Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2018 1:50:40 PM EDT
Picked up a very rare M-16 upper last month.....

I have seen photos of these but never seen one in person!

Are there many of these out there?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Jim
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 2:18:01 PM EDT
[#1]
No not many and as I understand they were made for the Colt Model 605 which was never produced in great numbers, as the ARMY only bought just a few for testing.  Others here will know more about it...
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 6:50:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No not many and as I understand they were made for the Colt Model 605 which was never produced in great numbers, as the ARMY only bought just a few for testing.  Others here will know more about it...
View Quote
The Air Force also used them for some of their 604s when non-forward assist forging were unavailable.  They are basically a 603 upper forging with the forward assist machined off before milling.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The Air Force also used them for some of their 604s when non-forward assist forging were unavailable.  They are basically a 603 upper forging with the forward assist machined off before milling.
View Quote
This.

The Rock Island Arsenal Museum in IL has a 604 with such an upper on display.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 8:54:28 PM EDT
[#4]
That is a tough one to find. Much easier to find a NodakSpud repro than a Colt. Nice find!
Now, then, will you build a 605 with it?
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:00:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That is a tough one to find. Much easier to find a NodakSpud repro than a Colt. Nice find!
Now, then, will you build a 605 with it?
View Quote
Speaking of, other than nodak has anyone else ever made a repo 605 upper? I've always kinda wanted to make a 604 out of one just because I like how unique these look.
I've seen both colts and nodaks come up infrequently on GB, but figured it was worth asking.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Braceman can profile one for you. You will need to provide him with the 603 style upper. Only draw back you can't anodize it once done.
ETA;
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I knew there was someone here who could make custom 605s. Thanks. Some day when I have a bit more disposable income I might try to find a C7 and send it off to him, make a unique receiver my lefty GF can shoot too.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 2:36:32 PM EDT
[#9]
"......The Rock Island Arsenal Museum in IL has a 604 with such an upper on display....."

Here is a photo of that upper........however the lower is not the original and is a later one.

Attachment Attached File

Jim
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 2:59:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

"......The Rock Island Arsenal Museum in IL has a 604 with such an upper on display....."

Here is a photo of that upper........however the lower is not the original and is a later one.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433532/M-16-574567.JPG

Jim
View Quote
What makes you say it's a later lower?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 3:32:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I saw some of the "605" uppers on British "AR-15s" from the 1960s. Commercial, export guns.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 3:36:12 PM EDT
[#12]
"....Colt requested permission to use 603 forgings to fulfill military contracts for the 604 when 604 forgings were in short supply. Its continuing association with the 605 is more a testament to Colt’s tendency to use whatever parts were laying around to build prototypes than a “605 upper” configuration...."

There may be some confusion here.......

This upper receiver is from a Colt 02 ( 602 ) rifle from Contract DA-11-199-AMC-508 ...................

According to my research of Government documents and data :

Contract DA-11-199-AMC-508 was signed with Colt on November 4. 1964. This contract was for M16 rifles for the US Air Force and for XM16E1 rifles for the US Army.

Early in the beginning of the contract deliveries Colt's subcontractor for M16 upper receiver forgings fell behind in deliveries. This in turn caused possible delays in deliveries of these rifles to the Air Force.
In order to keep up production of the Air Force rifles Colt asked for a RTA  (RTA #49) to use XM16E1 upper receivers in production of the M16 rifles.
Colt proposed to use the XM16E1 upper and mill off the forward assist area. This was accepted by the Govt. and deliveries to the Air Force were continued .
These modified upper receivers were used in production of Air Force M16 rifles in January to March of 1965.

Jim
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#13]
".....What makes you say it's a later lower? ...."

The serial number of the lower. It appears to be a later produced unit.

Jim
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 4:15:10 PM EDT
[#14]
[b]Quoted:[\b]

There may be some confusion here.......

This upper receiver is from a Colt 02 ( 602 ) rifle from Contract DA-11-199-AMC-508 ...................
View Quote
That upper is NOT from a factory correct Colt 02 (602) rifle.  It MAY have been mated to a 602 lower during a rebuild, but it never would have left the Colt factory on a 602 lower
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 6:57:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That upper is NOT from a factory correct Colt 02 (602) rifle.  It MAY have been mated to a 602 lower during a rebuild, but it never would have left the Colt factory on a 602 lower
View Quote
+1

602s were out of production by Nov 64
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#16]
".......That upper is NOT from a factory correct Colt 02 (602) rifle. It MAY have been mated to a 602 lower during a rebuild, but it never would have left the Colt factory on a 602 lower...."

I would be very appreciative if you would show some actual documentation for this statement .

