BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/6/2018 2:20:50 PM EDT
I think there's something wrong with me. I can't stop the urge to buy more magazines even though I have plenty, most still sitting their original boxes.

Is it wise to keep them as an "investment"?
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 2:36:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Do it right and use mags to store your ammo. 

If anyone has bought more mags just to store ammo=winning.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Ar15 mags will never get any cheaper than they are right now imo. Youll always be able to sell them back for what you pay for them, as long as theyre new and unused.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 3:07:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I think there's something wrong with me. I can't stop the urge to buy more magazines even though I have plenty, most still sitting their original boxes.

View Quote
Define "Plenty"?

I'm mostly curious if your definition matches mine :).
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 3:12:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Take a note from NY. If they ever ban standard cap mags in your state, they're not going to grandfather existing ones. Independent of whether anyone actually turns them in, having a giant stock pile like that just means more years they're gonna tack on when your significant other rats you out.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 3:29:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Define "Plenty"?

View Quote
10 per gun.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 3:32:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
10 per gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Define "Plenty"?

10 per gun.
Ha...unless you have 20+ ARs, then you're not at the mag whore level at all.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
No, not as an investment. Even though they are a strange currency among gun owners who know they will appreciate in panicked times, they are chump change in the long run. Get more guns and ammo. Expand your horizons into firearms you don't have. Make the firearms you do have better with better accessories.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 4:56:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Just sold over a 100 at 141 garage sale days  $10 bucks a pop .
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:03:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

10 per gun.
View Quote
pfffft, not even remotely a problem.... when you have between 200 and 400, then we'll start asking that question

I like to keep between 30 and 40 per gun
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 12:56:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Poor investment. There are too many mags in circulation now. Even if another ban were to come... we'll never see $90.00 pmags again
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 12:58:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

10 per gun.
View Quote
10 per gun should be about how many are floating around your truck you forgot about
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 1:24:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Wrong?

No.

It's all subjective. Do what you feel is right with this.

For myself, I'm done because I got mine, now I'm at too many. I was there during the AWB dark days too, I made sure that I had enough for another one or like the scare like 2013

I stopped. I've got mine. I don't need any more than what's already on hand.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:22:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wrong?

No.

For myself, I'm done because I got mine, now I'm at too many. I was there during the AWB dark days too, I made sure that I had enough for another one or like the scare like 2013

View Quote
What is your comfort level?
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wrong?

No.

I hate reloading magazines at the range. The StripLula makes this easier on me but that is only good for the AR15 using 5.56/223 only. I still have 308 in two different magazine styles to feed and nevermind all of those pistol mags.

So honestly, I'd say enough where you can get a serious range session in with your most used guns, without killing your thumbs 87 times to reload. Have that many, and for the range toys, maybe just enough to keep you properly entertained.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:58:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
10 per gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Define "Plenty"?

10 per gun.
That doesn't match your thread theme, at all, unless you have 20 rifles.

I hate to load mags at the range.  It is the most annoying thing I notice of others.  We typically take at least 30 loaded mags on range day.  Makes for a much nicer day.

Store your ammo in your mags!

If you truly have a mag buying problem, it's okay, just load at least 50 mags with ammo, and you will feel better about buying them
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I've been stocking up, including on mags for guns I plan on buying in the future.

I have no idea what's going to happen in my state for the future. If there is a magban I'm good for grandfathering. If there is a magban and no grandfathering, as in this metal box with a spring in it will get you years in jail-- I'm screwed and wasted my money when I could have been purchasing something else.

Any advice appreciated. I'm still new
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 10:14:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've been stocking up, including on mags for guns I plan on buying in the future.

I have no idea what's going to happen in my state for the future. If there is a magban I'm good for grandfathering. If there is a magban and no grandfathering, as in this metal box with a spring in it will get you years in jail-- I'm screwed and wasted my money when I could have been purchasing something else.

Any advice appreciated. I'm still new
View Quote
My advise?

Looks like you really don't need it to be honest. But that's just me.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 10:18:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ar15 mags will never get any cheaper than they are right now imo. Youll always be able to sell them back for what you pay for them, as long as theyre new and unused.
View Quote
Even if used, you will probably at least break even on them if they are in working order.

I have a lot of "used" mags that have done nothing besides sit loaded in an ammo can.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 8:24:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I hate reloading magazines at the range. The StripLula makes this easier on me but that is only good for the AR15 using 5.56/223 only. I still have 308 in two different magazine styles to feed and nevermind all of those pistol mags.

