BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/28/2021 10:52:04 AM EDT
I've been following this and just saw this video in case any of you haven't seen it.
https://www.facebook.com/SteveFosterCompetitiveShooter/videos/346837407021057/

Looks really nice.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 10:57:59 AM EDT
[#1]
So it's an AR/MP5 mash-up??  Pretty cool
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:28:36 AM EDT
[#2]
A client wanted me to design a new 9mm AR carbine and I told him roller delayed blow back is the way to go. He said he just wanted straight blow back and Glock mags which I too told him was dumb.

They have the right idea but using Glock mags are moronic since they are hard to load and malfunction more than 2 position feed magazines.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:46:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like it could be a contender, wonder what MSRP will be.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:58:27 AM EDT
[#4]
That thing looks like it would be a lot of fun. Interesting to see msrp on this.  I agree not a fan of Glock magazines but I understand why they go with them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 1:11:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Glock?  

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 2:57:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't want to use Glock mags either.  I am hoping I can use my Endomags so I can slap on an M16 lower.....but I'm suspecting that they moved some of the action back and it won't work.
Also not sure if they made the carrier FA capable.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 10:49:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Yeah they really done fucked up with that one.

MP5, Scorp, or MPX mags would have been the way to go.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:16:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:  Yeah they really done fucked up with that one.

MP5, Scorp, or MPX mags would have been the way to go.
View Quote

Ha!  No one wants to buy new mags when they have a dozen Glock mags on the shelf - including pre-bans in ban states.  MP5 mags are ridiculously expensive; Scorpion & MPX mags haven't been on the market for more than a decade.

Is Glock the objectively better mag?  No.  It is the market choice for consumer 9x19mm PCCs - even Ruger's PCC runs Glock mags.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:22:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Hope they have a hardened steel trunnion in the aluminum upper receiver or they managed to copy the replaceable locking shoulders of the STG58.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:50:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've been following this and just saw this video in case any of you haven't seen it.
https://www.facebook.com/SteveFosterCompetitiveShooter/videos/346837407021057/

Looks really nice.
View Quote

It’s ridiculous!
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 8:04:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Meh……doesn’t interest me much
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 8:20:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Considering the commercial production figures to date from MEAN Arms and Angstad Arms of their respective roller delay firearms, I'm not too excited.

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:01:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Considering the commercial production figures to date from MEAN Arms and Angstad Arms of their respective roller delay firearms, I'm not too excited.

View Quote

Yes, sadly.  CMMG seems to be the only company capable of bringing a novel, AR-based 9mm, system to market (and it takes a standard AR lower).  No standard lower = no care.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:07:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A client wanted me to design a new 9mm AR carbine and I told him roller delayed blow back is the way to go. He said he just wanted straight blow back and Glock mags which I too told him was dumb.

They have the right idea but using Glock mags are moronic since they are hard to load and malfunction more than 2 position feed magazines.
View Quote

Glock mags have become the standard. From a manufacturers standpoint you can’t ignore that.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:43:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes, sadly.  CMMG seems to be the only company capable of bringing a novel, AR-based 9mm, system to market (and it takes a standard AR lower).  No standard lower = no care.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even worse; the CMMG RDB system, as I understand it, to get the full benefit requires a non-standard, over length ejection port upper.

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:47:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Any non facebook video?
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:52:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Any non facebook video?
View Quote
Just found it last night
First review.. the new JP rifles JP 5
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:55:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Even worse; the CMMG RDB system, as I understand it, to get the full benefit requires a non-standard, over length ejection port upper.

View Quote
No...it isn't over length.  It is a standard length upper.  They do recommend it to be larger vertically.  (I use a .458 SOCOM upper)....but many people use standard uppers with no issues.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:54:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
No...it isn't over length.  It is a standard length upper.  They do recommend it to be larger vertically.  (I use a .458 SOCOM upper)....but many people use standard uppers with no issues.
View Quote

I have the upper from CMMG - no issues with mine.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:13:09 AM EDT
[#20]
I like the "ingenuity" of combining the two, but I am so sick of dealing with lockers and checking degree of locking pieces on Mp5s I rarely shoot them.  I really wouldn't look forward to dealing with that crap on an ar15 when changing ammo, barrel length, etc.

However, it is cool that they did it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:21:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Some knowledge in here.... my question is why aren’t Colt 9mm mags the standard?

What doesn’t the Colt do well?
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:41:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Some knowledge in here.... my question is why aren’t Colt 9mm mags the standard?

