Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2018 4:02:38 PM EDT
Been wanting to get rid of my psl now that ammo is no cheaper and consolidate to 308.  My dad has dpms g2 ap4 and I like it just fine but needs a different hand guard.  POF has the revolution, crazy light and small but more expensive and seems fragile.  Maybe it’s not true but seems like they did crazy stuff to make it cycle.  Windham has a light one but I couldn’t see much over the G2.  DD but heavier than G2.  Any others?  What say you?
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Happy with my 2 GII's.

I think the POF is really cool, but too much $$.

My M&P 10 has been flawless as well, and really light with the MI 15" rail.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you perfer the GII VS the m&p?  I'm torn between building a ar10 in 6.5 creedmore or buying a GII in 308.  I've also seen good reviews in the M&P.   My primary use will be deer hunting at mainly under 100 yards (MN) but up to 600 yards (SD).   I've contemplated a few really nice bolt guns but I just like the idea of having a hunting rifle thats a but softer shooting and can also be handy in SHTF situations(mainly because ill be selling a VEPR to fund the rifle and scope).  Looking at 16 and 18" barrels if i build.  Lighter the better while still being a great shooter is important to me.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Tikka bolt guns don't leave the factory unless they shoot  all three shots under one inch.

Savage rifles also seem to shoot well.  Hunting and CQB are totally different applications.  Shooting at 600 is not the same as shooting at 200.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:30:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm kind of hoping that POF will build a di version of the revolution that will accept a standard ar-15 free float rail. They built the lightest .308 then put a heavy gas piston system and heavy rail on it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:54:29 PM EDT
[#5]
The revolution must have required it.  It’s a more costly way to go and more complicated.  To me that says it works but just so no wiggle room.  I didn’t know m&p had a light weight model I will look now
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:30:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you perfer the GII VS the m&p?  I'm torn between building a ar10 in 6.5 creedmore or buying a GII in 308.  I've also seen good reviews in the M&P.   My primary use will be deer hunting at mainly under 100 yards (MN) but up to 600 yards (SD).   I've contemplated a few really nice bolt guns but I just like the idea of having a hunting rifle thats a but softer shooting and can also be handy in SHTF situations(mainly because ill be selling a VEPR to fund the rifle and scope).  Looking at 16 and 18" barrels if i build.  Lighter the better while still being a great shooter is important to me.
View Quote
I do like the GII better, primarily because of it's smaller size and slightly lighter weight.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:14:48 AM EDT
[#7]
If for SHTF, you want parts commonality. That rules out everything youve stated in my opinion.

Build something using common parts. Including barrels, gas keys, bolts, etc etc.

Also, dont worry too much about weight. Keep it under 10lbs, and youll be fine. No need to go super light, best going with a short bolt gun if weight is most concern in SHTF.

Just my opinion. Keep it simple. DD is nice, but too proprietary, same with the POF. DPMS as well with its barrel and gas key.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Want it for pig nv hunting.  After light and laser and possible thermal or nv scope a regular AR10 weighs 15lbs or more.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 12:28:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Ha, yeah, thatll add up quick.

I havent been on a night vision hog hunt. I imagine, from no experience mind you, that most of those hunts are really just mag dumping at night, and maybe killing a hog or 2. Ha.

Shouldnt you have the night vision on a helmet instead? Cut down on the rifle weight. Then just use a red dot of some sort instead of magnified optics?

I would think an Ar15 in 6.8 with all the goodies attached would be more ideal than an AR10 for night hunting hogs. Again, I have no experience in the night hunts. Just throwing out brain farts.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 10:31:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Been wanting to get rid of my psl now that ammo is no cheaper and consolidate to 308.  My dad has dpms g2 ap4 and I like it just fine but needs a different hand guard.  POF has the revolution, crazy light and small but more expensive and seems fragile.  Maybe it’s not true but seems like they did crazy stuff to make it cycle.  Windham has a light one but I couldn’t see much over the G2.  DD but heavier than G2.  Any others?  What say you?
View Quote
I love my two GIIs.  I had the AP4 but modded it, might use the barrel to build a new lightweight rig.

If you dont wanna change much, take a look at the Compact Hunter.  6.9lbs and you can bring that down by swapping out the heavy stock and grip they used.  Midlength gas.

You owe it to yourself to handle one of these small frames before buying.  Feels amazing compared to the old large frames.  One member estimated 4oz heavier, 3/4 inch longer than an equivalent AR15.  The GIIs have a lot of integral upgrades not seen on base model AR10s, like titanium firing pin, flared magwell, monolithic carrier key, dual ejector bolt, etc, etc.

Member argues parts commonality, then tells you to go 6.8.  Anyway, the GIIs share most parts with either AR15 or large frame AR10, receiver sets, BCGs, barrel and nuts are unique.  You should have a spare bolt anyway no matter which you buy, and 308 isnt exactly a barrel burner.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 10:58:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If for SHTF, you want parts commonality. That rules out everything youve stated in my opinion.

Build something using common parts. Including barrels, gas keys, bolts, etc etc.

Also, dont worry too much about weight. Keep it under 10lbs, and youll be fine. No need to go super light, best going with a short bolt gun if weight is most concern in SHTF.

Just my opinion. Keep it simple. DD is nice, but too proprietary, same with the POF. DPMS as well with its barrel and gas key.
View Quote
How does one do this in the AR-10 world with the overall lack of commonality?
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 12:12:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I run a bcm ar15 with high end 77grain ammo now.  Works great but I only get a shot on more than 3 pigs at a time twice a year.  Usually it’s 2 or less at a time.  I want to put them down one round cost effectively.  Cheap 308 ammo seems to be the ticket.  Socom is expensive if I was going to go 300blk I would just use my sks and 6.8 doesn’t interest me since I don’t have a suppressor.   I think I will look over the g2 models again.  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 8:29:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How does one do this in the AR-10 world with the overall lack of commonality?
View Quote
By using LR308/SR25/Ar10 spec parts.

They all use the same Ar15 gas key for one, the others do not. Gas tubes as well, which kinda rules out Armalite, unless you swap out the barrel.

Bolts and extractors, thats something you just wanna have extra parts I guess.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#14]
DPMS posted the GII compatibility chart some time ago:

Thread

In addition I BELIEVE the GII and LR308 extractors are interchangeable, the GII just has some newfangled extractor and spring design using some space magic materials.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 9:12:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The revolution must have required it.  It’s a more costly way to go and more complicated.  To me that says it works but just so no wiggle room.  I didn’t know m&p had a light weight model I will look now
View Quote
I doubt it required the piston, that's just what POF is known for and where they put their R and D money first. And frankly, it lets them charge more. Have you noticed that an LWRC piston rifle is $2,300 but their di models were going for $1,200 or less a year ago. $1,100 for a piston gas block, op-rod, op-rod spring, one piece bolt carrier, and a rail that can be unscrewed to disassemble the op-rod. $1,100.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 9:15:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I run a bcm ar15 with high end 77grain ammo now.  Works great but I only get a shot on more than 3 pigs at a time twice a year.  Usually it’s 2 or less at a time.  I want to put them down one round cost effectively.  Cheap 308 ammo seems to be the ticket.  Socom is expensive if I was going to go 300blk I would just use my sks and 6.8 doesn’t interest me since I don’t have a suppressor.   I think I will look over the g2 models again.  Thanks guys.
View Quote
The 77gr in the 5.56 will allow much faster follow up shots and won't make your scope jump way off the target. Might still be the way to go even if you have to go back and make anchor shots
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top