Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 12:02:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:Yeah, I'd pass on the Kahles then. I hope it never hits the fan, okay I lied, though not so I could shoot stuff, but everything must be worthy imo. Everything.
View Quote
Good luck with your quest for a scope which has never failed.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 3:09:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Good luck with your quest for a scope which has never failed.
View Quote
"Has never failed" is very different from "QA/QC so bad that when the dealer takes it out of the box, the reticle is obviously crooked". You didn't used to hear this stuff about Kahles with HPS and Jeff Huber were their gateway to the US, and during that time, I was a huge Kahles fan, but lately, I've just not heard good stuff.

Otherwise, Kahles doesn't have a reticle I like. If they could stuff a BRT-I reticle in the K16i, they'd have a winner in my book, but this is also a personal thing and YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 3:23:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have/had both. My choice is the Kahles. I had the NX8 and could not get used to the picky eyebox, the tunneling at 1x and the distortion. The NX8 illumination is unreal though, as well as the size and well, its sexier. Buuut, the Kahles has an insanely good view at 1x, has one of, if not the, largest field of view of any 1-6, zero distortion and is just as light, although it is a bit longer. I much prefer the capped turrets of the kahles and while the illumination is not as bright, it is still daylight bright and the clarity/brightness of the scope is unrivaled. The extra 2x of the NX8 is not significant in my eyes. Below is my rifle with both optics, and a picture through the glass at 1x and 6x of both optics. You can see how the scope just fades away on 1x with Kahles. Its like its not even there and that is a good representation of how it appears in real life. The last picture is the NX8 on 8x. That well house is 50 yards away. So while the 8x gets you closer than 6x...its not that big of a deal IMO.  I would only trade my Kahles for another one if they made a 1-8x. Otherwise, its on this rifle forever. My reticle is the 3GR. Hard to pick up on the cell phone pics, but I love it.

NX8 in Geissele Mount
https://i.ibb.co/KqNRHZZ/00100d-PORTRAIT-00100-BURST20180811175133283-COVER.jpg
Kahles in Scalarworks Mount
https://i.ibb.co/kHcvh4L/00100l-PORTRAIT-00100-BURST20181027141550956-COVER-2.jpg
NX8 1x
https://i.ibb.co/HnH1YNn/IMG-20180929-172501.jpg
Khales 1x
https://i.ibb.co/yVHPMd7/IMG-20180929-172921.jpg
NX8 6x
https://i.ibb.co/q0sSvrg/IMG-20180929-172526.jpg
Khales 6x
https://i.ibb.co/YQNnnSv/IMG-20180929-173150.jpg
NX8 8x
https://i.ibb.co/YpnzFfS/IMG-20180929-172545.jpg
View Quote
Looks like the reticles broken in the Kahles.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 3:33:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Can you elaborate? It looks fine to me.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 3:35:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bagging on it for being SFP.

Shrinks when you turn the power up.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 3:54:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
I really don't see the point of FFP on anything with a true 1x. FFP is great for higher powered optics, but when you may be shooting things with the weapon at 25-75 yards...meh
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 4:03:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I really don't see the point of FFP on anything with a true 1x. FFP is great for higher powered optics, but when you may be shooting things with the weapon at 25-75 yards...meh
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is where that stupid bright dot in it comes into play.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 4:48:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Which is where that stupid bright dot in it comes into play.
View Quote
Not the most precise tool.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 8:37:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, its broken. Doesn't work at all.

Link Posted: 12/12/2018 9:36:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:Not the most precise tool.
View Quote
Which is why you turn it down -- one thing I like about the Swaro z8i system (BRT-I reticle) is that it has an open center but there is a slightly shaded circle where the dot appears when it's on.

When shooting for precision I can turn the dot from full bright to off with the flick of a switch, place the target in the center of that tiny shaded area (1/2" paster at 100yd centers up nicely) and make a very precise shot.

If I want a little illumination (say shooting long range into shaded area) I'll use the night-mode side of the 3-way illum switch to tone down the brightness when making long shots in competition, then either leave it as is for close shots or with a swipe of the thumb (probably while cranking the zoom from 8 to 1) restore my usual bright dot setting on day mode.

Some people don't like the Swaro light setup, but in my opinion it's ideal.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 11:51:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Which is why you turn it down -- one thing I like about the Swaro z8i system (BRT-I reticle) is that it has an open center but there is a slightly shaded circle where the dot appears when it's on.

When shooting for precision I can turn the dot from full bright to off with the flick of a switch, place the target in the center of that tiny shaded area (1/2" paster at 100yd centers up nicely) and make a very precise shot.

If I want a little illumination (say shooting long range into shaded area) I'll use the night-mode side of the 3-way illum switch to tone down the brightness when making long shots in competition, then either leave it as is for close shots or with a swipe of the thumb (probably while cranking the zoom from 8 to 1) restore my usual bright dot setting on day mode.

Some people don't like the Swaro light setup, but in my opinion it's ideal.
View Quote
Yeah, it's SFP, though, which is exactly my point.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top