Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2018 11:19:42 PM EDT
I am asking specifically on the number of magazines issued in a basic load.  An example is the USAF issued me generally four to eight 30 round Magazines with an M16 or GAU in the 1980s.  I am also interested to know the basic load out of magazines for those issued the DOE version of this weapon.

My wife bought be a 9mm barrel and upper receiver for this year's Christmas.  I am using the basic load of magazines as a good idea of how many magazines I should buy to support the weapon.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:43:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Why Just buy as many as you can store. You can never have enough.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:48:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Lol wut? The only 9mm M-16 variant I’ve seen in 26 years of service is a simunition gun.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:51:21 AM EDT
[#3]
how many is enough?  arbitrary numbers, he wants someting with some logic and reason behind it...
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 2:26:28 AM EDT
[#4]
BLUF - Was never issued a 9mm SMG.  FWIW, a long time ago before the tactical nylon boom, I knew a guy who made custom tac vests for military & LE customers.  His MP5 vest held 6 mags (maybe 8?).  Anyway, it wasn't much more than a standard M16/M4 loadout.  I would only assume a Colt SMG was similar.

That said, anytime I buy a long gun that uses magazines I don't already own, I usually start with 3-4.  If I find myself shooting it alot, I buy more especially if I find them on sale.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 11:20:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks that was what I was thinking.  I will start with four 32 round magazines.  I can never have too many, I just wanted to know what was issued if it was at any time in the U.S. Military.  the guy on Military Arms Channel said he was issued the 9MM M16 around 1987.  I left a message on his video evaluation of the 9MM Colt M16 asking how many they issued him.  He did not clarify whether this was active US Military Service or some type of contractor.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 11:35:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lol wut? The only 9mm M-16 variant I’ve seen in 26 years of service is a simunition gun.
View Quote

USMC FAST used them in Panama. USMC MSG's may have used them guarding our embassies
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 9:28:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am asking specifically on the number of magazines issued in a basic load.  An example is the USAF issued me generally four to eight 30 round Magazines with an M16 or GAU in the 1980s.  I am also interested to know the basic load out of magazines for those issued the DOE version of this weapon.

My wife bought be a 9mm barrel and upper receiver for this year's Christmas.  I am using the basic load of magazines as a good idea of how many magazines I should buy to support the weapon.
View Quote
It's not a MTOE weapon, so there is no doctrinal basic load.

The only military folks who ever got issued Colt SMG's were USMC Embassy guards- and their basic load was generally ZERO. lol

DOE folks... who knows?

The answer to your question though is that you want to have minimum 10 mags for a weapon that you're serious about.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 4:19:27 PM EDT
[#8]
The pic I posted the Marine has a 32 rounder in the SMG, and at least 3 reloads on his left leg.

Plus a NY reload on his right leg
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:00:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Never issued a 9mm M16, but doing a google (bing) search for WWII Sub machine gun magazine pouches and
Sten magazine pouches the common ones I find is 3 mags, 5 mags, and most commonly 7 mags seems to be a chest rig.
Same thing for the Thompson in Stick mags.
The MP family seems to be 3 and 3 pouches with a small pouch separating the two sets in the middle.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 11:15:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:22:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 3:49:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I prefer Metalform, but I would recommend 20 -30 mags, being a combination of the 20 round & 32 round.

Also, get one of the Maglula 9mm SMG loaders, trust me, your thumbs will thank you.  Colt SMG 9mm ar loader

Personally, I wouldn't want to carry too many of them, they are pretty heavy.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The pic I posted the Marine has a 32 rounder in the SMG, and at least 3 reloads on his left leg.

Plus a NY reload on his right leg
View Quote
The photo of that FAST Marine was also altered by a guy to put into a magazine.

In the original photo the photographer caught him in mid-blink with his eyes closed.

I was issued a DEA "Colt SMG" for their Advance Raid Tactics Course. Two mags.  Neat gun, but if you drop a partially-loaded mag on pavement it pukes out around half a dozen rounds.  

I think FAST Marines had them for a while, but don't know anyone else in DOD that did.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#14]
As noted above, the Marine Security Guard program used them-as provided by Diplomatic Security-at various posts.  
Also as noted, the basic load for the MSG was not really SOP (at least from what I can tell, coming into the program much later).
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Doubt you'll get much info on DOE stuff. Its generally frowned upon to talk about anything. Didn't see much standardization anyway when I was there. Also never saw a single 9mm carbine in use. The civil plant security side of DOE might still use them, I know very little about how they do things.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#16]
So this thread made me curious about how DOE security was actually managed. It looks like it is separated into two bits: Federal Protective Forces (FPF) and Contractor Protective Forces (CPF).

This DOE order lays out some guidance on how it works: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0473.3-BOrder-a/@@images/file

As you can see in the document, the DOE leaves most of the details up to the individual sites to handle. 9mm SMGs are still authorized, but they are probably not used much anymore. Security budgets have been pretty fat since 9/11 so everyone has nice toys now. Seeing a Colt RO-633 now in the wild is probably extremely unlikely but I am sure they are still stashed away various places.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:04:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Buy 12 Metalforms.  Then buy 12 more.  Black Friday be coming.  Buy the Maglula for them. 
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:45:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Buy 12 Metalforms.  Then buy 12 more.  Black Friday be coming.  Buy the Maglula for them. 
View Quote
Buy two Maglulas.  Put a lanyard on each, and keep them handy.

Try loading a full Metalform magazine without one, maybe twice.  Then you'll see that they are the best $30 you've ever spent.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#19]
From my understanding , FAST had them before we got MP-5 Navy variants.  I had MP-5s, never saw a 9mm carbine.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:19:10 PM EDT
[#20]
@USMC0352

What did you use for mag pouches? The SDS ones?

Happy Birthday btw
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 8:00:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Attachment Attached File

Have no idea who made this, but we rocked this load out.  HSLD with 50 lume surefire on our MP5s and M9s
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top