Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2018 11:26:28 PM EDT
Do the cheap harbor freight hand held routers work well enough?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:35:46 PM EDT
[#1]
There are some things one can "cheap out" on.  For this task, I would not.

Trash just one lower and add that to the HF router and you are at the price of a good router.

I have a DEWALT DWP611PK... and it was worth the money for the result I have had.

...and if you are just going to do a couple... sell the DeWalt on ebay.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:46:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Trash just one lower and add that to the HF router and you are at the price of a good router.

I have a DEWALT DWP611PK... and it was worth the money for the result I have had.

View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:55:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
thats the one i use too and have done a lot of lowers with it
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:14:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Dewalt it is then.

Man I really need a mini mill
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:56:04 AM EDT
[#5]
HF routers are one thing I won't buy from them, I tried both their full size and trim models when I was building cabinets and the run out on them is just to much.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 4:31:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:48:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Not sure about what its like where you live, but the free online classifieds in my area usually have a good number of Dewalt routers for sale. Most of em lightly used and priced to sell.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:17:32 PM EDT
[#8]
The HF routers work if you take your time.  If you try to hog out lots of material the flimsy collet will let the bit slip and your cut will get progressively deeper.  Take your time, take it easy and they can do a nice job and I prefer tool steel bits over carbide.  Use transmission fluid for cutting fluid, clear the chips frequently and check your depth of cut every time.  Keep your receipt - if you burn one up (you're pushing it too hard) you can take it back and get another one.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Factory reconditoned DEWALT $99.

Give them your email address and use the code to get free shipping on your first order.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:05:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I guess the question that needs to be asked, what jig are you going to be using? (It can matter)
View Quote
I've been looking at the 80% arms jig.  Open to others though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:18:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Dewalt it is then.

Man I really need a mini mill
View Quote
I have a mini-mill and have done two "projects"... very long process with results that work well but a bit on the ugly side.

I considered selling a kidney and get a Ghost Gunner 2.  I am very pleased with the 5D Pro!
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:45:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I can do an 80% lower on my mini mill in about an hour and a half and you can't tell I did it, the FCG pocket looks as smooth as anything the factories put out, I also own a 80% arms jig, a 5D jig and a Modulus Jig, I have used all three of them with my mini mill and they work well, now that I have my DRO's set up, I don't even have to use a jig, but I might pick up a new router and start doing them that way.

I started out with the mill, but I also use it for a lot of other projects I work on, it is indispensable for doing reproduction parts on antique boats that I restore.

That said, if you are only going to do a couple of lowers and nothing else, then a mini mill is to expensive by time you buy the mill, the tooling, vises, hold downs and other stuff you need.  Tooling it what really kills ya on price collet's and mill bits are expensive.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 8:31:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My .02, go with the 5D Tactical PRO Jig and don’t look back.

I’ve tried way too many jigs over the last couple of years and the 5D Tactical PRO jig blows all the other ones away!

And the DeWalt DWP611 is a GREAT choice for finishing lowers using the 5D Tactical Jig.
View Quote
What about the 5D Tactical Pro is so great?

I plan to do maybe five or so lowers.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:36:03 PM EDT
[#16]
another vote for the dewalt. it makes it easier having a solid smooth tool behind the cutting bit
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 11:35:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:12:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Also have the 5d Tactical pro, with the Makita RT0701C router.  Very happy with the results.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 10:09:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Instead of covering the information over again, I’m posting a link to my review of the 5D Tactical PRO Jig. One thing to keep in mind is the Jig has value AFTER you’re done with it so you could resell it.

