Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2022 10:57:36 AM EDT
I am very anal about cleaning my guns. I might let them sit for a day or two after range use, but when I clean an AR after a full day on the range (400 - 1000 rounds)....I'm on the gun for 2 hours cleaning.

Is it time to invest in a good ultrasonic cleaner that can handle a little Simple Green (Aircraft & Precision) and hot water?

The alternative is a parts washer. Would buy a none Harbor Freight one so the pump would last. Add a filter and a bucket heater. Utilize the water and Simple Green there as well. Or....fill it with mineral spirits and hope the lid keeps it from evaporating? I don't have that much more room in shop, so that's why I'm leaning towards ultrasonic cleaner.

TL/DR:  Recommend me a quality ultrasonic cleaner for BCG parts and handgun / parts.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Hornady Hot Tub.

I literally never use it.

It destroys cerakote. Ruined a $600 cerakote job on one of my rifles and the cerakote on a suppressor as well.

Also it cleans so well that you need to strip it all down to relube anyway.

I let a friend borrow it over a year ago. If I never get it back it won't be the end of the world.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 11:18:19 AM EDT
[#2]
iSonic P4890
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 2:30:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a Hornady Hot Tub.

I literally never use it.

It destroys cerakote. Ruined a $600 cerakote job on one of my rifles and the cerakote on a suppressor as well.

Also it cleans so well that you need to strip it all down to relube anyway.

I let a friend borrow it over a year ago. If I never get it back it won't be the end of the world.
View Quote

isn't that the point? I can't imagine an ultrasonic cleaner ruining cerakote? However, I do own a Cerakoted Glock that was done so piss poorly by a "gunsmith" that I would never throw in there. But on properly done silencers and lower receivers, I don't see an issue.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

isn't that the point? I can't imagine an ultrasonic cleaner ruining cerakote? However, I do own a Cerakoted Glock that was done so piss poorly by a "gunsmith" that I would never throw in there. But on properly done silencers and lower receivers, I don't see an issue.
View Quote

Then feel free to roll the dice.

0-2 on having cerakoted pieces survive. And the rifle that had the damage was damaged on the upper receiver and rail. So it wasn't just a single bad spot or anything.

And when it cleans so well you need to get a coat of oil on every single piece to prevent rust, then yes, I argue you can clean too well.

It's analogous to washing the protective oils off your skin. But for your expensive firearms.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 3:28:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I gave away my ultrasonic cleaner.  I use Mpro-7 and that gets things plenty clean.

I have to brake cleaner a slide tonight to degrease for some silicone sealer and vibra-tite to set.

2 hours cleaning a gun.    If you aren't turning it in to an armorer or facing an inspection, that is a waste.

It is easier to pick up a dirty gun or partly dirty gun and take it to the range.  One time in history, were all of my guns clean, and I didn't want to go to the range.  Luckily that didn't last long.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a ultra sonic mostly for cleaning rimfire suppressor parts.

I shoot almost everything suppressed so my stuff gets dirty fast.
I have used it on disassembled BCG parts. Did a good job but I only did that one time.
Tan Pmags I left in there a lot time, still not as clean as 1 minute just wiping them off.
Did a disassembled pistol once. Does a good job, just seems like overkill and takes a while.

It is sometimes handy for non gun stuff.
Mostly sits on the shelf. but so do a lot of other specialty tools.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 4:23:31 PM EDT
[#7]
i have a hornady ultrasonic that i bought for cleaning reloading brass.

I ended up mostly using it for cleaning pistol barrels and occasionally AR15 bolt carrier groups.

It is GREAT at cleaning pistol barrels. I just zap them for 15 minutes with a cap full of the hornady gun parts solution and they are mostly good to go.

I have heard that you shouldn't put aluminum parts in them, but no issues with the steel barrels/BCGs that I've done so far. I wouldn't be surprised to find that it removes the finish but I haven't noticed yet.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 4:55:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Hmm, I swear I've read several guys here that just rave about ultrasonic cleaners.

Here's the deal...I'm sure it depends on the type and quality of the machine, as well as the water / solution used.

I work in the oil / gas filtration business. I have a guy that does all of my industrial ultrasonic cleaning of metal filter elements. You should see how some of these pleated mesh filters look coming out of hydrocarbon service. They are returned spotless when he's done with them and they are checked with black light and even bubble point tested.

So I know it's possible to get BCG parts cleaned like new. It's just a matter of how much do I want to invest in the machine.

The other option (and not a bad one), is a dedicated parts cleaner with either water / Simple Green or mineral spirits.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 5:36:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I use 50/50 simple green concentrate and water.

If you want you BCG parts spotless it will do it. I guess I don't get that worried about it and don't shoot as much as I would like to.

For me it's like I dedicate a day to cleaning stuff, get it off shelf and load cleaning solution.
ETA: Let it heat up.
Disassemble stuff to clean. Run the Ultra sonic for a couple hours. Rinse and dry everything.
Lube and assemble everything.
Dump solution, clean and store ultra sonic.

If you spend a lot of time getting stuff spotless, then get one. Mine was like $90.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 2/2/2022 11:22:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I use 50/50 simple green concentrate and water.

If you want you BCG parts spotless it will do it. I guess I don't get that worried about it and don't shoot as much as I would like to.

For me it's like I dedicate a day to cleaning stuff, get it off shelf and load cleaning solution.
ETA: Let it heat up.
Disassemble stuff to clean. Run the Ultra sonic for a couple hours. Rinse and dry everything.
Lube and assemble everything.
Dump solution, clean and store ultra sonic.

