Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2021 9:41:42 PM EDT
I just received this barrel from a known manufacturer and the crown looks awfully rough to me.  This is supposed to be a "match" barrel with a "match" crown.  I emailed the vendor to check about whether this looks acceptable to them.  If it's not, hopefully either the vendor or manufacturer will make it right.  I'd rather give them a chance before saying who made it here, but I would appreciate weigh in from those more knowledge to get a sense if my concerns are founded.  

Thanks in advance.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:43:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks fine to me.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:53:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Youch!  Looks like they missed an operation on that one.  There is visible chatter and finish issues there.  Should clean up easily.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:55:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a $79.00 bbl.

With a nasty crown.

Match grade??

Rack grade for sure.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:01:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Ugly... yes. However, the crown at the rifling looks pretty good.

Aesthetically pleasing... not so much, after a muzzle device is put on no one will notice the ugly part.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:03:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Reading comprehension and all that.

Missed the "match" part.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:03:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Radical Firearms?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:06:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I would accept that on a cheap PSA bbl.   Rack grade.

Not on any premium bbl, if it really is a primo bbl.

OP who made that?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:18:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Dull insert. Probably will shoot fine. I don’t see any burrs protruding into the rifling.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:33:56 PM EDT
[#9]
How does it shoot?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:35:45 PM EDT
[#10]
That looks a bit rough, but I'd be willing to shoot it and see how it does.  For all we know, that might shoot 1/2MOA like that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:44:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Match? I wouldn't accept that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:45:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:50:20 PM EDT
[#13]
The end of the lands seem fine. The bowl part is ugly, but I bet it shoots as well as if it's smoothed.

ETA: If it's a $400+ dollar cut rifled barrel I'd be disappointed. $250 button rifled - give it a go.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:05:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Match?  No, not what I'd expect.

Usable as is? Yes.  

Fixable? probably.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:17:59 AM EDT
[#15]
The word “Match” gets thrown around way too much by manufacturers.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:22:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just received this barrel from a known manufacturer and the crown looks awfully rough to me.  This is supposed to be a "match" barrel with a "match" crown.  I emailed the vendor to check about whether this looks acceptable to them.  If it's not, hopefully either the vendor or manufacturer will make it right.  I'd rather give them a chance before saying who made it here, but I would appreciate weigh in from those more knowledge to get a sense if my concerns are founded.  

Thanks in advance.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/137924/IMG_4449_jpeg-1792198.JPG
View Quote

It isn't pretty, but all that matters is that it is square to the bore and no burrs at the muzzle.  Al those scratches in the cone are not going to have any effect on the bullet, but I would expect better from even BCA.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:57:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for weigh in.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:33:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Shoot it. You never know.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:09:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 2:13:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Should shoot fine.  I would be unhappy if that was an expensive barrel, but for an inexpensive nitride job - even with "match" crown - I wouldn't worry.

Much more concerned with the number of off-center bevel crowns I see.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 2:30:16 AM EDT
[#21]
What crown??

It literally looks like it was just cut off and not finished.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:09:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Better than what come on my barrel from Armalite.
Mine looked like someone did it with a countersink made for wood, with a hand drill,
and was off center
Then they pinned on the muzzle brake to hide their excellent workmanship.

Found it when I was changing over to a free float hand guard.
The barrel went directly into the lathe, and re-cut by a real machinist (me), with a sharp cutting bit.

The trouble these days is that manufactures are not hiring machinists, they are hiring operators that may know what a finished product should look like, and care.
Not just concerned with getting out of work at the end of the day.

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:52:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Who is the manufacture.  There is a small chance I have a new barrel from that manufacture sitting around that I can compare it to.

As ugly as the machining is in the “bowl”, it’s how the actual crown is finished that affects performance.  From the picture you posted, I would be a little concerned with the section in the pic below.  It looks like a divot.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:12:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who is the manufacture.  There is a small chance I have a new barrel from that manufacture sitting around that I can compare it to.

As ugly as the machining is in the “bowl”, it’s how the actual crown is finished that affects performance.  From the picture you posted, I would be a little concerned with the section in the pic below.  It looks like a divot.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/278288/7F29AE15-6877-4F06-839C-504EAB977BF0_jpe-1805776.JPG
View Quote

It’s a Faxon Gunner Match barrel. To their credit, they were very responsive and courteous when I contacted them and offered to exchange if I’d like. They said the bowl is not polished as part of their machining process and that it shouldn’t affect accuracy as the interior crown is what matters.  Although they offered to replace or substitute, I’m going to give it a try first as anything comparable is back ordered there and elsewhere.  

Although cosmetically I would have preferred something more, they get a thumbs up for CS at this point.  Hopefully it will still meet expectations in function and accuracy.  

Thanks for all the replies here.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:45:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It’s a Faxon Gunner Match barrel. To their credit, they were very responsive and courteous when I contacted them and offered to exchange if I’d like. They said the bowl is not polished as part of their machining process and that it shouldn’t affect accuracy as the interior crown is what matters.  Although they offered to replace or substitute, I’m going to give it a try first as anything comparable is back ordered there and elsewhere.  

Although cosmetically I would have preferred something more, they get a thumbs up for CS at this point.  Hopefully it will still meet expectations in function and accuracy.  

Thanks for all the replies here.  
View Quote

I have a regular Faxon Gunner but it’s not a match.

I had one small Faxon barrel issue many years ago.  Their CS was absolutely amazing and they handled it like a champ.  

I will try to get some pics of my Gunner and other quality barrel crowns for comparison for you bud tomorrow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top