Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2021 10:25:11 PM EDT
I have a lead on IMI 55 grain M193 5.56 ammo.

Have you shot any? How accurate is it for out to 200-300 yards for targets and groundhogs.

Thanks for your comments!
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Midway usa had some haven't checked recently.

M193 is m193 1.5-3moa is normal, same with m855

You want accurate buy a match 55gr load. Otherwise its up to your rifle if it will shoot or not. But IMI is generally good
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 10:17:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Normal accuracy, 2-3 MOA, and reliable.  Never had any issues with it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I have been shooting some IMI 5.56 for the last three or four months. My guess is 400-500 rounds.

I have had no failures of any kind with it, and consider it excellent ammunition.

My opinion is that it is just as good or maybe better, a bit hotter, then Wolf Gold that I have been shooting for years. I watch Midway for more to come available and I would consider buying another 1,200 rounds if the price is below 62 cents per round. I would consider paying more as my supply continues to drop.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 11:06:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Has worked for me for the last year. GTG for normal range or 3 gun.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 11:11:54 AM EDT
[#5]
PPU, PMC, IMI and Federal M193 are all welcome in my guns, and that’s the order of their accuracy in my experience as well.

My best group with M193 was 5 shots in about 1.5 MOA. I’d say 2-3 MOA is the typical average you should expect from any of them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 11:30:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Have shot hundreds of rounds of IMI m193 ammo without issue.  Nice to see that it's becoming available again, albeit at higher prices.  As others have said, it's good plinking ammo and 1.5-2 MOA is a pretty reasonable expectation.

If you're looking for better accuracy/ballistics, etc. you might step up to IMI Razorcore (77 gr. SMK bullet).  Like this ammo as well, and it is also becoming available, although you're looking at a price of approx. $1.25/round.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 11:55:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Works fine for me. It tends to give slightly larger groups than Federal xm193 in the rifle I shoot the most. The POI is just about the same for those two rounds in that gun however. No difference when shooting steel plates so no care. I'll buy whichever one is cheaper at the time. I was happy to buy IMI when Midway was selling it cheap.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#8]
IMI 55/62/77's makes up the bulk of my stash at this point.

The Israeli's make quality ammo.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 1:07:05 PM EDT
[#10]
The accuracy specification for M193 cited in MIL-C-9963F is as follows:

The average of the mean radii of all targets of the sample cartridges, fired at 200 yards, shall not exceed 2.0 inches.

These averages are from 10-shot groups fired from machine rested, bolt-actioned test barrels, such as the ones pictured below.  All things being equal (which of course they seldom are) this specification equates to a mean radius of 1 inch at 100 yards.

I conducted an accuracy (technically, precision) evaluation of four M193 clones following my usual protocols.  This accuracy evaluation used statistically significant shot-group sizes and every single shot in a fired group was included in the measurements. There was absolutely no use of any Group Reduction Techniques (e.g. fliers, target movement, Butterfly Shots). The shooting set-up will be described in detail below. As many of the significant variables as was practicable were controlled for. Pictures of the fired shot-groups will be posted for documentation.

All shooting was conducted from a concrete bench-rest from a distance of 100 yards (confirmed with a laser rangefinder.) The barrel used in the evaluation was free-floated. The free-float handguards of the rifle rested in a Sinclair Windage Benchrest, while the stock of the rifle rested in a Protektor bunny-ear rear bag. Sighting was accomplished via a Leupold VARI-X III set at 25X magnification and adjusted to be parallax-free at 100 yards. A mirage shade was used. Wind conditions on the shooting range were continuously monitored using a Wind Probe.

The test vehicle for this evaluation was a 16” Colt HBAR with chrome lining, a NATO chamber and a 1:9” twist. This is the barrel found on the Colt 6721 carbine. This barrel was free-floated with a 10” LaRue free-float handguard.  I specifically choose to evaluate the accuracy this ammunition using an AR-15 with a chrome-lined, NATO chambered barrel, as this is the type of barrel that is most commonly used to fire this type of ammunition.  It is sometimes possible to obtain  slightly better accuracy from mil-spec/NATO pressure loads by firing them  from an AR-15 that has a stainless steel match-grade barrel with a hybrid chamber such as the Noveske NMmod0 chamber or the Wylde chamber for examples; but you're not going to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear.

