Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2020 12:02:43 PM EDT
I have a complete M4-style lower receiver lying around that has no upper. To correct this, I'm thinking of spending my coronavirus bucks on a 12.7x42 complete upper, a.k.a. .50 Beowulf. This will just be a range toy, I don't intend to use it for SHTF or hunting etc. Mostly I want a big-bore AR-15 and the silly bragging rights to say I have a .50 caliber rifle.

I found this complete upper receiver. I think Bear Creek Arsenal is the OEM. It's pretty cheap. Any thoughts on this, or other options I should consider? Again, I'm just looking for a cheap range toy that probably won't get a lot of use. If I needed to bet my life on it, I'd spend a lot more and get an Alexander Arms.

From Midway (AR-Stoner brand): https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020940873?pid=861497
From BCA, looks identical, but a lot cheaper and out-of-stock: https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/bca-ar-15-complete-upper-16-4150-parkerized-heavy-barrel-12-7-x-42-caliber-50-cal-carbine-length-gas-system-1-20-twist-w-15-mlok-rail
From KM Tactical, looks identical: https://kmtactical.net/product/16-inch-12-7x42-complete-mlok-upper
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#1]
AA is another source. They've made the 50 bw for a long time. http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Uppers-_50_Beowulf_12_-_Complete_Upper_Assembly.html

After shooting a pistol version from the guy next to me at the range I looked into it, but never went further than that. Its deafening with a tank brake in a concrete floor/steel ceiling shooting bay.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I’d personally skip any BCA big bore. Satern and Liberty make barrels, and made them for AA years ago
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 7:09:56 PM EDT
[#3]
One of the regulars at my range had one of the bear creek deals, it wouldn't run, constant ftf and fte. Don't know if he ever got it running, he hasn't had it with him for a while. I'd go aa or someone else reputable before bca.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I currently have an AA 16” Beowulf and haven’t had one problem.  I bought the upper only kit version that comes disassembled without a handguard and brake.  

I’m waiting for the BCA 12.7x42 10.5 version to come back into stock.   So far the best deal was $188 or so shipped.  Figured if it doesn’t work very well I can shove Liberty 7.5 on it.  ?????
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:54:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd contact Craddock Precision. They did a few for me and they are awesome.

In fact. Here is a link to me running it FA.

Full Auto .50 Beowulf 9.75" Barrel Short Barrel Rifle
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I've read more than one post over the years about various uppers that won't function properly, especially Bear Creek. I went with, and recommend, an upper from AA.

I use mine specifically for hogs here in Florida, actually killed a pair yesterday. I load my own 334gr Plated HP's. They hit hard.

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd contact Craddock Precision. They did a few for me and they are awesome.

In fact. Here is a link to me running it FA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soofKoxykWQ
View Quote

That's bad-ass...
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 3:08:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info. Sounds like you guys aren't too keen about cheap uppers like the BCA. AA is way out of my budget for now, so I'm leaning towards not getting a .50 Beowulf after all and looking for something different for a new range toy.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:21:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I was interested in a .50 Beowulf as well as a fun gun, everyone could use a sledgehammer after all! But the ammunition prices are silly.  

So instead of .50 Beowulf’s 400 gr @ 1,800 FPS at $2.30 / round, I settled for 430 gr @ 1,760 FPS at $1.07 per round... and its 73 caliber which is 23 calibers better than 50!

Of course it involves going to the dark side and buying an AK platform: Lynx 12 ;)
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 11:10:06 AM EDT
[#10]
You want a rifle because it's the biggest caliber you can get and bragging rights, yet you want to spend so little money that it is almost sure to be a constant fight to make it operate properly?  Smart.  That will be real impressive to your range buddies when you pull out a rifle, brag about its bore size, then not be able to get through one magazine full without a hiccup.  Better start compiling your excuses list for malfunctions.

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.  If you are going to the .50 B, get quality.  I don't know who makes quality .50 B since TROMIX has stopped making them, but I can assure you it's not BCA or Stoner or Radical.

If you are open to another big bore that will function correctly, has a HUGE range of bullets available if you reload and a pretty darned big selection even if you don't, check out TROMIX and the .458 SOCOM.  He and Teppo Jutsu are the ones who originally developed the .458 SOCOM back in 2000 and Tony of TROMIX was likely the first to develop big bore calibers for the AR, long before the .458 S and .50 B came out in 2000 or so.  You buy a barrel and bolt, or complete upper from TROMIX and it will work out of the box.  And if you want to impress your friends, load a 5.56 in the magazine, insert the magazine, point the muzzle down and drop the bolt.  Watch the entire 5.56 round come popping out of the muzzle of the .458 SOCOM.  That will make 'em laugh and if it doesn't, your friends are broken.

