Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2018 10:43:26 AM EDT
So in an attempt to build what i'm viewing as my minimalist hunting rifle. I want to convert to a left side charging handle. I will be removing the charging handle completely and "plugging" this open area. Doing the same as well for the bolt catch assembly which will be a pinch point for me.

I just got my Anderson Manufacturing Lightweight Sport Upper. Which has no forward assist or dust cover door. Now It's time to machine the slot on the left hand side.

So, after doing a decent bit of research, it seems that placing the handle location is more of a preference than something that is a critical dimension. Just need to tap an area to mount my handle towards the front of the BCG. Is this correct?

And for the slot length, i'm assuming it's just the distance the bolt travels? Anyone know what this might be?

Note:

I am using a Light Weight AIM NiB 9310 MPI BCG in case this might matter?
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 12:06:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Perhaps you can consult with this member. very knowledgeable. https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Left-side-charger-project/4-731311/
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 1:09:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I can measure the slot I made when I get home tonight,  but to get the basic distance, I measured the length of pull on my charging handle.  Then adjusted it a bit for the handle I made.  Originally I only tapped one hole in the bolt but it never quite made me comfortable, and since it was a 1" counter bored in a simple knob, that equalled a lot of stress room from shoulder to thread contact. So I made the current handle in my project thread,  shortened the "flex" area down to about 5/15" and added a second bolt.  Much more rigid now. They are 10-32 size btw. My slot is 5/16" wide, but I'm not 100% happy with the firing pin retainer being partially exposed.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 1:35:07 PM EDT
[#3]
How did you decided on where to put the handle? Anywhere in the front area of the bolt carrier will do I assume?

Also, just out of curiosity. Did you mill a flat spot for your handle to seat flat against the bolt. Or machine a radius into your handle to fit the round face of the Bolt carrier?
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 3:20:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I just picked where I thought would be good to put the hole.  Almost messed up tho, I was only thinking of one hole and barely had enough room to drill a second one.  I did mill a radius on the mating surface of the handle too
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 12:20:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How did you decided on where to put the handle? Anywhere in the front area of the bolt carrier will do I assume?

Also, just out of curiosity. Did you mill a flat spot for your handle to seat flat against the bolt. Or machine a radius into your handle to fit the round face of the Bolt carrier?
View Quote
Took some measurements tonight, the slot is

5/16" wide.  
4.450" long

Location of the slot is .750" from the front edge of the receiver, and .500" up from the bottom.

Since I tapped two holes in the bolt, my slot had to be a little longer than if only using one, so you could adjust as needed.

hope that helps
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Disregard. Replying in the other current side-charger thread and it initially cross-posted here.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 7:31:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Took some measurements tonight, the slot is

5/16" wide.  
4.450" long

Location of the slot is .750" from the front edge of the receiver, and .500" up from the bottom.

Since I tapped two holes in the bolt, my slot had to be a little longer than if only using one, so you could adjust as needed.

hope that helps
View Quote
Thank you sir!

That's about what i measured out on mine as well!
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 3:00:29 PM EDT
[#8]
OK, last minute idea change.

Besides being able to keep your "finger on the trigger" to pull the left side charging handle. Why is a left side charging handle more common?

If I go with a right side, I can more easily keep the rifle supported with my left hand while steadying the rifle by pushing it against my shoulder. Also, less material will be removed with the ejection port being on that side.

I guess, last minute, i'm thinking a right side charger is a little more practical.

Or am I missing something?
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 1:14:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OK, last minute idea change.

Besides being able to keep your "finger on the trigger" to pull the left side charging handle. Why is a left side charging handle more common?

If I go with a right side, I can more easily keep the rifle supported with my left hand while steadying the rifle by pushing it against my shoulder. Also, less material will be removed with the ejection port being on that side.

I guess, last minute, i'm thinking a right side charger is a little more practical.

Or am I missing something?
View Quote
Oh sure,  right side is a tad more practical in that the slot cut is easier, and ergonomics if you want to field it like you're saying.  For me the same applies to the left.  It just makes more sense for me.  So if right makes more sense for you,  then that's whats gonna work best.  The poopoo police might tell you or me how wrong we are for side charging,  but whatever.  It's a fun experiment anyways and uppers and Bolt groups have never been cheaper than right now
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#10]
A left side charge / right side ejection is optimum for a right handed shooter in that it provides excellent shouldering maintenance of the weapon through the charging / target acquisition / firing processes  and of course provides minimum chance of tossed brass interfering with firing. The opposite applies to lefties.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A left side charge / right side ejection is optimum for a right handed shooter in that it provides excellent shouldering maintenance of the weapon through the charging / target acquisition / firing processes  and of course provides minimum chance of tossed brass interfering with firing. The opposite applies to lefties.
View Quote
What do you mean here?   "provides excellent shouldering maintenance"

I don't mean that condescending, I just don't know what you mean with your post.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 3:26:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I like GIBBZ non reciprocating side charge upper. The idea of a Hammer cycling that close to my face is not appealing. I originally wanted a side charge for my rifles with long range scopes and not having to reach for the handle
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 10:20:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What do you mean here?   "provides excellent shouldering maintenance"

I don't mean that condescending, I just don't know what you mean with your post.
View Quote
That's cool. What I mean is that in the event charging is necessitated yet you need to stay on target, the side charger greatly increases that by allowing you to "maintain" your shouldered position.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 10:24:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I like GIBBZ non reciprocating side charge upper. The idea of a Hammer cycling that close to my face is not appealing. I originally wanted a side charge for my rifles with long range scopes and not having to reach for the handle
View Quote
I really like mine too. Being a lefty I got the left side brass toss / right hand charge. Hard to beat. I need to remember to order a spare cam pin.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top