LINK
View Quote
I'd probably hang on to it.  Seems like far to useful a thing to have around to just let go of.  I might have sons some day and I'll want to have some father son lower milling time
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 4:24:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Every since 5D Tactical came out with their PRO jig, my Mini Mill has sat idle.
View Quote
Nevermind I just saw your review.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 7:11:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'd probably hang on to it.  Seems like far to useful a thing to have around to just let go of.  I might have sons some day and I'll want to have some father son lower milling time
View Quote
It’s Milling time.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 12:16:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Not a Bosch Colt.  Great trim router for woodworking but for this task it falls short. The dewalt and porter cable models have better collets
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Also have the 5d Tactical pro, with the Makita RT0701C router.  Very happy with the results.
View Quote
I have the Modulus HD and the same Makita router.  The router works fine, the only thing that would be nice is if it had a light.  At the time I couldn't find a DeWalt or Rigid in stock anywhere.  If you can get a Makita at a good price it will get the job done.
 I've done quite a few with mine w/o issues.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I picked up the Dewalt for around $70 used on Ebay you just have to keep an eye out.  It wasn't the prettiest one either, so that probably helped.  There are a couple other routers in the $70ish new price range that seemed to get decent reviews but I figured I'd just get the Dewalt when I found a good deal and it didn't take long to find one.  I think they sell pretty frequently for $80-90 some on Ebay used.

I wouldn't get too excited about the light either, I don't see where it helps much.  Not saying it isn't somewhat helpful but it doesn't put much light into the receiver after you hook up the jig guide to it and sit it down on top of the receiver.  It is far far more useful to pick up a $10 or however much light that goes around your head and you can use it hands free and have it shining right where you want it to see what you are doing.  And to be honest you really don't need to see what you are doing inside the receiver, you go mostly off feel until you are done with that pass and then you pull the router out and if you missed something you can go back and get it.  There are so many chips in the way it'd be hard to see if you missed a small piece anyways until you pull the router up.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 9:52:28 AM EDT
[#25]
I just happened to check a few minutes ago, and Amazon has the DWP611 on sale for $99 today:

DEWALT DWP611 1.25 HP Max Torque Variable Speed Compact Router with Dual LEDs

I had a bunch of Amazon rewards points from my credit card and got it for $42 shipped. Pretty awesome deal!
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 11:02:27 AM EDT
[#26]
WOW.    Thanks for the tip.   Bought it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 12:53:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I just happened to check a few minutes ago, and Amazon has the DWP611 on sale for $99 today:

DEWALT DWP611 1.25 HP Max Torque Variable Speed Compact Router with Dual LEDs

I had a bunch of Amazon rewards points from my credit card and got it for $42 shipped. Pretty awesome deal!
View Quote
PursuitSS,

Looks like your DeWalt DWP611 is an older model compared to the one Amazon has on sale now. Do you know if the build quality
will be the same? I'm just researching doing this and found your 5D-tactical thread a godsend of info!
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 3:12:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 10:21:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I don’t think Dewalt change anything.  The DWP611 is still listed on the Dewalt website as being the only compact router.   If you are looking at the DWP611PK, that’s an add on kit.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:38:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don’t think Dewalt change anything.  The DWP611 is still listed on the Dewalt website as being the only compact router.   If you are looking at the DWP611PK, that’s an add on kit.
View Quote
Your right, I didn't notice the router wasn't actually shown in PursuitSS's link. Just the base section
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Don’t mean to hijack the thread, but there seems to be some knowledge in here.

Would this rigid Palm router work?

Rigid (r2401)
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#32]
The only jig I've read about is the 5d Tactical one. They list it works with the Rigid R24012, if yours
has the same capabilities it would work. Someone that knows more than me will come along ...

Eta- Have you picked out a jig yet? 5d tactical's router guide link below has their reviews of
multiple routers.

https://info.5dtactical.com/2016/08/03/router-guide-for-finishing-80-lower-receivers/
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 12:52:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The only jig I've read about is the 5d Tactical one. They list it works with the Rigid R24012, if yours
has the same capabilities it would work. Someone that knows more than me will come along ...

Eta- Have you picked out a jig yet? 5d tactical's router guide link below has their reviews of
multiple routers.

https://info.5dtactical.com/2016/08/03/router-guide-for-finishing-80-lower-receivers/
View Quote
That list is exactly what I needed to see, it’s on there, and should work,  thank you.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That list is exactly what I needed to see, it’s on there, and should work,  thank you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

multiple routers.

Np, your welcome.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#35]
anyone know if the 5d jig and 80% will be DIAS or LL compatible?  Deep pocket?  Low shelf?
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:49:52 PM EDT
[#36]
As noted above, the DWP611 has been on sale at Amazon for the last few days at $99 and is a smokin' price for a top-rated router.  Now is the time if you've been on the fence.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:55:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top