Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/12/2024 2:27:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ssimo]
Hi guys, i just took my new toy (colt cr6921) to the range, shoot it with sellier & bellot 223 factory fmj ammo. Zero issues, accuracy seems good with 2 MOA groups using an aimpoint comp m3 with 2 moa dot, the only thing is that I noticed a little bit of paint (or better say "finish") already chipped off on the back of the edge of the brass deflector. I know it is no big deal and i know that the brass deflector is there to.. deflect brass and it will get some finish wear overtime but it never happened to me so quickly and not in that location so i was curious: is this to be expected?

Brass looks fine, strong and repeateable ejection at 4 o'clock, normal recoil impulse. There were some regular brass marks on the front of the brass deflector with no paint chipping off

Pic attached
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:33:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Touch it up with a paint pen.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Was the upper new or new to you? Shouldn't be paint on a upper. Looks off to me.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:40:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ssimo] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FOX_OSCAR_hook:
Was the upper new or new to you? Shouldn't be paint on a upper. Looks off to me.
View Quote

The one you see that from the pic could look like a rough paint job is not paint, it's ballistol oil. The upper is new, the whole rifle is a new in sealed colt box colt cr6921 with all the cage code and the stuff, from a reputate gunsmith here in Milan, italy
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:42:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By DoubleTaps:
Touch it up with a paint pen.
View Quote

Why should i?
Being an aluminum part, even without paint it will not rust right? I don't care about a cosmetic detail like this on a rifle i will use a lot, i was just asking myself (and you) if it is normal to get paint chipping off after only a few rounds or if maybe there is a issue with the finish
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#5]
The upper is hard anodized not painted so I highly doubt the ejecting brass caused that.

That brass deflector hit something harder..

if the damage was not there out of the box it was caused later by OP

or before the purchase someone (the mfg, the proof house or the gun shop) touched it up with a sharpie that was later removed by the solvents used by OP
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:11:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Frens:
The upper is hard anodized not painted so I highly doubt the ejecting brass caused that.

That brass deflector hit something harder..

if the damage was not there out of the box it was caused later by OP

or before the purchase someone (the mfg, the proof house or the gun shop) touched it up with a sharpie that was later removed by the solvents used by OP
View Quote

It literally appeared during the first shooting session, it wasn't there before going to the range. The rifle was never drop and handled with care. Amd the location of the ding seems to suggest it was from brass no? The only thing i remember is that, because of the structure of the range, the brass was hitting a wall and bouncing back on me and probably on the rifle but that would still be brass!

So it seems like there is an actual issue with the finish on this rifle, my usual luck 😂
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#7]
It looks like the light is reflecting on the edge of the brass deflector but, from what I can see the brass has been making the marks on the deflector.
Totally normal in my opinion.
All mine gave brass marks on the deflector and it's nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:40:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Nobody69s:
It looks like the light is reflecting on the edge of the brass deflector but, from what I can see the brass has been making the marks on the deflector.
Totally normal in my opinion.
All mine gave brass marks on the deflector and it's nothing to worry about.
View Quote

Brass marks on the deflector are something i am used to and they were there and, as usual, the just come off wiping them with clp. That said, that one in the pic is not a brass mark, it is a ding in the finish, i guarantee 100%. This didn't look normal because I never experienced it with any of my other colts so I asked..

I don't like the fact that future brass strikes in that place could chip the finish off even more but it's ok. I just accept that, if a gun is defective, it will end up in my hands soon or late
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:41:54 PM EDT
[#9]
The guns fine, don't sweat it....run it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:44:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4BlackRifle] [#10]
Bumps and dings on Colt AR's is not that uncommon.     The Colt rifle is a working mans tool, and not a collectible.

Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black does work.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:45:06 PM EDT
[#11]
It's not unusual for Colts to come from the factory with little finish nicks and dings. That is also one of the farthest protruding parts of the upper receiver and pretty much every AR that you'll find in a military armory, or even just the most used ones that you have, will wear the anodizing color in that area.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#12]
That's basically the furthest protruding point on that side of the rifle. Probably not from shooting. My guess is the rifle was laid down on the bench or it happened in a case.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah when i bought this i choose it between 3 others. The other two had scratches from the factory or the proof house. One of the three even had some yellow paint (!!) under the barrel ahah

That said, this one didn't have that ding before shooting it. The finish should not have week points since it is not handmade, it should be uniform. So the
Weird. So the consensus here is that this is not due to brass hitting the deflector.. i don't know, I just hope the finish on the rifle is not somehow detective Nd will wear like this elsewhere
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:54:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:
That's basically the furthest protruding point on that side of the rifle. Probably not from shooting. My guess is the rifle was laid down on the bench or it happened in a case.
View Quote

I only lean it on a soft shooting rest and the case is a soft one.. weird
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:01:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Honestly you probably didn’t noticed it was there until after the range. I have that same wearing on that spot but it seems to be running from the carry bag.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:05:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Damn guys you were right, it was already there before statting shooting. I sali it in a pic i took of the rfile i sent to a girl before starting shooting ahah

That's weird, i never bumped the rifle and always handled it with care, it must have came from the factory like that.

Good to know, unusual wear is much more worrying than a ding from the factory.

At colt they are animals lol
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:06:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Just so you understand, the receiver has no finish on it.  It's anodized, which is an acid bath treatment, which creates a significantly hardened "skin."  There's literally nothing to "chip" off, only get scratched or gouged.  If it penetrates through the hardened layer, you'll see shiny aluminum.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:12:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#18]
It's not a painted or coated. Anodizing is a surface conversion. It does not chip.

Spent brass does not impact the deflector in that area.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:14:06 PM EDT
[#19]
So is is normal for colt ARs to be scratched and dinged from the factory? That is funny but i actually like the fact that they treat them as tools riggt from the factory

Probably they just lean components on each other without much care
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah i understand.. basically a little chunk of aluminum went flying lol
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#21]
They get handled a bit....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:22:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:22:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Jmo371:
The guns fine, don't sweat it....run it.
View Quote

This

It isn’t a Gucci bolt gun with shiny bluing and exotic wood.

It is a weapon meant to be tossed down the proverbial driveway.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:24:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ssimo:

Wtf, is that colt factory?

They literally don't give a fuck
View Quote

They are treated like hammers before ever getting boxed.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Yes.

War tools.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

military grade!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:55:24 PM EDT
[#27]
A small mark like that could easily be. from laying the rifle on a shooting bench, bumping up against another rifle in a vault, or rubbing against a magazine somewhere.  I wouldn't worry about it.  

It can't be paint chipping because there isn't paint unless it was an unusual upper that someone painted or had coated.  It looks more like a place where the anodizing was scraped, worn or rubbed off.  It wouldn't bother me in the least.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:59:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Factory 6921….perfection!  

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#29]
So is is normal for colt ARs to be scratched and dinged from the factory? That is funny but i actually like the fact that they treat them as tools riggt from the factory

Probably they just lean components on each other without much care
View Quote

Colt builds them to be tools.

Many of their customers buy them as collectibles.

It's just another one of their quirks. Even a NIB or mint condition Colt AR won't have a perfect finish most of the time
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:22:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By AK-12:

Colt builds them to be tools.

Many of their customers buy them as collectibles.

It's just another one of their quirks. Even a NIB or mint condition Colt AR won't have a perfect finish most of the time
View Quote

This was new in box in fact
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By 18B30:
Factory 6921….perfection!  

View Quote

Yeah luckily we can buy them here, I have 3
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:29:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By jdk1:
Just so you understand, the receiver has no finish on it.  It's anodized, which is an acid bath treatment, which creates a significantly hardened "skin."  There's literally nothing to "chip" off, only get scratched or gouged.  If it penetrates through the hardened layer, you'll see shiny aluminum.
View Quote

Anodizing is a surface conversion that hardens the exterior of the aluminum. Just because the dye layer is worn through does not mean the anodizing is.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#33]

Brass marks on the deflector are something i am used to and they were there and, as usual, the just come off wiping them with clp. That said, that one in the pic is not a brass mark, it is a ding in the finish, i guarantee 100%. This didn't look normal because I never experienced it with any of my other colts so I asked..

