Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2018 9:38:36 PM EDT
Looking for a simple sleeve style AR case with or without a 30 round mag installed.

Just need something to toss into the bed of the truck to and from where I shoot.

I have a few Pelican cases that I use for true transporting the guns, I just want something better than a blanket for the quick trips.

Anything that lasts that is still cheap?
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:55:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:29:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cheap & quality is an oxymoron.

I used to sell Assault Systems soft cases, problem was guys were retailing the cheap crap for less than I paid wholesale and in bulk for the Assault System cases.
View Quote
Amen. I still have a couple of the ATI/Rukx/Drago type soft cases, but over the last few years I've been slowly acquiring SERT TCC cases (it was easier when they were blowing out the Gen 4's after the release of the Gen 5's). They are by far the best soft-sided cases I've ever seen or used. I also tend to buy them a little larger than needed which allows me to fit 2 rifles in one case.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 12:10:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you wanting a hard case, soft case, or either?
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:28:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Amen. I still have a couple of the ATI/Rukx/Drago type soft cases, but over the last few years I've been slowly acquiring SERT TCC cases (it was easier when they were blowing out the Gen 4's after the release of the Gen 5's). They are by far the best soft-sided cases I've ever seen or used. I also tend to buy them a little larger than needed which allows me to fit 2 rifles in one case.
View Quote
I don't know why the SERT does not get more traction...the best case on the market, hands down.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Cheap & quality is an oxymoron.

I used to sell Assault Systems soft cases, problem was guys were retailing the cheap crap for less than I paid wholesale and in bulk for the Assault System cases.
View Quote
My woodland Assault Systems case is still going strong after more the 25 years...

And the replaced the zipper for me about 4-5 years ago
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:26:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Depends on what you consider cheap. For cheap myself and others in my group consider Condor
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:00:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I don't know why the SERT does not get more traction...the best case on the market, hands down.
View Quote
Just looked them up, those are nice.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 9:25:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I have 4 SERT cases one of each size made. Oldest is over 11 years old. Its practically like new. The old one had no loop velcro on the inside of the interior molle. That made the velcro straps that hold the gun abrade the inside of the molle with hook and frayed some threads. Literally the only wear or broken threads on the bag which is used daily for my patrol carbine. The new bags dont have the issue since they come with female loop to hold the straps in place on the back of the molle. They are lifetime purchases. Hold up better than a Pelican IMO.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 2:19:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Cheap cases are just that, cheap. Sold a lot of Roma, Condor, and Drago bags since I started in the industry. That being said, the Roma ones actually last a while, but they still have some quality issues. I've seen plenty of Condor and Drago bags fall apart, some even days after being bought. Personally, I've been using a Blackhawk homeland security discreet rifle case for the last 10 years. That case has seen a lot of abuse. It has been tossed around, dragged, over stuffed and so far, I've had 0 rips or tears, 0 broken seams, and 0 broken zippers.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:48:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Looking for a simple sleeve style AR case with or without a 30 round mag installed.

Just need something to toss into the bed of the truck to and from where I shoot.

I have a few Pelican cases that I use for true transporting the guns, I just want something better than a blanket for the quick trips.

Anything that lasts that is still cheap?
View Quote
I can't address "cheap" because I don't have cheap stuff.  Now "inexpensive" is a different matter all together.  I have been very happy with my case from MidwayUSA.  It is adequately padded, securely holds my AR, has pockets for smaller items and pouches for magazines.  If I recall I purchased it on sale for thirty something dollars (and MidwayUSA frequently has theim on sale).  See MidwayUSA Heavy Duty Tactical Rifle Case currently on sale fror $24.99-$29.49 depending on length (36, 42, 46).
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:11:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I can't address "cheap" because I don't have cheap stuff.  Now "inexpensive" is a different matter all together.  I have been very happy with my case from MidwayUSA.  It is adequately padded, securely holds my AR, has pockets for smaller items and pouches for magazines.  If I recall I purchased it on sale for thirty something dollars (and MidwayUSA frequently has theim on sale).  See MidwayUSA Heavy Duty Tactical Rifle Case currently on sale fror $24.99-$29.49 depending on length (36, 42, 46).
View Quote
I have several of these for carbines and AR pistols. Works great and lots of padding. Just wish they had straps to hold the weapon in place.
At some point I need to sew some velcro attachment straps inside to perfect them.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:49:01 AM EDT
[#12]
For hard cases Plano has some very nice options out there.
Tuff Products has a couple of bags, I plan on getting this one soon TUFF rifle case
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 10:57:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks this is what I'm after. I have more pelican cases that get abused than most I just wanted a basic range sleeve for transport.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My woodland Assault Systems case is still going strong after more the 25 years...

And the replaced the zipper for me about 4-5 years ago
View Quote
@Harv24

Assault Systems, are they still made?  I recall that name years back, is this the Elite Survival Systems companies old name?

Thanks,

Link Posted: 1/28/2019 10:55:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

@Harv24

Assault Systems, are they still made?  I recall that name years back, is this the Elite Survival Systems companies old name?

