Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 127
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jekbrown:
What he said. The 'sheets' may be locked, but AFAIK you can still copy/paste the data into your own spreadsheet...and then sort by the length column...get rid of the lengths you don't want, and presto you've got all the options, in order by weight of the rail length you're looking for.  You could also sort by oz/in if you're looking for the most efficient design.
View Quote

You don't even kneed to copy/paste into your own spreadsheet, just go to Data->Filter Views->Create new temporary filter view. Then you can select any column you please, sort by it, remove any values you don't want to see, and so forth.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#2]
That would work too.

I don't have much experience with Sheets where I'm not the owner of the document, so I wasn't 100% sure what options the users had. In any case, thanks for the helpful info! I should probably put that in the database as a quick guide for newbie users.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 5:49:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#3]
I've been looking, but I can't find the answer. Besides Faxon, does anyone else have 0.625 "slim" "light"  flash hiders/comps/brakes?  I knew if anyone knew the lightweight crew would know because those Faxon slimline are lighter than titanium muzzle devices.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 5:59:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ahrion:
I've been looking, but I can't find the answer. Besides Faxon, does anyone else have 0.625 "slim" "light"  flash hiders/comps/brakes?  I knew if anyone knew the lightweight crew would know because those Faxon slimline are lighter than titanium muzzle devices.
View Quote

I don't think anyone else makes "slim" muzzle devices specifically, because Faxon made the "slim" line of muzzle devices with the intent of making it possible to switch out gas blocks even with a pinned and welded SBR. However, if you look on the Google spreadsheet there are a few options which are lighter than Faxon's offerings, such as V7's Ti microbrake.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By asorel:

I don't think anyone else makes "slim" muzzle devices specifically, because Faxon made the "slim" line of muzzle devices with the intent of making it possible to switch out gas blocks even with a pinned and welded SBR. However, if you look on the Google spreadsheet there are a few options which are lighter than Faxon's offerings, such as V7's Ti microbrake.
View Quote

There's the Strike Industries one, but it's heavy and 0.750. And there's also the VG6 Epsilon SL. Same thing.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 11:00:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Soo the San tan tactical aluminum bolt catch appears to be available on cheaper than dirt. But on the San tan tactical website it says it's steel 🤔 anyone laid eyes or hands on one of these???
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 11:16:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 12:09:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#8]
Originally Posted By pscot468:
Soo the San tan tactical aluminum bolt catch appears to be available on cheaper than dirt. But on the San tan tactical website it says it's steel 🤔 anyone laid eyes or hands on one of these???
View Quote

I wouldn't trust an aluminum bolt catch with my life. Heck, I'm about to switch out my Titanium badger one for the V7 S7 one because it looks like my trigger is destroying the catch. (I have 2 of the ti Badgers)
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 12:22:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Why have a bolt catch?  
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:02:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Why have a bolt catch?  
View Quote

This. Nothing lighter than omitted parts. No need for the catch, pin, spring, or the 'hump' on the receiver for it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:53:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Awhile back I had mentioned here - someone needs to make a carbon fiber brace ala Smoke / Incognito.

Sounds like there is some good news:

1) Incognito plans to offer products again.
2) They plan to offer a "Brace"

now for the wait...
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:50:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Definitely good news that incognito is coming back...they make seriously LW parts!
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 11:25:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Interesting. I blame Europe.

Serious note, I wonder if this has ever been a reported issue with M16/AR15 type rifles?
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 11:47:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:

I may be concerned over nothing, BUT, I recall the Brits removed the bolt catches from their FN-FAL’s and it resulted in cracked receivers from the bolt slamming shut on an empty chamber. 
View Quote

PCC shooters have been removing the bolt catch for a while without issues and don't quote me on this but I believe they stress the platform much more than a blowback design does.  Gibbz Arms even offers a PCC lower without provisions for a bolt catch at all.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:30:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I actually have been running catchless for a few hundred rounds now, it works great! The bolt "locks open" on the magazine follower. The majority of AKs don't have a bolt lock, though I think there was some mags that worked similarly to what I'm doing. Of course as soon as you drop the mag the bolt slams home, but with less force.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:46:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I don’t think my OCD would let me have that empty slot and roll pin bosses.
I’d love to weld it closed and then mill it smooth. Hmmmmm
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:35:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Well I'm running a Tegra so some epoxy fixed that! Can't be letting too much crap into the action! I also wanted to comment on the post about a Titanium gas key made a little bit back. I talked to RCA about an adjustable Titanium gas key, he said he personally was down, but he'd have to talk to the powers that be. That's been a while ago though. If anybody has a contact maybe we can get that kickstarted.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 12:02:44 PM EDT
[#19]
That would be sweet. One of the last few steel parts...
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 3:27:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ahrion:

I wouldn't trust an aluminum bolt catch with my life. Heck, I'm about to switch out my Titanium badger one for the V7 S7 one because it looks like my trigger is destroying the catch. (I have 2 of the ti Badgers)
View Quote

I wouldn't either!!! These will just go on my ultralights. They're basically just toys, I don't put many rounds thru them.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 6:39:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: larrys] [#21]
I trimmed my BAD Ti catch down to .187 oz.
No idea if it will hold up. I was worried that it might damage the receiver but it works good in the magnesium one so hoping it is GTG in the V7.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By pscot468:

I wouldn't either!!! These will just go on my ultralights. They're basically just toys, I don't put many rounds thru them.
View Quote

Exactly. All my ARs are range toys. SHTF gun is a Favor SAR. Anyway, omitting parts is a sound strategy, I'm a big fan, especially since ultralights tend to be $pendy builds.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 11:49:49 PM EDT
[#23]
We can omit the gas system, the magazine, and the buffer and spring next.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 11:50:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm not opposed.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:19:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Just an FYI: working on updates to the PWD today. All user data should be integrated over the course of the day. Also, I've added a new manufacturer. Jag Composites, maker of ultralight handguards. Only available length right now is 13.5, but other lengths are coming soon and it looks like they are about to re-write the 'leaderboard' aka the rail sheet in the PWD. Impressive. Looks like I found an option for my non-SBR build.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By jekbrown:
Just an FYI: working on updates to the PWD today. All user data should be integrated over the course of the day. Also, I've added a new manufacturer. Jag Composites, maker of ultralight handguards. Only available length right now is 13.5, but other lengths are coming soon and it looks like they are about to re-write the 'leaderboard' aka the rail sheet in the PWD. Impressive. Looks like I found an option for my non-SBR build.
View Quote

I like their offerings, I like the Coda offering as well, it's larger diameter and heavier but accommodate a suppressor. For an ultra-light, I like the JAG, the only issue I see - is the front sight... I am not sure yet if it just requires a standard mlok / rail adapter to get it to the right height or not?

Obviously you could go with a red dot.

For my light real use build I used the coda... it just so happens that the only Mlok direct mount sight I could find - by KAC - was the perfect height.

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:40:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jekbrown] [#27]
Come on now, front sight, on an ultralight? heck, with how durable optics are these days, a lot of people are ditching irons even on more practical rifles.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:20:39 PM EDT
[#28]
lol... true... but you can probably get lighter set of sights than a red dot...

You don't need both on a ultralight....
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#29]
But can you? There are some seriously light RDS. The polymer housing reflex sites (JP, Shield etc.) are super light and unlike irons you don't need two of them. I'd have to double check the PWD but I'm pretty sure the lightest RDSs are lighter than the lightest pair of irons.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:57:59 PM EDT
[#30]
If E sights were around, pretty sure they are lighter....

Mission First Tactical - really meh sights, but they work for a uber-ultralight... 1 oz total for the two.

The shield is light... but I don't think with the mount it's that light? Plus if you want it raised up, it's about the same as an RMR with a Master of Arms Mount.....
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 4:10:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PursuitSS] [#31]
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#32]
ok, the 05/18/20 update is complete. All user submitted data has been added and, a bit surprisingly, we had some parts 'take the title' in their respective category. Usually pretty rare when that happens, but a couple items were best in class this time. That's an encouraging sign if you ask me, that innovation is still happening in the ultralight space. Warms the heart. Anyway, if you guys think of any other new parts to add, just drop 'em in the User Data sheet!

