Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/19/2024 9:01:43 PM EDT
I purchased a 1.5-4.5x24 Weaver Extreme Japan mfg. scope with German #4 twilight iluminated reticle recently.
It is more hunting scope than the do it all close to true 1x (Steiner P4xi) I was looking for.

The Weaver's price was right and it is growing on me. The glass is crisp, the reticle fast on target, very well
built and 15.6oz. At indoor distances 1.5x is doable but not optimal.

Reading a SHTF optics thread someone mentioned that with practice and good fundamentals you should be able to hit a
target within 7 yards holding over the LPVO as reference. So stop crying about not having the most truest 1x- out there.

I do not want to add offset sights or pistol dot for short range. I was thinking of one of those magnetic or stick on levels
but with Photoluminescent paint. Something you could attach to the top turret cap aligned with barrel for aiming
reference.

Does anyone make such a thing?
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 9:18:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Just turn on the illumination and open both eyes.  I was doing CQB drills with a 5x prism this fall.  It has a piggyback RDS but for shits I just went with the green lumes on the prism and wasn't that much slower.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 9:58:17 PM EDT
[#2]
It all depends on if you are going to expect hostage shot accuracy and how much time you want to dedicate.

You could cant and aim the space between your top and side rails. Because of cheek weld index, I'd expect that to have better consistency than chenweld over the top of the scope.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 11:14:08 PM EDT
[#3]
The illumination helps as well as moving square with the barrel and minimizing sweeping the barrel just with shoulders.

I am new to AR's ~ 5 yrs. I want two rifles where each could serve as a do it all general purpose. Got the the in close and out
figured out with red dot, magnifier, and back up irons.

The second medium range and in close is in the works. Budget is always a concern. A Weaver 1-3x20 served it's purpose
for a while, but the eye box is tight and unforgiving of movement. Was on the prowl for a used P4xi. Should have stuck to
original plan.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 11:44:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It all depends on if you are going to expect hostage shot accuracy and how much time you want to dedicate.

You could cant and aim the space between your top and side rails. Because of cheek weld index, I'd expect that to have better consistency than chenweld over the top of the scope.
View Quote

Sound advice. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 12:05:03 AM EDT
[#5]
You need sights at 7 yards??????
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 1:12:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You need sights at 7 yards??????
View Quote

Proper shooting fundamentals go a long way - got it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 2:24:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Proper shooting fundamentals go a long way - got it.
View Quote

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top