Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2021 9:41:26 AM EDT
Maybe I’m just being cheap as hell and not wanting to upgrade.

What is the oldest optic you own that you still use today?
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:00:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 10X scope that I bought at Kmart with lawn mowing money in 1980. I put it on a Daisy pump BB gun similar to the modern Powerline 880. Had to change the gaskets on the gun but I still use that scope to knock out squirrels.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#2]
outdated?   not really. is the 45acp outdated? or the 45lc? or 45/70?  theres definately better more modern choices but they still work just fine at killing shit. old optics are the same way. you might buy something more whiz bang, but if your old optic works great, it works great. my biggest consideration is reliability. is it reliable?  if so, then your gtg.

i do have issues with being able to get something repaired though. if its so old no one will repair it, then i might consider upgrading to a model with customer support. but im talking for a self defense gun, if its not being used for self defense, then it really doesnt matter. it probably doesnt matter anyway, im just weird like that. my optics are all aimpoint comp ML models, except for one eotech 512 i got cheap recently.  overall its all aimpoint, leupold, and eotech right now.  ill be shopping for some vortex 1x6 optics and red dots for pistols in the future though.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:39:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, optics become outdated. Technology marches on.

Compare old 7/8 Weaver scopes to modern illuminated scopes. Compare early red dots to modern red dots.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:53:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, optics become outdated. Technology marches on.

Compare old 7/8 Weaver scopes to modern illuminated scopes. Compare early red dots to modern red dots.
View Quote

Yeah they are always getting better.

And even if you disagree they become outdated, they certainly depreciate in what you can sell them for on the EE here.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:20:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd consider one of the first Aimpoints as 'outdated' for sure.

Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#6]
If it works, use it.

"Outdated" is an argument that might come into play if you were trying to sell it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#7]
If it works as intended and preforms it's task acceptably age is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 2:25:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Aimpoint H2.

My Dad owns a Comp M2 that has moon dust on it still from, I presume, AFG/IRQ. I found it at a pawn shop for him in the mid 2000's, and it looks...well used...and has that reddish babypowder on it that never comes off. I don't think he's ever replaced the batteries in it (He does turn it off), and he loves it. Oddly and ironically, it is the only optic he can currently use until he gets some cataracts removed. He can standing, punch a 3-4moa 50 yard 5 shot with it on demand with M193.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd consider one of the first Aimpoints as 'outdated' for sure.

https://i.imgur.com/RVrk0.jpg
View Quote

I'd say using a highlighter as an optic would be outdated...man that is bad
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah they are always getting better.

And even if you disagree they become outdated, they certainly depreciate in what you can sell them for on the EE here.
View Quote

Oh yeah.  

One of the reasons I almost exclusively buy optics used that are a couple years old.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Colt 3X made in Japan circa. 1979, it's a rudimentary scope that works within its limitations.

I have a Leupold 3.5x10 circa. 1981 that is mounted on a Remington Vietnam style M40 that works fine for simple crosshairs.

As long as the glass is good and the adjustments still track any quality scope is useable decades after purchase. I wouldn't trust any scope made in China, but that's just me. I understand the most expensive scopes they produce probably aren't bad.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 4:02:47 PM EDT
[#12]
No such thing as outdated technology if you are Aimpoint
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 4:17:36 PM EDT
[#13]
The Bushnell 4X12 BDC scope I bought in 1978 is still on my M1A.

From the days when Bausch and Lomb made the high end Bushnell scopes.

One of the brightest, if not the brightest scopes I've every had up to my eye in low light or at night.  i could tell you about it but you wouldn't believe it till you look through it at somebody walking around in a field 250/300 yds. away.

Only thing that ever broke on it was the little plastic cap on the BDC/elevation turret.  Went to the truck, got a screw out of the tool box (lucky to have one exactly the right thread/length), used my pocket knife to cut the hole out a little bit more, put some black forma gasket on the bolt threads, screwed the new bolt into the cap and then screwed the bolt into the elevation turret.  Worked like a charm for the rest of the RBC and still working today.