Another .458 complete upper that is made correctly is from Rock River Arms.  The only problem with their stuff is lack of selection, but if you like what they have, they are good to go.  Other companies like SBR and SSK also make properly built .458 SOCOMs but the wait is long and the price is much higher, yet the quality is not really any better than you get with a TROMIX.  Look around, you will find more people satisfied with TROMIX .458 SOCOMs than all others combined, at any price.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 4:16:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Big-Bore:
You want a rifle because it's the biggest caliber you can get and bragging rights, yet you want to spend so little money that it is almost sure to be a constant fight to make it operate properly?  Smart.  That will be real impressive to your range buddies when you pull out a rifle, brag about its bore size, then not be able to get through one magazine full without a hiccup.  Better start compiling your excuses list for malfunctions.

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.  If you are going to the .50 B, get quality.  I don't know who makes quality .50 B since TROMIX has stopped making them, but I can assure you it's not BCA or Stoner or Radical.

If you are open to another big bore that will function correctly, has a HUGE range of bullets available if you reload and a pretty darned big selection even if you don't, check out TROMIX and the .458 SOCOM.  He and Teppo Jutsu are the ones who originally developed the .458 SOCOM back in 2000 and Tony of TROMIX was likely the first to develop big bore calibers for the AR, long before the .458 S and .50 B came out in 2000 or so.  You buy a barrel and bolt, or complete upper from TROMIX and it will work out of the box.  And if you want to impress your friends, load a 5.56 in the magazine, insert the magazine, point the muzzle down and drop the bolt.  Watch the entire 5.56 round come popping out of the muzzle of the .458 SOCOM.  That will make 'em laugh and if it doesn't, your friends are broken.

Another .458 complete upper that is made correctly is from Rock River Arms.  The only problem with their stuff is lack of selection, but if you like what they have, they are good to go.  Other companies like SBR and SSK also make properly built .458 SOCOMs but the wait is long and the price is much higher, yet the quality is not really any better than you get with a TROMIX.  Look around, you will find more people satisfied with TROMIX .458 SOCOMs than all others combined, at any price.
View Quote

I too have a .458 Tomix and it run well.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 2:00:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I had an A.A. arms 50 beowulf and had to send it back for a bad chamber. the customer service was terrible , but I did eventually get a proper barrel . I sold it . I do have a rock river arms 458 socom which I have owned for 12 years and never had an issue . If I were to buy another I would not even consider anything else but tromix .
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Big-Bore:
You want a rifle because it's the biggest caliber you can get and bragging rights, yet you want to spend so little money that it is almost sure to be a constant fight to make it operate properly?  Smart.  That will be real impressive to your range buddies when you pull out a rifle, brag about its bore size, then not be able to get through one magazine full without a hiccup.  Better start compiling your excuses list for malfunctions.

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.  If you are going to the .50 B, get quality.  I don't know who makes quality .50 B since TROMIX has stopped making them, but I can assure you it's not BCA or Stoner or Radical.

If you are open to another big bore that will function correctly, has a HUGE range of bullets available if you reload and a pretty darned big selection even if you don't, check out TROMIX and the .458 SOCOM.  He and Teppo Jutsu are the ones who originally developed the .458 SOCOM back in 2000 and Tony of TROMIX was likely the first to develop big bore calibers for the AR, long before the .458 S and .50 B came out in 2000 or so.  You buy a barrel and bolt, or complete upper from TROMIX and it will work out of the box.  And if you want to impress your friends, load a 5.56 in the magazine, insert the magazine, point the muzzle down and drop the bolt.  Watch the entire 5.56 round come popping out of the muzzle of the .458 SOCOM.  That will make 'em laugh and if it doesn't, your friends are broken.

