Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2021 8:17:30 PM EDT
I have a 20" Armalite A4 upper with a HBAR profile the entire length, and would like to lighten it up.  New barrels are expensive and scarce on the ground, so I'm thinking about having it lightened.

I don't really care a lot about the appearance issues - the blinginess of dimpling vs fluting, for instance.  I want to get the weight down without messing up the stress relief or other major effects on accuracy, and don't want to spend a ton of money.

What are the pros and cons of these techniques?

The barrel in question:
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:44:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, unless you do it yourself it's not going to be much cheaper if any than finding a gov profile barrell floating around. Granted finding one without the taper pin holes etc would add to your cost of a new barrel as if you aren't going to do it yourself.

Last time I priced it out on Adco anyway, but that was a while ago.

My vote is, if you are going to get it lightened, go full on and have it reprofiled, you can shave a ton of weight off that.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:58:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Find a local machine shop an have them turn it down . A little trim under the handguards knocked almost a pound off this varmint barrel.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Reprofile it is, assuming I can't find a decent finished barrel in stock somewhere.  I'm OK with a lot of upper work, but not so confident about pinning a FSB, so reprofiling is definitely cheaper for now.

I've got another barrel job in the queue for a P&W, so maybe the market will loosen up by the time that one's done.  If not, it's off to Adco!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top