Like it so much when I found one on Ebay I bought it for my youngest son.

All scopes are not created equal.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Optics have come a long way.

I used to have a Bausch and Lomb Elite, which was considered a pretty good scope back then. A few years ago I compared it to a couple newer Trijicon, Vortex and Leupold scopes. They've made alot of improvements over the years.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 5:04:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I think the Occluded Eye Gunsite is outdated.

Link Posted: 2/9/2021 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Using a Japan made Tasco 8-32x44 w/ target dot on my 10/22 build, mid to late 70s.  Still good glass.  

I would consider upgrading/replacing when either a killer feature is released that you must have OR when the performance difference between new and old is so great that it would be kinda foolish NOT to upgrade.

Link Posted: 2/9/2021 6:47:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd say this style of optic is pretty out dated

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I still use a 2-7 Redfield Illuminator I bought in 1982.  Outdated sure, but it is still clear and kills deer.  Todays optic will be outdated in a mater of months.  Means nothing if it serves the purpose.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I have Leupold VX II's and a VariX 3 that are 20 years old that are great scopes...Sure I can get a Vortex PST with about the same glass but more features..Zero stop..Illuminated reticles etc.  But side by side hits are hits and both will do the job. One of my pro tips used to be Egay leupolds. Bought cheap than sent into the custom shop. Now that is no longer an option I'm afraid. Too bad.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:32:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Optics have come a long way.

I used to have a Bausch and Lomb Elite, which was considered a pretty good scope back then. A few years ago I compared it to a couple newer Trijicon, Vortex and Leupold scopes. They've made alot of improvements over the years.  
View Quote

I move optics to older guns and put newer optics on goto or competition guns.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#21]
The answer to your first question, yes there are outdated optics.

Attachment Attached File

As far as personal stuff, I have some '50s vintage scopes. Also have an Israeli 3x and a '90s vintage Ultradot. Still works fine.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I think features become outdated.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:56:48 PM EDT
[#23]
My only scopes are a Leupold 2.5x20 and a Nikon 3-9, both bought used on here. I'm not the one to ask this question.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:58:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Outdated? Yes, obsolete? Not really.  I've noticed in my only 19 years of shooting that today's scopes offer more features with better glass for less money.

One of the earliest scopes that I still use is a Bushnell 4200 elite 6-24x40.
Simple mil-dot reticle sfp with moa adjustment and no illumination.  Adjusted for inflation, I paid $500 for it used.  I could easily find better scopes now but it still works and the glass is good.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:10:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Outdated -  Hakko Electropoint -  it came on Valmet sniper and was kinda cool for early 80s tech -  japanese optics with illuminated retical that uses a weird battery voltage that apparently has not been made or widely available for decades. I put in battery that fit which was the wrong oltage and burnt out the retical so that was the end of that as without the novelty - there are better options.

Oldest still in use -  tie between a Ziess 1x6 vari (on an HK 91) and a Israeli Nimrod 6x (now on the Valmet sniper).

I also have an aimpoint 5000 in an arms HK mount that still gets use as well as an Aimpoint Comp in a KAC mount on an early SR-15.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:33:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Duplex reticles are outdated.

Now don’t flame me, yes they work but even a basic BDC reticle or mil dot provides you with instant old overs with the most basic of ballistic apps.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:33:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Outdated -  Hakko Electropoint -  it came on Valmet sniper and was kinda cool for early 80s tech - japanese  optics with illuminated retical that uses a weird battery voltage that apparently has not been made or widely available for decades. I put in battery that fit which was the wrong oltage and burnt out the retical so that was the end of that as without the novelty - there are better options.
View Quote

I bought a Kassnar-branded 1-3x20 scope a few years ago that was made by Hakko, sort of a precursor to the modern LPVOs. It has a dial to change the the reticle color, but the illumination won't work with LR44s despite taking the mercury battery that the LR44 replaced. The reticle still lights up in natural light though.

