Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2020 3:35:56 PM EDT
So, I'm finally getting into a financial position where I can upgrade the optics on my "oh shit" rifle. It's currently wearing a Burris RT-6, and while I have no complaints with it, I worry about it's durability.

I know, the stock answer where durability is a concern is Aimpoint or EOTech, with or without a magnifier. However, my eyes are all kinds of fucked up, and every red dot or holosight that I've ever tried has been terrible for me, whereas the etched reticle of my RT-6 just *works*. That said, I'd like to keep the price tag at $1000 or less, unless there's a compelling reason to save a little longer and get a specific optic. I'm totally open to suggestions.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 3:41:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Rugged: Leupold Mark 6 vs Helicopter

You can frequently find these for around $1200 used.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 3:41:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Trijicon Accupower 1-8 is pretty solid and much less than a nightforce.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rOnUylOGqwI

You can frequently find these for around $1200 used.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd think nightforce would be very tough but assume any the military is using have to have a pretty high impact standard.

Never see those specs quoted though. Would like to know about the trijicon credos
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 3:43:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Haha I figured it helps if I don’t try to embed a YouTube video in a picture link. Should be fixed.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 3:45:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm a fan of the Vortex Razor 1-6x.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 3:58:04 PM EDT
[#7]
The USMC just adopted the Trijicon VCOG 1-8x28. It’s going to be the Squad Common Optic.

Check out the specs on their website.  It’s going to be the toughest LPVO you’re going to find. The glass is great with huge eye relief.

I’m very pleased with mine!
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 4:02:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Aaron throws his whole rifle off a balcony in this one.

I have two Mk6’s and one Razor 1-6 E.

The Mk6’s glass is better, as it should be considering the price difference. The image at 1x is flatter (less fisheye than the Razor), and the image is crystal clear all the way to the edge. The Razor definitely has some distortion near the edges. The Mk6 is lighter by 4oz, and the power ring is way easier to turn. A Switchthrow is almost required for the Razor.

The Razor has a slightly better eyebox, and the illumination is definitely better.

If you can find a used Mk6 for a comparable price to a new Razor, it’s definitely worth considering.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 4:53:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Leupold MK6 has been issued overseas for quite awhile now. If i wanted truly tough and had the budget to cover it I would buy that.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 5:04:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Leupold MK6 has been issued overseas for quite awhile now. If i wanted truly tough and had the budget to cover it I would buy that.
View Quote

Yes, and get the TMR-D reticle. They are a little more expensive than the 5.56 or 7.62 specific reticles. The throw lever is a must though.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 5:13:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Razor is probably your best bet at around $1k. A Mk6 Leupy or NF NX8 are both proven but more expensive.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 5:17:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Found a relevant article..

Military Times Article
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 5:37:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So, I'm finally getting into a financial position where I can upgrade the optics on my "oh shit" rifle. It's currently wearing a Burris RT-6, and while I have no complaints with it, I worry about it's durability.

I know, the stock answer where durability is a concern is Aimpoint or EOTech, with or without a magnifier. However, my eyes are all kinds of fucked up, and every red dot or holosight that I've ever tried has been terrible for me, whereas the etched reticle of my RT-6 just *works*. That said, I'd like to keep the price tag at $1000 or less, unless there's a compelling reason to save a little longer and get a specific optic. I'm totally open to suggestions.
View Quote

I have an RT-6 on a 308Win, and it's pretty damned tough. Not just with recoil, but with me dropping it. If you want to spend more, look at Trijicon, Nightforce, maybe a couple other big names. For bomb-proof, get protected caps (like the RT-6 has). I also like the Nikon Black series, but they're discontinued and getting harder to find.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:54:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes, and get the TMR-D reticle. They are a little more expensive than the 5.56 or 7.62 specific reticles. The throw lever is a must though.
View Quote
The TMR looks a LOT less cluttered than the BDC reticles.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:48:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The USMC just adopted the Trijicon VCOG 1-8x28. It’s going to be the Squad Common Optic.

Check out the specs on their website.  It’s going to be the toughest LPVO you’re going to find. The glass is great with huge eye relief.

