Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2023 12:41:34 PM EDT
I have a lot of Noveske stuff.  

Some factory rifles, and a lot of barrels and other parts on numerous guns.  I think I've reached the point where I need to get off this train.  I recently ordered a barrel from Midway since Noveske was out of stock.  No surprise there... nothing is ever in stock.

Upon assembly and analysis, I realized the pin for the gas tube is drilled in the wrong spot.  So if I were to pin it as is, I'd be restricting the gas port size.  I compared this against a different barrel (both 10.5" SS BO barrels) and the other one looks perfect.

Tried e-mailing a contact [Tim] who has been responsive in the past.  A week goes by, no response.  I figured maybe he doesn't work there any more.  So I went through the normal warranty link and filled out the info.

Another week goes by, no response again.  I looked up the phone number, though I haven't had no luck getting them on the phone ever.  It shows they are only open 5 hours a day M-Th and 4 hours on Friday.

Their recent marketing and website shows a bunch of bearded hipsters, some skanky looking chicks (and not in a good way) covered in tattoos running around like it's Woodstock.  Looks like the wokest gun company if such a thing were to exist.

I've seen a few threads around the interwebs where some people think the company has gone a little off the reservation with John gone.  Nothing is ever in stock and it seems they make about 2-3 items at a time as they sell out almost immediately.  The last thing that really had me shaking my head was a lottery of 50 people who "win" the opportunity to buy a gun?!?!

Anyone agree or am I bitching about non-sense?
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Noveske doesn't make most of the stuff with their logo on it. I'm betting it is the same with your gas block. Their CS has always been spotty in my experience. That said, my best shooting barrels are Noveske branded and two of my favorite builds are as well.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Some factory rifles, and a lot of barrels and other parts on numerous guns.  I think I've reached the point where I need to get off this train.  I recently ordered a barrel from Midway since Noveske was out of stock.  No surprise there... nothing is ever in stock.

Upon assembly and analysis, I realized the pin for the gas tube is drilled in the wrong spot.  So if I were to pin it as is, I'd be restricting the gas port size.  I compared this against a different barrel (both 10.5" SS BO barrels) and the other one looks perfect.

https://firearmtutorials.com/article-images/Noveske/Noveske1.jpeg
https://firearmtutorials.com/article-images/Noveske/Noveske2.jpeg

Tried e-mailing a contact [Tim] who has been responsive in the past.  A week goes by, no response.  I figured maybe he doesn't work there any more.  So I went through the normal warranty link and filled out the info.

Another week goes by, no response again.  I looked up the phone number, though I haven't had no luck getting them on the phone ever.  It shows they are only open 5 hours a day M-Th and 4 hours on Friday.

Their recent marketing and website shows a bunch of bearded hipsters, some skanky looking chicks (and not in a good way) covered in tattoos running around like it's Woodstock.  Looks like the wokest gun company if such a thing were to exist.

I've seen a few threads around the interwebs where some people think the company has gone a little off the reservation with John gone.  Nothing is ever in stock and it seems they make about 2-3 items at a time as they sell out almost immediately.  The last thing that really had me shaking my head was a lottery of 50 people who "win" the opportunity to buy a gun?!?!

View Quote

Was there a problem with it running, or are you one of those guys who takes a borescope and checks every single part and checks every single measurement before actually finding out if there’s a problem or not?
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

You should view this as a feature. I had an 11.5 Noveske barrel that was so overgassed that it never ran properly suppressed.  I even tried one of those restricted gas tubes from Black River Tactical and it marginally helped. Looks like you got that feature for free. It was quite accurate though.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 2:12:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I mean, the fact that you can’t get a response is concerning.  I’m honestly not the biggest fan of Noveske either, more so because most of the stuff they’re making these days just doesn’t interest me.  

That said, the gas aperture in the gas tube is usually smaller in size than the port in the block.  From that picture, I’m not seeing anything jumping out saying things are misaligned.  What does it look like looking through the rear set screw hole?  Flashlights help with taking a picture like that.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 2:20:37 PM EDT
[#5]
That looks like it should still work. Noveske barrels can be over gassed so it will probably work fine.

Noveske is buying into the PNW dirty hipster lifestyle. I buy Noveske because of the easter egg hunt for parts. My 10.5 in 5.56 has been phenomenal. It's now becoming a DEVGRU clone. I am also working on a Gen 4 10.5 300blk. So far I've found zero issues with the parts. Every company will have a bad batch of parts every so often.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#6]
They used to be awesome until they became lame ass Instagram T-shirt and clothing marketeers. I've sold all my noveske shit, it's just hype beast nonsense at this point. KAC,HK, and Daniel Defense are the bulk of my purchases these days.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 3:11:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought into their hype years ago.  Spent a bunch of money and expected great accuracy.  Several guns later I determined what they’re good at is marketing (not producing products that live up to the hype).