View Quote

Keep the rounds in the mag when dropped

easily load by hand

LRBHO is sporadic at best

In other words, it's doesn't really do anything well.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:50:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Single feed double stack mags are a poor choice too.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:05:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Glock mags are a good compromise based on price, availability, popularity and commonality. I would like to see more carbines take the Sig 320 mag.

I sold an AR 9  because it used the Colt-style mag.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:06:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Ha!  No one wants to buy new mags when they have a dozen Glock mags on the shelf - including pre-bans in ban states.  MP5 mags are ridiculously expensive; Scorpion & MPX mags haven't been on the market for more than a decade.

Is Glock the objectively better mag?  No.  It is the market choice for consumer 9x19mm PCCs - even Ruger's PCC runs Glock mags.
View Quote

I find it amazing how many people think that everybody owns a F'n glock
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:07:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't want to use Glock mags either.  I am hoping I can use my Endomags so I can slap on an M16 lower.....but I'm suspecting that they moved some of the action back and it won't work.
Also not sure if they made the carrier FA capable.
View Quote

I'm with ya.  If it uses a standard lower without modification so I can use my Endo's, I may be interested.  If not, movin' on.....
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:14:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just found it last night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRJvzUVWvSw
View Quote

Cool gamer gun...and cool that they took the time to make it. Hopefully they make some models not geared towards games though.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:34:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:  Some knowledge in here.... my question is why aren’t Colt 9mm mags the standard?

View Quote

Fit in pistols.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:42:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Ha!  No one wants to buy new mags when they have a dozen Glock mags on the shelf - including pre-bans in ban states.  MP5 mags are ridiculously expensive; Scorpion & MPX mags haven't been on the market for more than a decade.

You don't have to own a Glock to have Glock mags.  Ruger, Mossberg, a dozen AR-9 manufacturers, KelTec - all make guns that take Glock mags.  The next most popular 9x19mm mag on the market is likely the Beretta 92 mag.  3rd is probably the Browning HiPower, 4th might be the SIG P226 - based on extant magwells in the US.

There were 9x19mm carbines in the 90's that took Beretta magazines.  Browning HiPower based on length of production & total # of HiPowers & clones in the US.  SIG P226 is boosted by all the Taurui that take that mag, including the DA/SA predecessor the the G2/G3.  I suspect total AR-9 production that takes the Colt-cut Uzi mags to be less than the sum total imports of SIG P226 & Taurus G2/G3 & its predecessor.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the clarification.
I don't use LRBHO and I'm too deep into over 20 Glock mags with the respective adapter, and over 40 unmodified Uzi mags with the respective adapter to consider anything other than the blowback system I've had since 2008 (had the bolt cut for Glock mags in 2017).  I have upgraded to using hydraulic buffers and +power recoil springs to mitigate recoil and muzzle flip somewhat.  Good enough for recreational shooting which is all I do.
ETA: And I switch uppers between 9mm, .45 ACP, and 5.56 without doing any changes in the lower.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

ETA: And I switch uppers between 9mm, .45 ACP, and 5.56 without doing any changes in the lower.
View Quote
How are you doing no changes in the lower when switching between 5.56 and 9mm and .45ACP?   I thought you were using Glock and UZI mags.  Not sure what you are doing for .45ACP.  
Sounds like you need to change out at least some kind of mag block.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 2:47:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Some knowledge in here.... my question is why aren't Colt 9mm mags the standard?

What doesn't the Colt do well?
View Quote
Have you ever dropped a fully loaded Colt mag?   They fountain all the rounds out.

I have plenty of Glock, UZI and Colt mags and will buy new mags if I must to have a delayed blowback 9mm setup that will work with a RR or RDIAS.....which I did when the CMMG came out.  Initially used their Glock lower then switched to Endomags.

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:  How are you doing no changes in the lower when switching between 5.56 and 9mm and .45ACP?   I thought you were using Glock and UZI mags.  Not sure what you are doing for .45ACP.  
View Quote

Says the guy running Endomags, lol.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
How are you doing no changes in the lower when switching between 5.56 and 9mm and .45ACP?   I thought you were using Glock and UZI mags.  Not sure what you are doing for .45ACP.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To clarify, using the same buffer, recoil spring, and no spacer in the buffer tube (aka receiver extension).  Push the standard mag release button for magwell swaps for the Uzi and the Glock mags; Oly Arms mags (and upper) for .45 ACP.  So no changes to the lower components, per se.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 4:28:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

To clarify, using the same buffer, recoil spring, and no spacer in the buffer tube (aka receiver extension).  Push the standard mag release button for magwell swaps for the Uzi and the Glock mags; Oly Arms mags (and upper) for .45 ACP.  So no changes to the lower components, per se.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is what I figured...with Endomags, I can make zero changes in my lower when going from 556 to 9mm.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 4:32:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  How are you doing no changes in the lower when switching between 5.56 and 9mm and .45ACP?   I thought you were using Glock and UZI mags.  Not sure what you are doing for .45ACP.  