I’m very pleased with mine!
View Quote

@Junglejim5

Does the VCOG 1-8 have a diopter adjustment?  I need the diopter adjustment for my scopes, that is why I had to dump my ACOGs

Thanks,

Bronc
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:23:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@Junglejim5

Does the VCOG 1-8 have a diopter adjustment?  I need the diopter adjustment for my scopes, that is why I had to dump my ACOGs

Thanks,

Bronc
View Quote

@77Bronc

It does!  

And the aftermarket QD mounts for ACOG's work as well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:28:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Nightforce NX8 / ATACR 1-8x
Vortex Razor II / III
Leupold Mark 6

For me, I chose the NX-8 and my second one with capped elevation arrived today.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 1:49:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The TMR looks a LOT less cluttered than the BDC reticles.
View Quote

Exactly, the reticle is easy to use at 1x all the way to 6x.

Leupold also has the best warranty in the game. *As does Vortex.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 2:58:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

@77Bronc

It does!  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Junglejim5

Thanks,

Bronc

@77Bronc

It does!  

Thanks,

I am looking for another LPVO and keeping with my plan, I like to keep the scope brands and types to a minimum....

Aimpoint
EOTech EXPS
NF
Trijicon

The VCOG looks interesting along with the Leupold MK6
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 3:49:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Another happy VCOG user here. I have the 1-6 with segmented circle reticle in a Bobro/Trijicon QD mount. The whole setup is slick, tough, &  dumb simple. Are there better LPVO's out there? Sure, if you're in the gamer gun range prancing world there are all sorts of aspects you could split hairs over. Like you I've developed an astigmatism and have had to phase out my red dots. At 1x with the VCOG I don't miss them. You may be able to find one used for around $1200. Another option that might be more in the target price is a Steiner P4Xi. I don't own one but it keeps coming up as tough option that is particularly good at 1x. Hit the EE and have some patience. There are a lot of people dumping perfectly good 1-4x & 1-6x LPVO's because they just have to have the latest 1-8x.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:49:39 AM EDT
[#21]
If I had roughly a grand to spend I’d be looking at the Razor-E, Accupower 1-8, or NX8, depending on my priorities on 1X performance, 6/8X performance, cost, and weight.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:25:40 AM EDT
[#22]
VCOG is heavy but very durable...

MK6 Leupys are awesome...not a Vortex Razor guy...but they are good...Mk8 CQBSS it is deployed ... including DEVGRU

Steiner M8XI good too...

S&B Short Dot (if you can spend that coin)

Having said that...been running a Steiner P4XI without any issues on a 5.56
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#23]
VCOG for the win!
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 6:08:32 PM EDT
[#24]
S T E I N E R  M I L I T A R Y
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
S T I E N E R  M I L I T A R Y
View Quote

I got one coming
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#26]
This one seemed to take lots of abuse  (not speaking to it's overall quality, just the punishment it could take)

https://youtu.be/q4BvXgpa2A0

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:12:05 AM EDT
[#27]
If you want bomb proof I would suggest the VCOG. There are better scopes out there but none as tough. Forged body. No scope rings to worry about.

I actually use a RT-6 on my practice pistol because the reticle is very similar to the VCOG's segmented circle ballistic reticle @ 1x.

VCOGs are pricey but are made in the USA.

If you like the RT-6 you'll more than likely love the VCOG.

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#28]
I usually destroy optics at work but never managed to jack up my Elcan Spectre.  I have a Nightforce ATACR now so we will see if I can manage to break that too.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:53:03 AM EDT
[#29]
If you want bombproof LPVO I think you’re stuck with NightForce (anything) mk6, mk8, or vcog. I can’t speak to the steiners or Schmidt’s. But I can speak to the p4xi. Holy shit what a value. I have one that’s 1mo old to me. I will likely add it to my above list if things continue like they have. (Solid performer)

In regards to round count my mk6 continues to be king. I keep searching for the next best and there’s no feature set that matches the mk6

1. Aimpoint bright dot. Can have flicker effects outside of “not ideal” eyebox
2. Reticle certainly useable on1x without ilum
3. Weight= awesome. 17oz
4. 1x sight picture is pure 1x. Equal to razor g2/3 for sure.
5. Fucking made in America.
6. Adjustable locking turrets. These turrets are 100% perfect. Every 6x+ LPVO should have these locking turrets.
7. Reticle: you have the tmr-d  for a dmr rifle or the cmr-w 5.56/7.62. Bow the cmr-w is a money reticle.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top