Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2018 10:00:25 AM EDT
Will a lower magwell block support work for this task? Am I safe to torque a castle nut supporting the lower this way? If not what do I need.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:14:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think I have ever "torqued" a castle nut, just snugged it with hand pressure. I haven't had any come loose. I hold the lower in my hand and tighten the nut with the wrench.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think I have ever "torqued" a castle nut, just snugged it with hand pressure. I haven't had any come loose. I hold the lower in my hand and tighten the nut with the wrench.
View Quote
I've taken off a couple that brought me to the brink of my existence. I swear they tighten to 1million ftlbs at factory
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:29:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Spec is said to be 40 ft lbs.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:33:24 AM EDT
[#4]
If you just want to have the tool, there is the Geissele Reaction-Block and who doesn't want more tools?
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:38:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Just hold it between your knees. Seriously.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:48:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you just want to have the tool, there is the Geissele Reaction-Block and who doesn't want more tools?
View Quote
Damn.  That tool should come with a complimentary blow job.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:12:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Guess it's not that important.   I'll make some blocks of wood or use the magwell block.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:42:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Guess it's not that important.   I'll make some blocks of wood or use the magwell block.
View Quote
My last one I took apart to cerekote. put a mag in the magwell, put a 2x4 down and a rag on top, parked on top of the rifle w/ my jeep. Then just step on the wrench.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#9]
No... Quality magwell vice blocks themselves can handle it, but they do not support the lower good enough for removing or installing receiver extensions and castle nuts when using the correct torque specs... You could end up damaging the lower.

It's best to clamp the lower in the vise between a set of rubber faced vise jaws in the trigger well selector area, just above the grip. These are the ones that I use. > Link.

The rubber face vise jaws work well, but I make sure to tape off the rubber surface every time I use them because the rubber will leave smudge marks on the receiver that can be a pain to clean off.

The Geissele Reaction Block is okay too. You just need to insert a magwell vise block into the lower and have someone hold on to it to keep the lower in alignment so that the lower doesn't move in the direction of torque and end up canted in relation to your receiver extension.

If someone would just make a jig similar to the one that Colt uses for carbine receiver extensions that would be great. It would probably cost around $500.00 but I would buy one.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:54:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I bought one of those Geissele reaction blocks, and it is really a great way to do it correct. And I am a tool "junkie" as well. Though there are many other cheaper redneck ways to do it as described above, but I would not do it using a lower vice block the way the OP described.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#11]
See the TM.
I clamp the lower in a padded vise not with a magwell block.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I used a wheeler upper vise block.  If you use a magwell block you're going to be placing majority of the stress on your takedown and pivot lugs.  That or clamp the upper between some wood blocks.  should do the same thing if you aren't willing to spend the 30 odd dollars.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
See the TM.
I clamp the lower in a padded vise not with a magwell block.
View Quote
+1

Remove grip and clamp on the grips interface point on receiver. I use a piece of leather for padding.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:55:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I guess I am a hack. I hit it with a screwdriver @ 90° with 3 lb hammer soft swing. Long time ago.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:39:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes, well know common commercially built items that have been used and suggested for years do work for what they are intended to do...
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:05:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.  Then, simply use a punch to stake the castle nut and be done with it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 10:04:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I used a wheeler upper vise block.  If you use a magwell block you're going to be placing majority of the stress on your takedown and pivot lugs.  That or clamp the upper between some wood blocks.  should do the same thing if you aren't willing to spend the 30 odd dollars.
View Quote
I really don't see any of this working for tightening the castle nut.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 10:36:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Castle nut, not barrel nut.

OP, I’ve used a mag well block almost exclusively for castle nuts over the years.  I’ve never precisely measured torque out to 40 ft lbs, but I get them nice and tight using a dedicated wrench, then dual stake.  Never had a problem with one working loose nor have I had a problem with damaging anything using the mag block for this purpose.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm kind of surprised nobody has put one of these on the market.  But rather than wait, I prefer to roll my own.

Attachment Attached File

It's UHMW which is ultra slick and non-marring.  Originally I planned to deck the top enough to operate a charging handle, but if I ever need to it will only take a minute to open it up.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Making tools is almost as much fun as using them.  DIY FSB block, auto punch modded for roll pins, tapered pins for FCG install, guide block for those tiny set screws for the rear take down mod, a pin like the clevis trick for the front pivot pin install and lower fixtures for milling 80%'ers.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#20]
That's BRILLIANT!

Larry
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 2:06:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm kind of surprised nobody has put one of these on the market.  But rather than wait, I prefer to roll my own.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/89127/41658_jpeg-788312.JPG

It's UHMW which is ultra slick and non-marring.  Originally I planned to deck the top enough to operate a charging handle, but if I ever need to it will only take a minute to open it up.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/89127/41655_jpeg-788316.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/89127/41653_jpeg-788317.JPG
View Quote
Might you be interested in selling one of those?
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:29:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not really worth the time as all I have are manual machines, but...   seriously, anyone could make it one out of wood rather easily.  3d printing would be a good option.  I'll run it by my buddy with a decent printer.  He is working on an FSB block for me already.  Come to think of it, I should just buy a 3d printer.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
@M90A1 might you be interested in testing a prototype?

@DaveP1
@PursuitSS
@Alpharomeofifteen
@K1rodeoboater

If any of you 5 are interested in testing one, let me know.  I feel like I'm forgetting a "regular".

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

@M90A1 might you be interested in testing a prototype?

@DaveP1
@PursuitSS
@Alpharomeofifteen
@K1rodeoboater

If any of you 5 are interested in testing one, let me know.  I feel like I'm forgetting a "regular".

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/89127/44961_jpeg-829354.JPG
View Quote
Sure, I would be happy to test one out an offer and honest review on it, looks like it could be something that is really needed and would be a benefit to the AR community.

Do you still have my mailing information?
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 2:46:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Love to.
I'll PM you my info.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 7:10:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Appreciate the offer but I gotta decline. Im still in a state of "moving" and likely will be for several months.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm about to build out a few lowers. Would test one out and report back if you have a spare.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 5:58:38 PM EDT
[#30]
The mag well can’t handle 40ft. Ibs?
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yup
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 9:39:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Sorry for the late reply, but I'd love to test one. This just might be the answer to tightening the castle nut to a polymer lower without damaging anything. The polymer lowers do have more flex than the aluminum versions.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 1:32:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Sorry for the late reply, but I'd love to test one. This just might be the answer to tightening the castle nut to a polymer lower without damaging anything. The polymer lowers do have more flex than the aluminum versions.
View Quote
Would probably take a different design for the poly lowers.  They are quite different from forged.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 1:39:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yup
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yup
For one or two, or even one or two a year, I agree.  But I enjoy working on stuff.  The right tools make working on stuff a lot more enjoyable.  Pretty sure I have at least ten magwell blocks.  Hell, I have 3 vices that don't get used for anything but magwell blocks.

A lot of things in life are "not necessary" yet we keep striving to accumulate more.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top