Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/15/2023 9:36:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zimm17]
I did do some research, but I don' t have the time to get a PhD in 9mm AR's. Hopefully ya'll can help.

My shooting range has a cool steel area for pistol and PCC's.  So that got me thinking about a 9mm PCC.  I looked at the Ruger, etc. But I like to have "nicer stuff" and that got me thinking about putting together an SBR that I can later suppress.

It looks as easy as getting a $220 Palmetto State 9mm lower - get the engraving and tax stamp, and slap one of their uppers on it.  They don't have last shot bolt hold, but how important is that at the range?

There's also the AP EPC-9 that will probably have a nicer fit and finish but hard to find right now.

I have all the tools to build AR's, so I could piece it together too.

Following up on my research- I see the CMMG Banshee is highly regarded.  I could get the 8" pistol model and engrave it and convert to SBR tax stamp.

What do you 9mm gurus recommend for a quality carbine I'll be proud to own?
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Unless you buy a barrel from Rudy at Macon armory send it to him for the feed cone profile service before you assemble the upper and save the headache of taking it back apart
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By zimm17:
I did do some research, but I don' t have the time to get a PhD in 9mm AR's. Hopefully ya'll can help.

My shooting range has a cool steel area for pistol and PCC's.  So that got me thinking about a 9mm PCC.  I looked at the Ruger, etc. But I like to have "nicer stuff" and that got me thinking about putting together an SBR that I can later suppress.

It looks as easy as getting a $220 Palmetto State 9mm lower - get the engraving and tax stamp, and slap one of their uppers on it.  They don't have last shot bolt hold, but how important is that at the range?

There's also the AP EPC-9 that will probably have a nicer fit and finish but hard to find right now.

I have all the tools to build AR's, so I could piece it together too.

Following up on my research- I see the CMMG Banshee is highly regarded.  I could get the 8" pistol model and engrave it and convert to SBR tax stamp.

What do you 9mm gurus recommend for a quality carbine I'll be proud to own?
View Quote
I have a CZ Scorpion Evo, Don't care for it.
I then built a Fox Trot Mike AR-9 that takes Glock/Magpul mags.  I put a Can on it and I love the thing.  Shooting plates is a Blast!!!!

Link Posted: 8/15/2023 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#3]
After reading all morning and watching YouTube reviews, I'm convinced the CMMG Banshee in SBR format will be perfect for me.  A little pricey, but hopefully I don't have to screw with it to run well at the range.  The delayed blow back and last bolt hold open convinced me.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 1:19:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I SBR'd a Banshee.  I never shoot my MPX anymore.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 2:12:28 PM EDT
[#5]
my USPSA PCC is a New Frontier Armory billet Glock mag lower, without LRBHO....adjust the bolt travel so that it just clears the bolt hold open... my registered SBR currently is my Steel Challenge rifle with a 9" CMMG .22lr conversion barrel and collar unit...when I had the SBR fitted to use Colt format 9mm mags, the bolt hold open (of unknown source) broke the second time it locked back... don't need it for USPSA, just to be able to lock open to show clear

the short barrel of the .22lr greatly decreases the arc the muzzle travels through between targets, even using a relatively heavy AR lower...Black Dog stainless feed lip magazines
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 4:13:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By smullen:
I have a CZ Scorpion Evo, Don't care for it.
I then built a Fox Trot Mike AR-9 that takes Glock/Magpul mags.  I put a Can on it and I love the thing.  Shooting plates is a Blast!!!!

View Quote

+1 for FM9
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 8:25:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: emandude] [#7]
Originally Posted By Chowser:
View Quote

A friend let me shoot his 8 inch MPX and I walked away thinking my 2 5-800$ PCCs are more
Fun
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 11:30:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Chowser:
View Quote

We've got 2 SBR 9mm Banshee's that are great, but I wish they wouldn't eat ejector springs so fast.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 7:23:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Although it's not a PhD in 9mm AR's, I have dedicated a lot of time and effort to figure out what works, what doesn't, and what never did.  I condensed all that info and put it on my site.

Since you already have all the tools, if you decide to build your own (very easy to do).....

