise application.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 11:40:24 PM EDT
[#12]
1. Which Lubriplate grease? They make multiple greases and they are not all the same.
2. Isn't their gun grease (they do make one they market as a gun grease) the same as was used on the M1 Garand?

Without going into the shop tonight, I want to say it is 131A, but not 100% sure.  

I do know it is old, the can is old, maybe 20+ years old, very little separation between the base and the lube, it is now semi tan in color, not white any more.

Link Posted: 7/28/2020 11:51:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's a gun, not the space shuttle - don't overthink it.
View Quote

Interesting you say that...I supply NASA contractors 130A grease for use on the equipment that moves the launch vehicles onto the platform...
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 7:49:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes. In use since WW2
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 9:15:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Corrected my reply above

It is 130A and the picture below shows the color it is, can’t remember the original  color.    It it is next to a white towel for comparison

Link Posted: 7/29/2020 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Corrected my reply above

It is 130A and the picture below shows the color it is, can't remember the original  color.    It it is next to a white towel for comparison

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/16476/5E7CCB65-F957-45A3-9A80-AFEA9C69F9D4-1524292.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/16476/8C4217FC-A2E3-4825-B201-BDC7A4042BD7-1524293.jpg

View Quote
Thats the mil spec M1 garand grease, the color and consistency look as it should. Should be fine for sliding surfaces. It has a good consistency, gut is also an old calcium based grease so it has a lower melting point that helps it run in as it gets hot.  I'd use it, modern firearms are not too picky, just dont glob on too much when it comes to grease.  Also watch it in colder temps, it might stiffen up enough to lock up small parts.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 9:50:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Lubriplate and plastilube were used on the M1, M1 Carbine, and M14. The grease tube holds the sling in the M1 Carbine butt stock.

It works great in the AR bolt carrier cam pin track.  If you use it on your buffer spring it helps cut down on the "Boing."
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 12:18:22 PM EDT
[#18]
You know what I am going to do, I am going to stop buying the Slip 2000 at $12 an ounce (that's $200 per LB) and start using this stuff

Thanks for reviving an old thread and question

If it is good for y'all, it is good for me

Bronc
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 8:34:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Not lubriplate brand, but local O’Reilly auto parts has white lithium grease on clearance for $1.37 per 1 pound can. Couldn’t pass it up.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 11:31:52 PM EDT
[#20]
You should try SuperLube
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 9:03:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You should try SuperLube
View Quote

That is the name I could not remember....I used to see it in Walmart, but no longer

Link Posted: 7/31/2020 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That is the name I could not remember....I used to see it in Walmart, but no longer

View Quote

No clue why. I mix it with WS2 and HbN to improve lubricity, stickiness, corrosion/heat resistance. Works pretty well.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top