Clarity's actually decent for scope from the early '80s, but eye relief is way too long on 1x so it mostly stays on 3x. I also found a Laseraim-branded Ultradot red dot on Ebay with a dial that adjusts how fast it blinks. It drains batteries even when it's off but the dot's pretty bright on the higher settings.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 11:29:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
No such thing as outdated technology if you are Aimpoint
View Quote

This.

Our dot in a tube is now 20% smaller at only 200% of the previous price!
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Depends on if we are talking glass or electronics.  Got some Leupold scopes from the late 70 and early 80s.  No issues.  However my Laser something (size of a 6x Elcan) that I put Freshour .50 BMG back in 92' is obsolete.  Leads are broken so no workie.

CD
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 3:36:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Now don’t flame me, yes they work but even a basic BDC reticle or mil dot provides you with instant old overs with the most basic of ballistic apps.
View Quote

Elmer in a deer stand doesn't give 2 chits for BDC or mil-dots
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:11:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Only at one magnification power on anything not first focal.

Get you close, sure.  Count on them for accurate long range shots, you better have validated your drops.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:51:08 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a Aimpurnt CompM2 that I bought when they first came out mounted on a BCM “Filthy 14” clone. I’ve changed the batteries in it a couple times just because... I’ve shot a few caribou with it over the years. I have it sighted in with that Marine Corp 33 meter BZO and it’s dead on out to 300 shooting 75gr BTHP's... I keep thinking I want to get something smaller like a T2 or even a Romeo 5 but honestly this thing just works.

- Clint
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#33]
I have an old Redfield 10x, an old Lyman 6x and an old Bushnell 6x on some rifles I inherited from my father who died in 1973.  The Lyman was over 10 years old at the time he passed. None have ever been off the rifles and all still work fine. Next is a Nikon 4x (before Nikon started calling them Monarch's, etc) that's on my main rifle, a Browning .270. I got them both brand new in 1991, and the Nikon has never been off it.  It's a great scope.  I bought a Leopold 3-9 a few years ago to replace it because I thought I needed a variable. It's still in the box, and I'll probably put it on my daughter's .243.

I'm a fixed power guy at heart.

Link Posted: 2/12/2021 7:12:25 PM EDT
[#34]
For me it is an Unertl fixed 12x with fine cross hair, external (mount) adjustments for W and E and I’m pretty sure it doesn’t even have a sealed interior.  Parallax is adjusted via the objective lens housing.

It’s archaic by today’s standards and I wouldn’t give you a nickel for another one like it, but I wouldn’t take three thousand bucks for it.

Too many memories and too many groundhogs have fallen to it and the old Ruger #1 .22-250 it sits on, now on its second barrel.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#35]
I've got a Leupold 4.5-14x LRT with a mil dot reticle. It's a sweet scope and it was the most expensive scope I had ever purchased at the time. It's really a nice scope and was THE scope to buy at the time.

Now it's outdated, it's a second focal plane reticle so the mil dots only work on full power. Nobody wants that anymore. The mechanics of the adjustments are now ripped on by people with more modern scopes. Oh well, it's still a nice scope but it's definitely dated.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:02:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I bought a Kassnar-branded 1-3x20 scope a few years ago that was made by Hakko, sort of a precursor to the modern LPVOs. It has a dial to change the the reticle color, but the illumination won't work with LR44s despite taking the mercury battery that the LR44 replaced. The reticle still lights up in natural light though.

Clarity's actually decent for scope from the early '80s, but eye relief is way too long on 1x so it mostly stays on 3x. I also found a Laseraim-branded Ultradot red dot on Ebay with a dial that adjusts how fast it blinks. It drains batteries even when it's off but the dot's pretty bright on the higher settings.
View Quote

Nice - good to know I am not the only one with one of these dinosaurs!  I want to like the Hakko (it was the "factory" option for this particular gun from the importer) but it really just isnt that great, the Nimrod is very nice actually and great sub because of its use on the Galil Sniper.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 5:13:48 AM EDT
[#37]
I know it’s getting old, but I still love it...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 2:04:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oldest?  Bausch & Lomb Balvar 5 and Balvar 8.  Made in the early to mid '60s.  While advances in lens coatings and things like blackened edges have helped tremendously over the years, the quality of the glass and the precision of the optical surfaces remain outstanding.   And, yes, I'm comparing them to my Kahles and Zeiss Victory glass from that persoective.  Obviously, they don't do as well in challenging light conditions, but perform far better than one might expect.