Jim
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#17]
".....602s were out of production by Nov 64..."

Strangely, Colt model listings show the Air Force M-16's built under the DA-11-199-AMC-508 contracts to be model 602......Production under this contract did not begin until after the contract was signed on November 4, 1964.

(my edit here..) This should have been November 4, 1963 and not 1964.

As much as I don't like to use it ( due to mistakes) "the Black Rifle" part II , page 269 clearly lists the USAF M16 rifles in this contract as " Model No. R0602 ".

This is backed up by "Small Arms of the World" 11th Edition ( 1977) , page 568, " Colt AR-15, M-16, M-16A1 Model Numbers" "Early US Govt Purchase , w/o forward assist, ( Model ) 602..." This was the contract after the Model 601.

I should note here ..I am talking about the model number for the USAF rifles and NOT what was roll marked on the lower receiver. These are two different things.

It is the USAF rifles produced under the contract DA-11-199-AMC-508 that the RTA's were approved to use these upper receivers.

This is not to be confused with the later USAF rifle contracts ( Model 604).

Jim
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:20:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

".....What makes you say it's a later lower? ...."

The serial number of the lower. It appears to be a later produced unit.

Jim
View Quote
I'm assuming you noticed it's a partial fence lower?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:46:28 PM EDT
[#19]
"....I'm assuming you noticed it's a partial fence lower? ...."

Thank you.......Yes I did , however.... at this stage in my research I cannot say definitely when the captive front take-down pin was put into production.......so the serial number is a better choice to determine a time frame.

The lower receiver does have the roll pin securing the buffer tube but the front/rear take-down pins and the safety/selector do not have the center divot for disassembly by the firing pin.

It may be that this lower has gone through a rebuild at some time.

Jim
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 7:51:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 8:22:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The Air Force purchased 8,500 Colt Model 02s prior to the -508 contract, which were designated simply "AR-15," what we would call a COTS designation today, but they were U.S. Property marked.

The -508 "one time purchase" contract was for the M16 and XM16E1--both the 603 and 604 were developed from the 602, the -508 Contract, therefore, was essentially for "modified 602s" that would become the XM16E1 (603) with the manual bolt closure device added per the Army's request, and the M16 (604) with the manual bolt closure device omitted per Air Force request.

The contract was written for what existed (602), but we are ultimately discussing what they became, prior to the contract, the M16 and XM16E1 were at best prototypes [having been built by modifying 602s] that had not been granted a model number, -508 "created them," and ordered those 602-based prototypes into production, which then became the 603 and 604.

It's just like this little bugger:

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj633/TRIMDAD/00D24DAF-A475-46A6-80FC-B10FCFC93558.jpg

Built on a 602 lower, but I wouldn't call it a 602 (I've fought this fight before), but it never went in to production, so it never got any kind of model number that anyone has been able to find.

Regardless of the semantics of the model numbers--the upper in question was primarily used for M16 rifles being delivered to the Air Force.

~Augee
View Quote
" />

So what your saying is I need a 602 lower now?

(Got a Brownells partial fence on it now at least.)
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 1:04:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 5:41:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

NICE!

I was wondering when someone would actually build a real replica of one and actually try to replicate the FSB/gas system length versus just using a standard midlength barrel. Sadly I don’t float around the Retro forum as much as I used to, so I must’ve missed yours.

I’d been thinking that someone should build one since I saw it inTBR, and I figured it for sure wouldn’t be long once the VickersGuide came out, IMHO, that book would be worth it just for the high quality photographs of the weird and wonderful prototypes in Reed Knight’s collection, even if they did make me hack down a lot of the historical write ups!

Did you actually replicate the gas system? Or just simulate it with a hidden gas block under the handguards?

The lower on the original appears to have been a fairly “standard” U.S. Property marked AR-15/602 with lots of early parts, but with the property markings milled off in a little pocket, and obviously the fourth position added, but with the “SEMI” in the traditional “AUTO” position, would be rad if you could make a custom selector with 180o throw to “SEMI.”

~Augee
View Quote
Naw it's just a modern middy with the modified FSB.

The original has a longer gas system and I had to cut down the handguards one hole shorter than the original.

Epoxied inserts under the rear of the cut portion of the back of the handguards and then filed them down to fit inside the Heat N Beat 607 rear cap.

On the front I had to cut the original "lips" off and reprofile to fit under the front cap so I could keep the holes all whole.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 7:08:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

...According to my research of Government documents and data :

...These modified upper receivers were used in production of Air Force M16 rifles in January to March of 1965.

Jim
View Quote
Regardless of the signing date of the contract, the Colt Model 602 was most definitely out of production by that production time frame, having been superseded by the Model 604 for USAF use.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top