Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/25/2019 1:39:02 PM EDT
I am sure this has been asked before but I did a search on the forum and did not see anything.  What do you think of their Ultimate Upper kit.  I have never put together a build before and do not have any tools or know how.  Is this something a novice like me can put together?  Is the quality and price a good deal/great deal/ or no big deal?  If you built one, which caliber did you go with and why?  Thanks, pics would be appreciated also.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 1:43:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Recently got the 6.5 kit.  Very well made.  Good tight fit on everything.  Shoots 3/4 inch at 100 with my old eyes.  Likely better if a better marksman was behind the gun.  Muzzle device is kind of plain, but it works.  Excellent product, would buy again, highly recommended.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, it's a good deal and Yes, you can do it.  
Best part - If you purchase the UU kit, you're eligible to purchase a matching LaRue lower to complete the kit.  
You just enter your Ultimate Upper Order number after you've made your UU purchase.  (And you should totally do it)  https://www.larue.com/products/larue-billet-lowers/

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Assemble-your-own-LOWER-UPPER-FREE-FLOAT-TRIGGER-GAS-BLOCK-Step-by-step-instructions-/4-226782/

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Step-by-step-video-on-how-to-build-your-lower-receiver/4-615304/

You're gonna need some basic tools, and you can beg or borrow some of the more expensive pieces to do it correctly.  Hopefully you already have a bench vise...if not, a Harbor Freight 6" or 8" vise will be plenty.  
Let's be honest, once you're at this stage in the game, you're gonna be doing other builds.  So just budget yourself a couple hundred dollars and pick up the right equipment.  Hopefully you already have a bench vise...if not, a Harbor Freight 6" or 8" vise will be plenty.

Get yourself a set of these for sure - https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/punches/ar-15-armorer-s-punch-set-prod114383.aspx

I'd also recommend a MagPul BEV block.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#3]
There are whole threads on this (as referenced).  I did a 5.56 Pitsol kit.  Easy peasy.  There are a couple of good videos on youtube if you get stuck.  Just remember that torque values change depending on whether you apply the force perpendicularly.  If you do it, but don't want to purchase the lower, let me know and I'll buy the lower from you and throw something in for your trouble.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 5:31:34 PM EDT
[#4]
They are super nice.  I did a 300 BLK.  It is a tight fit on the lower (an Aero Precision) but works fine.  Shoots nice.

I did use a Geissele Reaction Rod which worked well.

I probably will get a Larue lower to go with it.

Thinking about doing another one.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 3:08:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am sure this has been asked before but I did a search on the forum and did not see anything.  What do you think of their Ultimate Upper kit.  I have never put together a build before and do not have any tools or know how.  Is this something a novice like me can put together?  Is the quality and price a good deal/great deal/ or no big deal?  If you built one, which caliber did you go with and why?  Thanks, pics would be appreciated also.
View Quote
I would say it is a "great" deal

They are still offering free assembly on the upper.  They were charging like $150 to have it delivered assembled, but started offering it for free and still have it going

The only thing you would need to assemble is the lower.  There are guides on this site and youtube videos.  It is not a difficult process and minimal tools are needed.  Hammer, punches, screwdriver and you can put one together.  Other useful tools would be knipex pliers to put in the roll pins instead of punches (easier) and a clevis pin to install the pivot pin.  They make an actual tool for this but clevis pin is cheaper.  Harbor freight punches could get the job done but i like my set from real avid (comes with hammer)

If you are worried about assembling the upper send it to someone like John Thomas at Retro Arms works and pay $30 for a pro to do it.  You could also post in the Hometown forum to see if anyone nearby would help out or loan tools
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Do it! I have a 12" Stealth upper.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top