Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2023 1:29:41 PM EDT
So I found this sitting the back of my safe, and other than being a Surefire, I’m not sure what it is. It’s an Arms #17 mount with what I’m assuming is a M951. It’s definitely got an incandescent bulb and runs on 2 CR123s.

The tail cap has a push button and a spot for what appears to be a 2.5mm input for a pressure switch.

I was gonna buy a M300 or M600 but if I can upgrade this with a new head and new mount and not spend a bunch, that would be awesome.

Link Posted: 5/14/2023 2:23:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I looked into exactly this and the head is near the cost of a new light, as it is the most expensive part. The rest is just a tube and switch.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, it's an M951.

You can use one of these Malkoff drop in heads, read their descriptions to see the differences, and also note the parts about needing the additional ring for use in the M951.

https://malkoffdevices.com/collections/surefire-drop-ins-for-6p-g2-c2-etc-6-9-volts
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, it's an M951.

You can use one of these Malkoff drop in heads, read their descriptions to see the differences, and also note the parts about needing the additional ring for use in the M951.

https://malkoffdevices.com/collections/surefire-drop-ins-for-6p-g2-c2-etc-6-9-volts
View Quote

Awesome. Do you happen to know if the malkoff upgrade has a smaller head sue than the M951?
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Awesome. Do you happen to know if the malkoff upgrade has a smaller head sue than the M951?
View Quote
If you mean head size, the outer head of the light is reused as is, the replacement bulb assembly goes inside it instead of the P60 incandescent bulb assembly it comes with.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 5:19:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you mean head size, the outer head of the light is reused as is, the replacement bulb assembly goes inside it instead of the P60 incandescent bulb assembly it comes with.
View Quote

Yeah I meant size. Stupid phone got me on that one. I thought there was a whole head conversion that screwed on and had a smaller OD than the Surefire but I might be mistaken
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 5:22:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yeah I meant size. Stupid phone got me on that one. I thought there was a whole head conversion that screwed on and had a smaller OD than the Surefire but I might be mistaken
View Quote
Malakoff also makes a thread adaptor that allows you to use Scout pattern heads on that body, but that's going to be more expensive unless you have spare scout heads on hand.

https://malkoffdevices.com/products/malkoff-md90-adapter-for-surefire-mh90-body

Link Posted: 5/14/2023 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#7]
If you end up just getting a new weapon lite there are several companies that beat the pants off surefire these days.

Modlite just released the hog weapon light.  Similar form factor to your picture with a beam that will almost hit the moon.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:38:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Malakoff also makes a thread adaptor that allows you to use Scout pattern heads on that body, but that's going to be more expensive unless you have spare scout heads on hand.

View Quote

Alright so definitely just gonna do the drop in upgrade.
Quoted:
If you end up just getting a new weapon lite there are several companies that beat the pants off surefire these days.

Modlite just released the hog weapon light.  Similar form factor to your picture with a beam that will almost hit the moon.
View Quote

I’ll end up buying another light cause I have at least one more rifle that needs one and I'm sure I’ll end up paying for something nice. Just not in the cards right now.

As far as the mount, is there a way to mount it on Mlok? I noticed the mounting screws are oriented the same way as the Scout lights, just further apart. My Google-fu might be weak or I just don’t know what I’m looking cause I couldn’t find anything besides normal Scout style mounts.

Last, will any of the 2.5mm pressure switches work for this tailcap?

I guess worst case, I can save it for a Mk18 clone.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 8:27:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I’ll end up buying another light cause I have at least one more rifle that needs one and I'm sure I’ll end up paying for something nice. Just not in the cards right now.

As far as the mount, is there a way to mount it on Mlok? I noticed the mounting screws are oriented the same way as the Scout lights, just further apart. My Google-fu might be weak or I just don’t know what I’m looking cause I couldn’t find anything besides normal Scout style mounts.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You need a “Millenium” series mount.  You’ll have to search around, though, as there were never too many companies making them and with SF discontinuing that light body mount pattern, there’s really no reason for anyone to still be making them.

Link Posted: 5/15/2023 1:06:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You need a "Millenium" series mount.  You'll have to search around, though, as there were never too many companies making them and with SF discontinuing that light body mount pattern, there's really no reason for anyone to still be making them.

View Quote
This, the Millennium series lights were about done before MLok really took off, so finding a mount that does both is tough.  There are a few Picatinny mounts for them, otherwise one option (if they ever restock) is the adaptor Arisaka makes to use some of their scout light mounts with a millennium series light.

https://arisakadefense.com/offset-m620-adapter/
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Welp, it definitely doesn’t seem worth it outside of maybe spending the $50 or less for a Malkoff drop in LED upgrade. I’ll keep it around in case I end up with something that has picatinny and needs a light.

Probably just pony up for a new Modlite or similar.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 2:37:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Another thing to consider, I think complete of Millennium lights still fetch decent money from people looking to clone early GWOT builds.  You might be able to make enough in selling it as is to get you most of the way into a new setup.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Another thing to consider, I think complete of Millennium lights still fetch decent money from people looking to clone early GWOT builds.  You might be able to make enough in selling it as is to get you most of the way into a new setup.
View Quote

Hadn’t thought about that. Guess I’m gonna go research what a M951 is worth.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top