Sold it all and will never go back.

HK, LMT, Colt, KAC for me.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 3:12:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Tim is no longer there. That is why you got no response from him.

Keep trying to call. You should be able to get them on the phone.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Their receivers are beautifully finished and the barrels tend to be tack drivers...but lots of companies make good barrels, lots of companies make good receivers, and they tend to actually have product you can buy.

The whole "drop/limited release" fad in the firearm industry is banal. Make your product and sell it, don't dribble out little bits here and there for the instagram crowd to brag about.

I like Noveske product. Don't particularly like the companies branding/direction. I'll stick with DD, Centurion, V Seven, etc.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I tuned out when they turned to the Hype Beast sales strategy. I had good luck with their parts back in the day but lots of people make quality parts now without the annoying drop model.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Hasn't been the same since John passed.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:55:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hasn't been the same since John passed.
View Quote

Agreed…

I think they still kick out a good stainless barrel.  But what others have said above I believe holds truth.  My most recent build was on a Gen2 receiver I have had sitting around for over a decade.  Literally bought that one right before Johns premature departure.  Disheartening when you look back how John strived for perfection and his products literally sold themselves.  Now it’s mostly branding/marketing by a bunch of millennials.

Aside from Noveske’s barrels,  their Gen2 receiver was their pinnacle.

Edit:  OP,  to me your gas block/tube look ok?
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:10:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Your pictures don't really tell much. From that angle you can't tell if either of them is aligned. I'd just shoot it and see what you get. It'll probably be fine. If it's not, then report back with the issue(s)
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 11:03:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:23:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Inevitably, every Noveske thread will attract comments to the effect of “Noveske died with John.” You can easily spot these as regurgitated internet fudd-lore by the absence of detail or experience.

I’ve called Noveske customer service a couple times in the past year and they picked up right away. I bought one of their rifles on Gunbroker and they were able to look up the serial number and confirm the build date. Also, my cerakote guy broke my forged lower. He called Noveske to explain what happened and they sold him a lower directly at a time when Noveske lowers were out of stock everywhere. Solid company run by good people.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:15:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Was there a problem with it running, or are you one of those guys who takes a borescope and checks every single part and checks every single measurement before actually finding out if there’s a problem or not?
View Quote

I feel like this is the most important question asked here. The OP stated that the pin is not in the right place, but it is unclear if the item he has is non-functional. I would also imagine if he posed the same question to Noveske, they probably didn't answer cause he stated no problem other than an observation. Sort of like calling someplace and telling them you notice their store logo out front is a little out of place. They'd just say, "Umm thanks?"
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:47:58 AM EDT
[#17]
This seems like a case of:

1)  Get them on the phone
2)  Ship it back to them
3)  Received fixed or replacement item
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

"But muh SOTAR bro. I dont need to use it before complaining! It doesnt pass that class 3 gauge i dont understand!!!!" That dude has done more harm to this industry than hell ever help.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 11:38:56 AM EDT
[#19]
OP has conveniently disappeared after the drive by initial post.  A simple pic through the rear set screw hole would tell the tale.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#20]
The gas tube port is much smaller than the hole in the block. The edges of the gas tube port will never line up with the gas block. I bet it runs fine.  I don't see it being occluded in the pic.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

It doesn't look off from that angle.  Show us a pic looking through the bottom set screw hole to the gas tube while assembled.  I bet it lines up just fine, since the block's drilled far larger than the gas port on a barrel or gas tube to allow for minor deviation.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 5:08:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Gosh, I have two Gen 2 lowers….

I agree they were John’s zenith, or so he said. They may be lonely.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 8:28:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Hey guys...  Thanks for the responses.  I'll try to get some better pictures of this.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 8:38:48 AM EDT
[#24]
YHM makes quality stuff and have been doing so for decades

Link Posted: 5/11/2023 8:56:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:

I feel like this is the most important question asked here. The OP stated that the pin is not in the right place, but it is unclear if the item he has is non-functional. I would also imagine if he posed the same question to Noveske, they probably didn't answer cause he stated no problem other than an observation. Sort of like calling someplace and telling them you notice their store logo out front is a little out of place. They'd just say, "Umm thanks?"
View Quote

Irrelevant.  

Which one would you buy if there were two bins?   One labeled “works, good enough” and the other said “work, absolutely perfect” for the exact same price?

Does your reasoning only apply to gas blocks and logos, or you willing to apply it to cars?   Health care?   Or other areas where you have a choice.  

Me?   I’d keep it if it was advertised as “works, good enough” but on sale because it’s blem.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Irrelevant.  

Which one would you buy if there were two bins?   One labeled “works, good enough” and the other said “work, absolutely perfect” for the exact same price?

Does your reasoning only apply to gas blocks and logos, or you willing to apply it to cars?   Health care?   Or other areas where you have a choice.  