If you spend a lot of time getting stuff spotless, then get one. Mine was like $90.

www.amazon.com/dp/B00HLBKNOY
View Quote

And you’ve never had the finish get messed up on any parts from it?
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

And you’ve never had the finish get messed up on any parts from it?
View Quote

No, but I have never put aluminum in it and don't own any Cerakote other than suppressor tubes and have not put them in it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 2:08:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I just picked-up and started using an ultrasonic cleaner.  I've been informed that an ultrasonic *will* destroy a cerakote or other type of finish.  I put some stainless parts in mine last night - I needed to do some light scrubbing to get some carbon off, but it cleaned-up nicely.  

Net-net:  I've been told - don't put aluminum or cerakote/painted parts in a such a cleaner as the AL will pit and it'll destroy finishes.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 3:43:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just picked-up and started using an ultrasonic cleaner.  I've been informed that an ultrasonic *will* destroy a cerakote or other type of finish.  I put some stainless parts in mine last night - I needed to do some light scrubbing to get some carbon off, but it cleaned-up nicely.  

Net-net:  I've been told - don't put aluminum or cerakote/painted parts in a such a cleaner as the AL will pit and it'll destroy finishes.
View Quote

What do you think would happen to an anodized charging handle?
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't think soaking in simple green is good for aluminum, fine to use to clean and rinse.
Maybe there is other stuff you could put in the tank to do alum.

A CH is pretty easy to clean with a rag.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 4:50:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#16]
OP, you seem pretty adamant about getting one and keep defending their use despite others with actual experience to just be careful.

We aren't doing this for our benefit. We are doing it for yours.

If you want to deprecate others I doubt that will work well for you.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 8:08:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I have seen them screw up finishes also. Takes some know how to use and what to use as a cleaner. Not worth hassle in my book for cleaning guns but I will also just leave my AR dirty.

Now if I was rebuilding carbs on the regular I would own one.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 9:25:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OP, you seem pretty adamant about getting one and keep defending their use despite others with actual experience to just be careful.

We aren't doing this for our benefit. We are doing it for yours.

If you want to deprecate others I doubt that will work well for you.
View Quote

Your comprehension of my intentions is way off. Just playing devils advocate and trying to question things and learn.

I’m actually not getting an ultrasonic cleaner now. Going to try a parts washer setup instead.

Link Posted: 2/3/2022 9:30:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I assumed this thread was about cleaning brass.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Can confirm ultrasonic will ruin cerakote.  They don't do a good job of cleaning, especially baked on carbon.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 12:00:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought a cheap fuck china one a while back.  I remove the bcg, disassemble it and throw it in the cleaner.  I clean the rest of the gun while the cleaner is running.  When finished it all goes back together.  Easy peasy and cut my cleaning time by alot.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 12:00:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I like them for carburetors. But from what I have seen using them for gun parts, they remind me of treadmills and assorted home gym equipment. Used madly in the beginning then either set outside in a yard sale or remaining in the house as one helluva coat hanger.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 5:27:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Use mine all the time, it's actually running right now.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 10:55:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I bought a cheap fuck china one a while back.  I remove the bcg, disassemble it and throw it in the cleaner.  I clean the rest of the gun while the cleaner is running.  When finished it all goes back together.  Easy peasy and cut my cleaning time by alot.
View Quote

That’s why I was mainly looking at them…for the BCG while I hand cleaned the bore and upper receiver.

Plenty of mixed reviews.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 8:59:43 AM EDT
[#25]
For an AR BCG, get some odorless Mineral Spirits and fill an olive or pickle jar with it. Drop the entire BCG into it, let sit overnight and wipe it off in the a.m. Unless of course you need it next to your bed with plate carrier and nods

I do need to get some purple power though as I now have some baffles to clean.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:02:39 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd stay clear of the cerekoted/painted stuff in the ultrasonic cleaner and read up on which cleaners can safely be used with the anodized aluminum and steel parts. Some of the cleaners contain an etching agent such as sodium hydroxide in it(caustic soda, lye) which is used to desmutt Aluminum before anodizing- it will eat the part(I actually shrank an 80 percent lower by a few .000's). I have used WD-40 degreaser with no problems on uncoated aluminum but I do not trust anything enough to let it soak for more than 30 minutes. As far as Steel goes, I bought some stuff which we use at work to clean the fuel injectors out of our Mirrliss Blackstone generators and then some mineral spirits or paint thinner to degrease.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:30:57 PM EDT
[#27]
To be honest I think investing in a better BCG is a better idea. The Giessele Nano (REBCG) or the Suerfire bcg are probably the only two BCGs that I would say are the easiest to clean. Other BCGs like the ones from Colt or any other standard BCG seem to build a lot of crud where the piston gas goes through. I spend a very long time cleaning them but with the other BCGs that have better surface finishes tend to be super easy to clean. I wish I could demonstrate it with a video because I could spend maybe 15-30 minutes top cleaning the bcg whereas the normal bcgs I'm spending hours, sometimes coming back the following day and sometimes there's a burn mark or something in there that is really hard to clean off.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
For an AR BCG, get some odorless Mineral Spirits and fill an olive or pickle jar with it. Drop the entire BCG into it, let sit overnight and wipe it off in the a.m. Unless of course you need it next to your bed with plate carrier and nods

I do need to get some purple power though as I now have some baffles to clean.
View Quote

I say with confidence the mineral spirit soak and wipe legend is a fallacy. It doesn't work.  Have tried numerous times, including multi day soak-wipe-soak-wipe schedules. Ultrasonic cleaning on the other hand, break it down throw it in there for 30 mins, works great. BCGs come out as seemingly as clean as the day I got them. Have you honestly tried the mineral spirits soak method, and you're going to say you were able to "wipe it off in the a.m." ??? Have you tried ultrasonic cleaning one?
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top