I have quite a few older El Paso Weaver scopes and earlier series Leupold Vari-X and US made Redfield scopes on period correct rifles, most made in the '60s and early '70s.  They remain serviceable, but are optically inferior to their counterparts today.

Balvar 5 on Remington 725.  Note that scope adjustments are in the base.

I still hunt with the Balvar scopes and some of the older Leupolds.

Link Posted: 2/13/2021 2:18:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, it really depends on the use, doesn't it?

What purpose does a BDC reticle or a mil/mil or moa/moa scope serve when hunting with modern centerfire rifles at distances inside of 250-300 yards?  Or, for defensive purposes at such distances?

Most such rifles can be sighted in for point blank zero out to 300 and have the bullet strike within 3" of point of aim.  Such reticles work extremely well in low light (classic German #4 even better).  Most people, if they are honest with themselves, have no business attempting shots at big game beyond 300 yards, and are unlikely to encounter two legged threats at beyond 300 yards.

I spend a lot of time in the woods hunting for more than 50 years.  I can count on the fingers of one hand when I've needed a ranging reticle.

I do admit I have long range optics with FFP "tree" reticles for target shooting, and a couple BDC scopes and a mil/mildot older tactical scope.  I use Strelok+ Pro with them, along with a chrono.  BDC without a chrono to determine real velocity and without accurate bullet BC is an estimate, at best.

But, I also recently bought a nice Leupold VX6-HD 2-12x42 with very accurate tactical zero stop zero lock exposed MOA turrets.  Yet, I opted for a Duplex reticle since it goes on a very flat shooting hunting bolt rifle where it likely will never shoot at game beyond 300 yards.  If I felt confident enough to take a shot at 400, I'd have time to dial elevation and hold off.  A FFP "tree" reticle or a BDC would be a handicap.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 2:25:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Deleted double tap.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

What purpose does a BDC reticle or a mil/mil or moa/moa scope serve when hunting with modern centerfire rifles at distances inside of 250-300 yards?  Or, for defensive purposes at such distances?

Most such rifles can be sighted in for point blank zero out to 300 and have the bullet strike within 3" of point of aim.  Such reticles work extremely well in low light (classic German #4 even better).  Most people, if they are honest with themselves, have no business attempting shots at big game beyond 300 yards, and are unlikely to encounter two legged threats at beyond 300 yards.

I spend a lot of time in the woods hunting for more than 50 years.  I can count on the fingers of one hand when I've needed a ranging reticle.

I do admit I have long range optics with FFP "tree" reticles for target shooting, and a couple BDC scopes and a mil/mildot older tactical scope.  I use Strelok+ Pro with them, along with a chrono.  BDC without a chrono to determine real velocity and without accurate bullet BC is an estimate, at best.

But, I also recently bought a nice Leupold VX6-HD 2-12x42 with very accurate tactical zero stop zero lock exposed MOA turrets.  Yet, I opted for a Duplex reticle since it goes on a very flat shooting hunting bolt rifle where it likely will never shoot at game beyond 300 yards.  If I felt confident enough to take a shot at 400, I'd have time to dial elevation and hold off.  A FFP "tree" reticle or a BDC would be a handicap.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go hunting in Wyoming instead of Mississippi.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 11:50:24 PM EDT
[#42]
If you bought an optic from the 80s to today, it'll probably last your life time and longer. The technology has gotten a lot better and many of the optics have etched reticle.

For older optics, it tend to be a real hit or miss depending on how they made it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top