Me?   I’d keep it if it was advertised as “works, good enough” but on sale because it’s blem.  
View Quote

It is relevant. I have never even considered looking inside my gas block to see how the gas tube hole lines up. I'll blow in the tube to make sure air comes out. I'd only ever check if the gun was acting under gassed.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It is relevant. I have never even considered looking inside my gas block to see how the gas tube hole lines up. I'll blow in the tube to make sure air comes out. I'd only ever check if the gun was acting under gassed.
View Quote
Me too, but OCD is a thing and this particular forum seems to really bring it out.  

It makes me wonder how many posters have electrical tape on the shell deflector.

If the photo would show the entire hole with a straight-down look from the top, it might just be a bit off center and the entire gas port hole may be exposed and not obstructed.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Irrelevant.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Irrelevant.  

Is the aperture in the gas tube occluded at all?  I ask because I certainly can’t tell from the picture.  Do you know what the tolerance ranges are for the fitment of those two parts together?  I’d doubt it.

I say this because based on the actual information we have at this point, no one can say whether it falls in the “perfect” or “good enough” category.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Could there be swarf in the gas block or a miss drilled gas tube?
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 3:20:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Me too, but OCD is a thing and this particular forum seems to really bring it out.  

It makes me wonder how many posters have electrical tape on the shell deflector.

If the photo would show the entire hole with a straight-down look from the top, it might just be a bit off center and the entire gas port hole may be exposed and not obstructed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While some do have OCD, I think it’s mostly members trying to sound smarter than they really are, so they use big, technical terms and act like they know exactly what measurements are required, but it’s all just to make themselves seem smarter and more experienced in order to be accepted by random people on the internet. That is, after all, easier and cheaper than going out and shooting a firearm to see if any problems are actually occurring.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:34:23 PM EDT
[#31]
I've watched the Noveske threads for a loooong time, and you'll always hear these 2 things, some variation of "The company isn't the same since Johnny passed" & "I hate these Hipsters and their limited drop BS". The former is kind of Fuddlore territory, the latter holds some truth but is mostly a criticism of their marketing, as the small batches mostly have to do with their limited manufacturing capability, being a smaller family business. Also there are quite a few schemers out there that like to buy a bunch of parts when they come out and try to resell on GB for a 300+ markup.. .you know who you are lol.

My 2 cents is, I have 10 Noveskes and I love every one of them. Ive never had an issue with parts quality or customer service. I dislike most all marketing, so it really doesn't matter to me what they do in that area. I've shot most every brand AR with the exception of Knights, and I like the fit and finish of Noveske the most. They are over gassed, but most are. They are expensive, but that's be just the way she goes....

And that's all I have to say about that.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:49:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The gas tube port is much smaller than the hole in the block. The edges of the gas tube port will never line up with the gas block. I bet it runs fine.  I don't see it being occluded in the pic.
View Quote

This.

Cant believe it took 20 posts.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:43:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

While some do have OCD, I think it’s mostly members trying to sound smarter than they really are, so they use big, technical terms and act like they know exactly what measurements are required, but it’s all just to make themselves seem smarter and more experienced in order to be accepted by random people on the internet. That is, after all, easier and cheaper than going out and shooting a firearm to see if any problems are actually occurring.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Correct. Measurements are important, sure, but does the rifle run or not?

Quoted:
They used to be awesome until they became lame ass Instagram T-shirt and clothing marketeers. I've sold all my noveske shit, it's just hype beast nonsense at this point. KAC,HK, and Daniel Defense are the bulk of my purchases these days.

I'm no Noveske fan boy, but you might want to record yourself reading that statement then play it back to yourself a few times.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#34]
And all larger than the hole in the barrel. Run it
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:55:44 AM EDT
[#35]
I haven't ran a Noveske since John passed...
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 9:14:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Most of the top tier gun companies these days will cave into the woke agenda just to please the crown, corporations, gun grabbers, their sick followers, etc….and meanwhile, Noveske says fuck the AFT, FJB, and is on the side of the people.

My money will go to Noveske….
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 9:34:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Love or hate there branding,  there company from what I gather has a culture of family/team which is cool to see in corporate America these days.

I live across the country from them, but I bet in person we would get along and they would be good people and would be pretty awesome folks.. just my perception YMMV

having said that I have several barrels and and a couple lowers and other stuff from them over the years
Ive had receivers from colts, V seven's, BCM's, centurion arms, mega's, anderson's, aero, geiselle lowers, tac innovations, troy, standard manufacturing,
several versions of most. some im forgetting

the noveske stuff was always very nice.. FSB on those type of barrels never straighter, receivers tight, uppers are square, they run and are mechanically accurate
its a good company.. stuff works has that little extra touch i can appreciate.. others do it to FYI but as an AR enthusiast and owing alot of them
I like the little extra things.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 9:37:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

lol

I said it in the 5th post.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top