Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2019 9:02:25 PM EDT
What?

At at 2:20 in, this video by Mil-Comm Products Company advocates putting a very light amount of TW25B Grease in the bore:

Mil-Comm Products Company: https://mil-comm.com

This sounds like a really bad, BAD idea! Any other opinions, even if (especially if!) you disagree?
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 9:12:53 PM EDT
[#1]
They seem to know what they are doing.

Quoted:
What?

At at 2:20 in, this video by Mil-Comm Products Company advocates putting a very light amount of TW25B Grease in the bore:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9aykgQ2lUY

Mil-Comm Products Company: https://mil-comm.com

This sounds like a really bad, BAD idea! Any other opinions, even if (especially if!) you disagree?
View Quote
So, their schtick is simply use a TINY amount, and then push it out, just like we do with CLP or gun oil in the bore.  If you push out almost all the grease with a dry patch, then you are only going to leave in a tiny amount of the carrier lubricant, which won't hurt anything (nor will it help).  Their argument on increasing muzzle velocity is a joke, even if it were true it will be gone after a shot or three, then you have inconsistent muzzle velocity.

Like most gun lubricants.... they are mostly just standard lubricants sold with a lot of snake oil tactics, but they create loyal fanbases.  Just look how many arfcommers defended froglube for years.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 10:18:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I use TW25 on pistol rails.  Not sure I would ever use it inside a barrel.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:53:11 AM EDT
[#3]
More thrust per squeeze.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:20:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh, hell no!!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 8:27:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They seem to know what they are doing.

So, their schtick is simply use a TINY amount, and then push it out, just like we do with CLP or gun oil in the bore.  If you push out almost all the grease with a dry patch, then you are only going to leave in a tiny amount of the carrier lubricant, which won't hurt anything (nor will it help).  Their argument on increasing muzzle velocity is a joke, even if it were true it will be gone after a shot or three, then you have inconsistent muzzle velocity.

Like most gun lubricants.... they are mostly just standard lubricants sold with a lot of snake oil tactics, but they create loyal fanbases.  Just look how many arfcommers defended froglube for years.
View Quote
Ain't that the truth! However, I keep my barrels lightly oiled with a cork-like block so that it won't run down into the action. This is to protect against rust. Before I fire, I run 2-3 patches to get it all out. After all, it is just going to turn into an ass-load of fouling.

I don't get hung up on what brands people use, so long as they are not crap brands, and they are being used properly. The Mobil 1 fans? But for than the stank, I would use it myself, but I'd use it properly. I'm got going to open up the "grease in AR upper/and on BCG" holy-war/can-of-worms, however...

BTW, I know of no better too for applying grease than this:

If we limit this debate to M1s, M1 Carbines, M14, and Ruger Mini-14s and similar rifles, there are places which are grease ONLY. The bolt at the parts where there is sliding. metal-to-metal contact should be greased. But not too much. And not too little.

Another good thing about Mobil 1 grease is as a teaching tool. Too much grease is bad, and new shooters tend to overlube. If you take a dab of Mobil 1 grease and put it on a tiny acid brush, have the trainee spread it out until the red color is no longer visible. That's how much grease to use.

For pins...
A tiny smidgen of oil on, say, the hammer pin will help if live a long and happy life. Use a punch to get it partially out, apply a smidgen of lube to the exposed part of the pin, and use a qtip to get a smidgen in the other side. Tap it back in, wipe off excess, and you are 80 proof.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top