Thanks,

View Quote
Yes, I believe that is who they now are.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 11:04:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought the 42", 36", and 30" Tactical Cases from SERT when they first came out.
Zero complaints even after all these years, zippers, stitches, all good.  Even the velcro.
My 42" has one small area of abrasion on the bottom outside of the large outside pocket.
This was from being dragged over angle iron while loaded with 18" SPR, 6 mags, binocs, etc.
Certainly not a fault of the case, and durability is unaffected.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 9:26:54 AM EDT
[#17]
The SERT is definitely a winner.  Ive had one for around 15 years. I think i-Shot was what they were called back then.

You might search for an Eagle Industries discreet case. They are excellent quality and often discounted a good bit. I think it was Natchez that had them for around $50 a while back.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 12:08:23 AM EDT
[#18]
For hard cases the Harbor Freight “Apache” line looks pretty good too.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#19]
This looks like a good quality case that is on sale for $99 at Arms Unlimited.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uiXJvjPoiMM&time_continue=107

For a a few years now I've used the Chinese bulldog cases that can be ordered from brownells and others for $35.00. I edc an 11 1/2" at pistol in it with two spare mags and it's held up despite not being built like a tank. Tall enough for a 30 round mag with a small RDS, but it likes a 20 round better.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 11:12:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This looks like a good quality case that is on sale for $99 at Arms Unlimited.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uiXJvjPoiMM&time_continue=107

For a a few years now I've used the Chinese bulldog cases that can be ordered from brownells and others for $35.00. I edc an 11 1/2" at pistol in it with two spare mags and it's held up despite not being built like a tank. Tall enough for a 30 round mag with a small RDS, but it likes a 20 round better.
View Quote
Botach has the same Vertx bag on sale for $89
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 11:18:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I think the issue with the more expensive soft cases is that they're overkill for what most people actually use soft cases for.

I've been using the same Winchester brand simple soft rifle cases for a decade and a half.   They're perfectly sufficient for throwing a single long arm into, then tossing it into your vehicle.

I wouldn't leave them exposed to the elements, though.  My buddies and I generally all have Pelican or Storm cases that are specifically for tossing in the beds of pickups.

I have nicer cases for transporting broken down SBR's, precision stuff, etc.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a Drago soft case and a SKB hard case, both obvious looking gun cases.  Both have held up well.  Currently looking for a discreet case for my new MK18 pistol and having trouble deciding.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 10:20:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Why is so hard to find a case that fits the Pelican 1700? Sert specifically says their case does not fit, but does fit the Storm version. Everyone has a 36” case but a decent 35” case is nowhere to be found. A 14.5” rifle with collapsed stock is 32” so a 33” to 35” case that fits within the 35” Pelican is a solid niche product. It seems the case makers ignore this in favor of extending an existing model to fit slightly longer rifles but not the 1700.

Edit: UTG homeland security 34” case fits nicely but it’s cheap, made in China with little padding on the sides, none on the edges.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 7:29:24 AM EDT
[#24]
I have been using a Plano Gunguard case for over 30 years - still going strong.  They cost about $40 today
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 7:45:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have several of these for carbines and AR pistols. Works great and lots of padding. Just wish they had straps to hold the weapon in place.
At some point I need to sew some velcro attachment straps inside to perfect them.
View Quote
The midway cases used to have straps inside of them. Mine do. But they clearanced them all out and went to a new style.
I started out with a tactical tailor single rifle case. I needed a double but couldn't afford the TT. The midway looked functionally the same so I gave it a shot.
It's a fine case. You can see where they cut corners over the TT. But nothing to worry about when it's riding inside a vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 10:18:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The SERT is definitely a winner.  Ive had one for around 15 years. I think i-Shot was what they were called back then.

You might search for an Eagle Industries discreet case. They are excellent quality and often discounted a good bit. I think it was Natchez that had them for around $50 a while back.
View Quote
I've had excellent experiences with the Eagle discreet case for an AR pistol. Wish I would have bought a carbine-sized one. They were under $50 from CDNN a couple years back. Normally I won't buy much but small accessories from CDNN as they sell a lot of junk but Eagle Ind. has a long run with .gov as I understand it and I took a shot. Well worth every penny.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 1:09:45 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a couple of Ace Cases that I have been using as the OP describes for 20 years now and that have held up fine. Those Midway cases look good, too. No need for $200 tacticool cases to tote your guns to the range and back.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 1:29:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I bought a couple of the Eagle discreet cases from Brownells.  Unfortunately, they aren't $50 anymore. They were a good deal.

For just going to the range and back, my ~10yr old Condor double rifle bag is still going strong. No tears or broken zippers.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 1:29:36 AM EDT
[#29]
I use Fire Force cases. I own a rifle case and also have one of their range bags. Have had alot of cases over the years. I don't know if they are considered cheap enough but I will say for the extremely high quality materials, construction, design,durability and American made they are a great value.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top