The 16” Colt HBAR is one of the most accurate “off the shelf” chrome-lined, NATO chambered AR-15 barrels that I’ve evaluated.  Three 10-shot groups fired from this barrel from a distance of 100 yards using match-grade hand-loads topped with Sierra 52 grain MatchKings had extreme spreads of:

0.85”
1.14”
0.88”

for a 10-shot group average extreme spread of 0.96”.  Over-laying the three 10-shot groups on each other using RSI Shooting Lab software produced a 30-shot composite target with a mean radius of 0.32”.

IMI M193

Three 10-shot groups of the IMI M193 were fired in a row from a distance of 100 yards from the Colt 16” HBAR.  Those three groups had extreme spreads of:

2.83”
2.77”
2.80”

for a 10-shot group average extreme spread of 2.80”.  The three 10-shot groups were over-layed on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 30-shot composite group.  The composite group had a mean radius of 0.97”.

American Eagle Tactical XM193

Three 10-shot groups of the American Eagle Tactical XM193 fired in a row had extreme spreads of:

3.01”
3.25”
3.57”

For a 10-shot group average of 3.27”.  The 30-shot composite group had a mean radius of 0.98”.

Prvi Partizan M193

Three 10-shot groups of the Priv Partizan M193 were fired in a row from a distance of 100 yards.  The groups had extreme spreads of:

2.72”
3.89”
3.74”

for a 10-shot group average extreme spread of 3.45”.  All three of these groups were over-layed on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 30-shot composite group.  The mean radius for the composite group was 1.01”.

Winchester Q3131A1

Three 10-shot groups of the Winchester Q3131A1 load were fired in a row. The extreme spreads of those groups measured:

2.95”
3.73”
3.35”

for a 10-shot average extreme spread of 3.34”. The three 10-shot groups were over-layed on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 30-shot composite group. The mean radius for the composite group was 1.05”.

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#11]
It's been reliable enough.  The accuracy is  lack luster; 3ish MOA is the best I could do with it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 1:44:15 PM EDT
[#12]
@molon

Any consideration on doing updated versions of your famous M193/M855 tests with current production lots?
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@molon

Any consideration on doing updated versions of your famous M193/M855 tests with current production lots?
View Quote

On The List.

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 1:54:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I have always liked & had good luck w/ IMI.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 2:41:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I shot a lot of different M193s when researching what works best in my rifles.  I found the IMI (Israel) and MEN (Germany) were the most accurate, but not by a large margin.  Certainly not match ammo, but is fine for bulk combat ammo.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 3:25:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I've shot 1000s of them back in the days. I recently got a few boxes off Midwayusa and shot them all last week.

The IMI brands seem to be "louder" than the typical brands. I know their 9mm rounds seem to be noticeably louder than the standard ball ammo of the same kind. One day I did a side by side comparison and the IMI brand sounds louder.

Overall though I zero with Mk262 ammo and then use M193 ammo in the back. So at 25 yards, the Mk262 shoots about 1 inch low, and the M193 shoots about 1.5 inch low. IMI and Federal both have the same hit spot and spread. So it's a great round, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 6:52:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've shot 1000s of them back in the days. I recently got a few boxes off Midwayusa and shot them all last week.

The IMI brands seem to be "louder" than the typical brands. I know their 9mm rounds seem to be noticeably louder than the standard ball ammo of the same kind. One day I did a side by side comparison and the IMI brand sounds louder.

Overall though I zero with Mk262 ammo and then use M193 ammo in the back. So at 25 yards, the Mk262 shoots about 1 inch low, and the M193 shoots about 1.5 inch low. IMI and Federal both have the same hit spot and spread. So it's a great round, in my opinion.
View Quote

What are the PoI differences at 100?
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 12:19:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What are the PoI differences at 100?
View Quote

Barely anything. Keep in mind I never really measure it with a ruler. Just eye ball difference to see how they group together. Reasonably well at 100 yard comparing to federal brands that I use. My range only goes out to 300 and I rarely shoot that so I don't know how it performs beyond 100 yards.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 12:34:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a case in my stash and a few hundred rounds left of a second case I've been shooting. Good ammo, no issues with it out of my ARs and SCAR16.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 1:31:10 AM EDT
[#20]
IMI is good quality ammo.  I like their 62 grain razor core.  Personally, I like Black Hills the best followed by Federal and anything Lake City.  IMI is next. PPC is a rung down, and Wolf st the bottom of my list
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 3:37:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 4:36:22 PM EDT
[#22]
However consistent and careful IMI is at building these rounds, there is an inherent variability in FMJ spitzer bullets.  Since they are “base loaded” the base itself is subject to variability in how the jacket is rolled/folded over the core.