So honestly, I'd say enough where you can get a serious range session in with your most used guns, without killing your thumbs 87 times to reload. Have that many, and for the range toys, maybe just enough to keep you properly entertained.
View Quote
See, this is why I take my kids shooting... carry the guns and range bag, run the targets out, load the magazines, pickup the brass ....

Although the oldest one tends to cost me a box of 9mm through my AR 9 if he goes... which is often.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 8:44:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Take a note from NY. If they ever ban standard cap mags in your state, they're not going to grandfather existing ones. Independent of whether anyone actually turns them in, having a giant stock pile like that just means more years they're gonna tack on when your significant other rats you out.
View Quote
So dont buy and store "disposable" magazines because one day they "might" be banned and "wont" be grandfathered in?
Attachment Attached File

OP, now is the time to stock up. Mag prices are cheap and they are plentiful.
I buy everytime the deal is right. All the time.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 9:09:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So dont buy and store "disposable" magazines because one day they "might" be banned and "wont" be grandfathered in?
I buy everytime the deal is right. All the time.
View Quote
It's called "self banning" and it's all the rage. Something might be illegal someday, so better stop now, just in case.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#22]
to a point, yeah there's a limit. if you shoot like monthly or less, and don't compete, your mags aren't hitting the ground at speed and won't break. So they will most likely last forever. if you use them correctly, they are wear items, and get lost, stomped, broken, etc.

realistically if you have a few stocked back and loaded you should be fine. I can't imagine going through more than 5 if the SHTF, because by then i'm either dead or entitled to field pick ups. I would imagine if there is a ban they won't grandfather, kinda like what CA has done. so either keep a few and become a felon like all the internet tough guys claim to do, or sell em/scrap them later.

Too many other people (we call them neckbeards) are already sitting on more than you or I could, waiting to gouge. those on the fence are stocked up and won't be buying next time.

A fixed item isn't an investment, it's a store of value at best or an expense at worse. investments are going to grow and pay dividends. My mags never do that, my stocks do all the time. Most people are going to face real poverty in retirement, very few will face drawn out, mag change gun fights. plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 10:05:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
to a point, yeah there's a limit. if you shoot like monthly or less, and don't compete, your mags aren't hitting the ground at speed and won't break. So they will most likely last forever. if you use them correctly, they are wear items, and get lost, stomped, broken, etc.

realistically if you have a few stocked back and loaded you should be fine. I can't imagine going through more than 5 if the SHTF, because by then i'm either dead or entitled to field pick ups. I would imagine if there is a ban they won't grandfather, kinda like what CA has done. so either keep a few and become a felon like all the internet tough guys claim to do, or sell em/scrap them later.

Too many other people (we call them neckbeards) are already sitting on more than you or I could, waiting to gouge. those on the fence are stocked up and won't be buying next time.

A fixed item isn't an investment, it's a store of value at best or an expense at worse. investments are going to grow and pay dividends. My mags never do that, my stocks do all the time. Most people are going to face real poverty in retirement, very few will face drawn out, mag change gun fights. plan accordingly.
View Quote
How is that even constitutional without the grandfather clause?
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

How is that even constitutional without the grandfather clause?
View Quote
It's as constitutional as gun control is in the first place... youre asking why a rapist would break a window lock.

CO and Maryland I believe have grandfathered mags.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 6:07:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I buy lots of mags, too.  But I recently moved from a ban state so for me it is like being the kid in the candy store who just found $100.  Wait, PSA is having another sale on 30 rd mags??  I’m in!

ETA:  up until 2 months ago I had never been able to legally own a 30 rd Pmag (or any other recently manufactured 30 rounder).  Feels good, man.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 7:56:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Tip of the iceberg...
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 9:22:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Its fine, I stopped when I hit 200 NIW pmags
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#28]
I have one AR and almost 40 mags for it. My M14 came from the seller with 18 mags, more than I have ammo to fill them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:22:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
10 per gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Define "Plenty"?

10 per gun.
Weak....
Magazines should be measured by square feet, as in "I have four square feet of 300BLK mags" or "I have six square feet of 5.56 AR mags".
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 9:45:13 AM EDT
[#30]
I've been buying them on and off since 2005.

I dont have as many as some people here, but for 2 rifle platforms ( AR and M14 ) and 4 pistols I have about 3k wrapped up in magazines.

I don't anticipate ever using half of them but they are on sale these days, and they are always a threat for banning.

Buy cheap, stack deep
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 9:48:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
10 per gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Define "Plenty"?

10 per gun.
That is NOT plenty.  That is MINIMUM.

