Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2018 10:20:45 AM EDT
Currently building an AR10 on a Zev large frame matched receiver set.  I’ve got the zev handguard, and a lower parts kit on the way, but when it comes to the buffer, spring, and tube combo I’m at a loss due to my barrel.

I have a 16” Warsport barrel I got for dirt cheap from Peacegeek.net. With a rifle length gas system.  Yes, you read that right.  Rifle length.  I’m going to put a Superlative arms adjustable gas block on it, and I would like use a PWS enhanced buffer tube on it, but I have no idea what buffer type/weight to go with it, due to the short dwell time.

Any input greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 11:08:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you.  Eventually, yes I do plan to get a 7.62 suppressor and this build will be a host, one reason for an adjustable gas block.  Another detail I didn’t mention is that I also (just this morning) ordered a BCG from peacegeek that is old Warsport stock.  It was a good deal plus I figure same “manufacturer” barrel and BCG is a good idea.

ETA - nvm I figured the spring thing out on my own.  Gotta get an AR10 carbine spring.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Try the Tubbs, or try a spring from heavybuffers.com, and a heavy shorty 308 weight from KAK.

Or get it all from Slash, or where ever. He makes great shit, some people dont like paying for his level or quality though. Kinda hurts when you can find "essentially" the same parts elsewhere.

But yeah, if going wiht AR15 length buffer tube, your spring and buffer choice are more critical than if going with an AR10 length. Using a rifle length gas of a 16"' barrel is actually a good way to deal with alot of over pressure issues with carbine 308s. Without resulting to adjustable gas.

Adjustable gas blocks are suited to more specific roles in my opinion. Theyre different than switch blocks like on the FAL or SCAR, or others. But they offer a variety of benefits, but some come with trade offs.

You dont always need them, and sometimes theyre used improperly to address other issues. Its definitely one of those dont get unless you need parts. But nothing wrong with getting it, keeping it wide open for function testing to determine if there are any gas related issues. And solving them  accordingly.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 3:38:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Has anyone used the Slash XH buffer with the Vltor a5 receiver extension?
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Has anyone used the Slash XH buffer with the Vltor a5 receiver extension?
View Quote
Tons. When there was an Armalite section, he was a big deal there.

KAC went to a longer buffer tube and rifle gas on the carbines as well, that's when everyone started paying attention. It's really the spring more than the buffer.

Slash used Armalite springs he would cut down for the shorty stuff. Now gets them made, and they're very consistent.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 12:32:14 PM EDT
[#7]
What's your port diameter?

You probably won't need adjustable gas if the port is cut optimally for the ammo you choose to shoot.

You can go A5/Vltor/ArmaLite RET length and use standard AR15 carbine buffers with stout springs for a better cycle.

If you go with a shorter AR15 carbine tube, you'll need to use a shorty buffer and stout spring.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top