In contrast, all “front loaded” bullets have an inherently consistent base, since that part is formed first.  They are more complex to manufacture, but the simpler ones - think soft points - are so little different that they are usually only a penny or so more expensive than FMJs of the same weight.

So, given IMI’s overall great reputation for meaningful quality control and consistency in ammunition manufacturing, I want to say that their M193s are probably as consistent and accurate as you’re going to find a round that meets the M193 specs.  But if they made a round that met all those specs but used a soft point or open tip bullet of the same profile, it would be consistently and measurably more accurate, just because of the inherent properties of the different bullet bases.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 6:41:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
However consistent and careful IMI is at building these rounds, there is an inherent variability in FMJ spitzer bullets.  Since they are "base loaded" the base itself is subject to variability in how the jacket is rolled/folded over the core.

In contrast, all "front loaded" bullets have an inherently consistent base, since that part is formed first.  They are more complex to manufacture, but the simpler ones - think soft points - are so little different that they are usually only a penny or so more expensive than FMJs of the same weight.

So, given IMI's overall great reputation for meaningful quality control and consistency in ammunition manufacturing, I want to say that their M193s are probably as consistent and accurate as you're going to find a round that meets the M193 specs.  But if they made a round that met all those specs but used a soft point or open tip bullet of the same profile, it would be consistently and measurably more accurate, just because of the inherent properties of the different bullet bases.
View Quote

Then it wouldn't be an M193 spec round
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 6:48:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Then it wouldn't be an M193 spec round
View Quote

True.  It wouldn’t have the positives that come with that spec, including how the FMJ bullet behaves.  But that’s the trade off; FMJ bullets are inherently less accurate than solid base bullets, but solid base bullets don’t destabilize the way FMJs do.

My point was that the IMI M193s are probably as precise as you can make an M193 round….
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 10:25:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 10:42:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
IMI is good quality ammo.  I like their 62 grain razor core.
View Quote

Assuming that you are talking the 77 gr Mk262 clone
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:06:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Izzy 77 is silly accurate in my AUG. Much more so than Black Hills.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 12:18:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

maybe he means the 69gr?
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 6:34:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

maybe he means the 69gr?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

maybe he means the 69gr?

Could be.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 7:40:25 PM EDT
[#30]
The IMI Stuff is primo. Same stuff IDF issues. It may be in military packaging or commercial packaging. Been using it for 35 years. I generally use the 55gr m193 because some of my older rifles like the Galil and FNC are rifled 1/12. Just an FYI. Winchester 5.56 with the number Q3131A on the box is 55gr. m193, made in Israel by IMI. Q3131 is made in US by Winchester. If it has Q3131A1, it is Korean made m193 for Winchester.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:28:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The IMI Stuff is primo. Same stuff IDF issues. It may be in military packaging or commercial packaging. Been using it for 35 years. I generally use the 55gr m193 because some of my older rifles like the Galil and FNC are rifled 1/12. Just an FYI. Winchester 5.56 with the number Q3131A on the box is 55gr. m193, made in Israel by IMI. Q3131 is made in US by Winchester. If it has Q3131A1, it is Korean made m193 for Winchester.
View Quote

Has Q3131 even been made in recent history?
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:29:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I haven’t looked in the past few years. I’ve been buying IMI or other brands.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:50:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Been using it for years never an issue and plenty accurate for ball ammo.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 1:11:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Has Q3131 even been made in recent history?
View Quote

they still make it
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 4:33:24 PM EDT
[#35]
My FNC is bananas accurate with this ammo
Like open sights 20 rounds at 50 yards into golf ball accurate
It shoots well in my Galil, although Lake City was a tad more accurate in it
My AUG and Colt are more accurate with 62 grain IMI
This is the one time I will say I have outshot Molon on anything
The 62 grain M-855 will go 10 rounds out of my LE6940 into 1.5”  -it’s free floated barrel is insanely accurate with 62 grain loads more so than the heavier weights
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
IMI 55/62/77's makes up the bulk of my stash at this point.

The Israeli's make quality ammo.
View Quote

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top