BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 85
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 9:48:28 AM EDT
[#1]
It’s as black as the furniture lol good reference is rear sight adjustment. It’s the same color as the lower so there’s a big difference
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 9:59:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: seand1111] [#2]
looks like different shades of Gray.

The Gray's for these kinda remind me of the DDC and all its variations for Geissele
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:31:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

Dug the handguards out this morning.  Right is NOS, left is decent used.  Will try to finish the rear sight tonight.  Front sight has a small but noticeable cant, will see if I can get pics tonight.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:00:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LineHaul:

Uhhh, the Brownells uppers have had just as many problems in the past as PSA/H&R….

Will you also report PSA and Brownells to the local Sheriff’s Office and Dpt of Business in a effort to “torpedo” them for selling out of spec uppers?  
View Quote

Sir, this will need to be reported to the Coast Guard or Navy.  We at the Podunk Sheriff's Office do not as of yet have any water craft.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:30:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Does anyone know how well the Norrell’s gray-black flat matches up to the H&R anodizing?
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:43:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/84655/IMG_20230526_104319_201_jpg-2829605.JPG

Dug the handguards out this morning.  Right is NOS, left is decent used.  Will try to finish the rear sight tonight.  Front sight has a small but noticeable cant, will see if I can get pics tonight.
View Quote

Won't get pics tonight, but got HKFB to see it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Uhhh, the Brownells uppers have had just as many problems in the past as PSA/H&R….

Will you also report PSA and Brownells to the local Sheriff’s Office and Dpt of Business in a effort to “torpedo” them for selling out of spec uppers?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mikeoutwest:

Are you kidding?   PSA /H&R is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you’re gonna get.   Canted or clocked FSB, and uppers you have to sand & file on to “fit” them to your lower.    Half their offerings are blemished items.    It’s embarrassing.  They can’t find their own dick with both hands and a flashlight.    Brownells just dropped A1 and C7 uppers, and they also have retro barrels.   I have a sizable order in.  Hopefully they have the OOS upper issue resolved.  

Mikeoutwest you need to lighten up. Between your posts in this thread and those re: Shark Arms A1 uppers, I can’t decide if you’re just young and inexperienced or old and super curmudgeonly. Seriously, chill out. This is a hobby. If it ceases to be fun, maybe consider something else.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 3:14:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Looks like a slightly darker shade of gray on the upper.

Still looks good.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 3:43:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LineHaul] [#9]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:

Mikeoutwest you need to lighten up. Between your posts in this thread and those re: Shark Arms A1 uppers, I can’t decide if you’re just young and inexperienced or old and super curmudgeonly. Seriously, chill out. This is a hobby. If it ceases to be fun, maybe consider something else.
View Quote

Bruh, show the man his due respect!  Didn’t you know he was a LEO armorer for 20 years AND he took a class with Sully in the 1980’s?!  Mr.Mike knows his shit bro.

Back on topic, I am really hoping some stripped a1 uppers pop up for sale this holiday weekend!  That would be cool
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 3:49:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 8:12:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mikeoutwest] [#11]
The church of PSA
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Yeah, you’re right.   Don’t vote me off the island; I’ll try to reel it in.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JoshNC:

Yeah, you’re right.   Don’t vote me off the island; I’ll try to reel it in.  

Welcome back brother!  You must have had a Snickers Bar. lol
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Got my A1 stock, but it didn't come with an A1 stock screw. FYI. No biggy as they can be ordered.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 12:22:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By twistedcomrade:
Got my A1 stock, but it didn't come with an A1 stock screw. FYI. No biggy as they can be ordered.
View Quote

It says they do not come with one.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:14:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By mtomso7464:

It says they do not come with one.
View Quote
Yeah, I didn't see that. No biggy though.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:25:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mikeoutwest] [#16]
Go Team
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

I've cut down A2 length screws too many times to count, works great.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Black complete A1 blems are up.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#19]
What is everyone building with their 635’s?

Or are you waiting for uppers?
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 1:12:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Trunkmonkey4:

View Quote

I retrofitted a CMMG RDB system with mine. Chopped the barrel to 10.3” and used a Spikes 9mm flattop upper.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Trunkmonkey4:

View Quote

Waiting .