I don't like the fact that future brass strikes in that place could chip the finish off even more but it's ok. I just accept that, if a gun is defective, it will end up in my hands soon or late
View Quote
Now that I'm on my computer I agree that it's a ding in the finish.
I don't understand how though because it's anodized, isn't it?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:37:17 PM EDT
[#34]
If you actually plan on shooting and using it it's going to keep getting dinged and scratched anyways

Doesn't look like it's from brass. Just a small mark from bumping into something.

It's fine. As others have said, birchwood casey alumiblack if you are bothered by it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:55:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Good point.  I was thinking about scratches of deep dings, but its good for the OP to understand that he can see shiny wear and know its still good to go!  Contrary to the anti-AR crowd, they are awfully tough and accurate rifles.  Some of those threadbare Vietnam M16s and still going.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Nobody69s:
Now that I'm on my computer I agree that it's a ding in the finish.
I don't understand how though because it's anodized, isn't it?
View Quote

Yeah i just learned it so i am not worried anymore. It's ok, the marl was probably there from the factory
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:58:51 AM EDT
[#37]

Yeah i just learned it so i am not worried anymore. It's ok, the marl was probably there from the factory
View Quote

If that’s the only scratch on the gun The proof house it probably the culprit.. they have to test fire the gun and add a good amount of extra markings to the barrel, bolt, upper and lower receivers.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:59:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Frens:

If that’s the only scratch on the gun The proof house it probably the culprit.. they have to test fire the gun and add a good amount of extra markings to the barrel, bolt, upper and lower receivers.
View Quote

I have no idea but what i can aay is that I don't care, i was qorried there was an issue with the finish and that's not the case
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:25:54 AM EDT
[#39]

I have no idea but what i can aay is that I don't care, i was qorried there was an issue with the finish and that's not the case
View Quote

On a side note, could you post pix of the added Italian proofs that the barrels and receivers got?  Just interesting to see what was required.  Were the upper and bolt serial numbered too at the proof house?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:44:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Gun is fine.

Interesting to see that much finish wear on the bolt where it has impacted the dust cover to pop it open.  Doubt that happened in 1 shot.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:46:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
Gun is fine.

Interesting to see that much finish wear on the bolt where it has impacted the dust cover to pop it open.  Doubt that happened in 1 shot.
View Quote

OP stated that he zeroed the gun at the range.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:50:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

View All Quotes
Gun is fine.

Did he close the flap after every shot?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:16:52 AM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes
Gun is fine.

I don't have the answer to that. 40 rds, you'd think it'd be one and done.

Maybe the usual finger fucking at the LGS, or maybe the OP just enjoys hearing the port door opening?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:41:54 AM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

I not only zeroed it actually, i shot more or less 40 rounds plinking and trying some groupings
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:42:56 AM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Of course not but there is almost no wear in that area, the pic is confounding
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:53:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tiribulus] [#46]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR: Spent brass does not impact the deflector in that area.
View Quote
That's what I was thinking. I don't know how ejecting brass would get around towards the back of the deflector like that.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:09:45 PM EDT
[#47]
black sharpie pen works wonders...lol
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:16:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By scottrh2:

On a side note, could you post pix of the added Italian proofs that the barrels and receivers got?  Just interesting to see what was required.  Were the upper and bolt serial numbered too at the proof house?
View Quote

Proof markings requirements change over time…
My early Colt (2000 era) only has proof house markings on the barrel. But I was imported from Germany.

Later on I guess they realized the AR was a giant Lego and the second Colt (2008) has proof house markings on barrel upper lower and bolt carrier (no bolt iirc).
Same for the 2013 surplus 613.

None of these has the SN copied/pasted to other components.

The 2021 SOCOM spare barrel and bolt required a custom SN in order to be registered.. being spare components Im not sure if complete rifles get the SN added to the barrel. OP will be able to give more info.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:13:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bravo5two] [#49]
Yes, brass markings at the deflector is definitely okay.  Now if those markings are on the door of your Ferrari, I would be furious
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top