Another .458 complete upper that is made correctly is from Rock River Arms.  The only problem with their stuff is lack of selection, but if you like what they have, they are good to go.  Other companies like SBR and SSK also make properly built .458 SOCOMs but the wait is long and the price is much higher, yet the quality is not really any better than you get with a TROMIX.  Look around, you will find more people satisfied with TROMIX .458 SOCOMs than all others combined, at any price.
View Quote

The $300 Stoner barrels are made by Liberty, I have one and it runs great

ETA: looks like midway no longer carries that barrel, was a 16” stainless
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:43:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I have one of the BCA uppers with a 10.5 inch barrel on a registered lower, it has been very reliable for me, I use it to hunt hogs with on occasion.  I have probably put a 1000 rnds through it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#15]
My BCA build is accurate and reliable. I haven't seen a single big bore AR thread that a certain member doesn't come in and post that Tromix is the only big bore AR that is any good, and that anything else is garbage.

Maybe a few years ago, this was true, but beer creek has the 50 beowulf figured out. Cheap or not.

Not trying to cause trouble.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 12:06:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By HK_DUDE:
My BCA build is accurate and reliable. I haven't seen a single big bore AR thread that a certain member doesn't come in and post that Tromix is the only big bore AR that is any good, and that anything else is garbage.

Maybe a few years ago, this was true, but beer creek has the 50 beowulf figured out. Cheap or not.

Not trying to cause trouble.
View Quote

I would wager that you got lucky.

Two of their 458 barrels that came through my local shop in the last year:

Link Posted: 5/8/2020 12:12:46 AM EDT
[#17]
I can only speak for 2 of the .50 Beowulf barrels. The rest of their stuff may be crap
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 7:41:31 AM EDT
[#18]
I have an AA 50 Beowulf upper. It shoots well, feeds ok. Had to mod my mags a lot to get it to feed wide meplat lead bullets.

Everyone online says you need to keep the bullets flat. I say no, you have to tip them up like a 45 ACP feeding into a Glock.

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 12:27:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Tromix is an awesome company to deal with! I picked up a 450 bushy barrel/bolt combo from and couldn't be happier,
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:26:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Any one else shoot these bullets beside me?

500gr

400gr
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 9:23:22 AM EDT
[#21]
BCA 12.7x42 - 50 caliber AR-15 Complete Upper
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:46:15 AM EDT
[#22]
I shoot the 500gr hornady bullets but I don’t like paying $1ea.  I have my remainders loaded up with tin star waiting for my bowers to come in.

I want to get the 400’s but i haven’t pulled the trigger.  I should before it’s too late.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 6:06:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Donwe:
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbbA8lYBN_w
View Quote

I love this guys videos.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Just ordered the BCA 10.5” side charger.  The original plan was the 7.5” liberty barrel, 12” aero quantum rail and the bowers 50.  Figured if the barrel is complete poo I’ll replace it with the 7.5 liberty.  

Also used up 10 lbs of hardball ingots making 160 440gr bullets.  Still need to powder coat them

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Let us know how it shoots and runs.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 4:00:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted: .  
. . .

Also used up 10 lbs of hardball ingots making 160 440gr bullets.  Still need to powder coat them

View Quote

What mold?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 4:16:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Lee. # 501-440    I think
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

If it feeds that large flat nose that will be impressive.

I have been tempted many times by some of the low priced 12.7x42mm and 458-SOCOM uppers at BCA when they go on sale.  But always figured I would need a nice smooth rounded/pointy nose profile to get those economy uppers to feed reliably.

If yours works out with those big wide flat nose pills, well then I'll be much more likely to pick one or more up myself.

I like big wide flat nose cast lead pills that hit like freight trains, not all that interested if I'm limited to rounded/pointy nose profile only.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:06:26 PM EDT
[#29]
You have to get the nose up on the bullets.  My AA upper with AA/elander mag didn’t like the hornady 500gr bullets until the mags got tweaked.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:35:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Just came across these dies that I’ve purchased.

https://ibb.co/n78Xq93

.502 in 450,500,550 and 600 grain all in one.  These should feed very very nice.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 2:57:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Had mine for 10yrs+ took it out, and shot it once. Bought it off the EE here. Haven't shot it since.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:49:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Mine runs like a scalded ape...no problems here

I don't know who made my upper.  I bought it off the EE labeled as an Alexander Arms only to find out quite awhile later that is was not.  Sellers excuse was he didn't know who made it and just assumed it was an AA and sold it as such .  Oh well.

It's now AA on the bottom at least.  Hasn't let me down yet! They are definitely fun to shoot and ammo is almost always cheaper than the smaller big bores.  All things considered the basic FMJ ammo is very cheap in comparison to other powerful calibers.  Nobody plinks with the most expensive ammo variant available anyway.  You save that stuff for hunting T-rex or rogue rhinos trampling your trampoline.