Sarge
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 1:46:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Used one as a dedicated 9mm for my R0633 DOE Upper.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 9:22:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By mike_nds:
The gray will vary. Aluminum will do what it wants.

These parts were from the same material batch, and anodized at the same time.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/91277/Latch_Ano_JPG-492396.jpg
View Quote

This is correct.  I deal with architectural aluminum and all selected colors have an “acceptable range” if anodized. Even if it is from the same billet log and anodized at the same time.  It is one reason Architectural aluminum has been moving toward paint in lieu of anodizing.  To provide more consistency, along with the fact paint is easier to touch up than anodized.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:20:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Where is Mike's retro thread? It fell outta my subscriptions and I can't find it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:32:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By neight:
Where is Mike's retro thread? It fell outta my subscriptions and I can't find it.
View Quote
https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/Mike-s-OFFICIAL-HandR-Retro-thread/301-301583/

Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:35:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#27]
@mike_nds  - is there usually a delay in order processing or just the website not being updated?  I have an order in for gray Commando lowers from 5/16 which is still "Processing" and an order a week later that's already been shipped and delivered for an XM16E1 lower.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#29]
The gray will vary. Aluminum will do what it wants.

These parts were from the same material batch, and anodized at the same time.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/91277/Latch_Ano_JPG-492396.jpg
View Quote

Uppers and lowers didn't match perfectly from Colt 60 years ago and Uncle Sam allowed a varience.

Link Posted: 5/30/2023 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#30]

There were some gray Commando lowers that were oversold. Yours is probably one of those.

I have some out for ano right now. Might be a few weeks.
View Quote

thanks!   With PSA not updating shipping info, it's a roll of the dice whether that or this
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Mike, do you have any timeline on when 723 uppers will be available again? I had no fun money when they were last out.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Anyone else notice their pistol grip being slightly canted to one side?  Probably just got one that was molded slightly off but it’s driving me nuts.  I’m assuming the grips are also a Brownells product?  I so, I’ll just order another to try.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 9:29:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Mike, do you have any timeline on when 723 uppers will be available again? I had no fun money when they were last out.
View Quote

They are up right now.  Wow you have some pull with Mike
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 9:57:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By mtomso7464:

They are up right now.  Wow you have some pull with Mike
View Quote

Saw that. Snagged one.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#35]

Saw that. Snagged one.
View Quote

Been waiting on an upper to finish my 733.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:45:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: twistedcomrade] [#36]
If they ever make an upper like these in 1/12, I'll grab another one.  I think I read that they were going to do a run of C7 uppers later in the year. If they do, then I'd grab one of those as well.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 9:23:59 AM EDT
[#37]
A2 uppers were up shortly but I missed them. Did not see the price, they are complete with rear sight, not made in China.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 9:37:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By A-10:
A2 uppers were up shortly but I missed them. Did not see the price, they are complete with rear sight, not made in China.
View Quote

$210
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 11:04:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Cowbell:

$210
View All Quotes

$210

Thanks, complete not bad.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 11:26:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By A-10:  A2 uppers were up shortly but I missed them. Did not see the price, they are complete with rear sight, not made in China.
View Quote

How are we gonna make our Iranian clones w/o Chinese handguards?
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 11:30:43 AM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

$210

Not at all!
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 6:29:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bravo_Delta] [#42]
Error
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 10:32:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryan793] [#43]
Grey blem m16a1 lower up, managed to snag one
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Just got my 723 Blem upper. I dropped it on an Anderson lower. Seems to match up well. I love the look, feel, and weight of this rifle. 6.6 lbs according to my scale. Hopefully will get to my property tomorrow to shoot it. Mike, y'all are killing it at H&R and PSA. Keep up the good work.

Link Posted: 6/10/2023 7:58:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Gray M16A1 non blems are up! Finally snagged one!
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:50:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m24shooter] [#46]
I ordered some H&R gray parts to replace the black parts I used in my build (before the H&R parts were in production).

A "modern" black CH on the far left. The middle CH and the one on the right are the H&R grays. The middle one is actually more gray than comes across in this pic.

Modern mag button on the left, gray version on the right.

Modern trigger guard left, H&R right.

