Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2020 6:01:31 PM EDT
So I'm setting up my 11.5 midlength to go shooting tomorrow. It has an adjustable gas block but it should be under gassed just due to the design since I won't be using a suppressor. With that being said my BCM lower came with an H buffer and some spring from BCM, not sure what it is. From Damage industries I got their "normal" Music wire spring and a Enhanced spring. Comparing them to the BCM one how do you determine which ones are going to be stiffer? Measure the size of the spring metal and compare that to the length maybe? Here is a pic of what I'm working with.

I plan to run a carbine buffer and one of these springs...

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Don’t over-think it.

Every build starts with standard carbine buffer ~3.0 ounces, and standard carbine spring.

If it runs, you can just leave it alone.

If it seems kind of violent, go with a heavier buffer and/or heavier spring. But be ready for it to malfunction when it gets really dirty if you arrest the cycling to the point that anything with a 16” barrel or less doesn’t beat-up brass or bend cotter pins.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#2]
With that barrel set-up and adjustable gas I would start with a regular carbine buffer.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#3]
There are spring rate calculators online. Easy to put in the correct information and compare springs.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#4]
You are definitely overthinking this one. If you cant tell the difference in spring rate by charging the rifle a few times and comparing the springs then there isn't enough difference in spring rate to have any real impact on bolt unlock time, cambering force, or cyclic rate.

I ran the Faxon 11.5 middy unsuppressed with a regular gas block, full mass carrier, carbine spring, and carbine buffer. It shot soft, locked back on empty, and had nice groups.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#7]
BCM lower came with a good mil-spec spring.  

Use it.

Try the buffer that came with it.  Probably runs fine.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:24:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Given you have an Adj. GB on it... you might be overthinking it.

Do you happen to know the gas port size ? ... or brand of barrel might be as GTG.

Did you buy a known smaller sized gas port 11.5" barrel ?
View Quote

.625 gas port on the barrel and the gas block is also .625
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:27:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Try them all, why not.  
Insert a magazine with 1 round in it to verify bolt hold open on last round.  Be well lubed.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#10]
An adjustable gas block negates the need to mess with springs and buffers.

Use the standard buffer and spring.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:42:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Given you have an Adj. GB on it... you might be overthinking it.

Do you happen to know the gas port size ? ... or brand of barrel might be as GTG.

Did you buy a known smaller sized gas port 11.5" barrel ?

No no

That's the journal at the gas block, meaning the diameter of the barrel where the gas block is installed.

Gas port sizes range (typically) from .065 all the way to .0935 on some old 20" rifles. I'd assume based on the fact it's an 11.5" middy, you're probably sitting around .081 - .089 (ish). If it were set up for suppressed use only, probably more like .075 - .081 if my memory serves me correctly.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 1:11:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Put whatever spring and carbine buffer you want in it. Shut off the gas with your adj gb and go one click at a time until the rifle is running how youd like. Thats the big advantage to a adj gb you can control it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 2:25:41 AM EDT
[#13]
You’re overthinking it.
Buffer selection is critical on FA guns to fix bolt bounce issue
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You’re overthinking it.
Buffer selection is critical on FA guns to fix bolt bounce issue
View Quote

Correct. Also, when using a suppressor. You should be just fine with normal spring and buffer
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top