Yep.  I really like the Endomags.  I really just want a roller delayed blowback to run with the AR platform.  Was really hoping for the Mean Arms roller delayed setup but doesn't seem like that is going to happen.

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 4:59:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That is what I figured...with Endomags, I can make zero changes in my lower when going from 556 to 9mm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The difference in the manual of arms (because of the mag release location change and lack of 9mm LRBHO) when using magwell adapters seems to be the thing most disconcerting to new users. I often stretch an o-ring over the standard mag release button to prevent inadvertent magwell dropping. The Oly mags do activate the LRBHO most of the time, but not 100%.  As a casual, recreational shooter with a huge stack of legacy 9mm mags, the upgrades to get 100% commonality aren't worth it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 5:00:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Needs a forward charging handle and some slap action.  Or at least a side charger.  Get rid of that damn AR sling shot charging handle.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Needs a forward charging handle and some slap action.  Or at least a side charger.  Get rid of that damn AR sling shot charging handle.
View Quote
Funny how you can't please everyone.   I personally don't like side chargers.   There are things I'm not crazy about with the JP-5 either but I may pick one up if I think it will work with a RDIAS.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:10:53 PM EDT
[#40]
I'd like to see the jp5 with cz scorpion mags.  Heck I want a mpx that takes scorpion mags.  Palmetto did it right when they set the akv to use scorpion mags.  Then they released an improved scorpion 35rnd mag at a cheaper price.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:57:41 PM EDT
[#41]
I didn't wait for the roller ARs and got a Stribog A3 with an aluminum Scorpion lower, still also want to try CMMG RBG with a Colt lower.  The more 9mm options without having to resort to janky Gl**k mags the better, I hope a proper mag roller setup comes out for ARs some day.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 8:45:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Interesting. Years ago somebody here used MP5 parts and built an "AR9". I think it used MP5 magazines too.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#43]
So they kept the AR charging handle, BHO and maybe the buffer tube too. The three things that should be changed.

Doesn’t matter, I don’t have any PCC interest anyway.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:23:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is something to be said for familiarity of platform.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:43:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's something to be said about how lame AR charging handles are. I understand your point but for most shooters not everything needs to be an AR.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 5:54:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
So they kept the AR charging handle, BHO and maybe the buffer tube too. The three things that should be changed.

Doesn't matter, I don't have any PCC interest anyway.
View Quote
I'm probably in the minority but I want the buffer tube so I can tune the cyclic rate by using different buffers and springs.   JP is all about tuning so makes sense why they would retain the tube...so they would want you to put a JP SCS in there.  
I also want LRBHO.  
Don't mind the CH either.  
Would like just about any other mag that is double feed.   I own zero Scorpion mags but would buy them if this thing was fed by Scorpion mags.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 6:18:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Interesting. Years ago somebody here used MP5 parts and built an "AR9". I think it used MP5 magazines too.
View Quote
I think this what you are talking about.  He did it using Colt mags not MP5 mags.  Said it was a major pain and would never do it again.

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 7:34:02 AM EDT
[#48]
It's JP so it'll run well and be well thought out.

It may also cost a trillion dollars.

I want one.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:33:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

There's something to be said about how lame AR charging handles are. I understand your point but for most shooters not everything needs to be an AR.
View Quote

And then there are Scorpion, SP5, Stribog, etc, etc, etc
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm probably in the minority but I want the buffer tube so I can tune the cyclic rate by using different buffers and springs...
View Quote

I want the buffer tube so that I can de-tune the recoil system so that it can handle 9mm, .45 ACP, 5.56 and formerly 7.62x39.  Operational for all, most likely optimal for none; but simple - no 'this for that and those for the other' parts to keep track of.
But I do have an OA-93 upper that I only use on a buffer tubeless AR-15 pistol lower, which I also use with a 4.5" bbl. .22LR upper. So maybe I suffer from cognitive dissonance.
MHO, YMMV, etc.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top