Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2024 1:51:37 PM EDT
Have a Toolcraft BCG. We all know they are fine, but are there any lighter BCG options available that will run reliably without worrying about tuning via an adjustable gas block?

The goal here would be save a few ounces (Not find the lightest BCG available), but not sacrifice reliability & not have to worry about tuning w/an adjustable gas block. I'm guessing that it's not really going to work, but figured I'd ask.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 3:35:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#1]
You could balance the overall weight by increasing the buffer accordingly, but reducing reciprocal weight without reducing gas is going to result in an over-gassed situation.

There are other ways to reduce gas besides an AGB tho, BRT gas tube, adjustable key, etc.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 4:59:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stowe] [#2]
I think you're going about this from the wrong direction. Lightweight BCGs are there for race guys. Guys that want to be able to tune the gun with reduced gas and less reciprocating mass. It all equalls flatter on target, during a multiple shot engagement. If your goal is just to make the rifle lighter, look into different stocks, grips, handguarts etc.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
You could balance the overall weight by increasing the buffer accordingly, but reducing reciprocal weight without reducing gas is going to result in an over-gassed situation.

There are other ways to reduce gas besides an AGB tho, BRT gas tube, adjustable key, etc.
View Quote

100% this.

Think about it as a system. You need the appropriate amount of gas for the complete system. Also, you need to determine how wide you want your operating window to be. You may want to change ammo, run dirty, run clean, suppressed, unsuppressed, cold weather, hot weather.

For most the goal of the lightweight bcg and light buffer weight is to reduce the amount of gas in the system.

You may have a reason like less sight disturbance you want less gas in your system or you may want more gas in your system if you want more reliability
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 12:37:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't think lightweight buffer is going to work for my situation since the gun will be run suppressed.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By RangeToy:
I don't think lightweight buffer is going to work for my situation since the gun will be run suppressed.
View Quote

You will need to address gas FIRST.  Suppressors add dwell time, so you need less gas to cycle.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:04:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Put simply, no.  If you decrease reciprocating weight, you’re going to need to adjust gas to compensate or you’ll start experiencing overgassing symptoms.  How badly will depend on how much weight is removed and how overgassed (gas port size) was to begin with.

In any case, decreasing reciprocating weight can and will have an affect on reliability under less than ideal circumstances (cold weather, dirty gun, etc).  Simple physics.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:05:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By RangeToy:
View Quote

Yeah, that’s an even worse idea then.  Find a way to cut weight elsewhere.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 8:36:58 PM EDT
[#8]
That's what I figured. Appreciate the replies
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 3:43:01 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

A light bolt carrier and a heavy buffer kind'a defeats the purpose of a lightweight carrier, doesn't it?

I mean what's the point of shaving 2.5 ounces off the carrier assembly then adding back 2.0 ounces with a heavy buffer?

Yeah, you do save 1/2 an ounce, but at the risk of not having it work right.  But, all ARs will run a standard buffer reliably.  (Unless, someone really wallowed out the gas port.)
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By lysanderxiii:

A light bolt carrier and a heavy buffer kind'a defeats the purpose of a lightweight carrier, doesn't it?

I mean what's the point of shaving 2.5 ounces off the carrier assembly then adding back 2.0 ounces with a heavy buffer?

Yeah, you do save 1/2 an ounce, but at the risk of not having it work right.  But, all ARs will run a standard buffer reliably.  (Unless, someone really wallowed out the gas port.)
View Quote

Trying to compensate for the extra weight of heavier buffer etc.

I weighed my PSA BCG and that is 11 oz vs the 14 of the Toolcraft. Maybe I will just swap them when I get this new rifle built.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:10:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By lysanderxiii:

View Quote

Which was precisely my point.  You can't reduce weight without reducing gas, but you can move it around for better handling.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:54:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Depends on the gas port of your particular barrel, as well as the recoil spring you are using.

To answer your question, the heaviest lightweight BCG I've seen has been DSA (not the aluminum version obviously).

You could run a lighter BCG along with an A5 buffer setup and add weight back there to get a better balanced rifle. And/or you could add in an adjustable gas key or carrier VS gas block. Not sure if anyone makes a light version of an adjustable carrier, though.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:55:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:12:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Which was precisely my point.  You can't reduce weight without reducing gas, but you can move it around for better handling.
View Quote

Except the heavier buffer is needed for the can ;)
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top