100 per gun is "plenty".
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 10:20:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Your statement is idiotic at the very least!
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#33]
10 guns with 20 mags per gun.

This Silly, yet Serious Stuff is why we need STRONG 2nd Amendment Judges RFN on the SCOTUS.

Kavenaugh will be in, and if we get one more Democrat to go, the legal aspects of bans will be weakened.

It wouldn't hurt of a few of the oldest Conservatives to voluntarily step away (if the R's win midterms) to allow some new Younger Judges who could be in place for 30 years or more.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#34]
I do not know about mags as an investment financially.  However, I am glad I stocked up when I did.  And sad I could not afford more then.  My grandchildren will be shooting using mags I bought.  This is good.  Unfortunately, another rifle or two and I will drop below the 15 per ar floor.  This is bad.

Fuck coastal transplants for what they have done here.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:07:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

10 per gun should be about how many are floating around your truck you forgot about
View Quote
I find mags everywhere. In my jeep in my tacoma in wife's car . In a box I haven't opened in 10 years .
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:10:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
An infantry squad member can go through 10 or 12 mags in minutes with all his buddies supporting him.  You had should imagine, be willing and able to lay down even more fire to protect what's yours.  I can imagine burning up a barrel if the situation calls for it, and I have the resources available to do so.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:18:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Pmags were $90 at one point?!

Please tell me that's an exaggeration.....
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 11:31:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Pmags were $90 at one point?!

Please tell me that's an exaggeration.....
View Quote
Nope.  When Sandy Hook went down my non AR owning buddy bought a dozen at the PX and sold them online for about that much.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#39]
I think I have 800 USGI mags Pmags 100 20rnd mags 200 40rnd PMI and Sterling mags 80 and Torkmag 50rnd 15 Drums well can't even count I think 10 Betamags 100rnd 2x Armatac 150rnd drums 7 Norinco steel 100rnd 6x 90rnd snail drums then their are the other manufacturers I can't remember then their are my other weapons yeah you got a problem!
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 8:20:31 AM EDT
[#40]
I had 500 USGI and have sold off 200 and will hold there.  I’m about to sell off some Sig mags in order to buy other Sig mags.

I totally understand the “passion” of collecting mags
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 11:06:55 PM EDT
[#41]
My theory goes have enough magazines to load up 1000 rounds of ammo.

IMO you'll want a nice variety of 10, 20, 30, 40 rounders, use different colors or manuf. to differentiate "range mags" "duty mags" and "unused for deep storage / barter" mags.  Id also say you want to have a couple different materials, just in case long term it turns out some wear out (like, do some aluminum, some polymer, some steel/lancer)
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:10:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Your statement is idiotic at the very least!
View Quote
While this doesn’t happen all the time, no....no it’s not. It’s a very real threat and you’re naive if you don’t think so. Rest assured.

OP. I have about 30 per AR. I still buy them every once in a while.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:12:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

An infantry squad member can go through 10 or 12 mags in minutes with all his buddies supporting him.  You had should imagine, be willing and able to lay down even more fire to protect what's yours.  I can imagine burning up a barrel if the situation calls for it, and I have the resources available to do so.
View Quote
While drastic in a SHTF scenario, I agree if it comes down to it I’d do the same.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 4:11:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Stock up while prices are good. You never know which way the political winds will blow. I always buy a few whenever I have some extra cash.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#45]
I like at least ten mags per gun, although my lone G3/PTR has 50.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#46]
I have the same disease. Find a good deal on a Quality Mag and I can't sleep till I get some. Ammo the same way.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 10:26:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I buy lots of mags, too.  But I recently moved from a ban state so for me it is like being the kid in the candy store who just found $100.  Wait, PSA is having another sale on 30 rd mags??  I’m in!

ETA:  up until 2 months ago I had never been able to legally own a 30 rd Pmag (or any other recently manufactured 30 rounder).  Feels good, man.
View Quote
Congrats man!!! Welcome to a free state.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 4:50:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

10 per gun.
View Quote
10 mags per gun is my CARRY LOAD.

Magazine Slutdom Defined:

1 mag per AR = bubba fudd
3 mags per AR = yuppie scum
10 mags per AR = naive hobbyist

100 total AR mags = mag slut
250-500 AR mags = mag whore in training
500+ AR mags = mag whore
1000+ AR mags = mag pimp
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 4:53:57 PM EDT
[#49]
As a side, I bet a lot of people on this site buy their AR mags by the 100 unit case ....
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I like at least ten mags per gun, although my lone G3/PTR has 50.
View Quote
I remember when G3 mags were moving for $2 each!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top