Side note: after months of moving/dog adoption chaos, I should have more time to work on the PWD going forward. On the other hand, I'm also starting a second database (AK74 magazine info), and I'm in the process of buying land to build my own private range, so maybe I won't have extra time, lol.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 4:52:25 PM EDT
[#33]
The Swampfox Kingslayer weighs 1.3 ounces WITH the mount.

PLUS, it has an optional Circle/Dot reticle similar to an EoTech reticle.
View Quote

Very cool, will have to consider this.

Looking like a very low mount..... probably like the shield without the risers.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:04:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: larrys] [#34]
The Swampfox Kingslayer weighs 1.3 ounces WITH the mount.

PLUS, it has an optional Circle/Dot reticle similar to an EoTech reticle.
View Quote

Does the Kingslayer have a full co mount available?

I have the poly Shield SMS and I’ll probably be selling it, it just doesn’t work for my eyes, even at full cowitness.

Nada Nada is the Master of Arms mount available now? I ordered one a long time ago and gave up on it.
The RMR is not only light it’s one of my favorite red dot type sights. The dot is crisp and clear even with my crappy vision.

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#35]
All Swampfox optics have been added. Dang OCD...
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:45:49 PM EDT
[#36]
How about the Meprolight FT Bullseye? It's the front AND rear sight in one! For a hundred yards it should be close enough. Don't know about the mount though...https://images.app.goo.gl/Q9qgJjoKKi8Apgpy8
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Ooops sorry that was supposed to be a link to the website, I pasted the wrong one somehow. You get the idea though.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:41:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#38]
I got my both of my Evolution Weapons system carriers. There's a lot of stuff to this that I didn't know about, such as the entire assembly is free floated in the upper, there's a  recoil catch (keeps hammer from hitting springs + prevents overtravel and eliminates any jiggle in the upper), dead blow slide weight (reduces bolt bouce, slows dwell time, and helps feed mags with the lighter springs), firing pin spring similar to those seen in X95, HK416, Sig MCX, and 9mm platforms. Examining the parts, they all look pretty good quality.

You can tell by the design, there were a lot of considerations while designing this.

After removing all the stuff I had on previously, install took about 5 min. I have more pics, but these are the things that should be taken into consideration for weights.

It seems like this system weighs  a lot at first sight, but if you think about what it replaces, the entire EWS assembly is 13.334 oz  + 5.1 oz PMM ultralight weight stock which requires to 18.434 oz. However the PWS EBT Mod 2 is 3.052 oz, V7 Castle nut is 0.236 oz, V7 endplate is 0.194 oz, v7 to carrier group is 7.9 oz, 0.039 oz ti detent, 1.5 oz white sprinco spring, 1.1 oz Taccom buffer, and 6 oz MFT stock, you get 20.021 oz. That's a weight reduction of roughly 1.587 oz versus my previous build. By design, I would consider this system a lightweight solution.

Cam pin

End cap and end plates assembly

Entire carrier assembly
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#39]
How well does it perform. That's going on the list of things I want! :D
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:45:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#40]
Originally Posted By j_cobbers:
How well does it perform. That's going on the list of things I want! :D
View Quote

I'm not exactly sure yet. I just installed a RCA Adjustable Gas Key Gen 2 (it has a cutout for the POF roller cam pin). I have to wait for locktite to set. And I need to pick a day to tune it in the desert

I'm just happy because I thought it was going to make my build heavier, and it actually became a better lightweight solution.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 5:49:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Is anyone using the New Frontier Armory LW-4 lower?
How do you like it?
Would you buy another?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Just got an email from Roam Rifles, they are building light weight and ultra light weight AR 10 style rifles. Expensive but interesting. Their lightest AR308 weighs 5.73 pounds, almost 1.8 pounds over my lightest. But they are using cheaper parts to get the weight down.

I am worried about their recoil, they are not using a muzzle brake, that contributes 50% of my recoil reduction. Their BCG must also be lighter than stock, too new to find out for now.

Got this from ROAM. Our ultralight upper receiver weighs 6.88 ounces and our lower receiver weighs 6.4 ounces..

So total weight of 13.28 ounces is much lighter than the 2A Xantos @ 16 ounces.

Some of their rifles are using Proof Research barrels, nice but rifles are over $3500.

I think they are missing a huge market, under $2000. Only people with lots of $$$$$ can afford a $2600 to $4000 rifle.