My A1 build with the parts replaced. The charging handle that was darker went to this build. It fit the finish of this rifle a little better. The mag button and trigger guard are excellent. The selector switch from H&R was black, so I hit it and the trigger and hammer pins with some naval jelly to take the black down. In doing this, there was no in between; once the jelly was on there and worked in it just went from black to gray after it was cleaned off. I have pivot and takedown pins, a teardrop FA, and another ejection port cover coming that I'll probably use the naval jelly on as well.

My E2 build. Same parts replaced. This one got the lighter of the H&R parts. The same parts on this one got the naval jelly as the A1 build. I do not have an ejection port door as this one has the small pad, and I need to hunt one of those down.

ETA:
For comparison, this is what they looked like before the gray/refinished parts-

Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:24:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By m24shooter:
I ordered some H&R gray parts to replace the black parts I used in my build (before the H&R parts were in production).
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18486/IMG_4219-2844637.jpg
A "modern" black CH on the far left. The middle CH and the one on the right are the H&R grays. The middle one is actually more gray than comes across in this pic.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18486/IMG_4220-2844639.jpg
Modern mag button on the left, gray version on the right.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18486/IMG_4221-2844640.jpg
Modern trigger guard left, H&R right.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18486/IMG_4226-2846259.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18486/IMG_4229-2846258.jpg
My A1 build with the parts replaced. The charging handle that was darker went to this build. It fit the finish of this rifle a little better. The mag button and trigger guard are excellent. The selector switch from H&R was black, so I hit it and the trigger and hammer pins with some naval jelly to take the black down. In doing this, there was no in between; once the jelly was on there and worked in it just went from black to gray after it was cleaned off. I have pivot and takedown pins, a teardrop FA, and another ejection port cover coming that I'll probably use the naval jelly on as well.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18486/IMG_4227-2846261.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18486/IMG_4228-2846260.jpg
My E2 build. Same parts replaced. This one got the lighter of the H&R parts. The same parts on this one got the naval jelly as the A1 build. I do not have an ejection port door as this one has the small pad, and I need to hunt one of those down.

ETA:
For comparison, this is what they looked like before the gray/refinished parts-
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18486/IMG_3603-2715414.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18486/DBEB8514-9C16-4297-87CD-8427CA86398E-2543045.jpg
View Quote

They look good,nice attention to detail.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By StanleySpidowski:

They look good,nice attention to detail.
View Quote

Thanks, I really wasn't sure about the whole retro rifle thing and then once I started looking at availability fortunately Mike and H&R were really taking off. I'm extremely happy with how these two have turned out, although the black spots really stuck out. Up until now it was more of a background nuisance, not really motivated to change it, and then I decided to go ahead and change the parts out. Once I get the remainder of the parts done, I'll be looking for the new XM177E2 lowers to come in so I can switch that out for what it should be, and then I'll probably build up another retro rifle from the leftover lower. I don't think I'm going to mess with the rear sight adjustment wheel, but may I will eventually.
And for those worried about the anodizing shade, all the parts were definitely more on the gray end. The charging handle in the one pic shows up more black, but I think that was the lighting at the time I took that pic; the sun was definitely going down and it was late evening. Once I put the darker charging handle with the A1 rifle build I think you can see the color match much better in the pic that shows it installed. It is a very near match for that set of receivers. The mag buttons and trigger guards are without doubt gray and very closely match the H&R uppers I have. Some went with one set better than the other.
Regardless, all of the H&R gray parts look better on the gray receivers than the modern black finish parts.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 11:56:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rbgonoles] [#49]
Got my Grey A1 and one black for a Mk12.  I’ll feel a bit sad removing the NoDak A1. I remember waiting a year to get it. Might just do another build.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:18:28 PM EDT
[#50]
I put over 80 rounds through my blem 723 upper today. Sixty rounds of Wolf Poly 55gn and twenty Winchester XM193 plus some loose PPU 55gr. Zero malfunctions and I didn't have to touch the irons at all. The only minor downside is I have to shoot left handed because I have a lazy right eye. The Wolf Poly consistently hit my cheek with every round ejecting at 530 or so. The Winchester and PPU ejected at 3 o'clock. I'm using a generic carbine buffer, FYI. Overall I am beyond stoked with this build and will be buying more of them.
Page / 85
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top