Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2023 10:45:58 PM EDT
I recently took my SBR out to the range to shoot some low light / no light..?.. steel plinking. I’m just now getting into low light carbine applications. I’m running a Arisaka 300 via a Proctor Mlok mount, and while I really like the ergos of this setup, it really casts a noticeable shadow of the can.

With that said, I’m currently utilizing a Nomad on a Xeno mount and I’m also about 7 months deep on my eform 4 for a Keymo Sierra 5, which will become a dedicated can for said rifle.

Do I wait for the Sierra to clear and see how the situation plays out or should I explore different mounting solutions? Or should I chalk it up to a training (or lack there of) issue?

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:57:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been looking at this -

T.REX Lightbar Scout Mount

https://www.trex-arms.com/store/Lightbar-Scout-Mount/

Link Posted: 1/21/2023 12:21:49 AM EDT
[#2]
With tailcap activation, going further forward may be awkward. You may be in the market for a hot button, modbutton, pressure pad, etc. to keep the control near your support hand. On the plus side, you can run it up top and your light control becomes ambidextrous.

Take a look at Haley's Thorntail or the Magpul cantilever scout mount to get you around that can if you want to push the light forward.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 9:18:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Ideal shadow placement would be even to suppressor end cap but then with no suppressor its pretty awkward. I have mine equal with the muzzle device end and I feel thats a good balance. I use an arisaka mount and mod button.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 9:26:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://img.trex-arms.com/wp/uploads/2019/10/T.REX-Lightbar-3624-1500x844.jpg
View Quote

This would be first suggestion, but the Nomad is a fat can and I’m not sure the light bar would clear it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 10:59:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

https://img.trex-arms.com/wp/uploads/2019/10/T.REX-Lightbar-3624-1500x844.jpg
View Quote

Quoted:

This would be first suggestion, but the Nomad is a fat can and I’m not sure the light bar would clear it.
View Quote

Hmm, that looks like an interesting solution. I think I might try to run the Sierra 5 before I drop the coin for a new mount and some sort of remote activation. However, I do like the thought of the Unity Hot button. What’s the go to tail cap optionI should I explore this route?
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 11:21:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Hmm, that looks like an interesting solution. I think I might try to run the Sierra 5 before I drop the coin for a new mount and some sort of remote activation. However, I do like the thought of the Unity Hot button. What’s the go to tail cap optionI should I explore this route?
View Quote

Surefire UE (remote switch only) or DS (remote switch + clicky switch) tailcaps. With the Sierra, the lightbar should be fine as it’s 1.5” diameter vs the Nomad at 1.735”. I’ve not used a lightbar + Nomad setup so it may be fine, but based on your pics it looks like it may cause interference issues.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 9:16:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 11:32:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the help and suggestions. Now I have some decisions to ponder.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:45:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Revisiting this thread..

Anyone run a Unity/Modlite ModButton? What about the Fusion light bar setup? I’m thinking this would pair quite nicely with the SF DS00 tail-cap on a dedicated suppressed setup.

Experiences?

Welp..that went a completely different direction I went and ordered an Arisaka offset scout mount and a Surefire DS-SR07 setup.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:52:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I dont have issues with my streetlight hlx on a arisaka mount, there is a "shadow" I guess id say, but nothing impeding the ID of what im aiming at.

the bezel is just at the locking collar of the keymo mount of my sandman S

if theres a clearance issue, you can go to ACE or truevalue for some small washers to bring the light off the mount for clearance, may need longer screws too, which they sell. ive done this and it works well. alumablack on the alum. washers, good to go.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 10:29:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I hate my modbutton, not easy to activate and it makes my light flicker unless I use a strap to put pressure on the tail cap. I use the surefire pressure pad mount d to my top rail without issue.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 9:15:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Much mo’ betterer
Attachment Attached File

I bought and tried a DS-SR07 setup (now in the EE) and didn’t like it at all. I guess I’m in the minority but I much prefer the tail cap activation vs the tape switch on an AR.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 10:30:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Much mo’ betterer
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/577174/0AA6741C-632D-4BA8-A89C-F66419DC162B_jpe-2774882.JPG

I bought and tried a DS-SR07 setup (now in the EE) and didn’t like it at all. I guess I’m in the minority but I much prefer the tail cap activation vs the tape switch on an AR.
View Quote

The only downside if weak side shooting. If you’re shooting lefty, it gets awkward trying to activate the tailcap. A tapeswitch at 12:00 gives you ambi control. But, tapeswitches and wires are a failure point. It’s all about trade offs.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The only downside if weak side shooting. If you’re shooting lefty, it gets awkward trying to activate the tailcap. A tapeswitch at 12:00 gives you ambi control. But, tapeswitches and wires are a failure point. It’s all about trade offs.
View Quote

That makes sense. I shoot with a thumb-over rail type grip and can still reach the button while shooting lefty. That’s one of the reasons I like the BCM rails, I can wrap my Girl Scout sized paw around the rail . I know it’s probably a training thing (I’ve only taken pistol classes) but I just don’t like the tapes, nd’s with white light being a thing with a tape is a real concern in my book. Again I need to take some carbine classes.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top