Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2022 3:16:53 AM EDT
Picture says it all. I took my rifle shooting in the rain once. Figured I wasn't the first person to be caught in a downpour with an AR. Cleaned as per usual after shooting and dried off the gun. I've noticed the safety selector looking orange. FN said they were sending me an entirely new assembly a month ago and I'm starting to think they're going back on their word so I'm wondering if it's worth buying a new part, or if this looks normal:

Link Posted: 1/3/2022 4:09:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Little bit of oxidation tarnish, it happens.  You should give it a little CLP and you'll be all right.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 4:22:17 AM EDT
[#2]
too much free time
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 4:54:23 AM EDT
[#3]
BWAHAHAHAHA

Amazing. Old enough to purchase a deadly weapon, not experienced enough in life to recognize rust.

When I went through Parris Island in the summer time we would wake up every morning and everyones rifles hung on the end of their racks would be orange from handguard cap to muzzle device. Bright fuzzy orange. We’d give them a wipe with CLP and move on with the Plan Of The Day.

Wipe it with an oily rag and move on with your life. Consider taking up golf instead.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 7:18:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BWAHAHAHAHA

Amazing. Old enough to purchase a deadly weapon, not experienced enough in life to recognize rust.

When I went through Parris Island in the summer time we would wake up every morning and everyones rifles hung on the end of their racks would be orange from handguard cap to muzzle device. Bright fuzzy orange. We’d give them a wipe with CLP and move on with the Plan Of The Day.

Wipe it with an oily rag and move on with your life. Consider taking up golf instead.
View Quote

Similar experience, similar recommendations.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 7:45:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
too much free time
View Quote

True.  Wipe it down and move on.  Absolutely no need for a new part.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 8:29:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Toss it down the driveway.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 8:45:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Toss it down the driveway.
View Quote

LOL, maybe when the BATFE is abolished, and I can have Congress buy me an M16 to take home when this one wears out. In the meantime I'm stuck looking after my things, and things cost money.

Obviously I wiped at it when it was noticed. It didn't change, so I came here to inquire. Appreciate the info!
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 9:43:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

LOL, maybe when the BATFE is abolished, and I can have Congress buy me an M16 to take home when this one wears out. In the meantime I'm stuck looking after my things, and things cost money.

Obviously I wiped at it when it was noticed. It didn't change, so I came here to inquire. Appreciate the info!
View Quote

No third hole.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 12:03:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Figure out what thread it is, go buy a bag off stainless steel black oxide cap screws from McMaster-Carr.
or
Take better care of your weapon.

I built a custom 10" barrel Ruger .22 mk-1 back in the late '70s, using an old chunk of Remington rifle barrel.
Liked the two tone look of the bare steel upper, on the blued frame so much, I never did anything about refinishing the thing.
Carried it small game hunting for years, in rain, snow, cold weather, never picked up any rust.
Wiped it down before heading into the woods, wiped it down again upon getting home.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
or
Take better care of your weapon.
View Quote

Your care routine is identical to the one I mentioned. Others say what’s on my firearm is normal. So which one is it? Normal, or poor maintenance? Poor maintenance seemed unlikely, so was the part poorly finished by whomever FN orders this screw from?

Hence me asking.

This is my $1600 rifle, and it doesn’t say property of the US Govt on it, therefore I’m not going to be throwing it down anyone’s driveway any time soon. If I can prevent it from being “fuzzy orange” I will.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 7:48:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Your care routine is identical to the one I mentioned. Others say what’s on my firearm is normal. So which one is it? Normal, or poor maintenance? Poor maintenance seemed unlikely, so was the part poorly finished by whomever FN orders this screw from?

Hence me asking.

This is my $1600 rifle, and it doesn’t say property of the US Govt on it, therefore I’m not going to be throwing it down anyone’s driveway any time soon. If I can prevent it from being “fuzzy orange” I will.
View Quote

You stated it was an M16 and the BATF etc.  It isn't full auto, no third hole, and a transferable full auto weapon is gonna cost way more than that.  

