Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2022 2:27:21 PM EDT
I am trying to use this jig and I have watched the below video and a few others. They say use a 5/32 bit. The bit fits in the screw holes to tighten the jig down to the barrel. But 5/32 is too big for the drill guide holes. On the video he is using a 5/32 bit and the bit fits in the guide holes easily. Does anyone know what the correct size bit is? Do I possibly have a new version of the jig?  

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://gunstreamer.com/watch/kaw-valley-precision-ar-15-gas-block-dimpling-jig-1st-look-and-detailed-instructions_SrxqximzEMOxmvd.html&ved=2ahUKEwij092Roqb5AhVermoFHYWmBoYQwqsBegQIIhAB&usg=AOvVaw107J3T61n4KLAWkiWDTu4C

Link Posted: 8/1/2022 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#1]
It is supposed to be a 5/32 drill bit.  Are you sure you have a 5/32 drill bit?
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes. I checked using other 5/32 bits, same thing. A 9/64 bit fits perfect. So i guess I could use the 9/64 to start it then finish with the 5/32. Maybe a quality control issue with new production?  Also the set screws appear to be .480 but the jig only has .470 or .500.    Regardless the .470 matches perfectly to my gas bloc.  I am using an Aero low pro .750 gas bloc if anyone cares to double check those measurements.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes. I checked using other 5/32 bits, same thing. A 9/64 bit fits perfect. So i guess I could use the 9/64 to start it then finish with the 5/32. Maybe a quality control issue with new production?  Also the set screws appear to be .480 but the jig only has .470 or .500.    Regardless the .470 matches perfectly to my gas bloc.  I am using an Aero low pro .750 gas bloc if anyone cares to double check those measurements.
View Quote

The diameter of the dimple isn't that critical so use the bit the fits or open up the hole to fit your bit.  You only need to dimple one screw and the screw hole that is opposite the gas port is universal, so that is the one to dimple if you feel the need to do so.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 11:46:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The diameter of the dimple isn't that critical so use the bit the fits or open up the hole to fit your bit.  You only need to dimple one screw and the screw hole that is opposite the gas port is universal, so that is the one to dimple if you feel the need to do so.
View Quote

Yes I noticed other videos were advising just one dimple so thats what I will do. And also thanks for the info on the universal opposite hole. Not sure why these companies can’t include a simple instruction sheet.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 6:41:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine were a little undersized as well. I forced the bit thru it and it’s works well. It’s sized perfectly now.

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 2:59:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah I just have to think it out. Thought I was going crazy. I used the 9/64 bit to center, then replaced with 5/32. Came out good.  Funny though it still wont go in the hole but it will on the chuck end. I guess due to lack of side cutting?

Anyway it turned out good and on to the next issue and started a new thread. Always something. Thanks to all, esp S4S4U
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top