Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/26/2021 12:32:54 PM EDT
I like to analyze and identify the best “bang for your buck” options of various parts on the market during my free time. I was looking at handguards and I’m surprised that more people don’t use ALG EMR rails on their builds.

Before they went out of stock, you could get the 12” V2X (lighter weight) and V3X (full pic rail) for $75/piece!! Even cheaper was their V0-E series that didn’t have attachment points but was a whopping $30.

If I were going to make a pitch, you get a relatively lightweight, American-made, Geissele produced handguard with all the hardware and tools you need for a simple install. That ALG wrench and YouTube instructional video made installation so much easier than most other options.

The only comparable offerings on the market are UTG, Aero R-One/S-One series, and Midwest Industries. We’re going to cross UTG off the list based off of build quality and reputation. The Aero handguards are great if you can find them on a Blem sale, but they’re still going to run you $40-50 more than ALG. Lastly, the Midwest rails are great if you want to prioritize the lightweight factor but they are also quite a bit more expensive.

Am I the only one who came to this conclusion?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#1]
they are the best for sure.  perfect diameter etc.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the original BCM KMR hand guards were the best, not cheap but good value.  Perfect diameter and very light weight.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I need a good 10" M-Lock handguard to convert my AR pistol from Keymod to M-Lock.  I see they're out of those that were discounted .

Rats!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#4]
BCM's MCMR is pretty nice.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:56:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Aero S-One fan here. They work well for my needs.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:00:59 PM EDT
[#6]
No!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:05:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I like to analyze and identify the best “bang for your buck” options of various parts on the market during my free time. I was looking at handguards and I’m surprised that more people don’t use ALG EMR rails on their builds.

Before they went out of stock, you could get the 12” V2X (lighter weight) and V3X (full pic rail) for $75/piece!! Even cheaper was their V0-
View Quote

I'm not sure when they were actually available, I've been checking on them for many months... over a year probably, and none.

Have they always sold out in hours or something?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:10:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm not sure when they were actually available, I've been checking on them for many months... over a year probably, and none.

Have they always sold out in hours or something?
View Quote

I started building my most recent back in October. I do remember seeing a few of the 12” rails in stock for $75. They sold out fast and I remember kicking myself. Then I found one local on the used market for $60. I think the EE or r/ gunaccessoriesforsale is your best bet
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:39:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the EMR-V1. Nice but nothing special. had to unass the tabs to install to a gibbz side-charger. I have 2 Leapers/UTG. Just as good imo. Made in USA. Matrix are ok. As are https://www.chandlerhardwoods.com/HandGuards-s/1837.htm

You could never ever give me another ALG. Without doubt the worst design I've ever seen for the barrel nut / hg assembly. Tried each shim in every configuration. Purchased several others which didn't help. I finally said screw it, cinched well enough for alignment and called it good. One more try and it was gonna be chunked in the pond where it could keep company with other junk.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:32:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Best bang for the buck?  Aim Sport
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have the EMR-V1. Nice but nothing special. had to unass the tabs to install to a gibbz side-charger. I have 2 Leapers/UTG. Just as good imo. Made in USA. Matrix are ok. As are https://www.chandlerhardwoods.com/HandGuards-s/1837.htm

You could never ever give me another ALG. Without doubt the worst design I've ever seen for the barrel nut / hg assembly. Tried each shim in every configuration. Purchased several others which didn't help. I finally said screw it, cinched well enough for alignment and called it good. One more try and it was gonna be chunked in the pond where it could keep company with other junk.
View Quote

The UTG Super Slim looks very similar to ALG. I’ll give them that. It’s cool it’s made in the USA as well. It still looks to be over $100 which isn’t much of a deal I think most people would go with an Aero Handguard.

The ALG installation took a bit of time and research to pay attention to the shims but I love the torque less method. It’s very lightweight too.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Best bang for the bick?  Aim Sport
View Quote

Those don’t look to be USA made as far as I can tell
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:02:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Expo Arms Combat Rail

Sold by Primary Ar.s, OEMd by Cross Machine Tool

UTG Pro build quality is excellent, but their prices have gone up. That's my only real complaint, same thing with STNGR.

There are better options for the money
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I am a big fan of the EMR V3. I liked my Geissele MK4, but the EMR honestly feels better. I like the weight and install of my BCM MCMR better, but it is a little thin. Panels help, but it would honestly be perfect if it were the diameter of the EMR.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:00:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Larue LAT.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:16:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:46:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
i don't think there's a better value than the ALG.  i wrote about it here:

https://thenewrifleman.com/alg-defense-emr-free-floating-handguards-best-value-in-ar15-rails/
View Quote

Good review. Thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:08:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
i don't think there's a better value than the ALG.  i wrote about it here:

https://thenewrifleman.com/alg-defense-emr-free-floating-handguards-best-value-in-ar15-rails/
View Quote

Wow, your article perfectly captures every single thought I had about the EMR series. Well done sir. The robust mounting system is another good point that I didn’t even bring up in this thread.