Enough, put some oil on that, if you even own it, and be done with it.  

Link Posted: 1/3/2022 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You stated it was an M16 and the BATF etc.  It isn't full auto, no third hole, and a transferable full auto weapon is gonna cost way more than that.  

View Quote

Didn’t mean to confuse you! I don’t own an M16, but if I could get taxpayers to buy me one I’d be inclined to care less about my rifle.

It was a joke made in reference to earlier replies.

Cut me some slack. School wasn’t uphill both ways for me.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 9:52:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Hit it with 0000 steel wool, keep it lubed. Cap screws tend to rust quickest.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 10:20:19 PM EDT
[#14]
What does it taste like?  Rust has a very distinctive, metallic, almost 'rusty' taste to it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Black oxide finish on cap screws is notorious for rusting, one of the reasons I use all stainless fasteners in my engine builds,
and the reason I've started using the black stainless cap screws on anything on my ARs (partially I'm getting lazy in my old age).
Black Oxide SS cap screws

But they are not more prone to rust than bare steel...
Hence the maintenance thing.
What oil are you wiping the thing down with ?

You say WD-40, or you can go sit in the corner for a 15 minute time out.
Sorry, but CLP products are not that much better.

I have been using LPS-3 for going on 50 years, and also strait silicone oil.

Also, where are you storing the rifle ?
Some where cool, that warm, moist air circulates past will lead to moister accumulating, even if you can't see it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 6:10:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's not what he said at all.

[color=#ff0000]
maybe when the BATFE is abolished, and I can have Congress buy me an M16 to take home when this one wears out
[/color]

Link Posted: 1/5/2022 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#17]
FN threw an entire ambi safety assembly in the mail for me today under warranty coverage. The part number includes the whole thing, not just the cap screw.

Hopefully the threadlocker lets it go!
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 7:14:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
FN threw an entire ambi safety assembly in the mail for me today under warranty coverage. The part number includes the whole thing, not just the cap screw.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 7:51:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Really?  Going to replace parts once they show use.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 10:10:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Really?  Going to replace parts once they show use.
View Quote

Would you put a new set of tires on your vehicle if yours were bald, and the manufacturer gave you a new set? We’re talking about taking the rifle to the range once to sight it in, and once in the rain to confirm zero at various distances. Maybe 4 magazines ran through it?

It’s not surface rust on a pistol you carried all summer that can be wiped off. It’s ugly soldier’s gold that symbolizes, in my opinion, neglect. Which is unacceptable to me on such a new rifle. Then there’s the fact this part has been stripped by other members, and I’d rather not have to dremel it off in the future if it worsens.

Some of you need to stop making assumptions. Contrary to what you think, I’m not a moron. The part actually looked worse. I took scotch-brite to it with CLP before I came here. That’s why there’s blue flakes on it in my closeup photo.

It didn’t come back around to a silver color, so I thought perhaps it was natural heat treatment discoloration, or not rust. Simple as that.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Get an old toothbrush and some CLP. Let the CLP sit on it for 15 - 20 minutes, and then hit it with the toothbrush. Repeat as needed. However, if you've been considering an upgrade anyways, it wouldn't be a bad time to swap it out.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:55:07 AM EDT
[#22]
OP cant identify rust

OP thinks his negligence = defective part

OP thinks he is competent to replace the part after an entire thread showcasing his childish naivete
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:03:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Rust? Yeah, minor surface rust perhaps. Not the end of the world.

Add a stiff bristle chip brush (or cheap paint brush) to your cleaning tools. Once you're done cleaning your AR and it's all reassembled, squirt a VERY small amount of CLP on the brush. Use this to give your entire AR a brush down. Follow up with a quick wipe down with a rag. This should help keep light surface rust from forming. Make this a part of your cleaning routine.

Quib
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top