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:05:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Had mine for 10yrs+ took it out, and shot it once. Bought it off the EE here. Haven't shot it since.
View Quote

That is a sad story. You should go shoot it again.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Let us know how it shoots and runs.
View Quote

Update. Got the 10.5” BCA side charger Beowulf fired up today.  Shot about 20-30 rounds thru it and not a single issue. Ran perfect.

My focus is on subsonic loads for this upper. I posted a pic somewhere in this thread of some Noe molds I used to make some 600 gr bullets.  Using 18.5 grains of lil gun I got them going 1040 fps and it cycled with a standard buffer. Using  The H2 buffer the cases would stove pipe.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 6:19:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Update. Got the 10.5” BCA side charger Beowulf fired up today.  Shot about 20-30 rounds thru it and not a single issue. Ran perfect.

My focus is on subsonic loads for this upper. I posted a pic somewhere in this thread of some Noe molds I used to make some 600 gr bullets.  Using 18.5 grains of lil gun I got them going 1040 fps and it cycled with a standard buffer. Using  The H2 buffer the cases would stove pipe.
View Quote

People trash them, and some probably for good reason, but I've had good luck with all my BCA stuff.  The internet is where people come to bitch, not to brag.  Seems to hold true across the spectrum
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#36]
SBR .50 Beowulf

BCA 10.5

Bowers 50ss suppressor

https://ibb.co/C5rWcVW
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
AA is another source. They've made the 50 bw for a long time. http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Uppers-_50_Beowulf_12_-_Complete_Upper_Assembly.html

After shooting a pistol version from the guy next to me at the range I looked into it, but never went further than that. Its deafening with a tank brake in a concrete floor/steel ceiling shooting bay.
View Quote

Wear ear pro.
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 5:17:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I have been tempted many times by some of the low priced 12.7x42mm and 458-SOCOM uppers at BCA when they go on sale.  But always figured I would need a nice smooth rounded/pointy nose profile to get those economy uppers to feed reliably.

If yours works out with those big wide flat nose pills, well then I'll be much more likely to pick one or more up myself.

I like big wide flat nose cast lead pills that hit like freight trains, not all that interested if I'm limited to rounded/pointy nose profile only.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

50 Beowulf Lee C501-440-rf

Link Posted: 8/6/2020 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Played with some green dot powder trying to make the Lee 440 cast bullets subsonic.  13.5 and 14grs of green dot got the shells to eject but won’t lock back on a mag yet.  Still forgot to switch to a standard buffer.

Next go I’m trying to ladder up higher and swap the buffer.

Link Posted: 8/8/2020 2:20:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I’d personally skip any BCA big bore. Satern and Liberty make barrels, and made them for AA years ago
View Quote

FIFY.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#41]
I've got 3 BCA AR barrels, a couple stripped uppers I built & 2 of their Glock barrels.  I haven't built one of the barrels yet (got it free for Veterans day) but haven't had any problems whatsoever.  In fact the Glock barrels are more accurate than the factory barrels.  The 2 AR barrels I built are both SOCOM profile in 223Wylde one being 18" the other being 16"  So far I'd say the 16" inch as actually slightly more accurate than the 18" one.  Mainly have shot 855 or other FMJ type stuff & those shoot a bit over 2-1/2" MOA.  The more premium & handloads have got both under 2".  My best group with the 18" was ~1-3/4 & the 16" was just a tad over 1-1/4"  For sub $100 barrels, I'm not going to complain at all.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 9:38:49 AM EDT
[#42]
I have a 10.5 from BCA and it runs great and shoots about 3moa @100. I have put exactly 200 rounds through it and killed 2 deer with it and have had 3 FTF. I also have a 18 inch 6.5 Grendel that shoots under 1 moa and 7.62x39 that shoots great. I might just have gotten lucky but my BCA’s have been worth every penny. FYI just don’t shoot the .50 Beowulf from a bench cause it’s brutal on the shoulder
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 2:15:05 PM EDT
[#43]
If you can be happy with 3MOA groups and the occasional FTF, more power to you but that would drive me insane, especially groups that big.  I’d be using that barrel for a tomato stake.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 11:28:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Since this thread returned to life, I just ordered that BCA upper. My reasoning: Why not. I'm bored.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top