I saw that article was written almost a year ago. Do you know if ALG has discontinued the rails altogether? I haven’t seen them in stock for some time now.

Consider me a new fan of yours!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:16:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I could have gone with any rail for my go-to rifle but stuck an EMR V2 on it. K.I.S.S. Concept is a big factor.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:26:39 AM EDT
[#21]
I have 4. Can't find anything that works better and costs less.  Even ones that cost more, I can't see the justification for the extra $.

10, 13, 13.75 and 15"

only negative is the QD socket. I install a IWC steel socket in its place.

Attachment Attached File

for those having "issues" with the shims.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Improved-ALG-EMR-Hanguard-Timing-Shim-Chart/12-715990/?

I'm  a fan of LaRue stuff, but the ALG has a better feel being mostly rounds and not an octagon.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#22]
To each their own but ALG despite being from Geissele is not what I would consider to be the best bang for your buck. It doesn't have what I want and that overrules being stingy in my book. So in this case, its subjective function over penny pinching and settling for what I would dislike per se. The lowest I would go and still get the features that I desire for my usage of a rifle is the BCM MCMR. So that's what I see as the best bang for MY buck.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:08:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Expo Arms Combat Rail

Sold by Primary Ar.s, OEMd by Cross Machine Tool

UTG Pro build quality is excellent, but their prices have gone up. That's my only real complaint, same thing with STNGR.

There are better options for the money
View Quote

Yep.

Steal for what you get. Just need more lengths. Wish I could get the 11.5" IWI Zion rail separately(Also OMEd by CMT)
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:11:31 PM EDT
[#24]
double tap
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:42:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
To each their own but ALG despite being from Geissele is not what I would consider to be the best bang for your buck. It doesn't have what I want and that overrules being stingy in my book. So in this case, its subjective function over penny pinching and settling for what I would dislike per se. The lowest I would go and still get the features that I desire for my usage of a rifle is the BCM MCMR. So that's what I see as the best bang for MY buck.
View Quote

What do you want it a rail?

Other than ease of barrel nut install with the BCM, it has more m-lok slots, but it doesn't have built-in qd. I've got both rails and I guess I just don't mount anything at 3 or 6, so I don't notice the missing slots on the ALG. As I said above, I like the weight of the BCM, but I prefer the diameter of the ALG, which is more important to me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Other than ease of barrel nut install with the BCM, it has more m-lok slots, but it doesn't have built-in qd. I've got both rails and I guess I just don't mount anything at 3 or 6, so I don't notice the missing slots on the ALG. As I said above, I like the weight of the BCM, but I prefer the diameter of the ALG, which is more important to me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Built in QD isnt a huge deal. I mean they include a M-Lok QD Adapter with the MCMR.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:24:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yep.

Steal for what you get. Just need more lengths. Wish I could get the 11.5" IWI Zion rail separately(Also OMEd by CMT)
View Quote

This is what you seek, also made by CMT for FCD https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/RHF_p_137.html
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:40:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I want the top to have a continuous 1913 rail. The built in QD is pointless because it's been known for aluminum after awhile to wear out, and since I shoot left handed, I need a 1913 base on top and away from the ejection port to put on an offset QD mount from IWC. Plus I had an MI rail almost like the ALG, and got burned faster than normal due to the heat from the gas tube with nothing in the way to act as a heat sink. And I need that continuous 1913 to also mount a light pressure pad from either Cloud or Modlite.

Like I said previously, different strokes for different folks. If the rail is useless to me, what good will it be just to save a money only to having to spend even more money on accessories to try get what I want out of it? I'm better off with a BCM MCMR, FCD (CMT) RHF, or a KAC URX4. I want to buy once getting what I want out of it and e done with it. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:42:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This is what you seek, also made by CMT for FCD https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/RHF_p_137.html
View Quote

Yeah the FCD CMT Rail is nice but...

The FCD looses the value aspect of the expo. I'll grab a 7075 HDX SLR / Hodge(if I can find one) 11.5" if I'm dipping into the $200's.

Expo combat is around the $100 mark for the CMT rail.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I want the top to have a continuous 1913 rail. The built in QD is pointless because it's been known for aluminum after awhile to wear out, and since I shoot left handed, I need a 1913 base on top and away from the ejection port to put on an offset QD mount from IWC. Plus I had an MI rail almost like the ALG, and got burned faster than normal due to the heat from the gas tube with nothing in the way to act as a heat sink. And I need that continuous 1913 to also mount a light pressure pad from either Cloud or Modlite.

Like I said previously, different strokes for different folks. If the rail is useless to me, what good will it be just to save a money only to having to spend even more money on accessories to try get what I want out of it? I'm better off with a BCM MCMR, FCD (CMT) RHF, or a KAC URX4. I want to buy once getting what I want out of it and e done with it. YMMV.
View Quote
The V3 has a continuous 1913 rail...

And the aluminum qd socket is a $15 fix.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:51:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The V3 has a continuous 1913 rail...