Start here: 4-step guide to make (almost) any AR9 run 100%

And here: 9mm AR build parts list (with links)
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 7:36:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Freedom Ordnance FX9 has LRBHO I believe. My buddy has the 4in model and it's a hoot to plink with.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 1:44:16 PM EDT
[#12]
If you’re going to spend that much on a lower, just get a QC10 or JP.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 2:03:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#13]
Originally Posted By weapons_free:
Unless you buy a barrel from Rudy at Macon armory send it to him for the feed cone profile service before you assemble the upper and save the headache of taking it back apart
View Quote

You need to go this route unless you use a Milspec Lower and a Stern Defense Adapter. The Stern has a feed ramp, so it actually works fine with Colt Style Barrels.

Otherwise the feed cone needs reprofiling. I hear newer BA/Aero Barrels work better now. But if they used an old stock barrel it might need some magic
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 9:01:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Droppoint:
 I condensed all that info and put it on my site.
View Quote

FYI, the link you have (in at least 2 places) on your site for the Wilson flat spring seems to be a bad link.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 2:31:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Racer_X] [#15]
Disregard...
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Racer_X:

FYI, the link you have (in at least 2 places) on your site for the Wilson flat spring seems to be a bad link.
View Quote

Ugh.  Thanks.  I'll dig around and try to get them working again.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 10:38:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Why not go with the endo mags so you can have an sbr lower that shoots 9mm and .223

The endo mag i have works perfectly

I dont care for the look of pistol mag lowers myself
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By neuromancer1970:
Why not go with the endo mags so you can have an sbr lower that shoots 9mm and .223

The endo mag i have works perfectly

I dont care for the look of pistol mag lowers myself
View Quote

I had the Endomag bs explode a PMAG & the company refused to do anything. They suck IMO. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 8:56:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Amish_Bill] [#19]
I just had good luck dropping a Kaw Valley 9mm upper on an SBR lower with a Matador (glock) mag block and a heavier buffer.
Note: if you want to suppress or change muzzle device, it has an older 1/2x36 threading.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/10/2023 9:06:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By RangeToy:

I had the Endomag bs explode a PMAG & the company refused to do anything. They suck IMO. YMMV
View Quote

That's odd. Doubt there's any difference but I bought the CMMG branded 9mm AR mags and they feed 100% in my Banshee. I've also never had any issues with the Banshee ejector springs or frankly anything else. I'm living that setup because as others have posted, it's a regular AR lower that has been SBR'd, so I can slap whatever upper on it I want in any barrel length.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 8:46:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Get the Aero EPC.  I just put one together and SBR'd it.  The thing just runs with no hickup at all.  The bolt hold is very ingenious.  They use a piece of stiff wire which is bolted to the right side of the upper.  The front part of the spring catches the front shelf of the pistol magazine and it in turns pushes on the bolt catch.  It works on every magazine I've tired just testing it including the P-mag drum.

Daniel
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 9:40:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 10:18:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Mad-Machinist:
I have been using a CMMG endo mag on a prototype......it manages to feed three or for rounds and then flip three or so nose down between the feed lips. Called the....engineer was on vacation, Haven't heard back from him yet. So far not impressed but a sample size of one on my part. I asked if I could ride up to their facility and was told they "don't accept visitors". We shall see.........
View Quote
Don't tell me that... I have three inserts coming in, and I'm much closer to their place than you are. I'm sure I could 'accidentally' drive past it if I didn't pay attention hard enough.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:01:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Mixed weekend results.
The Matador block would not fit in a Superior Arms lower and would not work in a POS Sporter II lower with its retention screw in place.
An Endo worked in a PSA lower and in the POS Colt RR mentioned above.
All combinations were using KAW Valley 9mm uppers. Those ran nicely.

ps -- RR + 4.5" upper + Evo 9 + Endo + 8.8oz super heavy 9mm buffer = MP5SD At Home.

pps -- Fuck Colt and all the weird shit they did to make their Civvy rifles incompatible with their military versions, and fuck this specific example twice. Worthless offset pin that kept spinning and binding things up....
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 11:33:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Spartan 9mm lower and upper from Joe Bob Outfitters will run about 200.00, and make a good building point IMHO.
Its how I built mine Spartan upper and lower, Foxtrot Mike BCG, Ballistic Advantage barrel,
Kaw valley Precision 9mm buffer (7.5 oz and approx 1 inch longer).
Last round bolt hold open works, runs like a sewing machine suppressed or unsupressed with my form 1 can.

Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top