Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2020 6:33:28 PM EDT
Found a Steiner dbal A2 for sale for quite a deal...has some intermittent
connection issues when using the adjustments.
If I purchase this I would likely send it to stiener for repairs...

I have read A2 dbal is for LEO only yet I see them for sale
from reputable dealers. I don’t know what the final verdict
is for purchasing/possessing such an item may be.

I guess my question is what’s legal and what’s not?
Some I read are legit while others are stolen, just
don’t want to be associated with thievery.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The A2 is a full power unit. New sales are restricted for military/law enforcement only. If you were to send it in for repair Steiner would likely either not repair it at all, report it as theft based on serial, or in the lightest case maybe send you a functional civilian power model.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#2]
So new sales are for Leo only, but did they ever offer it to civilian marketplace?

https://www.gunauction.com/buy/16903130

Here’s the link for curious minds.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 9:52:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you were to send it in for repair Steiner would likely...report it as theft based on serial...
View Quote
Steiner can't report property stolen that they don't own. Also, they don't have the ability to run the serial # through NCIC to see if it's been reported as stolen.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 12:22:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Steiner can't report property stolen that they don't own. Also, they don't have the ability to run the serial # through NCIC to see if it's been reported as stolen.
View Quote
I get where you're going and figured I butchered the wording. The reality is they probably know every serial number sold to every military or LE agency. If John Doe sends one in they're probably gonna ask to see some paperwork before they just repair it. They have an obligation to make sure full power lasers arent going into civilian hands so they dont get their hand slapped by the government. If you dont think they will check or investigate feel free to buy a full power laser and attempt to send it in for repair and report back. Same with L3. Same with any manufacturer.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 4:07:46 AM EDT
[#5]
OP:

Bro, it’s a full power laser. If you want a full power unit, unfortunately you don’t get a warranty. Period. Even commercial units only have a year warranty, and the LDI DBAL A2s you see floating around are generally a decade old or more.

Secondly, again, it’s a full power laser. There’s literally almost no way to prove provenance and if you want full power that bad, you just have to put the “where it came from” question out of your mind. Do you want it or not?
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 4:10:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you were to send it in for repair Steiner would likely...report it as theft based on serial...
Tell that to Motorola.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 4:14:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So new sales are for Leo only, but did they ever offer it to civilian marketplace?

View Quote
thats a 100 dollar chinese fake lol
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 4:21:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree, not legit
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP:

Bro, it’s a full power laser. If you want a full power unit, unfortunately you don’t get a warranty. Period. Even commercial units only have a year warranty, and the LDI DBAL A2s you see floating around are generally a decade old or more.

Secondly, again, it’s a full power laser. There’s literally almost no way to prove provenance and if you want full power that bad, you just have to put the “where it came from” question out of your mind. Do you want it or not?
View Quote
Thanks man
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 10:51:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They’re going to have a transaction record on who it was sold to and with it being a full power unit, there’s a 99.9% chance that was some sort of governmental agency.

Seeing as the largest purchaser of LAMs is US .mil and when they DRMO LAMs, they destroy them, there’s a very high chance this unit “fell off the truck” somewhere along the line.

In any case, Steiner won’t repair this thing and there’s almost zero chance they’ll send you a new civvy unit to replace it.  Best case, they tell you they’re not sending it back and you’re out your money.  Worst case, they trace the original purchaser to US .mil and you get a letter or visit from NCIS or CID, and you still don’t get anything back.

It’s happened in the past with LAMs/optics/NV.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 10:53:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you post the pic?  I can’t get the page to load as I don’t have an account.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 1:36:32 PM EDT
[#12]
It's definitely a G&P DBAL GP959 which is available for $150 from foreign airsoft dealers. The IR laser and red laser (the right side) are usually very poorly co-aligned so you really have to pick one or the other. You can't zero with vis and flip to IR like a "real" unit would work.

I would NOT mount it to a rifle because the recoil will destroy it but it be would probably be good attached to a spotting scope. The illum can be dialed spot/flood and the high power mode is definitely a lot brighter then C1 versions.

I have one on my airsoft gun it's a pretty good facsimile.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 12:06:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Is the DBAL A2 worth it even if it were legit? I’ve never seen or used one. It’s likely no MAWL but how’s it compare to something like the ATPIAL?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#14]
DBAL A2 was like $1400 for a few full power units a few years back. Noone who has one will sell one. You are better off with a PERST3 or DBAL D2. If you have the money, a MAWL C1. I have a civilian DBAL I2 and its illuminator is a joke.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top