And the aluminum qd socket is a $15 fix.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/108486/5ddc678fec0f66ac27b93721e7d549c5_jpg-1799170.JPG
View Quote

There's no fix I already explained why earlier. I cannot use due to the close proximity to the ejection port with a sling for left handed users. And I need 3 and 9 o'clock positions. Still useless and pointless again.

Anyways I spoke my mind which was contrary to the OP's post to validate that saving money isn't always worth it when it offers nothing to a certain percentage of people's preferences. Besides it's great to have so many options out there. Find what you like and have at it. We can all like different things and I'm okay with that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:08:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Yes, there are better bang-for-buck rails, but only because ALG discontinued the V1.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Built in QD isnt a huge deal. I mean they include a M-Lok QD Adapter with the MCMR.
View Quote

No it isn't, but it is a feature, and he was talking features. From further down it sounds like he didn't know about the EMR V3. His gripe about no m-lok slots at 3 & 6 is legit and the main downfall to me of the V2 & V3. The V1 has more slots, but it doesn't have a top rail. I wish they'd combine the V1 m-lok slots with the V3 top rail.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

No it isn't, but it is a feature, and he was talking features. From further down it sounds like he didn't know about the EMR V3. His gripe about no m-lok slots at 3 & 6 is legit and the main downfall to me of the V2 & V3. The V1 has more slots, but it doesn't have a top rail. I wish they'd combine the V1 m-lok slots with the V3 top rail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah that was my issue with the ALG, I wanted to use an Arisaka 1" M-lok mount on the left side but it interfered with my BUIS deployment button. Also I had to use more rail covers than I wanted.

Honestly I regret selling this upper. But the best thing about the ALG Rail is that it was made specifically for use with a G Super Gas Block. The G Super Gas Block has clearance issues with other rails. It's bomb proof once it's all installed.

" />
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't like my V0-E.  

Best bang for buck

AERO PRECISION
STNGR
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:29:20 AM EDT
[#38]
I like Parallax FFSSR rails.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:19:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Those are nice, I just hate timing NSR style barrel nuts/rails.

Its a damn shame PT went outa business because of california.... They made good stuff and had blem sales
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:11:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Its a damn shame PT went outa business because of california.... They made good stuff and had blem sales
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, but I’ve been lucky with the last couple that have NOT needed any shims.  And the shim thing is offset by using a standard 1 1/4 wrench to tighten the barrel nut.  

I bought a couple of blems direct, then 2 or 3 more from B Kings.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 12:51:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Larue LAT for $10/inch is the answer you seek, OP.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Larue LAT for $10/inch is the answer you seek, OP.
View Quote

They look nice, but stock is an issue.

Ordered one before the panic and had to cancel after a month. I really wish retailers carried these
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#43]
I have their v1 15" and love it, no rail on top at all though which would be nice.

It's was absolutely perfect on my 6.8 hog gun until I added spot light to the front and had to add rails for the light and ribbon switch :(  still excellent, just one of those "wish i had gotten one with XXXX"
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 5:28:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Sadly I just checked ALG’s site and their other rail options that were on sale are no longer listed.

The only choices are the V2X and V3X for $145 each.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 7:19:45 PM EDT
[#45]
If you're looking for ways to save money as much as possible, Expo Arms is a Primary Arms house brand made by legit US makers. Their BCG's are Microbest, their rails are CMT, and uppers by Mega's shop under the Zev name.

$89.96 - Expo Arms® M-LOK Handguard - Black - 15"

If I was on a budget, I would not hesitate to get one ^^
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:10:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yes, there are better bang-for-buck rails, but only because ALG discontinued the V1.
View Quote

The V1 is the best in my opinion. They need to get their asses in gear and make more. Round all the way around is best rail for me.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 2:17:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The V1 is the best in my opinion. They need to get their asses in gear and make more. Round all the way around is best rail for me.
View Quote

With the exception of the small pic rail at the front, the V2 is pretty close. Not a fan of the m-lok locations on that?
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 9:16:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If you're looking for ways to save money as much as possible, Expo Arms is a Primary Arms house brand made by legit US makers. Their BCG's are Microbest, their rails are CMT, and uppers by Mega's shop under the Zev name.

View Quote

Expo arms are good, but ALG are much more stout. Like a geissele mk 8
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But the Expo has actual features that I actually use while the ALG would be a waste of money to me really, and the Expo has anti torque lugs making your point mute to me. I'd rather buy the Mk 8 from Geissele as it has the features that I use and like.

Like I've said before in this thread, to each their own.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 10:05:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

But the Expo has actual features that I actually use while the ALG would be a waste of money to me really, and the Expo has anti torque lugs making your point mute to me. I'd rather buy the Mk 8 from Geissele as it has the features that I use and like.

Like I've said before in this thread, to each their own.
View Quote

By stout I mean there’s no flex in the fore arm, as compared to the expo arms. I’ve had both

Not trying to argue with you, nor do I care to, just sharing some insight to anyone else who may be reading this thread since you posted a public comment
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top