Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2020 5:02:30 PM EDT
Is a spring and buffer even needed in a 22 rimfire conversion?  

From the looks of the finish wear on my lower receiver at the top of the buffer tube I think all the recoil is being absorbed right there!

(If not needed, I'm going to re-task by spring and buffer...)
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 5:27:22 PM EDT
[#1]
No, not if the upper is properly sized and all is within spec.

The conversion frame *should* be retained by the top of the buffer retainer ring on the lower.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 5:55:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a dedicated 22lr upper

No spring or buffer needed, although I have one in the lower so I can quickly swap to .556
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope

Link Posted: 10/22/2020 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Those were the "right" answers.  Thanks all!  

The conversion unit is a nice tight fit in front of the receiver ring.

Relocating buffer and spring to a different project....
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 8:22:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Not needed
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 5:05:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I love it, reminds me of an upgraded explorer 2. Looks like my next pistol build.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 3:13:10 PM EDT
[#8]
So - I have found if you have no movement in the barrel collar - should be fine.  If the collar slides back and forth when the bolt is closed, on my conversion, I have found there may be some lite primer strikes.  I have removed the buffer catch and use a a Taccom buffer spacer with a std carbine spring. The spacer is against the bolt and keeps some pressure on the bolt assembly tight against barrel.  It helped me with the light primer strikes. Taccom and Catch 22 make plugs to keep pressure against the bolt - I just did my own with the spacer and junk spring I had around.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So - I have found if you have no movement in the barrel collar - should be fine.
View Quote

Thanks,

This upper/lower combination positions the conversion bolt solidly.  I should be OK.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Most of mine I run without. I do run a simple Hardware spring and a pressure plug that Tim from Taccom gifted me several years ago in the AR22 I run my Binary Trigger in..Not even sure why I do that though,LOL
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 8:19:04 PM EDT
[#11]
But you probably do need the little bumper thing that goes in behind the bolt.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 3:18:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I guess I do not know what you are referring to.  The only thing that I ever use behind the .22LR bolt in an AR pattern gun be it pistol or rifle is an anti-bounce weight when I'm shooting full auto.  No bumper, buffer, pad, cushion, no nothing at all.  The tab at the top of the back of the .22LR assembly frame rests up against the top of the lower receiver.

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 7:52:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I guess I do not know what you are referring to.  The only thing that I ever use behind the .22LR bolt in an AR pattern gun be it pistol or rifle is an anti-bounce weight when I'm shooting full auto.  No bumper, buffer, pad, cushion, no nothing at all.  The tab at the top of the back of the .22LR assembly frame rests up against the top of the lower receiver.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably this kinda thing:
https://borebuddy.com/product/22lr-plug/
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 4:05:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, that is not needed. It would be an exercise in the use of hyperspace to install one of those in my pistol and all the others like it:

And AR lower receiver end caps (aka 'pistol plugs') have been around for decades, made by a number of companies.  Off the top of my head, Model 1 Sales, Slipstream Precision, Spikes Tactical, TAPCO, and Olympic Arms.  And the only reasons I have the end cap are to keep contamination from getting into the lower and for aesthetics.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#15]

What brand/model are those little pistol style sights?  Look like very minimalist iron sights!
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 7:04:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What brand/model are those little pistol style sights?  Look like very minimalist iron sights!
View Quote

The sights are takeoffs from a Glock 19.  The mounting adapter set is from High Tower Armory:
https://www.hightowerarmory.com/HTA-Glock-Sight-Bases-MULTI-Base_p_53.html
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 7:04:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No, that is not needed. It would be an exercise in the use of hyperspace to install one of those in my pistol and all the others like it:
https://i.imgur.com/uiaYOKq.jpg
And AR lower receiver end caps (aka 'pistol plugs') have been around for decades, made by a number of companies.  Off the top of my head, Model 1 Sales, Slipstream Precision, Spikes Tactical, TAPCO, and Olympic Arms.  And the only reasons I have the end cap are to keep contamination from getting into the lower and for aesthetics.
View Quote

@SecondAmend

What’s the build list on that bad boy.  That’s pretty damned intriguing...
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

@SecondAmend

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@SecondAmend

The parts are: previously noted Glock sights on HTA adapters; Guntec 4" hand guard; Chinese hand stop; CMMG .22LR unit and 4.5" bbl. plus a 1.5" extension and thread protector; RTB 9mm/.22 upper with standard AR-15 CH; standard AR-15 lower and LPK with TAPCO "SAW pattern" grip; and end cap assembled from various AR parts with the back plate drilled and tapped for the lanyard swivel, and a plug from the cabinetry section of the hardware store.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 8:01:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The parts are: previously noted Glock sights on HTA adapters; Guntec 4" hand guard; Chinese hand stop; CMMG .22LR unit and 4.5" bbl. plus a 1.5" extension and thread protector; RTB 9mm/.22 upper with standard AR-15 CH; standard AR-15 lower and LPK with TAPCO "SAW pattern" grip; and end cap assembled from various AR parts with the back plate drilled and tapped for the lanyard swivel, and a plug from the cabinetry section of the hardware store.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@SecondAmend

Thanks for the info...that’s quite the build you up have there.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@SecondAmend

You are very welcome. And thank you for the compliment.
What I would have liked to have simply bought was this:
https://www.gibbzarms.com/product/g9-22lr-builders-kit/
or this:
https://www.jardinc.com/jard-j21-pistol
Unfortunately for me, either of those side charge, buffer tube-less AR pattern AR pistols are out of my price range.  But they do show that there are currently commercially available buffer tube-less AR pattern .22LR pistols, in addition to the formerly produced Olympic Arms K22P pistol.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 6:20:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The sights are takeoffs from a Glock 19.  The mounting adapter set is from High Tower Armory:
https://www.hightowerarmory.com/HTA-Glock-Sight-Bases-MULTI-Base_p_53.html
View Quote

Thank you.  I didn't know those existing.

Now, of course, I NEED a set!
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 2:32:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Ditto - Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#23]
As stated, it’s not needed..

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 9:45:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top