And I could still cut another half pound out of each of their AR10's. Perhaps as much as one pound.

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:27:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#43]
Originally Posted By breastroker:
Just got an email from Roam Rifles, they are building light weight and ultra light weight AR 10 style rifles. Expensive but interesting. Their lightest AR308 weighs 5.73 pounds, almost 1.8 pounds over my lightest. But they are using cheaper parts to get the weight down.

I am worried about their recoil, they are not using a muzzle brake, that contributes 50% of my recoil reduction. Their BCG must also be lighter than stock, too new to find out for now.

Got this from ROAM. Our ultralight upper receiver weighs 6.88 ounces and our lower receiver weighs 6.4 ounces..

So total weight of 13.28 ounces is much lighter than the 2A Xantos @ 16 ounces.

Some of their rifles are using Proof Research barrels, nice but rifles are over $3500.

I think they are missing a huge market, under $2000. Only people with lots of $$$$$ can afford a $2600 to $4000 rifle.

And I could still cut another half pound out of each of their AR10's. Perhaps as much as one pound.

View Quote

I'm extremely sceptical, not because of price but because magnesium-aluminum doesnt hold up for AR15s.  I'm curious to see how it would hold up to AR10.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#44]
We don't know what alloy they are using. But I disagree with your statement "but because magnesium-aluminum doesnt hold up for AR15s", mine are going strong after 5-6 years of shooting.

People always want to run over AR's with tanks and big trucks. You buy a $2000 plus AR you are going to be a little more careful.

For a bug out gun, a 5 pound AR10 lets you take a LOT more ammo with you.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#45]
The New Frontier Armory LW-4 lower @ $22.99 apears to be the same as the Tegra that many of us use. So far I have had zero real problems with the Tegra lowers. There was some fitment issues, like some of the holes for takedown pins too small. 5 minutes with a jewlers file fixed them up. I have 6 lowers, like them a lot better than the original polymer lowers New Frontier had 8-10 years ago.

I have some Tegras that I took a lot of weight out of. Still work fine.

Just don't over tighten things.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:08:35 PM EDT
[#46]
The New Frontier Armory LW-4 lower @ $22.99 apears to be the same as the Tegra that many of us use. So far I have had zero real problems with the Tegra lowers. There was some fitment issues, like some of the holes for takedown pins too small. 5 minutes with a jewlers file fixed them up. I have 6 lowers, like them a lot better than the original polymer lowers New Frontier had 8-10 years ago.

I have some Tegras that I took a lot of weight out of. Still work fine. 

Just don't over tighten things.
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:59:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Stroker,

Was Roam trying to sell you something or were they consulting your expertise?
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 1:52:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#48]
We don't know what alloy they are using. But I disagree with your statement "but because magnesium-aluminum doesnt hold up for AR15s", mine are going strong after 5-6 years of shooting.

People always want to run over AR's with tanks and big trucks. You buy a $2000 plus AR you are going to be a little more careful. 

For a bug out gun, a 5 pound AR10 lets you take a LOT more ammo with you.
View Quote

Don't get me wrong, I have like 5 Fostech mag-al lowers and BCM KMR handguards so I'm no denier by any means. However they can't make these outlandish claims for a designer price rifle without at least giving a little more info than a cool looking website and a flashy/catchy little image.  Their website straight up says Magnesium alloys are what they use. When they make these claims, they're comparing it to "aluminum" in general or to strength and hardness versus 6061 rather than 7075, which is only really used on AR15 handguard and buffer tubes (6061) nowadays.  They're pretty vague, although they do give aluminum vs steel comparison without a percentage to compare to 6061. They don't state anything about yield strength, compressive strength, tensile strength.  These things lead me to be very skeptical.

Source:
Their website
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:11:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By j_cobbers:
Stroker,

Was Roam trying to sell you something or were they consulting your expertise?
View Quote

Good question. If they were consulting, they picked the right person. Not blowing smoke-- as far as I know 'stroker is the foremost expert on the planet when it comes to ultralight 308 ARs. Definitely one of the best resources in the entire thread.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 4:43:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#50]
I found gas ti key screws that are about 140k psi and aren't the tapered socket head screws. They say it's a parallel socket head screw. Anyone know the difference between this and socket head?
Page / 127
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top